First Tech Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Best place I've ever worked
Temporary Collections Admin (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORAugust 17, 2017
This was the best 14 months of my personal and professional career. It was only a 6 month contract that was extended to 14 months. I have almost nothing bad to say about working here with exception to some managers that micro-manage. They gave me a chance with no banking experience and went to bat for me and tried to get me on full-time. There wasn't anything available for me in my department so I didn't get to stay but it was an awesome learning experience.
Pros
Great Pay, good benefits, paid training and development hours, strong desire to give back to the community
Cons
Micro managing from some managers but otherwise, none.
Excellent benefits
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 9, 2017
Strict environment. if you enjoy your weekends, I wouldn't apply, but overall great employee benefits, and nice location. There's job movement available, and cross training.
Managers are on-hand. Keep you up to date on regulations. Support community service, and personal in-house development.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
working weekends
Room for improvement
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 2, 2017
Company seems to be disorganized and lacks professionalism. Lots of room for improvement not only for staff but members as well. Successful company that has potential.
With the growth they are loosing touch with the employees
Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 17, 2017
With the growth they are loosing touch with the employees. They are your members as well as co-workers. The best part about working there was the members.
Pros
Helping members
Cons
Managers loosing touch with their employees, Starting to Micro manage. Shorter breaks only 10 mins rather then the 15 most companies give
Lots of things to learn and room for growth
Secondary Markets Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 16, 2017
During a typical day there was a lot of interaction with members and coworkers alike, lots and lots of computer work, and learning on the job each day. Having been in three positions during my time here I learned a lot and was able to practice what I learned daily.

I learned things like cash handling, opening of new accounts, loan origination, IRA and 401K origination, some mortgage lending, wire transfers and much more involved in the financial world. In addition I learned and relearned a lot of how to interact with the public from a financial perspective and how best to communicate that the best option was and how to achieve whatever goals members were striving for.

Management is good for the most part, like any job there are both great and not so great managers. The experience changes from department to department.

The overall culture is very member centric and focused on what the member wants and needs and how to achieve that while providing the highest level of service possible.

The most difficult part was both learning new things and applying them and relearning how to communicate your ideas to members to get them to understand the long term picture.

The most enjoyable part was getting to see the satisfaction on members faces when things ended up working out better than they could have thought possible.
Pros
Good atmosphere and a challenging place to work
Cons
Communication throughout chain of command
It's been a good place to work
Financial Solutions Representative II (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 4, 2017
I have enjoyed working for First Tech. My manager has been a great role model to me and has helped me to acquire new skills for future success. I would highly recommend First Tech!
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMarch 28, 2017
FTFCU was a place of fun but full of production. This place made coming to work something you look forward to every morning. Having all kinds of insensitives to keep the moral going.
EXTREMLY Understaffed
Special Assets Managment (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 6, 2017
Low Pay, Disfuntional Systems, Unorganized Managment, Politics, and a culture of operating well below needed capacity. The culture is to place the burden of problems on their tenure staff, and then as they continue to leave their roles, look around and ask why? The message from the CEO gets lost between the various levels of management looking to make names for themselves. You have a choice to play the politics and spend time worry about how things are perceived and you'll do just fine here. If you like to actually work and come up with solutions to fix on going issues, this is not the place for you if you think that'll help you move up and be shown favorable compensation. Maybe Managment should stop having meetings about what they should do, and spend half the energy they do in meetings towards actually fixing the problems. Step 1 - HIRE MORE PEOPLE!!!
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Under Staffed, Politics, Pay
Productive, great work place, never a dull day
Financial Solutions Representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 23, 2017
Provided exceptional service to members, help guiding each one to meet their financial priorities. Made sure I was engaged, dynamic and genuine in every transaction. In any situation I was the advocate for the member making sure their needs were taken care of. Was readily available to help coach and teach my coworkers tactics I had learned that were successful.
Pros
Great work life balance
Fun Working
Developer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 4, 2017
Nice team to work with First Tech Federal Credit Union.
I had chance to learn lot of things from my team and my manager.
I enjoyed facing new challenges and solving them..
Terrible management, unprofessional
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Great work environment outside of management. They tell you to challenge the status quo but then reprimand you if your do. Head of managers on service side "Royce" has short man complex and is super unprofessional. He also Refused to handle a harassment complaint.
If Consumer Lending had some (not all) better management, it would be a great place to work.
Consumer Lending (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CANovember 25, 2016
Policies and procedures change on a daily basis and depending on who your direct report manager is. Communication between management and the people that actually do the work is terrible and unprofessional. Advancement is subject to favoritism, not work performance. Promises are made by management and not kept.
Pros
Great employees and benefit package
Cons
Terrible direct management, low pay and advancement opportunities
A terrible place to work
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, OROctober 20, 2016
A very toxic environment with a cult like atmosphere. If you're an independent thinker, this place is not for you. Most departments are rigid, unaccepting of change, and work in silos. Group think is a prevalent theme throughout the company and some managers are down-right unprofessional.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule
Cons
Cult like culture, office politics, back stabbing culture
Working Harder not Smarter
Contact Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 5, 2016
First Tech can often translate into low tech on the services and systems offered. Internally many fingers are pointed at those who listen, instead of having the harder conversation with those responsible for poor performance.
Fast paced
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 30, 2016
Many skills gained with this position. Training was approximately 4 weeks. Need to know a wide range of duties, very difficult at first. Some wonderful co-workers there.

Many different work schedules Monday through Saturday.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Under staffed
Amazing Culture
Loan Fulfillment Associate II (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 4, 2016
The culture at First Tech is amazing. The Executive team genuinely cares about the employees and members. However over the last few years we have experienced substantial growth (which is a great thing) but management, over time, has lost a sense of work life balance and is more concerned about exceeding the goals set before us and are requesting employees to sacrifice their personal life to exceed previous set records.
A few things I have learned while with First Tech is 1. You can not make everyone happy 2. Communication is huge in success 3. Recognition and Appreciation go a long way.
Pros
food trucks, growth and development
Cons
no incentives
We actually do have a ping pong table!
eSupport Representative (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 4, 2016
A typical day at work is answering member secure messages received from their online profile. Troubleshoot login issues, Quicken issues, browser issues etc. Support the contact center with questions regarding technical issues.
Consumer Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 29, 2016
I have nothing to add about First Tech. I am thankful for the opportunity they gave me to improve my project management skills.
The IT structure is not well managed
Desktop Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 27, 2016
The culture of the Credit Union was mostly lost in a recent merger, and has become too focused on money, not serving the members. The IT management is out of touch with staff and has recently been the cause of many people in IT leaving.
Credit Unions Aren't Always Better
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 2, 2016
Very political. Some people have had great experiences at the company but I have found it to be rife with hypocrisy. This is a company of favoritism. You don't get ahead because of performance you get ahead because people like you.

The salary is pretty pathetic with little growth potential. That being said because the salary is pretty bad at mid-tier levels finding jobs elsewhere is both fun and easy. It can't get much worse.

Management is awful and there is little in the way of accountability. The culture at First Tech is a joke. I will say though that being in a teller role or lower role there is little that is expected of you and you are paid really well so... being in a lower role I would encourage.
Pros
Good Pay of Tellers
Cons
Pretty Much Everything Else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Tech Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8