FirstEnergy Employee Reviews

Not a bad job for what you make.
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVNovember 19, 2015
I was a customer service representative for just over a year. Safety is a top priority for the company and they try to make working there fun. It can be a stressful job and a good portion of your days are spent being yelled at on the phone, However, often times the angry customers are just looking for an outlet and many customers do a 180 if you just listen and try to help them. However, even if a customer is screaming at you or cussing you out, you can never hang up on them. On-call is pushed on you but there's lots of great opportunities for overtime. The pay is decent for what you do and the people are great.
Pros
Culture of safety, nice management, plenty of opportunity for overtime
Cons
Mandatory on-call, not a lot of room to move up
Very safe place to work. Safety was #1.
Lead Auditor (Former Employee) –  Shippingport, PANovember 4, 2015
Worked at FirstEnergy for 31+ years. Worked various union clerical positions while obtaining my college degree. Was promoted to management positions in Quality Assurance and Human Resources when my degree was completed. Learned so much at this company. Loved my coworkers and the leadership.
Pros
Great place to work. Great people, compensation and benefits.
Cons
Worked long hours during outages.
Great company to work for but...
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 26, 2015
Great job with job security. However, they do not work with you when you need them too. I went through some legal things and because I could not get them the information in time, they wouldn't give me my job back.
Enjoyable worplace
Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 6, 2015
I have worked for FirstEnergy for nearly four years. Thus far, I have been extremely satisfied with all aspects of the job. I have only encountered one member of management who was not of great quality, but everyone else has been outstanding!
Good workforce
Senior Customer Accounting (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 28, 2015
Good place to learn and grow. Busy everyday but enjoyable when you have good workers and everyone work as a team...Customer service was an growing learning experience
Weak communication and planning on Work Order Jobs.
Supply Chain Analyst II Nuclear Facility (Former Employee) –  Perry, OHJune 22, 2015
Enjoyed able to work undisturbed, but when questions arise difficult to find help or support. Good co-workers but due to companys lack of appreciation, attitudes are low.
Good Compensation and Benefits
Nuclear Specialist (Current Employee) –  Perry, OhioMay 20, 2015
Currently travel assessing QA programs relative to basic components.

Delegation is key.

Management changes impact operations.

Co-workers are very experienced.

Hardest part of job is difficulty with advancement and lack of job progression execution

Co-worker and opportunity to assess various business operations
Benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunity
Okay
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 13, 2015
Relatively quiet and kind of boring. Would like to have been in more active environment. People are nice for the most part but they are completely understaffed here. Tons of work with not enough people and nearly all employees are quickly approaching retirement.
Productive Work Place
Sr. Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioApril 29, 2015
Great Work environment. Learned great customer service skills and inter personal skills on and off the telephone. Work Hours however, where long and sometimes mandatory overtime became problematic.
Decent pay and hours but that's where it ends.
Meter Reader I (Former Employee) –  Frederick MDFebruary 19, 2015
I was a Meter Reader for Potomac Edison in Frederick Maryland.

Pros:
The pay was decent, the hours were good. My particular position was a Union positon which allowed for third party representation which was nice.

Cons: The company stresses "Job Safety" like I've never seen before (which is great) however the management always contradicts the safety policy because of outrageous demand:employee ratio.
Any unstability between Union and First Energy Corp. leaves your job at risk (and the relationship between the two is less consistant than the stock market)

To those that snag a job here... best of luck to ya.
Pros
decent pay, normal business hours
Cons
i'd be typing all day in this box
Productive and busy but a great learning experience.
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAFebruary 5, 2015
The management for my department is very good at what they do. The Manger and the more senior members of my department go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to help you learn new things. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job... learning how to cope with working long hours (especially during busy season) and depending on other departments for information in order to do our job. Each department has their own priorities and requests from other departments take a back seat. That happens sometimes in my own department, it's a side effect of being in Tax since it's always a hard deadline you're trying to meet. The best part of my job is... my co-workers and learning new things.

Since I started at FirstEnergy I learned several different computer programs including SAP, Qlikview, UIPlanner, & FERC Form 1 software. I also learned how to process property tax bills for payment from six different states. I learned how to process West Virginia Local Business & Occupation tax, Excise tax, & Business License fees. I handled Federal Excise returns, International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) returns, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use returns. I file the Kilo-watt hour tax returns for Ohio as well as some zero Sales & Use returns and zero Gross Receipts returns.
Terrible Company, poor management
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OhJanuary 19, 2015
I was a contractor for 10+ months as a meter reader for FirstEnergy. It was the worst company I have ever worked for. Anything that happens, regardless if it is your fault or not, you are responsible for. H.R. does not care about employees. You are replaceable in their eyes.I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Cons
you must work through lunch and all breaks to even come close to finishing
Upgrade to HP ServiceCenter 6.1
Senior Consultant Systems Implementer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 8, 2015
We had daily meetings where we planned the upgrade. We were implementing HP AssetCenter, HP Connect-it & HP ServiceCenter to build a life cycle of an Asset. the people were very professional and challenging. The hard part was communicating the plans on how were were going to complete the upgrade.
large corparation in many states
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 28, 2014
overall a great company great room for advancement and the support staff have a good labor union
Productive and fun place to work at.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Reading, PADecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work started at 8 am which means at 8 am you are ready to take your first call, not just walking in the door at 8 am. There was mandatory over-time a lot of days so we'd to be prepared before hand. When we did have to work overtime management made sure we had a good meal and anything else we needed to get the job done. Management had a open door policy which was a good thing.Our call center consisted up to 200 employees. My company was one of the best companies I ever worked for, They took care of there employees. Which is probably was employed with them for 14 years.
Very stable workplace, not so great job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHDecember 3, 2014
The hiring process was very intensive, and I was very excited for this job. It's a very stable workplace (they need good phone reps) with plenty of overtime you can pick up weekly. I advanced quickly to the billing department. Unfortunately, being screamed at by customers over the phone took a toll on me pretty quickly. Customers would be immediately screaming at you when you answered the call, and there was really nothing you could do about it. You try to help them, but really, your job is to convince the customers that their bill is correct and they really do owe $_____ for electricity/their meter hasn't sped up/nobody is stealing their electricity. Also, it is nearly impossible to get time off. While you're still a temp (and you have to start as a temp), you basically sign up for 6 months with NO time off, period. Also, you only get a 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks; not nearly enough to decompress and calm down before getting back on the phone again.

Also, they treat the employees like children. For example, one person hit his head on an AC unit while talking on his cellphone (his boss called him while he was in between training sessions). After that, you weren't allowed to WALK and TALK on your cellphone at the same time during breaks. They just...don't trust you at all.
Pros
extensive overtime opportunities, great management support, room for advancement.
Cons
short breaks, you very frequently get screamed at by customers and there's no way to avoid it, very hard to get any time off.
I Wish it were better!
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Southwestern PAOctober 22, 2014
Temporary Position leads to nowhere. They need the help but won't hire it. Position can end in 6 month's with no extension and that's that. The direct mangers hands are tied unfortunately because upper mgmt thinks they know what's best and they dont. They change their mind constantly and the future is uncertain. Union Contract is unsettled and the company wants to take away alot. They raised union dues in the process plus they want to add smart meters in the near future which will eliminate jobs. It's unfortunately not what it used to be or should be. Someone needs to get it together. And the higher ups should be ashamed.
Pros
decent hours
Cons
uncertainty of future
Unfulfilling work
Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee) –  North Perry, OHOctober 9, 2014
Physical security at a nuke plant. I've worked here for four years. It's a lot of sitting around waiting for terrorists to attack. Boring work, unfulfilling. The pay is great if you are willing to spend all of your time there and have no life outside of work. We work twelve hour rotating shifts. Be prepared to work nearly every weekend and holiday. Management doesn't seem to care much about employees. It's a job to pay the bills, but don't look for any job satisfaction out of it.
Pros
high pay, opportunity for overtime, decent benefits, great coworkers
Cons
boring, unfulfilling, terrible management, poor work/life balance, no room for advancement.
Drafter III
Drafter III, Substation Engineering & Design (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 8, 2014
I enjoy working with the AutoCAD that I use at work. The work is quite challenging. Engineering field keeps me thinking of new ideas.
Pros
working in a job i like.
Cons
never sure of what might come up next.
Contracted Position
Executive Assistant Leadership (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHSeptember 6, 2014
Loved working here, would like to get hired in as an employee rather than a contractor.
Pros
excellent management
Cons
no job security for contractors