- Review the position description below to determine if you would like to apply.
- Our process for selecting a candidate begins on Saturday, December 15, 2012, to conclude (provided that a qualified candidate is found) by the end of January, 2013.
- A single round of interviews will be completed via Skype or in person, as possible, on January 11, 2013.
Application Materials (email only, please):
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter detailing why you are interested in the position and why you believe you would be a good fit for both the position and our congregation.
- NOTE: Candidates will be asked to submit a one year plan that includes their vision for engaging with the Nursery through 5th grade children within the Religious Education and Faith Formation Ministry at First Universalist.
o Plan should not exceed one page of text (bulleted list, paragraph form, etc., is the candidate’s choice)
o Please research our congregation online (website and Facebook) to learn more about where we are now and to get a sense of how we might need to grow.
o Include how you would engage the children and parents in relationship building with you as the coordinator, and build the Children’s program, as well as collaboratively fostering communication and relationship that will connect our children with the wider congregation.
- Any supplemental materials that display your qualifications and experience, or
examples of your work in education or religious education.
- Email all materials to: Laura Worley, Director of Faith Formation, email address below
- Application Deadline: Saturday, January 5, 2013 or when a suitable candidate is found
- Interviews for selected candidates will be held on Friday afternoon, January 11 (unless otherwise arranged).
- Position Start Date is February 3, 2013 (unless otherwise arranged).
Position Title: Children’s Coordinator – Nursery to 5th Grade
Hours and Schedule: This position is a .5FTE position. We do not compensate for overtime or flex time unless it is approved in advance, in writing, by your Supervisor.
- Have conversations with teachers, parents and youth about the program on a regular basis to keep communication lines open. This will include face to face conversations, phone calls, forum posts, and emails.
- Maintain a bulletin board about the class (outside the room) posting up-to-date pictures and information. Collaborate with FFRE Team for all other FFRE Bulletin Boards (upstairs and outside supply room).
- Maintain close communication and collaboration with the Director of Faith Formation, including regular updates on events, classes, volunteers, and youth, and communication about any program needs.
- Attend staff meetings and Faith Formation weekly team meetings
Volunteer Recruitment and Support:
- Recruit and develop volunteers for teaching teams for each class – 3-4 people per team.
- Recruit and Coordinate FFRE Greeter Teams for both services.
- Coordinate volunteers to help with bulletin boards, events, etc.
- Provide meetings and trainings to our teacher volunteers as needed.
- Ensure that all volunteers in this program area complete application and/or background screen forms. Turn in all completed forms to the DFF.
- Ensure 2 adults will be in each classroom on Sunday (have them fill out a teaching schedule, set up a substitute team, etc).
- If, on Sunday, a volunteer does not show up (sick or emergency or just is not there), step in and help teach the class or find a volunteer to do the job.
- Provide an easy to read and follow-able lesson plan for each curriculum based class from Preschool to 5th Grades.
- Recruit and coordinate with the Workshop Leaders to be sure they understand our expectations of the workshop and what our worship theme is.
- Provide the books and materials needed for each class or workshop.
- Encourage teachers to use all our seven sources and refer often to our seven principles.
Management of Early Childcare Providers:
- Manage our Early Childcare Providers (preteens and teenagers) who will help on Sundays during both services. Childcare providers start as volunteers and can move into paid positions.
- Ensure we have childcare providers in the Nursery for Sunday. Check and sign their time cards when appropriate.
- Provide periodic coaching of our Childcare providers to ensure they are giving the best care possible.
Responsibilities to Our Children:
- Support the children in the program by seeing what kind of activities they respond to best and offering in-class experiences that meet their needs.
- Promote and support intergenerational events such as the Halloween Festival and Holiday party.
- Be the person to step in, if needed, if there is a conflict or unruly child in the classroom or workshop.
- Promote inter-generational worship and exploration when possible such as with workshops, a child presence in the sanctuary twice a month, etc.
- Ensure that attendance record is accurate for each class every Sunday.
- Work as a team member to ensure the entire Faith Formation and Religious Education Program runs smoothly each Sunday. This includes being willing to step into classrooms that you do not coordinate (a Middle School class or a YRUU session) as a teacher or general helper should the need arise.
- Ensure the rooms are clean and ready to go on Sunday mornings.
- Ensure the room decorations are colorful, age appropriate, and comfortable to be in.
- Promote learning and living our principles.
- Conduct oneself in accordance with Safe Congregations guidelines and with LREDA professional ethics standards.
- Other job duties as assigned by a Supervisor.
Reports To: Director of Faith Formation
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in education or a related field preferred.
Experience: One to five years’ professional or volunteer experience working with children and youth in a religious or related setting. A background check is required.
Compensation: $15/hour for 20 hours per week; health insurance is available at some cost to the employee
Position Starts: February 3, 2013
Indeed - 18 months ago