First Transit Employee Reviews in United States

Steady but Striving for More
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMay 27, 2016
This company is good as a starting place but not much opportunity for growth. I would love to work at a company where all of my experience can be utilized.
Pros
Meeting people and developing relationships
Cons
Too few hours often no stability in staffing
Great job while attending college
Texas State University Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 25, 2016
flexible with schedule, ok pay, great people to work with. Little pay but a great job for students. Would recommend job to students.
Pros
Great college job
Cons
pay
Different Experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 24, 2016
The transit system as a whole needs some special attention. I was on call everyday of the week for almost three years. The only time I turned my phone off was when I was on vacation (3 Weeks a year). I excepted the position to try and change the culture for the Operators as well as the Supervisors. However, when your the only one that wants to "change the environment" its a tough road to plow. The "special relationship" the company has with the local union made it very tense and unrewarding.

I am very proud of the changes I made with the company and the team I was able to develop. The hardest part of the job was leaving knowing that things where going to go right back to the way they where. I had the best team a manager could ask for, and we would do anything for each other to keep the operation running smooth.
Pros
Working with the team, and celebrating the accomplishments. Working together in the difficult times to make things better.
fun job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 10, 2016
fun and interesting people, strapping down wheelchairs could be challenging at times especially when the client refused to let their chair be strapped then came the challenge of explaining to the elderly or disabled person the necessity of securing the vehicle.
Pros
free rides
Cons
politics
fun but hard work
Shuttle Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2016
driving passengers to and from the airport to the car renter center, loading and unloading passengers luggage and dealing with the every day traffic. meeting people from all over the world
Pros
meeting people
Cons
loading and unloading heavy luggage
Think twice before accepting a job here
Fleet Maintenance Supervisor/Lead (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2016
The job was ok at first, but it all started heading downhill once I got trained. Management is not knowledgeable of their job, and do not care about the employees.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
no advancement
Great Place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDApril 29, 2016
Very Nice not to have someone over your shoulder. Have the potential to make money. Also great people to work around. Very challenging at times but very fun. meet a lot of people
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Very Strict
Driver/Operator
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2016
Drive vehicles following a set schedule or route
Maintain constant contact with the dispatcher and keep track of passenger pickups and drop-offs
good job easy money love driving
Flexible but is really bad maintain
Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2016
I been working on Como base MN for almost 2 years I been driving close to every bus they have on base, must buses are from 2003 must but not all of them have water leaks mostly on the driver area not working heater or AC. The base has a lot a pot holes and not has been fix for a leat 1yr and 1/2 you can get injure really easily. The salary 13.25 not competitive to other bus company around metropolitan area they pay 15hr or 18hr at start and horrible health insurance
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Old buses or bad shape if your are at the driver seat
Steady and gratifying work
Laidlaw Transit, Manager and Driver (Former Employee) –  Bethal Park, PaApril 11, 2016
Pre-trip my busand report to dispatch for my route sheet. Then I would drive the route assisting customers from their home to their destinations. At the end of the day I would fuel my vehicle and do a post trip and register and any discrepancies to maintenance shop.
Pros
Full time work and great customer relation
Cons
Contract worries and shift changes
not productive
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 7, 2016
I started off hearing good things from Managers but, all that was a lie. the only time you can eat is when you stop the bus to let students off or on. Managment sucks, there is a lot of things they don't tell you. When I was in they were unorganized and the Manager him self said that he made a big mistake. You drove unsafe buses. Good luck. Needs better Management
ok
Bus Driver- Paratransit (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 4, 2016
didn't like this particular site. when I was working there it was not that professional and very unorganized. Coworkers where very helpful, hardest part was communicating with operation manager.
good operators
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2016
good bus operators stress free work. long lunch other then that the union is no good the president of the union got caught stealing money from us. they give us no retirement plan low paying job. as a bus operator a person that service the public this is not good. the city of Washington dc is a place that u have to make more then what we make to make it just barley.
Ok
CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 22, 2016
Early starts late endings short lunches; lateral moves but hard to advance in the company, staff is friendly and hr is great
Meeting great co workers and enjoy meetings the college students
Professional Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 18, 2016
The day began by clocking in on time, signing a license credential sheet and checking out a radio. pretrip your vehicle before driving on campus to make sure everything is working appropriately. If the vehicle checks out, head to campus. When on campus, the access driver will wait for the dispatcher to call me on the radio to pick up a passenger who is going to class. The access consists of any student who was on crutches, in a wheel chair, sprang ankle, or any one disabled and wanting to get to class.
Pros
meeting students, wearing uniforms
Cons
no breaks. no 40 hr schedule
Great Worklplace
Driver/ Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, PAMarch 15, 2016
It was a transition from the restaurant industry, but I loved learning a new skill set. Sad to leave when I moved. The workplace was very professional, the workers all were goal driven, and the patients were for the most part very kind and courteous!
they have bully's
Technician B (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMarch 15, 2016
i quit because they do not care about the people i was getting bullied and they did not do anything about it.
i do not recommend this place to work on.
Pros
n/a
Cons
not a friendly place to work
Productive workplace and a positive environment.
Customer Service Information Agent (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMarch 10, 2016
Helping The customers with all their inquiries and needs in a timely manner. Being able to resolve problems by working with the operators dispatchers and processing records as required by issue resolution.
Pros
Was able to get paid to work through lunch when ever they needed us to.
Cons
When The Company Lost Their Contract.
Gook people to work with
BODY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 9, 2016
I have been in the same position for 10 years minimal opportunity for advancement. Turnover is high because of lack of opportunity.
Company of great opportunities. .. skies the limit!
Road Supervisor/Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Bedford Park, IL 60638March 9, 2016
First Transit from day 1 has been a dream come true and never ending fountain of blessings in such a short time from day 1 from when my manager told if u work hard here it will pay off and its been the evident truth all the way from the first day it was spoken all the way til now the training you receive here is life altering and truly top notch the staff second to none its a company that truly tries to always promote from within 1st and to say the least they don't mind talking the time to not only show you but if there's a short fall or possibly some area to help improve you they will take the time to help Ive always loved and come to appreciate that snd most of all the management has a open door policy that they've upheld from day 1 and anyone could appreciate that.
Pros
REWARDS FOR YOUR HARD WORK!
Cons
Working short handed