Five Acres Employee Reviews

Love to work here
Crisis Intervention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Altadena, CAMay 2, 2017
Very busy, active children, a lot of redirection for children, I have learned to be assertive and when to back off. The hardest part of working here is the long transportation for day kids. The most enjoyable part is building relationships with the kids.
Unless you are desperate stay away
Therapist (Former Employee) –  VariousApril 18, 2017
Do your research before you apply. This company used to really care about their staff, however, this is no longer the case. The management is awful. The pay is incredibly low compared to other non-profits. What is most disappointing is the staff turnover. I have never worked for a company that has had so much turnover. Even turnover among upper management has increased. It's unfortunate because the ones who truly suffer are the families & youth we service. The staff morale is very low, obviously due to the way they are treated & staff turnover. Personally, I am happy for those that have left as I know they deserve better. I'm not surprised they are spending money on mass advertisement and job recruitment; they can't keep staff. A few years back I would have encouraged friends to apply but now I tell them to look elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, staff turnover, billing expectations, morale, management
Former employee
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAApril 4, 2017
There is no support for the kids or staff. Management is so quick to fire every body. The quality of staff is a joke. The pay isn't enough to deal with an unorganized environment. I would suggest to be on-call staff. Less stress sometimes.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No breaks, no support
Great Company
Clinical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Altadena, CADecember 15, 2016
Great company to work for, however the DMH paperwork is a lot and the residential staff and culture is hard to work with. Management is not that grate they would focus on drama instead of training and helping staff succeed.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
To much work load, not enough support
skip this place !!!!
scs (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAJuly 22, 2016
i was a fifteen year veteran working up from child care counselor to the star team at their NPS school so I know this company well..
Management has changed in the last few years and its for the WORST.. they claim to be so humanistic and caring of children in need but are not FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES!!! they are all about bottom line only.. Raises were few and pennies , stress levels are way to high for the pay rates if your smart you will keep LOOKING
the kids and the free lunch is the only reason to work there but I suggest you think twice !!!!!!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
TRUMP LIKE management, HIGH levels of stress, LOW pay, etc
needs support in how to appericate all employes that work on teams
Parent partner Residential Based Services(RBS) (Current Employee) –  Altadena, CAJuly 12, 2016
looking for new challenges and a company that will appreciate the work that each member gives in team efforts.
enjoy the family's I work with and the co-workers do not enjoy that management chooses which members of the same team be compensated for the same families and work done with them.
Negative is they do not give you enough time to complete paperwork during the work week. More focus is on the quantity versus the quality of care that is given to the families.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
more care is given to quanity and not quality of care for families
i was not happy here
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 6, 2016
a lot of management issues, over all people is nice but salaries are not competent, you only get a rise of 2% a year

its a happy place to work as long as you supervisor know what he is doing
Pros
free lunches
Cons
managment
work
Parent Support Liaison (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJanuary 19, 2016
not flexible over worked not enough training.
No advancement false hope .
hardest part of the day is when there is a family crises there is not supervisors available.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no advancemnt
Loved working with the families
Quality Assurance - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAOctober 30, 2015
I was able to work with some clients that were in great need of help. I enjoyed working with the diverse group. I worked with children that needed mental health services and glad I was able to assist them.
Pros
I enjoyed working with children
Cons
Job was too short.
Highly mobile and extreme environment
Assistant Recreation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAAugust 12, 2015
A typical day consists implementing recreational programs that are therapeutic for clients ages six to 14 years old. Learned to be a more creative thinker and to work under some extreme and challenging situations. I was in charge of managing 20 to 30 Recreation Counselors five days a week. Worked with positive and energetic co-workers. The hardest part about the job was limitation in staffing (high turn-over rate), which in terms elevated a more intense work environment. The thing I enjoyed about the job is the volunteer support from various organizations in the community.
Pros
Postive programs and community based intervention for the clients
Cons
Extreme staff turn-over rate
Everyday is never the same
Unit Clinician, MFTI (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 24, 2014
Opportunity to work with great and exciting people. You learn from clients and co-workers everyday.
Great Place to work
Present employee (Current Employee) –  AltadenaJanuary 18, 2014
Five Acres is a wonderful place to work, depends on which department you're working for, and most importantly, who is your supervisor. I've developed wonderful professional and personal relationships, have had supportive supervisors, and gained much knowledge and experience.
Pros
Supportive, Benefits, Free lunch at Main Campus
Cons
Management (supervisors) need to be more transparent or supportive to staff
Very productive, fun and exciting working with youth
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAJuly 30, 2013
Typical day at was greeting each kid from school, assisting with home work and providing activities for the kids. I learned how to work with 10 different personalities of kids from he ages of 10-13. Great management. I enjoyed half of the folks I worked with. The hardest part of my job was hearing about the tough lives the kids lived. The most enjoyable part of my job was forming positive relationships with the kids I worked with.
Pros
Great benefits, great activities for the kids.
Cons
The pay was really bad.
Great Agency
Community and School Based MFT Clinical Trainee (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 19, 2013
This traineeship provided me with the opportunity to really hone my therapeutic skills and expand upon, and challenge, my own personal attributes vital to the therapeutic process. My experience at Five Acres was extremely valuable and instrumental in validating my desire to work with children and families, building on their strengths to promote growth, well-being and safety.
Good company
LMFT- Foster Care Program (Current Employee) –  El Monte, CAFebruary 4, 2013
Good values. Positive atmosphere. Good administration, they are looking to the future and planning to expand. Colleagues are good, positive.
Great working culture helping at risk children
Residential Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 18, 2013
8-15hr work days monitoring at risk children
Teaching children the proper life skills to transition back home. Working in this type of environment essentially being a surrogate parent to children ages 6-14 you learn to have great patience and communication skills with the children and staff.
The staff thats works with me here is amazing very helpful we all care and take of each other we have become a great unit.
The most difficult part of this job is helping children handle the emotions that come from having absent parents or lack of family.
The most rewarding part of this job is building a relationship with a child and reuniting a parent and child is a great feeling
Pros
great work environment, very active in the community
Cons
no days off
Five Acres Boys and Girls Society
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Altadena, CAApril 12, 2012
I was mainly there on a temporary assignment but it felt a longer to me. My position handled data entry and office work. The co-workers there were very friendly and hospitable. I love coming there every morning to say good morning to everybody as they did to me. When I was down, they were there to help me rise to my feet. Working there was a honor and a pleasure that I will never forget. I wished I could have stayed there longer, but I couldn't because I was a tempt.
Pros
kindness, benefits, stability, postive atmospher, a home away from home.
Cons
no cons for this

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Acres. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9