FirstEnergy Employee Reviews

Not the best work environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WV 26554September 26, 2016
the supervisors do not care what is going on just worry about themselves. I was having seizures and was let go due to missing some work because of them even though i had dr notes for every day i missed
Great benefits and secure work.
Transmission Lineman A (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 20, 2016
Great place to work for! The only thing I could think of to improve First Energy, would be to offer Journeyman Credentials as well as proper certificates for trainings completed.
Cons
Not being able to acquire journeyman status or receive certificates for trainings.
Meter Reader Good Ole Blue Collar Work!!!
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Medina, OHJuly 12, 2016
Still pretty New but after reading other replys figured Id give my take!! With this job you will earn every penny!! Lots of walking and plenty of hazards with Dogs of all sorts allllll the time!! If your thinking of getting a job well thats great but if your not the working hussling type dont bother!! This is a true Blue Collar job!! No time for day dreaming or slackers here...on your toes constantly!! Ive met some good people and personally I have no problems with management for the most part...Best part is most managers have done their time in the trenches and actually know what their talking about!! Another plus part of the job is your pretty much out there on your own all day so got no one to blame but yourself!! Not to thrilled about beating my vehicle up with minimal compensation other than gas mileage. I feel the pay is outstanding and not alot of mandatory OT so definitely a family mans dream job!!
Pros
Good pay, good people, no OT so get to hang with my family more.
Cons
Rough on personal vehicle Dogs Dogs and Dangerous Dogs ;)
Interesting and fun job
Temporary Full-time Agent (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 8, 2016
I love anything relating to the public, so this job was a great fit for me. Learning about the electric utility, generation and supply, etc was VERY interesting. For the most part, it was a very fun and fast paced atmosphere, and as one could imagine, dealing with electricity is something that demands attention to detail, as something could become a life or death situation in the blink of an eye. I had a great set of coworkers who were easy to get along with and very helpful. Very personable. I only really had an issue with my direct supervisor, but aside from her, everyone there was great. The supervisors and managers were more than willing to step in and help out, if needed, and a lot of the time would also take calls, themselves
Pros
On site cafeteria, easy to get to for shifts, LOTS of volunteer overtime, plenty of room for advancement
Cons
one very surly supervisor
I do not work for First Energy
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Brecksville, OHJuly 6, 2016
I do not have an opinion of First Energy since I am not an employee of First Energy. I only work there as an independent contractor.
Associate Transmission Operator
Associate Transmission System Operator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 5, 2016
Felt like a prison, amazing money but is it worth it? You decide. If you don't mind the 12 hour shifts and the prison like feeling, go for it.
Uncaring environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 17, 2016
I worked at first energy for about a year and a half. At first i didnt mind it, i worked in customer service since I've started working, i do not mind working with customers/people. i am a HUGE people person. As time went on, the job got more frustrating, working for this company got more frustrating. They put you into training for 8 weeks before you hit the floor and are on your own. Teach you what to say to customers, what the proper information is, what the companies guidelines are. All of a sudden, its like all of that went out the door, supervisors weren't following guidelines, just so they didn't need to take an escalated call, making us as repersentives look like we are incompetent doing our jobs.. i don't think realizing this is why customers so often ask "well i believe a supervisor will give me a different answer" They have no care or sympathy for their employees. You are expected to do SO MUCH for them (example: ALL the over time you are FORCED to do, as well as stopping your life 11 weeks + out of the year to be on call) You have no say, but god forbid you take a sick day, or would like a personal day. Its not all bad tho, i met some wonderful people with this company, and i will cherish their friendships. This place just needs to care about their employees a little bit more, then maybe the employees willl care about the customers as well, if they feel like they are actually being appreciate and seen for what they do by management, instead of only ever being told what you are doing wrong.
Pros
The people.
Cons
not a positive environment.
a place to learn and grow
Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Perry, OHJune 16, 2016
Provided me with the opportunity to gain an education and increase my skills in projects and management, from coordinator to supervisor to superintendent
I wouldn't recommend this company to a friend...
Nuclear Engineer (Former Employee) –  Shippingport, PAJune 3, 2016
I worked for several years at FirstEnergy and after being gone for over 3 months now working for a new company, I can say without a doubt that there are way better companies to work for.

I'll start with the pros, then end with the cons.

Pros

1. Compensation. There's no doubt that you will make decent money working for FirstEnergy. They pay their employees well. Yes, I agree you need to make money to support yourself. But when you're laying on your death bed, are you going to look back and care about how much money you made? I personally don't believe they pay you enough for what you have to deal with, but compared to the average salary it is above average.

2. Employee gym. I know not all FE locations will have an employee gym, but this was a huge plus at BV. You also had the freedom to exercise during your lunch hour as long as you were getting your work done.

3. Great friends. I made a lot of great friends during my time at FE. Although there were a handful of negative people, there were also lots of good, friendly people who I spent a great deal of time with outside of work.

Cons

1. Work/life balance. This was absolutely the #1 reason I left FE. Their work/life balance is horrible. Get ready for mandatory 72 hour work-weeks on nightshift during refueling outages and being on call every fourth week for no extra pay. And not to mention all of the holidays and weekends you'll have to work when there's an issue at the plant. It didn't matter what was going on in your personal life, you were expected to be there. And the kicker is you have to work 5 free hours
  more... during these long work weeks. So from 40-45 hours you get no extra pay.

2. Management. I did not particularly care for the management style at FE. The organization is very top heavy. There are a lot of supervisors, managers, and directors and not many workers. And you had to have a million meeting in order to get anything done. Most managers were running around like their hair was on fire without really getting anything done. Management did not really show much appreciation for the workers, which I think would go a long way.

3. Not much room for advancement. Unless you wanted to go and become a senior reactor operator (SRO) and work shift work in the control room, there was essentially no room for advancement at FE. They liked managers to have an SRO license. You could progress in the ranks in your particular position but if your goal is to move up the Corporate Ladder, be prepared to pay your dues by working shift work for several years as an SRO, and then they may consider plucking you out for a management position.

4. Boring work. I did learn a lot during my years at BV, but it just didn't feel like real engineering work. At times I felt like a glorified admin. At my new company I'm actually doing real engineering work and using stuff that I learned in school.

At the end of the day, I would not recommend working at FE to a friend. I am truly grateful for my time there, but there are way better companies to work for.

My impression is that they pay you a lot to try to keep you there, so it can be hard to break away because of the money. But for me and my life, there are things that are a lot more important than money. And now that I'm in a job that has a much better work/life balance, I'm way more happy than I was when I worked at FE.

This job might be great for someone else. This was just my experience here and I hope it is helpful in helping you make a decision on whether or not to work here.
Pros
compensation, employee gym, great friends
Cons
work/life balance, management, not much room for advancement, boring work
Very productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMay 24, 2016
Awesome company to work for. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and advancement at this company. The company does offer overtime often which is nice for some extra compensation. Supervisors are very supportive.

Want to know more about FirstEnergy?

Ask a question
Horrible Work/Life Balance
Supervisor - Tax Audits, Research and Planning (Current Employee) –  Morristown, NJMay 16, 2016
Short Staffed which leads to no work life balance and management does not recognize the problem. Need to work much unpaid overtime just to complete normal workload.
Benefits
Cons
Non Paid Overtime
Summary
Salesman, going door to door selling energy (Former Employee) –  Fairview Park, OH 44126April 27, 2016
Its was a job i found in between jobs. Its was o.k. for the time being. I really do not have anything bad to say about this company. I just wasn't what I was looking for.
Not looking good for the long term.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Perry, OHApril 18, 2016
As a engineer working here I say that your typical day at work will be struggling with management to get projects approved, documenting things to cover yourself when they decide not to approve them and pass the blame when something breaks or evaluations happen. Management uses engineers to lie to evaluators stating that they will implement said projects and fix things, this keeps the managers clear from any repercussions. There is a struggle with the huge knowledge transfer curve. The older guys don't want to share everything with younger ones due to fear of being retired.

You will be expected to give 5 hours of unpaid overtime each week. There are lots of corporate politics and a internal good 'ole boy culture, either your "in" or your "out". Long term, it would appear as if FirstEnergy is trying to get out of generation according to the felling from the all hands meetings.

There have been times at owners group meetings, corporate trips to vendor sites, and corporate office trips where co-workers have cut down fellow co-workers and industry professionals to others in the industry behind their backs.

The company preaches to report safety and workplace violations, however if you do, you will be met with a subtle retaliation in such a way that your job is threatened and said report will be brushed under a rug.

The engineers tried to unionize in 2012, that should be a red flag to any job seeker.

Stay away and stay far away from this company, unless you are extremely desperate.
Cons
Short Breaks, Stingy Management, Benefits are getting worse
Productive Place To Work
Consultant Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Shippingport, PAApril 11, 2016
I was given the opportunity to actually do my job, plenty of support for Upper Management. I Enjoy going to work, I am given the tools and training that are needed for me to complete my work.
Pros
Support
Cons
It's Where dreams go to die
Account Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 5, 2016
I had the displeasure of working or slaving at the FE. You will be forced into overtime no matter what your schedule is, as well a minimal opportunity for advancement. All the reviews an ow ratings of this company cant be and arent wrong
poor management
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 31, 2016
Was a contractor for 2 years with this company. The boss is quick to throw you under the bus. Anything that happens to you or your vehicle whether its your fault or not is your fault. No company trucks you must use your own vehicle. Poor milage compensation . If your vehicle breaks down be prepared to get in trouble for not having a perfect vehicle. This job really beats up your vehicle. It will get to the point to where it feels like you can't afford to work there. No one cares about the contractors you are replaceable. I worked there for 2 years. I would not suggest this job. I worked my butt off did a good job but still got let go.
Pros
made some good friends
Cons
must use your own vehicle.
Awesome employer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 28, 2016
FirstEnergy was a great company to work at. I learned a lot about data entry and dealing with angry customers. The managers were great and made the training fun. My biggest issue with the company was how demanding it was.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
call handling time
Safety Focused Company
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 19, 2016
Management is wonderful in the Meter Reading department. You are expected to do a full days work and you are compensated well for the work you do. The company has a great focus on safety and realizes that it is important for an employee to remain safe and uninjured. This ideology works very well for both the employee as well as the employer.
Productive day in helping others...
cashier (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 17, 2016
I wake up already with a plan. I know what my day consist of and I know my time frames. I keep a smile on my face for me and for others. I help my day get better as well as my peers so that work may be better for everyone.
Pros
Nice honest and caring
Cons
nice honest and caring
Decent Work Place
Power Station Engineer (Former Employee) –  Courtney, PAMarch 15, 2016
Work environment is decent with a high level of work options. Mid level management could use some improvements for proper employee representation.