FirstEnergy Employee Reviews in United States

My job is enjoyable, fun, and every day is an opportunity to learn something.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 13, 2016
A typical day of work consist of prepping food items for upcoming events and executive staff. On my job I have learned to cook a variety of dishes while the opportunity train under many top chefs within the industry, furthermore my co-workers were team players and existed in a family unit assisting and coaching individuals where needed. In my position I am fortunate enough to say that there is no hard part. I look at each day as a learning opportunity and advancement within the company. I am proud to say that going to work every day and doing something I love is the most rewarding and enjoyable part of my job.
Poorly managed helpdesk and use of their employees.
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJanuary 4, 2016
This company will get rid of you after 2 years so they can hire someone else cheaper instead of giving you a raise. They do not care about transfer of knowledge.

If you work in IT, you have to put in time on the helpdesk. This means that you could have 40 years of IT experience, but they make you answer phone calls to reset passwords. Personally, I think that is a waste of resources. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of the job is staying focused when they are utilizing you to reset passwords when you are capable of so much more.

The most enjoyable part of the job is going to people's desks and interacting with people.

Overall, it just feels like you're not being used to your full potential.
Pros
Cons
Contract work, no chance of advancement, Poorly managed helpdesk.
Not a bad job for what you make.
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVNovember 19, 2015
I was a customer service representative for just over a year. Safety is a top priority for the company and they try to make working there fun. It can be a stressful job and a good portion of your days are spent being yelled at on the phone, However, often times the angry customers are just looking for an outlet and many customers do a 180 if you just listen and try to help them. However, even if a customer is screaming at you or cussing you out, you can never hang up on them. On-call is pushed on you but there's lots of great opportunities for overtime. The pay is decent for what you do and the people are great.
Pros
Culture of safety, nice management, plenty of opportunity for overtime
Cons
Mandatory on-call, not a lot of room to move up
poor management
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 31, 2016
Was a contractor for 2 years with this company. The boss is quick to throw you under the bus. Anything that happens to you or your vehicle whether its your fault or not is your fault. No company trucks you must use your own vehicle. Poor milage compensation . If your vehicle breaks down be prepared to get in trouble for not having a perfect vehicle. This job really beats up your vehicle. It will get to the point to where it feels like you can't afford to work there. No one cares about the contractors you are replaceable. I worked there for 2 years. I would not suggest this job. I worked my butt off did a good job but still got let go.
Pros
made some good friends
Cons
must use your own vehicle.
Very safe place to work. Safety was #1.
Lead Auditor (Former Employee) –  Shippingport, PANovember 4, 2015
Worked at FirstEnergy for 31+ years. Worked various union clerical positions while obtaining my college degree. Was promoted to management positions in Quality Assurance and Human Resources when my degree was completed. Learned so much at this company. Loved my coworkers and the leadership.
Pros
Great place to work. Great people, compensation and benefits.
Cons
Worked long hours during outages.
Great benefits and learning experience
Accountant IV (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 9, 2016
I have had many opportunities to learn and grow in accounting and internal audit. The benefits are great and includes a Pension and 401k match.

Work/life balance depends greatly on the department and assigned responsibilities.
Accomodation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Robinson, PADecember 19, 2015
Answered phone calls of concerned customers. I learned that patience is key. Management cares about their employees. Co-workers are friendly. Remembering everything was very hard. But learning from my mistakes and becoming better is what I enjoyed the most.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Commute
Interesting and fun job
Temporary Full-time Agent (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 8, 2016
I love anything relating to the public, so this job was a great fit for me. Learning about the electric utility, generation and supply, etc was VERY interesting. For the most part, it was a very fun and fast paced atmosphere, and as one could imagine, dealing with electricity is something that demands attention to detail, as something could become a life or death situation in the blink of an eye. I had a great set of coworkers who were easy to get along with and very helpful. Very personable. I only really had an issue with my direct supervisor, but aside from her, everyone there was great. The supervisors and managers were more than willing to step in and help out, if needed, and a lot of the time would also take calls, themselves
Pros
On site cafeteria, easy to get to for shifts, LOTS of volunteer overtime, plenty of room for advancement
Cons
one very surly supervisor
Hard-working nuclear professionals
Exempt-level employee (Current Employee) –  Oak Harbor, OHDecember 14, 2015
Dedicated, hard-working employees at this northwest Ohio power plant who are keenly aware of their responsibility to keep the public safe and the importance of producing nuclear power. This facility has been the only place of employment for many people who work here. While this makes for a comfortable place for those who are from this area, it takes a long time for those transplanted to feel truly part of the team.

Overall I believe FirstEnergy is OK, but their approach to Work / Life Balance, especially at the generating facilities, is not sustainable to the next generation.
Pros
Professional culture, questioning attitude
Cons
Negativity; joyless environment
Safety Focused Company
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 19, 2016
Management is wonderful in the Meter Reading department. You are expected to do a full days work and you are compensated well for the work you do. The company has a great focus on safety and realizes that it is important for an employee to remain safe and uninjured. This ideology works very well for both the employee as well as the employer.
It's Where dreams go to die
Account Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 5, 2016
I had the displeasure of working or slaving at the FE. You will be forced into overtime no matter what your schedule is, as well a minimal opportunity for advancement. All the reviews an ow ratings of this company cant be and arent wrong
Great Place to Work
Desktop Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 1, 2016
Very nice environment,Great Co-worker,easy to communicate with client,Great management, I enjoy part of the job. Day are very easy and very enjoyable
Pros
great people
Cons
contractor
Very Stressful environment required to work long shifts
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work involved communicating with customers in regards to their utility bills, and researching accounts. I learned patience. The management was ok but not to friendly, the co-workers were great. The hardest part was the mandatory 11 hour shifts during winter storms sometimes for 2 weeks straight with no days off. The most enjoyable part was being able to help the customers
Pros
The pay was great
Cons
Overworked
Decent Work Place
Power Station Engineer (Former Employee) –  Courtney, PAMarch 15, 2016
Work environment is decent with a high level of work options. Mid level management could use some improvements for proper employee representation.
Retired 02/06/2013
Power Plant Operator/Control Room operator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 10, 2015
Provided a stable income to raise my family, 35yrs I worked there without any regret. The hardest part of the job was shift work every week a different shift, most enjoyable was working along side with my fellow workers, There was a lot of interesting people I came in contact with.
Fun Place to work
Generation Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJanuary 13, 2016
One of the best places that I have had the privilege to work for. Friendly working group, good respectable management. the one draw back was the long shift hours.
Pros
New things to learn
Cons
Shift work
self motivated job
vendor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 17, 2015
i never thought i could sell beer the way i did here i learned how to compete with others to get a sell co worker are very competitive the really hardest part of the job is selling your beer because theres so many other vendors out there with you but the best part of the job is counting up your tips before you leave
Great benefits and secure work.
Transmission Lineman A (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 20, 2016
Great place to work for! The only thing I could think of to improve First Energy, would be to offer Journeyman Credentials as well as proper certificates for trainings completed.
Cons
Not being able to acquire journeyman status or receive certificates for trainings.
Good Compensation and Benefits
Nuclear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Perry, OhioMay 20, 2015
Currently travel assessing QA programs relative to basic components.

Delegation is key.

Management changes impact operations.

Co-workers are very experienced.

Hardest part of job is difficulty with advancement and lack of job progression execution

Co-worker and opportunity to assess various business operations
Benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunity
Very productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMay 24, 2016
Awesome company to work for. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and advancement at this company. The company does offer overtime often which is nice for some extra compensation. Supervisors are very supportive.