Fitchburg State University Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding to teach students on sociology, cultural anthropology, and the environment.
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAMarch 20, 2016
Enjoy teaching students an encouraging their participation to understand questions and issues regarding society and the environment.
Friendly workplace, great students and customers
General Office Clerk, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAFebruary 24, 2016
I was employed as a general office clerk and was involved in checking in student laptops, troubleshooting software problems, downloading and updating device software, answering phones and taking messages, organizing storage units, and filing paperwork. I established a positive and trusting relationship with the students, faculty, and staff at the university.
So many qualified people working with people taking advantage of the tenure system
Fulltime Faculty (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MASeptember 21, 2015
Company has changed leadership so things may change.
Make sure that contracts are sent to you or you have email confirmation of anything discussed in the hiring process. Management is not very honest.

Many people are qualified and great professionals but many people are skating by and not staying up to date with industry. These people are usually the senior most in the department and wield a lot of power
Pros
good work/home life balance
Cons
Some very dysfunctional departments that do not want to change
productive and fun workplace with supportive staff
maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAJune 10, 2015
Maintained up to six buildings; vacuumed, waxed, buffed, and swept floors; cleaned and sanitized surfaces, washed windows. I learned to be adaptable and positive; to work in a team will give the best results and overall enjoyment.
Pros
good healthcare
Cons
hot working conditions in the summer
Fun Workplace
Student Security (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg State Campus PoliceJune 9, 2015
Typical day is from 8pm-1am, we do safety escort for people, we check around the campus and we make sure everybody is safe. The most enjoyable part of the job is when i drive people around.
Experience Maintaining, Updating, and Improving Campus Wide Network
Networking Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAApril 20, 2015
- Typical days start with reviewing and solving any potential help requests from thousands of Student and Faculty. After solve any hardware or software issues then consistently make sure everything is up to date as well as thinking of any possible ways to optimize the network further.
- I learned how to use and update latest equipment and software for networking including switches, WAPS, cabling, etc. As well as creating and discovering new ideas and network schemes for best performance.
- Managed 2 interns over a summer period teaching them how to maintain network closets, troubleshoot, and assist in installing new equipment.
- Work with a fairly large IT department ranging in all sorts of areas of technology on a daily basis.
- Beginning of different semesters with new students and faculty coming in at the same time.
-Learning new and exciting things that are constantly introduced in Information Technology
Pros
Learn more as you go
A good place to dive into the industry
Assistant Director of Maintenance and Operations (Current Employee) –  Facilities BuildingMarch 3, 2015
FSU has been a great learning experience, from both the managerial and the engineering aspects of the campus. I have learned how to manage a team of 15+ employees, varying from tradesmen to boiler operators to engineers. The hardest part of the job is working with faculty that does not always understand how building truly operate. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is being able to go onsite with my tradesmen and see what really going on in the field. There is no such thing as a typical day here. my day can change from budgeting to construction meetings to chasing down leaks. My day consists of whatever is thrown at me.
Excellent place to work
Environmental Health & Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAJuly 7, 2014
Clear performance guidelines, challenging environment.
Cons
dependent on state of ma funding
Loved working with the High School Students
Worksite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAJune 24, 2014
As a former student in the Upward Bound program, I had a strong tie to the community, the students, and everything they stand for. It was truly a pleasure spending an entire year giving something back to this program that gave so much to me. A typical day of work as an AmeriCorps Job Ready member consisted of administrative work, reaching out to post-secondary schools for general information and scheduling tours, and researching potential community service events for multiple students to attend. I would then drive to the local schools to pick up the high school students, bring them to their dual enrollment course at Fitchburg State University, and drive them home after their course. My co-workers were absolutely phenomenal. I had nothing but good experiences with the people I worked under and alongside. Each and every one of them shared my same passion for making a difference in a child's life by doing what we can do ensure they pursue a career or higher education. The most enjoyable part of my job was spending time with the students and listening to their feedback about the program. Every student had something great to say about Upward Bound and I was so glad to be a part of something so special. We truly were one big family. The hardest part of my job advertising college and university tours to be fun and exciting so that students would be more interested in attending. If it wasn't a college they were interested in, they wouldn't think twice about not going. However, I worked hard to teach the students that even if they aren't interested in attending the school, it's still  more... a great experience to take the tour and get more information.  less
Pros
enthusiastic high school students, fun activities and events, passionate co-workers and supervisors
Our collective approach is pro-active and student centered
Associate Head Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAFebruary 26, 2014
We encourage student-athletes to strive for attainable goals. Management has empowered our team with a shared focus for professional and personal growth.
I have learned first hand the difference between activity and achievement.
The most difficult part of my position is being pro-active not re-active.
The most rewarding part of our job is the Graduation of our students.
Pros
professional development
Cons
not enough time for team practice & player development

Want to know more about Fitchburg State University?

Ask a question
Hard Working Environment, Just do your work
Athletics Asst.-Marketing, Events, Operations (Current Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAOctober 9, 2013
In the office from 7 am to about 7 pm sometimes later.
Schedule is the toughest part of making it work.
Work Study
Work Study Assistant to Lab Technicians (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAJuly 30, 2013
Typical day involved me helping the lab technicians with their day to day work. This included washing glassware, taking care of the lab animals and plants, sterilizing the labs, making agar for microbiological use, and using the autoclave to sterilize.
Great School Evironment
Student (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAApril 28, 2013
Went to class and learned from the professor.
learned all of the updated computer construction programs like archicad, auto cad, revitt, and mostly microsoft office.
Pros
great teachers
Cons
short classes
An educational institution with a heart
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, MAMarch 5, 2013
Fitchburg State honors excellence and values people over productivity. The Help Desk has evolved over the years and has grown into a much larger and more sustainable resource then when I started. Being an educational institution has challenges but I was able to adapt quickly as their vast infrastructure changes. Colleges in Massachusetts, esp. state ones are at the mercy of the state in many ways. I found that their budget was strong and the staff always satisfied. The work culture is calm and inviting. I came to work everyday happy and energized. Working on Macs was a big part of my job. The CIO personally picked me as his assistance on various projects. The hardest part was leaving my position at the helpdesk but being a student worker, it needed to happen. I was there for two solid years, half of my college career.
Pros
awesome work culture, good pay, comfortable setting

4.2