Firstgroup America

Firstgroup America Employee Reviews

Good place to work along with good benefits
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Knowing that your services make for a better transportation for children.
The company was in the middle of an acquisition which caused unsettled feelings of security among the workers. Very nice people to work with
Nice people
Service Manager (Former Employee), Little Rock ARMay 30, 2015
Clean work place with lots of friendly people. Lots of activity every day with buses moving in and out of the shop and coming and going from the facility
Steady pay, terrible management
Bus Monitor, Shop Assistant (Former Employee), DeKalb, ILMay 12, 2015
Pros: Guaranteed hours and pay.
Cons: No insurance, no PTO, no managerial oversight.
A typical day started at 6am, leaving the lot to begin routes. My route returned at 10am and I went straight to the garage to get the bus maintenance equipment and began my rounds of the parking lot, checking all bus engine fluids. Finished bus maintenance around noon, returning inside to wait for my 1:30pm route to start. Returned from route around 4pm, sometimes picking up an extra route from 4pm to 5:30pm. Management was rarely in the office - in fact when I started regular staff were doing employee interviews and the manager didn't come in until three months after I started. Union representatives constantly created a hostile work environment, and were extremely unprofessional. The hardest part of the job was watching union representatives place unqualified people in important positions - ex. someone who doesn't know how to operate a computer was placed in charge of the online routing software due to seniority. Most enjoyable part of the job was working on bus engines out in the parking lot, and getting the opportunity to fix the inefficient routes (until the union stepped in.)
Nurturing work/life balance
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: managers allows scope for upward movement
Very nurturing environment
Training Provided
Helpful co-workers
Meeting great people both over the phone and in person
Good benefits and compensation
Started out as a career based company...
Payroll/Benefits/HRIS Administrator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: vacation and sick time 3 weeks after 90 days
Cons: management and compensation
This company started out as a career advancing company. But management has all been out for self gain. Management does not promote employee morale or engagement and works on promotions for themselves instead of helping to advance the overall team.
As a monitor/aid it was a great opportunity to interact with these special needs children
First Student (Former Employee), Olathe, KSFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: working with the children
Cons: having to go to work at 4:30 am in the dead of winter with several inches of snow/ice on the ground
As a retired job it became one of the best jobs I have ever had.
FGA
Payroll/Garnishment Representative (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 15, 2013
Pros: two daily breaks, hour long lunch, great people, great hours, fga really cares about its employees
Cons: hard to meet people outside of your direct department, downtown parking prices.
Working at FGA was a great experience. I was low man on the totem pole but that did not bother me at all. It was my first big corporate job and I was thrilled to be hired. I helped with organizing mail, distributed mail throughout the payroll department, then processed garnishments myself with four other reps. The people and environment were great. I left FGA because an opportunity presented itself to me to be a private chef/assistant for a prestigious family in the city. Part of me regrets leaving FGA because of how great of a job it was. I hope to find a similar role in the future as I am no longer working in the hospitality industry.
Rude Co-workers
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Grayslake ILMay 24, 2013
The place is terrible to work for...You cannot have your cell phone not even on mute during works hours even if you have children, my child is actually a heart child with low ventricle function. Some of the co-workers are very rude. You cannot have general conversation with the other staff. They lecture you like a child if you are 5 minutes late and you even called to let them know that you got caught by a train. When you cant work overtime they get mad.
You get to use your brain here!
Mid level mgr (Current Employee), CincinnatiNovember 7, 2012
It's not a "shut up and just do your job" culture--you have input into process improvements at just about every level. Low ego place--"real" people.
Great workplace environment and atmosphere dedicated to productivity
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2012
FirstGroup educates its employees on all facets of the passenger transportation industry. Daily tasks include spreadsheet management and ad hoc projects. Management is exceptionally lenient which allows for a great work life balance. Everyone that I have come into contact with has been friendly and helpful adding to the overall experience.
Very productive work place, always busy, very serious and organized
Accounts Payable / Recievable (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 5, 2012
Pros: company lunches
Cons: parking
Could be difficult at times but gained alot of knowledge about the company. Just an everyday office job that was a really relaxed but yet professional work place.

Firstgroup America Salaries