FirstEnergy Employee Reviews

Great Company
Industrial Hygiene Technician I (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAFebruary 24, 2017
Performed Quantitative Fit Testing for annual testing. Safety Protocol is a must. Management is great and very helpful. Hardest Part was scheduling employees. Traveling was a great experience.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Monotonous work
Great Company to work for
Cyber Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 16, 2017
The work environment is casual and co-workers are extremely knowledgeable and willing to share their experience. Overall the job was fulfilling knowing you are doing your part protecting a critical infrastructure.
Pros
Cafeteria, free cofffee
Cons
Very safe please to work and will provide employee with everything that is needed to accoplish the job
Excellent Housekeeping Practices (Former Employee) –  Shippingport, PAFebruary 12, 2017
Need to be on time
worked during refueling outage 7 10 hour days
work in all conditions some very cold days and very hot during the outage
long hours but go very fast
Pros
Provide overtime during outage
Cons
depending on your job you may work 70 hours a week
relaxed work environment
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2017
My typical work day consisted of me signing in on an computer so that I would be able to pull up customers accounts. I also answered phones, took payments via credit cards or check by mail, explained to people there electric bills, and set up installment plans. The management was great and very helpful with anything I didn't know. The hardest part of the job was talking to unruly customers, and the most enjoyable part was being able to help customers.
Pros
hour lunch, fun environment
Cons
unprofessional environment some days
Seems like a good place to work...
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 17, 2017
if you're hired on. All employees are hired in as contractors to start and you have to earn a hired on spot with the company.

The training is almost 2 months long, but if you have a big training class, prepare to learn at a slow pace and miss out on a lot of helpful info.

They will feed you a lot, and it seems like the job is worth it if you do get hired on.

The worst part is the on call shifts. You have to volunteer to be on call so many weeks out of the year, and if you're on call, you could be called in at any time of the day and you have to come in.
They expect you to work a bunch of overtime to get hired on. I'm sure that's great for some people, but not everyone wants their life to revolve around work.
fun workplace with great energy
Suite Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 5, 2017
I love working at this location. I get the opportunity to network with guest and players throughout the day and after games. Everyone has a smile on their face no matter the outcome of the games score. I just love this job all around
Temp
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVDecember 31, 2016
Was hired on as a contractor, was difficult to prove yourself, you thought you were doing great, but without notice you were on the chop block
Pros
decent pay
Cons
long days in extreme weather
This job is not what it seems.
Customer Service Representative (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 29, 2016
I was a contracted Customer Service Representative for about 9 weeks. Training is hard. You are in classes for about 4 weeks, then you go to nesting, which is when your classwork is mated with using the software, and applying what you learned while handling inbound customer calls. There are a lot of rules because the power utility industry is heavily regulated and First Energy owns 10 operating companies across 6 states.

The first thing to realize is that you are expendable, supernumeray and extremely short-term. You are lied to and constantly told that as long as you a) have perfect attendence, b) a good attitude and c) work to improve, that managment will work with you to help you suceed and that there is a great opportunity to advance, a wonderful career and awesome benefits in your future.

The problem is that this is the sizzle that gets you to commit to them without them having to follow up on it. The reason you are being hired is extremly short term (helping with call volumes and handle times) and if lucky, one or two might someday, be eventually hired. Most people won't be hired through no fault of their own.

I was one of the unfortunately ones. Perfect attendence, worked every overtime offered, good attitude, excellent assessment scores, improving quality and performance scores and none of it mattered. As soon as the holiday rush ended, my staffing company called me just before midnight (woke me up) and told me not to come in to work, I was finished. Never got to talk to any manager about why I wasn't good enough to be kept or worked with to be rehabilitated,
  more... which is what you would expect after 9 weeks of work/training and good performance. I worked hard and was angry at being treated this way!

A coworker got an email telling her not to come to back to work and she had the highest quality scores in the class. There is a lot of croyonism and no manager is to be trusted. Sure, they are nice enough to you and the work environment is good, but there is no stability and no trust. There is nothing worse than working in a job that promises you a career, plays around with your livelihood and future and treats you in the end like a piece of garbage.

In short, the temporary staffing arrangement allows them to get around the union rules and screw people over. The only good news I can say that exists in this job is that your coworkers are top notch, the pay is good and you do get paid without drama and finally, you can get overtime. The rest is a big lie, so don't believe anything you are told. You are hired short term as a temp to cover a call center's overage. Nothing more and nothing less. So if you want to work for ~2 months at $11 an hour, then this is your place. Otherwise I'd pass on it unless you think you can win the lottery.
Pros
You are paid on time for full time, coworkers, overtime.
Cons
no time off ever, lies about future career opportunities, no due process
Average working environment producing electricity
Power plant operator (Current Employee) –  Stratton, OHDecember 25, 2016
Sammis plant is a good place to work and the company is very good to work for. Work environment is average compared to other coal fired power plants. Job security just is not that great anymore.
Productive and fun work enviroment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 20, 2016
Highly recommend working for this company. Great company, benefits, pay, lots of room to move up in the company, great training, everyone in this facility was very outgoing in friendly, little to no gossip. Safety always comes first! You need a badge to get in and out of the facility and also had a policy of no walking and talking and/or texting for your own safety. FirstEnergy truly cares for their workers.
Pros
Clean enviroment, team contest with incentives, good benefits, monday-friday
Cons
Strict policies, On call, Long days which you never knew when you were leaving
Excellent Employer
Consumer Representative (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 15, 2016
I do not have much to say in detail. First Energy is a good employer with great union benefits, hours and management. There are no complaints.
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Productive And Fun Workplace
Cook/Cashier/Prep (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 14, 2016
A Typical Day At Work Was I Will Go To The Basement And Clock In To Begin My Day I Learned How To Mulitask Between Two To Three Lists Of Items Which Would Add Up To At Least To 100 Pounds Or More Management was Excllent My Co-workers were fun everyone worked very well together there were never any altercation the again there was no hard part to the job as long as u followed the items on the list with no problems the most enjoyable part about the job was I got a chance to see the players
Good Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 7, 2016
Good place to work, nice managers. Comfortable work environment fast paced work. Many exciting job opportunities. High stress with great reward.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
sometimes long hours
Productive work place and fairly fun but stressful
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVNovember 12, 2016
In the position I have been able to excel but it has not been easy to maintain a work/life balance here, and it can be very stressful to meet the outlined stats required to meet our goals. The upper management team has tried very heard to make life at the job as fun for us as the can with the little tie that they can provide off the phone but we are under very strict time restraints to meet the demands of the public utility commissions and that stress is handed down to the employees...
Pros
Pay
Cons
Inability to comply with any type of schedule adjustment and stress.
Productive Workplace
Full-time Human Resources Contractor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 30, 2016
Everyday is productive. I come in everyday and start my work and get done what needs to be done for the day. I have picked up many skills, including how to use SAP.
Professional setting
Stadium worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 18, 2016
Gather paper and plastic sweep pathways of peanuts and food and maintain clean restrooms on each floor make start from the top of the stadium and worker our way down the aisle ways towards the fields and pick up any trash
Pros
good enviornment
Cons
a lot of trash to pick up
Everyday in the Nuclear environment brings challenges
Analyst IV, Generation Business Services (Former Employee) –  Perry, OHOctober 5, 2016
I worked for FirstEnergy for 30 years and 4 months. I had fun completing my work tasks and enjoyed the people I worked with. Creating the budget for the entire site was quite a challenge every year, but it was always completed on time and accurately. I decided it was time to retire and was sad to see my employment end, but look forward to other challenges in the future.
Pros
Management, Co-workers, changes to processes
Not the best work environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WV 26554September 26, 2016
the supervisors do not care what is going on just worry about themselves. I was having seizures and was let go due to missing some work because of them even though i had dr notes for every day i missed
Love the co-workers but not so much management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 6, 2016
I worked here for 5 years and ever since training, the top managers in the call center had it out for me. I was the type to show up 45 minutes early every day to set up my computer to be ready to take calls at the start of every shift, I stayed late when ever needed, I would go above and beyond for customers. I learned so much about electric and how to be energy efficient for my home which has helped me save money and allowed me to help customers. Fellow employees were always there to help when you are not able to find a supervisor who was willing to help because they were busy talking to each other or doing other things. For me, management would have quality monitoring go through every call I had and would find the worst calls to grade and would suspend me all the time. If you are not a pet for the supervisors and kiss butt, you will be no where fast. To anyone wanting a job here, be very careful and be on your toes. You do not get paid enough for what you have to go through.
Great benefits and secure work.
Transmission Lineman A (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 20, 2016
Great place to work for! The only thing I could think of to improve First Energy, would be to offer Journeyman Credentials as well as proper certificates for trainings completed.
Cons
Not being able to acquire journeyman status or receive certificates for trainings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstEnergy. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval