FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy Employer Reviews

Good stable company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Akron, OHAugust 29, 2014
Good recession-proof company. Not so great during severe outage conditions for anywher in the Midwest to East Coast. Mandatory 12 hour days during those outages and "on-call" 6-8 weeks out of the year (also mandatory).
No comment.
Chemistry Instructor (Former Employee), Perry, OHJune 30, 2014
Pros: no comment.
Cons: no comment
I have no comment to give. I am filling out this section because it is required. I don't know how much detail is required but I don't wish to elaborate other than to say I worked for this company for 13 years and believe the current management in my department has no understanding about how to manage people.
Lies, Half-truths, bait and switch job opportunities
Associate TSO (offered/refused) (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 14, 2014
I applied for a certain job at FE, but then when they contacted me to get more information, it was for a lower position, at significantly lower pay than I was making at the time. When I questioned this, the HR person seemed to be responsive, but then continued as if I'd said nothing. I was then told to meet for an interview, and I thought maybe I could – more... convince them that I was worth the original position I applied for because after 15 years doing the job, I am not a trainee. They were 'proud' to offer me a position as a trainee. I turned them down, and stayed where I am now. They advertise for one position, and try to hire you at a lower position for lower pay. Clearly bait and switch. Over the years I'd heard that FE frequently has union problems, and many suits. If they do bait and switch with a new hire, then they probably do far worse to their employees. Stay away from FE. – less
Average Working Environment
Advanced Engineer (Former Employee), Shippingport, PAApril 18, 2014
Pros: perception of job security, some semblance of job training if you self study
Cons: management, poor benefit, regulatory issues, union, company performance, long hours
My position was at one of their nuclear facilities, everything we did was such an uphill climb. Management has been selected to be ultra conservative based on years 'experience'. In this case experience translated to old management practices and reluctance to upgrade even the most basic equipment to 2013 standards.

I would never recommend this environment – more... for a young professional, it will probably be detrimental to your career.

The regulatory environment surrounding nuclear power is so overwhelming (internally and externally) and management provided no buffer, this made it difficult to focus on the real issues. I remember arriving at work one morning when an auditor was waiting to grill me. This audit had been scheduled for months and not a single manager or supervisor informed me of it.

The pay was below average, the Union environment meant a major disparities in earnings. The company had implemented pay cuts, wage freezes, and cut benefits (401k, pension, medical, dental) during my five years with the company. Seriously, 2% match on a 401k, mandatory (unpaid) overtime, no bonus, etc is an insult.

The company faces major headwinds due to its inability to recognize the changing energy market. Google it and see the plant closures and low demand in the PJM footprint.

In retrospect the only upside of this job was perception of job security at a nuclear facility but that has been challenged by multiple plant closures (again, google it). I guess some of my co-workers made it tolerable but as a whole the personnel were tough to work with and culture was not positive. – less
enjoyed my job
Sr. Electrical Drafter/CAD Operator (Former Employee), Akron, OHMarch 6, 2014
Prepared documentation for Substation Engineering projects. This included installation revisions for as-built, construction documentation, battery replacement, wiring diagrams, circuit layouts, electrical layout plans, and one-line diagrams. Additionally skilled in data entry including bill of materials, cable & conduit ID lists and connection diagrams – more... and data entry for cad drawings and documents into file-net. – less
FE took over Allegheny Energy and destroyed a lot of great local jobs
Results Technician (i&c) (Former Employee), Hatfield's Ferry Power PlantFebruary 24, 2014
For unknown reasons, the company had shut down 3 out of 5 PA Plants, they're selling off the hydro plant too! A larger Ohio company, with cloudy reasoning has devasted it's work force in PA. Use extreme caution with this company!
Good company
Meter Reader (Current Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: cookouts, luncheons.
Cons: none.
Great company with the great employees and benefits. Made some life long friends. Work at your own pace as long as the job is done SAFELY. They always tell us they pay us to be Safe. Great motto to live by. Summertime lunches to break up the monotony of day in and day out work.
lesson learned
Video Network Specialist (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 11, 2014
I enjoyed going to work every day. My goal was to retire from this company. I was a very quick learner and there wasn't a job that I didn't enjoy.
Productive, fast paced ever-changing environment
Advanced Customer Accounting Associate (Current Employee), Brecksville, OHJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: standard work hours
Cons: alot of dead end positions
Productive, fast paced ever-changing environment.
Standard policies and procedures.
Multiple locations.
Productive but unchallenging
PJM/MISO Interconnection Project Manager (Former Employee), Akron, OhioDecember 4, 2013
Pros: fun work atmosphere …and advancement
Cons: utility…. everything moves snail pace
A typical day at work: Substation design and construction management, cost estimating

What you learned: Collaboration and team work

Management: supportive, old fashioned..knowledgeable

Your co-workers: fun people and knowledgeable

The hardest part of the job: None

The most enjoyable part of the job: My Coworkers
Good company to work for.
Power Plant Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioOctober 28, 2013
I have been with FirstEnergy for almost 13 years and have risen through the ranks pretty fast. The day FirstEnergy hired me till now has been the best experience of my working career. I would love to retire from this company but the current issue's facing the electric utilities in todays environmentally driven world might make that impossible. The plant – more... I am currently working at along with several others are slated to be shut down in about 18 months. – less
Requires that you give a lot and gives nothing back
Energy Delivery Utilities (Current Employee), Akron, OhioOctober 26, 2013
Pros: immediate co-workers
Cons: management, no incentive to do well, outage duty, sadness
The benefit packages are decent (or were decent, they are mediocre now with health care changes) and the pay is good. They pay just enough to make you feel like you can't go anywhere else and make the same amount starting at day one. But doesn't pay enough for the jobs you are expected to do. Vacation allotment is decent. No room for advancement. None – more... at all unless you know someone or your current Director sees value in your department, Directors change frequently. Not a lot of guidance on projects which is held against you later, most projects that directly affect you and your department are farmed out to groups and circles that are considered the current "stars" of the company. No room to make positive change or an impact in your own department. Hardest part of the job is Outage duty. You are not permitted to say no to storm. Storm duty can last 2 - 3 weeks at a time, no days off, all 16 hour shifts. Illness in the family doesn't even exempt you from storm. Best part of the job, co-workers. A definite unhappy camaraderie. – less
Fast paced and demanding
Analyst II (Current Employee), Akron, OhAugust 13, 2013
Pros: mostly positive experience with non-management co-workers.
Cons: difficult management, cost cutting measures
My department focuses on multiple projects at a single time. We are basically a group of consultants for all departments within FirstEnergy to ustilize. Quality is the main form of advertisement that we use. Each day varies based up on the projects that you are assigned. We work in groups and each analyst usually has 4-6 projects at a time.

I have – more... a learned a great deal in my tenure at FirstEnergy. Skills range from MS Office, SAP, and a few other software programs. The development of working relationships with team mates and professional relationships with customers/sponsors is highly encouraged.

The experience that I've had with management has varied greatly. Some have been outstanding role models while others fall on the opposite end of the spectrum.

My co-workers (non-management) are my most favorite part of my job. I have formed strong relations with my teammates due to the interaction we have on our projects.

The hardest part of my job is trying to effectively manage the projects that I am assigned. Each one requires different commitment levels and different products so management of time is critical for success. – less
stressful, but can be fun
Advance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Akron, OHJuly 8, 2013
on the phone from the time you get there till you leave. due to the fact this is a electric company you tend to work long hrs if there are outages.

the worst part was it was like working in a high school. to much gossip and everyone wanting in you business.
TERRIBLE PLACE- ALL OFFICE POLITICS
Business Analyst (Former Employee), ohioJune 28, 2013
Cons: no advancement unless you know som eone
The company when they re-organize, they might change your job still within the same group but lower your tittle, basically a demotion. You can fight and win, but if there is another re-org, you will be the first one out of the door
Dynamic environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Akron, OHApril 30, 2013
Constantly changing workload that demanss the ability to handle multiple priorities
Tough job with decent pay
Advanced Generation Specialist (Current Employee), Oregon, OHApril 14, 2013
Pros: good benefits, which include a pension.
Cons: on call 24 / 7 / 365
My day starts with a review of the previous shift(s) logs and reports, then I review and update my schedule. Throughout the day, I follow up with progress of ongoing projects, attend meetings, plan for future projects, and provide training and technical expertise as needed.
FirstEnergy Corp Treasury
Accounts Receivable Associate (Former Employee), Akron OhioApril 14, 2013
Pros: free lunch, education reimbursement, short term incentives, training
Cons: management & "office drama"
In a Faced paced multi-task operation, customer payments are received in from United States Postal Service, envelopes are sorted, opened, digitally imaged, printed date of receipt, filed, and digitally transferred to banks. On average, approximately 110,000 payments are processed in a distinguishing manner using several unique OPEX machines and running – more... data through UNNYSIS software. Special operations include process of oracle and FirstEnergy Solutions high dollar payments, handling detailed inner office mail, Comsquare Document Workflow Center, distribution of returned mail, and account look ups for damaged mail and accounts with no account numbers using SAP software.

Was a drama office from low worker to management. Everyday there was some kind of drama. – less
Associate Human Resources Representative (Former Employee), Eastlake, OHApril 14, 2013
Pros: good group of people
Cons: political atmosphere
Loved my co-workers. Learned a lot about my field and the company. Enjoyed being part of the United Way events that FirstEnergy fully supported and encouraged.
It's a terrible place to work, no work life balance
Analyst (Former Employee), OhioMarch 8, 2013
very control manage. Management needs to give people more work life balance and let them think for themselves. Buy dinner for people who work overnight to get the work done. Let them go home to their families. Need to get rid of managers who been with the company for 20 years or more. Need new fresh young minded people