FirstMerit Corporation Employee Reviews

Great company
Senior Commercial Banking Assiatant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
This was a wonderful company to work for. Management and co-workers were enjoyable on a day-to-day basis. I learned quite a bit, not only in my position, but from other departments as well.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Northfield Center, OHNovember 9, 2017
The pace of customers was constant. I had a great manager as well as a great team of tellers. All employee were kind and friendly. Overall a great place to work.
Company no longer exists
High Risk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 5, 2017
I worked for this company for 3 1/2 years. They were purchased by Huntington Bank. When this occurred, the department I worked in was let go. We were given over 9 months from the time we were told that were being let go. I felt this was only to use the department to get through a conversion.
No longer in existance
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 29, 2017
Purchased by Huntington Bank. They no longer exist. No longer a company. No loner listed on NASDAQ. No one that I worked with is still there. I retired so I could keep my pension.
All Sales
Client Champion III - Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Medina, OHOctober 27, 2017
This bank pays its employees a small amount for a lot of work. The company is no longer in business. The culture was all sales and not about what is best for the customer.
First merit bank summary
SECOND NATIONAL BANK / FIRST MERIT BANK (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 26, 2017
Very community area based institution, good job to advance career, helpful team goal orientation, and rewarding employees for work well done. Very good full service banking.
Pros
Good banking based relationships
Cons
Many changes of bank-policies & proceedures
FirstMerit
Customer Service and Escrow Accounting (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 12, 2017
I worked in the Escrow Accounting Dept as a customer service rep/escrow accounting rep. My main job was to pay Private Mortgage Insurance and take care of Homeowners Insurance claims. Dispersing of funds from escrow.
Pros
full time with benefits
Cons
Managers played employee's against each other
Typical banking job
Sr. Commercial Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 9, 2017
I really appreciated the opportunity to be apart of an organization that really cared about the community it served. This bank was purchased by Huntington bank.
Bank Teller
Teller (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 6, 2017
I would handle deposits and cash checks due withdraws. I learned a lot about handling money. I loved my manager, we are still good friends. I loved going to work. It was a very fun atmosphere. The hardest part about my job was paying close attention that way I would balance every night.
Pros
Awesome boss
Cons
Easy to mess up
productive
document complaints
take business coin orders
answer phones
take messages
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
healthcare expensive

Want to know more about FirstMerit Corporation?

Ask a question
Cc3
excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Rocky River, OHSeptember 17, 2017
Long hours, old teller system that need to be upgraded. Uniforms had to be worn. FirstMerit was acquired by Huntington Bank a lot of branches closed. Remember to meet sales goal quarterly
Productive Setting
Vice President / Manager, Foreign Exchange Trading (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 11, 2017
This company no longer exists as the bank was absorbed into Huntington National Bank in 2017. FirstMerit was a great place to work and I was there for 5 years.
first merit
CCIII teller supervisor (Former Employee) –  Willow Springs, ILAugust 29, 2017
Great Branch Manager. Team player and always had her employess back. However, the company across the board has poor staffing issues . I rather work under her leadership . She definitely helped me grow
Pros
great branch manager
Cons
poor staffing
Miss this place
System Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 29, 2017
This was one of my favorite places to work. Unfortunately they no longer exist as they have been bought out. I learned a lot there and they only hired very talented people who would always take time to teach you.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
pay was light but not too bad, no longer exist
Global Payments Group Team Leader-Officer (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 20, 2017
I worked for FirstMerit a many number of years. My most enjoyable part of the job were the people that I met. These people supported me through my ups and downs, and still continue to be blessed with friendships. Managing people from all walks of life, and helping them continuing education and moving towards their goals within the corporation.
Pros
Schedule, co workers, incentives
Cons
Healthcare
excellent team, good learning experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Upper Arlington, OHAugust 19, 2017
First Merit Bank was my initial experience in a banking environment. I learned many new skills which I continue to use to this day.
The environment varied daily based on customer needs.
It was a bank open 7 days a week, so my schedule was different weekly.
My coworkers and supervisor were exceptional. It was a small branch with 5 employees. We were a close knit team and that helped me move from an executive level job to being a subordinate.
Customer relations was the most enjoyable part of my job - (besides balancing my cash drawer)
Pros
great team, in a grocery store, coffee in our breakroom
Cons
little room for advancement, limitd benefits
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 11, 2017
Huntington purchased FirstMerit. I haven't worked for Huntington but I hear that's it's a good place to work. FirstMerit had very high goals and had some difficulties getting loans closed in a timely manner.
Pros
No longer in business
Cons
No longer in business
Optimum business to work for
Senior Client Champion (Current Employee) –  Fairport Harbor, OHAugust 9, 2017
It was difficult to learn FirstMerit Bank was looking to be bought by a competitor. FirstMerit Bank management was excited to have my sales abilities, especially my ability to drive investment sales.
Pros
Great Incentive Plan
Cons
Company was sold to Huntington Bank
Company Was Acquired by Huntington
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 6, 2017
Cannot provide any insight into this company as it was acquired within the last year by Huntington Bank. Company had good benefits but struggled with integrating acquisitions.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2017
My experience with firstmerit bank wa sGreay having a chances to meet with celebrities who I been wanted to meet while serving them our meals at our stand.
Pros
Free lunch seen celebrities
Cons
N/a