Firth Rixson Employee Reviews in United States

Culturally influenced
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Midway, GAJuly 19, 2015
Meet a range of different people and improved on social skills to be used in other organizations. Management could have been better but overall a place to work. The hardest part of the job was being the only female in my section meaning not many things stayed organized once I had it in order.
If you value your health and your family don't work here
fork lift (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYOctober 12, 2014
Upper management is a joke. Mistreatment by upper staff of top quality high-valued, consistent and efficient employees. Job turnover high because people don't want to work 72 hours a week. Because no one wants to work there, and because the company has a need for employees, they hire alcoholics and drug addicts and then fire them for coming into work drunk. Go figure. If you have ever worked there, please get yourself checked out for the black lung disease.
Pros
if u work yourself to death, you'll get a nice paycheck
Cons
after u get your nice paycheck, you can't enjoy it because you're too exhausted
Excellent Experience
Leadership Development Program Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 9, 2014
Excellent social and mentoring environment. Broad range of technical experience to gain knowledge from.
This company needs to be taught a lesson!!!!
Cnc Lathe Machinist (Current Employee) –  FontanaMay 16, 2014
Ghetto syle management is how to describe Fontana's plant. Illegal demands for work hours, 99% of the bosses are too immature for their positions. Terrible practices in Machining. Very immoral decisions regarding everything from schedules to simple daily employee management. The Labor Board really would be interested in their work hours per week and even more in how they pay their overtime. Also their despicable choice for the (Mazaks) leadman. He treats his employees like dirt. No one deserves to be treated the way this (boy) treats you. He needs some (self worth) psychiatric help.
Pros
definately not the pay or bonuses
Cons
illegal labor practices ect.
Horrible work place ..Big mistake
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2014
Dishonest business practices. Bully, condescending senior management style. Weak leadership. Long hours hours expected. High turnover.
Cons
fake bonus plan, forced furloughs
Excellent Employer
VP of Corp HR and Legal Affairs (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTOctober 15, 2013
Driven team, with play hard work hard culture,
Very defined expectations
Pros
co workers
Cons
travel
The worst company ever, wonder why this company still survive.
I was an Accountant (Former Employee) –  I worked at Fontana, CA for 3 monthsOctober 10, 2013
I regret to accept the job offer with Firth Rixson cannot believe nor explain the worse Mgmt style. Imagine the General Manager reprimanded your Manager in front of your eyes. Soon your Manager imitated the GM attitude.

The Mgmt will expect you to work 24/7 despite no appreciation but bad word and no job stability. The top Mgmt is the big big problem.
Pros
nothing good except the co-worker who are ready to be fired any time.
Cons
the mgmt has no concept but very arrogant
Experience in high technology; Aerospace, Mining, Power Generation, Defense, Oil & Gas, Transportation and Specialty Metal markets
CNC Machinist/Programmer (Current Employee) –  Fantana CAMay 7, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is solving technical issues, and being part of a team that continually strives to improve business.

The hardest part of the job is work 3rd shift.
Pros
the work team
Cons
i work 3rd shift
Worst Company Ever, Hands Down
Nobody (Current Employee) –  USAApril 21, 2013
Let me start with first saying, anyone who rates this company with more than one star, is either in HR, or is getting a big check to do so. If there were an option to rate this hell hole negative stars I would. Lets start the journey by saying, if you like your life, TOO BAD! they will work you to the bone. Get ready for so much overtime you will forget what your family and friends look and sound like. You get to work so much, you might as well buy a camper and park it in the parking lot. Nobody cares about you, they only care about how fat their pockets are and how little they can do to please anyone but themselves. You know you work for a horrible company when your turnover rate is 20+ employees in only a matter of months, and that's only in one department!! This place has been investigated by OSHA multiple times, the only reason they are still in business is because when the OSHA rep shows up they shut down the plant to make sure everything is straight before he makes his walk through, otherwise I'm sure they would shut this place down. I wish more employees would write a review of this place, then you would really see what everyone thinks about this poor excuse for a business. ALL of the current employees are looking into getting different jobs. They cover up injuries and don't report them like they should. They have no problem threatening you if they don't like you or disagree with what you think, they take credit for ideas that are not their own just to make themselves look good. If a higher up makes a mistake (which will happen all the time), they do all they can to pass  more... the blame on a lower employee. This company is soulless and immoral. HR is not on the employees side as they should be, they are meant to be a neutral party helping employees, however this company uses them like marionettes. They will make promises to make working there great, then once you are hired on all the promises they made just happen to disappear and they have no recollection of ever promising those things. In the end, just do yourself a huge favor and stay FAR away from this company. I promise you, you will regret ever working here as I do. FR Employees past and present!, MAKE A REVIEW, don't let others go through the torture we have!! Let everyone know how bad this place is!!  less
Pros
you make money? i guess.
Cons
absolutely everything else!! don't work here!!

Comment – May 7, 2013

The previous comment may sound like a bit of a rant but it is 100% accurate. I have no idea what FR plant someone worked at would receive anything over 3 let alone 1 star. They definitely want you to work well over 40 hours, steal your ideas, will get rid if you "don't have the right attitude" and will ruin your future career if you cant find a job before they get rid of your position. The conditions in the shops are gross and the air you breath is nothing but thick carbon particles. You have been warned...twice!

Not a good place to work.
machinist (Current Employee) –  midwayApril 1, 2013
This company will tell you anything to get you in the door and never do what they say. The pay sucks.You top out at 18 a hour. Every one in the machine shop is looking for another job. Look some where else for a job.
Pros
great group of employees to work with.
Cons
low low pay
Stay Away!
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Midway, GAFebruary 24, 2013
This place is an absolute nightmare. The management is horrible and the HR does not care about the employees period. Honestly I don't know how they stay in business. Be prepared to work 72+ hours a week at this job. To be honest, when I started this job I thought it was going to be a really good company to work for. They made a lot of promises and it sounded great. They do not keep their promises and have an extremelly high turn around rate. I work in the machine shop and every one is looking for another job. You know it's a bad place when a new person comes in and within the first month they are already looking for another job. From Sept-Dec of last year it was mandatory 6 day weeks. The only pros for this place is that there are some really good employees. They hired some smart people and in general for the Savannah area this is the best group or workers that I have worked with.
Pros
none worth working here for
Cons
unions were made because of companies like this! be prepared to have no life, worked like a slave and not appreciated.
In a tough economy they are trying to make the right decisions
employee (Former Employee) –  USFebruary 15, 2013
It was a good company to work for. Sometimes you just have the tough decisions.
bad management
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 12, 2012
Great job. However the Higher-ups in the company do NOT know what they are doing. Work was good except for the fact that they had me doing 6 different jobs. Too Hot.
Pros
good money
Cons
no job security
Operated like a 1960's organization
Technical (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 20, 2012
The management is extremely hostile and is known to fire people for simply stating disagreement. I strongly agree with the other review in that Firth Rixson would most likely be in serious trouble if the US plants were investigated in-depth by the labor board and OSHA. Very long work weeks with little compensation or praise for consistent success. Constantly shifting priorities lead to nearly impossible expectations.
Grossly Mismanaged
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  US PlantJune 14, 2012
The general manager has no clue what is going on in the facility I worked in. The executives are running amock and the morale of the company is plummetting. This company needs to be investigated by OFCCP and DOL for multiple HR-related violations. They have no qualms with firing someone on the spot due to lack of money (which is what they will tell you) and then do more hiring right behind you. They have issues with employees who call out management on the unethical things they do. I caution anyone contemplating working for this company especially if you will be a non-exempt employee. You probably won't get paid for all the hours you work. And if you are exempt, they will expect 80 hours worth of work for 40 hours worth of pay.
Cons
unethical behavior from some executive management
They need to be investigated by the labor board and OSHA.
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Firth Rixson MonroeMay 1, 2012
Never in all my years in manufacturing have I ever worked for such an uncaring company. Their main concern when someone gets hurt is not for the employees treatment, but to get them back to work the same day so they will not have any lost time counted and have OSHA investigate the injuries there that are three times the industry standard.One employee cut his finger and had stitches and they told him to use his other hand. Another employee got injured on a Friday but didn't report it until Monday, so he was fired.For a death of an immediate family member, you are given three days bereavement, while the industry standard is five. One employee took one day off work to attend his Grandfathers funeral and he was questioned why was he taking time off for it!
You are not allowed to take any time off for the first six months you are there, even though you accrue vacation you are not allowed to use it, even in emergency situations. If you call in sick , you get a point against you, and after 3 points you are fired. If you don't fit their idea of working 80 hours for 40 hour salary, they lay you off because your job has been eliminated, make everyone else work the additional hours, and post your job on Careerbuilder two months later. The bathroom smells like a sewer, the mice are over running the office area, and the heat is off all winter, but on all summer. Besides breathing in the coal fumes and cleaning your glasses off every ten minutes because of all the dust in the air, its amazing that the board of health doesn't shut this place down.
Pros
surviving and finding a better job
Cons
being stuck there for any length of time

Comment – June 17, 2012

The same things are happening in the plant in Midway. I put a review of my own and it has mysteriously disappeared. How about that? This company has some serious moral issues!

Comment – June 19, 2012

I have worked in manufacturing for a long time. My sojourn with First Rixson Monroe in Rochester NY was the absolute worst time in my life. People are worked like slaves, customers are abused (!!), suppliers are never paid. The management that was there during my stay were awful, especially the general manager (a megalomaniac). The only reason this company survives is they sell a product(badly) that is hard to make. Never, ever, apply for a job here if you value your health, both physical and mental.

Very good company to work for
Multi-Craft Mechanic/Electrician (Current Employee) –  Midway, GAApril 2, 2012
The company has excellent benefits. Work enviorment is good. Other employees mostly easy to work with.
Management there to help answer any questions that may arise.
My typical day includes repairs to machinery to get it back up and running properly. Helping with welding, electrical and any type of maintenance that is needed.
Pros
i enjoy learning how to do new things.
Cons
the distance i have to drive to work.