FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy Employer Reviews

Productive and busy but a great learning experience.
Tax Analyst (Current Employee), Greensburg, PAFebruary 5, 2015
The management for my department is very good at what they do. The Manger and the more senior members of my department go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to help you learn new things. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job... learning how to cope with working long hours (especially during busy season) and depending on other departments for information in order to do our job. Each department has their own priorities and requests from other departments take a back seat. That happens sometimes in my own department, it's a side effect of being in Tax since it's always a hard deadline you're trying to meet. The best part of my job is... my co-workers and learning new things.

Since I started at FirstEnergy I learned several different computer programs including SAP, Qlikview, UIPlanner, & FERC Form 1 software. I also learned how to process property tax bills for payment from six different states. I learned how to process West Virginia Local Business & Occupation tax, Excise tax, & Business License fees. I handled Federal Excise returns, International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) returns, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use returns. I file the Kilo-watt hour tax returns for Ohio as well as some zero Sales & Use returns and zero Gross Receipts returns.
Terrible Company, poor management
Meter Reader (Former Employee), Elyria, OhJanuary 19, 2015
Cons: you must work through lunch and all breaks to even come close to finishing
I was a contractor for 10+ months as a meter reader for FirstEnergy. It was the worst company I have ever worked for. Anything that happens, regardless if it is your fault or not, you are responsible for. H.R. does not care about employees. You are replaceable in their eyes.I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.
Upgrade to HP ServiceCenter 6.1
Senior Consultant Systems Implementer (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 8, 2015
We had daily meetings where we planned the upgrade. We were implementing HP AssetCenter, HP Connect-it & HP ServiceCenter to build a life cycle of an Asset. the people were very professional and challenging. The hard part was communicating the plans on how were were going to complete the upgrade.
large corparation in many states
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Akron, OHDecember 28, 2014
overall a great company great room for advancement and the support staff have a good labor union
Productive and fun place to work at.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Reading, PADecember 28, 2014
A typical day at work started at 8 am which means at 8 am you are ready to take your first call, not just walking in the door at 8 am. There was mandatory over-time a lot of days so we'd to be prepared before hand. When we did have to work overtime management made sure we had a good meal and anything else we needed to get the job done. Management had a open door policy which was a good thing.Our call center consisted up to 200 employees. My company was one of the best companies I ever worked for, They took care of there employees. Which is probably was employed with them for 14 years.
Very stable workplace, not so great job.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fairlawn, OHDecember 3, 2014
Pros: extensive overtime opportunities, great management support, room for advancement.
Cons: short breaks, you very frequently get screamed at by customers and there's no way to avoid it, very hard to get any time off.
The hiring process was very intensive, and I was very excited for this job. It's a very stable workplace (they need good phone reps) with plenty of overtime you can pick up weekly. I advanced quickly to the billing department. Unfortunately, being screamed at by customers over the phone took a toll on me pretty quickly. Customers would be immediately screaming at you when you answered the call, and there was really nothing you could do about it. You try to help them, but really, your job is to convince the customers that their bill is correct and they really do owe $_____ for electricity/their meter hasn't sped up/nobody is stealing their electricity. Also, it is nearly impossible to get time off. While you're still a temp (and you have to start as a temp), you basically sign up for 6 months with NO time off, period. Also, you only get a 30 minute lunch and two 15 minute breaks; not nearly enough to decompress and calm down before getting back on the phone again.

Also, they treat the employees like children. For example, one person hit his head on an AC unit while talking on his cellphone (his boss called him while he was in between training sessions). After that, you weren't allowed to WALK and TALK on your cellphone at the same time during breaks. They just...don't trust you at all.
I Wish it were better!
Meter Reader (Former Employee), Southwestern PAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: decent hours
Cons: uncertainty of future
Temporary Position leads to nowhere. They need the help but won't hire it. Position can end in 6 month's with no extension and that's that. The direct mangers hands are tied unfortunately because upper mgmt thinks they know what's best and they dont. They change their mind constantly and the future is uncertain. Union Contract is unsettled and the company wants to take away alot. They raised union dues in the process plus they want to add smart meters in the near future which will eliminate jobs. It's unfortunately not what it used to be or should be. Someone needs to get it together. And the higher ups should be ashamed.
Unfulfilling work
Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee), North Perry, OHOctober 9, 2014
Pros: high pay, opportunity for overtime, decent benefits, great coworkers
Cons: boring, unfulfilling, terrible management, poor work/life balance, no room for advancement.
Physical security at a nuke plant. I've worked here for four years. It's a lot of sitting around waiting for terrorists to attack. Boring work, unfulfilling. The pay is great if you are willing to spend all of your time there and have no life outside of work. We work twelve hour rotating shifts. Be prepared to work nearly every weekend and holiday. Management doesn't seem to care much about employees. It's a job to pay the bills, but don't look for any job satisfaction out of it.
Drafter III
Drafter III, Substation Engineering & Design (Current Employee), Akron, OHOctober 8, 2014
Pros: working in a job i like.
Cons: never sure of what might come up next.
I enjoy working with the AutoCAD that I use at work. The work is quite challenging. Engineering field keeps me thinking of new ideas.
Contracted Position
Executive Assistant Leadership (Former Employee), Brecksville, OHSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: excellent management
Cons: no job security for contractors
Loved working here, would like to get hired in as an employee rather than a contractor.
Good stable company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Akron, OHAugust 29, 2014
Good recession-proof company. Not so great during severe outage conditions for anywher in the Midwest to East Coast. Mandatory 12 hour days during those outages and "on-call" 6-8 weeks out of the year (also mandatory).
No comment.
Chemistry Instructor (Former Employee), Perry, OHJune 30, 2014
Pros: no comment.
Cons: no comment
I have no comment to give. I am filling out this section because it is required. I don't know how much detail is required but I don't wish to elaborate other than to say I worked for this company for 13 years and believe the current management in my department has no understanding about how to manage people.
Lies, Half-truths, bait and switch job opportunities
Associate TSO (offered/refused) (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 14, 2014
I applied for a certain job at FE, but then when they contacted me to get more information, it was for a lower position, at significantly lower pay than I was making at the time. When I questioned this, the HR person seemed to be responsive, but then continued as if I'd said nothing. I was then told to meet for an interview, and I thought maybe I could convince them that I was worth the original position I applied for because after 15 years doing the job, I am not a trainee. They were 'proud' to offer me a position as a trainee. I turned them down, and stayed where I am now. They advertise for one position, and try to hire you at a lower position for lower pay. Clearly bait and switch. Over the years I'd heard that FE frequently has union problems, and many suits. If they do bait and switch with a new hire, then they probably do far worse to their employees. Stay away from FE.
Average Working Environment
Advanced Engineer (Former Employee), Shippingport, PAApril 18, 2014
Pros: perception of job security, some semblance of job training if you self study
Cons: management, poor benefit, regulatory issues, union, company performance, long hours
My position was at one of their nuclear facilities, everything we did was such an uphill climb. Management has been selected to be ultra conservative based on years 'experience'. In this case experience translated to old management practices and reluctance to upgrade even the most basic equipment to 2013 standards.

I would never recommend this environment for a young professional, it will probably be detrimental to your career.

The regulatory environment surrounding nuclear power is so overwhelming (internally and externally) and management provided no buffer, this made it difficult to focus on the real issues. I remember arriving at work one morning when an auditor was waiting to grill me. This audit had been scheduled for months and not a single manager or supervisor informed me of it.

The pay was below average, the Union environment meant a major disparities in earnings. The company had implemented pay cuts, wage freezes, and cut benefits (401k, pension, medical, dental) during my five years with the company. Seriously, 2% match on a 401k, mandatory (unpaid) overtime, no bonus, etc is an insult.

The company faces major headwinds due to its inability to recognize the changing energy market. Google it and see the plant closures and low demand in the PJM footprint.

In retrospect the only upside of this job was perception of job security at a nuclear facility but that has been challenged by multiple plant closures (again, google it). I guess some of my co-workers made it tolerable but as a whole the personnel were tough to work with and culture was not positive.
enjoyed my job
Sr. Electrical Drafter/CAD Operator (Former Employee), Akron, OHMarch 6, 2014
Prepared documentation for Substation Engineering projects. This included installation revisions for as-built, construction documentation, battery replacement, wiring diagrams, circuit layouts, electrical layout plans, and one-line diagrams. Additionally skilled in data entry including bill of materials, cable & conduit ID lists and connection diagrams and data entry for cad drawings and documents into file-net.
FE took over Allegheny Energy and destroyed a lot of great local jobs
Results Technician (i&c) (Former Employee), Hatfield's Ferry Power PlantFebruary 24, 2014
For unknown reasons, the company had shut down 3 out of 5 PA Plants, they're selling off the hydro plant too! A larger Ohio company, with cloudy reasoning has devasted it's work force in PA. Use extreme caution with this company!
Good company
Meter Reader (Current Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: cookouts, luncheons.
Cons: none.
Great company with the great employees and benefits. Made some life long friends. Work at your own pace as long as the job is done SAFELY. They always tell us they pay us to be Safe. Great motto to live by. Summertime lunches to break up the monotony of day in and day out work.
lesson learned
Video Network Specialist (Former Employee), Akron, OHJanuary 11, 2014
I enjoyed going to work every day. My goal was to retire from this company. I was a very quick learner and there wasn't a job that I didn't enjoy.
Productive, fast paced ever-changing environment
Advanced Customer Accounting Associate (Current Employee), Brecksville, OHJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: standard work hours
Cons: alot of dead end positions
Productive, fast paced ever-changing environment.
Standard policies and procedures.
Multiple locations.
Productive but unchallenging
PJM/MISO Interconnection Project Manager (Former Employee), Akron, OhioDecember 4, 2013
Pros: fun work atmosphere …and advancement
Cons: utility…. everything moves snail pace
A typical day at work: Substation design and construction management, cost estimating

What you learned: Collaboration and team work

Management: supportive, old fashioned..knowledgeable

Your co-workers: fun people and knowledgeable

The hardest part of the job: None

The most enjoyable part of the job: My Coworkers