FirstMerit Corporation Employee Reviews

You are only as good for bringing in numbers
Senior Client Champion (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
The company on a whole, has a 'turn and burn', mentality. Burn and stress the employees, when they feel it, find a way to replace them. When an employee does all that the person can do, but the 'numbers' fall slightly short, said employee is then told to begin looking for another job.......HORRIBLE mentality for a company that only looks for numbers. It's another Wells Fargo, disguised as a 'family institution'. Only wanting to occupy every financial and investment option of a person, on the FIRST interaction!! Forget building a relationship, earning trust. GET THAT WALLET is all that matters!!!
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Management, retail banking mentality
FirstMerit was a top notch place to work
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 30, 2017
FirstMerit was a great place to work. Upper management constantly showed there appreciation for their employees with company activities and holiday gatherings.

When working on projects, 95% of everyone was very responsive to getting you what you needed almost immediately. Everyone I worked with was personal and professional.
Pros
Employees felt appreciated
Cons
Sold to Huntington
Excellent place to work for.
Account Relationship Associate Senior (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 22, 2016
Each day can be different depending on projects & daily work flow. I enjoy the communication with the client's and resolving any questions or concerns they may have. I continue to learn each day if we have new accounting system. Our Management always keeps us updated on any new developments that we should be aware of within the Corporation. My co-workers are the best. We are family and work as a Team. The hardest part of the job would be completing deadlines within a certain period. A little stress, but I get the job completed. The most enjoyable part of the job knowing I make the client satisfied. As a token of their appreciation I receive personal notes stating how much they appreciate all I do for them. That alone puts a smile on my face.
Overall it was a wonderful place to work
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PAOctober 13, 2016
I always enjoyed my job, coworkers, managers, etc. Was always loyal and dedicated for almost 17 years. However, because of merger with HBAN, decisions were made and I was out of a job. I miss my coworkers, customers, and overall everything about my career. I feel that if the merger had not taken place that I would still be at FM and continued my career there.
Pros
Great customer service focus, good benefits, great learning experience
Cons
Short staffed, poor decisions being made due to merger
Looking forward to working for Huntington National which recently acquired FirstMerit
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2016
Some love it, some do not... I really do not have much to say because the experience really has to do much with who you are at FirstMerit. This will hopefully improve as they become Huntington National Bank. Very little diversity & inclusion within the organization.
Pros
Varies person to person
Cons
Varies person to person
A Company That Gets Worse With Time
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 23, 2017
This company does not know how to deal with personnel issues. When ever a department does not like someone, they write glowing recommendations about them so they get promoted and become someone else's problem.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Terrible management
I loved it here
Teller (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHSeptember 14, 2016
The customers were great, the hours were great, my boss and other employees were the best I have ever worked with. The regional manager made sure that she knew who you were and introduced herself and made herself available if you had any problems or concerns. She learned your name, if you had family, etc. You weren't just and employee. If Huntington hadn't bought them out I would still be there. Couldn't ask for a better job.
Pros
Customers, Employees, and Management
Cons
Merger with Huntington
Not a fun workplace
Branch Manager/Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  madision,ohioDecember 19, 2016
Not a place for advancement. Not a place where you are appreciate. opening boxes for a living. Running the register all the time.
Running from the stockroom to register.
benefits
Cons
Manager title is just that a title you open boxes for a living.
Business analyst
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 1, 2016
 Worked as a Business Analyst to support the re-design of the Mortgage Asset, Risk Management System.
 Participated in the research and development of business opportunities and ideas within the scope of the project.
 Contributed to the definition of scope, preparation of work plans and definition of business requirements.
 Worked with major business areas including customer service, escrow and reserve administration, collateral inspection and monitoring, purchase acquisitions and Actimize AML.
Overall solid place to work
Relationship Banker II (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 11, 2017
Good work environment. Be prepared for accountable sales goals and sales minimums to attain incentive. Management will help you grow within the company if you show drive and dedication. Overall a good place to work.
Could be a good place to work
Senior Banker (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 11, 2016
Starting with firstmerit was great but throughout the years it has change so much .. It used to be all about customer service now it's how much money we can get .. I understand it's a business but in my option they do not care for there employees .. There are some managers that shouldn't be in management .. It's hard to get advancement within the corporation plus it doesn't matter how well you do with your leads or you're numbers if they do not care for you they will not advance you
Pros
Tellers are amazing and I have great customers
Cons
short staffed long hours depending if your liked not much of a chance for advancement
Productive workplace where employees are valued
Vice President - Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 18, 2016
A customer focused workplace that allows employees to make decisions independently. Senior Managers listen to advice on how to make customer experience more valuable.
Pros
Flexible and friendly work environment
Cons
Limited growth potential because of size
going to kinda miss that place
Collateral Analyst (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 9, 2016
This was my longest running employment with the same company, and in the same department. I had spent more years at another company, but had held at least 4 different positions. I can honestly say that my time at FirstMerit probably would have lasted me through to my retirement (in 20 more years), had it not been for the merger with Huntington.
Pros
Home/Life balance
Cons
Office politics
Productive job great growth oppturnity
BANK TELLER (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 5, 2016
Love my job its very rewarding love my coworkers.
Typical day helping customers doing any transactions.The hardest part of the job would be not being able to help an customer with certain things.
Top Down Management
BANK MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 27, 2016
They brought in a CEO from out of state and he expanded this bank until he could cash out. Good luck replacing all the Ohio jobs that are being lost from the latest takeover. Sell Out!
Pros
Cons
unappreciated
Productive fun workplace
Inbound Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 11, 2016
Customer service enviroment is not a place for the easily offended, especially in the banking world. FirstMerit Contact center was a second home to me. Everyone was nice & always willing to help
Merge
Hardware/Software Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 13, 2017
FirstMerit merged with Huntington Bank and is no longer open for business. Any review given is unnecessary as it is now apart of Huntington and I have never worked for them.
great company
Customer Service Associate/Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHJanuary 14, 2017
Very nice and humble company to have worked for. Management was very good and they truly cared for their employees You truly felt like you were cared about.
Glad they got bought out
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 14, 2016
Company was all about the company and their employees were "replaceable". Nothing was ever sufficient. They took people with nearly no experience and put them in front of customers.
ok company
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Chardon, OHJanuary 4, 2017
This company was ok, the work was non-stop but the pay was terrible. In the 8 years I worked at this company, my pay only increased by .50. Terrible pay for the amount of responsibility.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstMerit Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9