Five Guys Employee Reviews in United States

Co-workers were friendly and patient and the workplace was very clean.
Red Shirt Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 19, 2016
I began working at Five Guys fairly late in the summer, however the management and my co-workers were very friendly and patient, quickly teaching me my responsibilities and trusting me to fulfill them without needing micromanagement. The most difficult portion of the job was learning to quickly understand and produce customer orders even while under the considerable stress of rush hour. Because of the fryer's location in the kitchen, I was also responsible for handing orders to the customers, which I found to be the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job.
Pros
One free meal per shift
Ver fun place although this location had its share of drama.
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Neck, NYMarch 20, 2016
I experienced some hints of racism through insensitive racist remarks and jokes from managers. I did enjoy my stay however as I learned much from it. I enjoyed my co workers but management was never on the same page with each other causing a lot of tension. The customer were great sometimes but they too would display unpleasant behavior to many of the younger black employes.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Internal conflicts with management
Five Guys experience
SHIFT LEAD (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2016
This is a fast food restaurant that uses only fresh ingredients. I enjoyed the cleanliness we upheld. The management comes and goes and they can be all sorts of people. I happen to have very good managers there, and one extremely bad one who was corrupt. Other than the corruption we went through it was an alright place to be.
Pros
easy to stay busy, always room to grow
Cons
Petulant customers ordering rare burgers which was not allowed.
Great hours and they work well with your availability
Crew Member/Cook (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 21, 2016
Five Guys expects a lot from their employees and I learned a lot from my experiences with them. My co-workers were nice people and most of the managers ran the store with a lot of pride and respect. I was mainly responsible for the grill and training new employees on my station. They gave great hours and if the crew did well during a secret shopper we received a bonus on our check.
Fun work environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Dupont Circle, DCFebruary 22, 2016
i loved working here this was actually my second job ever worked and it gave me so much experience in dealing with different type of people personalities. i learned how to do inventory for a truck orders had the pleasure in opening the store on my own. Trained to be a shift leader but unfortunately was not able to make it that far there. The most enjoyable part about the job was that i was able to bring regulars in at the job my customers enjoyed my work and customer service skills.
Pros
free lunches secret shoppers great music
Cons
no healthcare benifits
Great workplace with lots of energy
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 5, 2016
A great workplace in the restaurant world. Great atmosphere, full of energy and enthusiasm. Employees are allowed to actively engage with customers, including joking around. Management is decent, but mostly ran by young adults in school. It can be a bit tedious at times. Co-workers vary store to store, but the one I'm at has a fantastic crew and enjoys doing what they do. Hardest part is just the stress during peak times, seeing $1000 hours; sometimes back to back. The most enjoyable part is the people you meet, and work along with.
Pros
Mystery shops that awared money, free food, medical benefits
Cons
management, no advancement
Five Guys Review
Red-Shirt (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZApril 15, 2016
Five Guys provides an overall exciting and fun environment to work for. Although it is a fun place to work, the amount you get paid for the kind of work you do is not sufficient. Being there for almost two years and making minimum wage for most of it does not accurately reflect the amount of work put in on daily basis.
Pros
Free Meals, Bonuses based on 100% secret shopper score
Cons
Insufficient Pay
Enjoyable people to work with and positive work experience.
Cook/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 14, 2016
Five Guys taught me everything that I needed to know for working in the food industry, from food prep, cooking, and making sure customers were satisfied. I was able to look forward to going to work because my co-workers made my day enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunches/ great co-works
Cons
Often repeat tasks when business is slow
Productive and a fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Five Guys was a very good environment. It was a lot of work but with the great team I worked with we made it a lot easier for each other. My co-workers were fun and motivators, i worked with many different nationalities My favorite part of my job was my customers. the hardest part of my job was the work, it was a lot of work.
Pros
free lunch positive workplace
Cons
Short breaks, a lot of work
it was a job that went to every day
worked back of house (Former Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLApril 19, 2016
came at 5.00pm to 12.00pm most of the time I was cleaning the lobby taking out the trash cleaning tables . if I wa not doing that I was in the front cooking frys or on the grill, what I learned was try help any one who needed help or at least try to lend a hand
Pros
free lunch every day you work
Cons
realy short brakes and always on our toes

Want to know more about Five Guys?

Ask a question
Good working environment
Cashier & Line Chef/Operant (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 1, 2016
Management works with the workers in allowing them needed time off or more hours. Workday consists of clocking in, usually cleaning the dining areas and back from previous shift. Helping customers, restocking, cash, milkshake machines, cleaning the line as well as preparing food for the current shift. Once everything is cleaned and prepared and there are no customers waiting; helping the other workers on the line - dressing food, cooking patties, and making fries as well as calling out orders.
Pros
Food provided for every shift. Great team.
Its a great place to work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, NJJanuary 25, 2016
At the start of every day we gather up our crew and give them a quick motivational speak to build up positive energy in the store & to always put the guest first. We also assign everyone to a position and explain to the crew their duties in full details because proper communication is key.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Their is not to much room for growth.
New store, management was inexperienced, but overall it was a good work place.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, VADecember 2, 2015
A typical day at worked started by clocking in. Then I was told where I was to be for the day which could be anything from working the register to preparing the food to cleaning and stocking the lobby. I learned a lot about managing my time and how to get along with different customers. My co-workers overall were great; however, we had a lot of teenagers so we were all really learning. The hardest part for me was making sure that all customers were always happy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the happy atmosphere.
Pros
half off any food and free drinks while I was working
Cons
Having to work most Sundays and missing church
Good place to work with good benefits.
Cashier/ Crew (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2016
I loved working for Five Guys mainly because I was good at what I did and earned a lot of bonuses because of my hard work. I was pregnant when I worked there so was a bit of a challenge running around with barely any bathroom breaks but it was totally worth it for the bonuses.
Pros
Free lunches
Fast paced environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Watchung, NJJanuary 8, 2016
Five Guys is a great company to work for starting out. Five Guys instills great work ethic and high on the job expectations. A typical day at Five Guys includes lots of smiling, cleaning and checklists.The hardest part is being on your feet many hours a day. The most enjoyable part is interacting with customers.
Double edge sword
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 15, 2015
This is a great company to get into when you want to move up fast and learn managerial skills. A huge dedication of your life seems to be the only issue. Management is very passionate about the company, therefore perfection expected. They have very clean establishments and work really hard to give customers a good experience. If you do not have great time management skills for school and work, sticking as a "red shirt" is your best bet. To be management you need to be on top of your game.
Pros
advancement
Cons
life balance
Great work environment with strong sense of community
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILNovember 11, 2015
Five guys has a true sense of family and trains workers to be genuine and always put the customer first. Working there is normally fun and exciting. I enjoy the fact that there is no distinction between line server and cook so I have learned how to work the grill and make perfect fries which has been challenging but rewarding, I feel well appreciated and enjoy the oppurtunities Five Guys gives me to earn bonuses biweekly. I would seriously recommend anyone looking for a job that treats their employee's right, five guys is the place. Oh yeah, and employees eat free!
Very Productive,Fun work place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day would be prep work, learned that some things can be very challenging at times, my co-workers were fun to be around, the hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the tasks, and my most enjoyable thing would be balling the meat into patties.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
short breaks
five guys is good and easy job to do
Cashier/ Fry Prep (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLJanuary 17, 2016
working at five guys is learning experience, it a team effort throught out with the co-worker. I'm striving to love people, we all facing tough challenging in life. however when you have smile to the customer, it made their, greeting the customer with smile opposite attitudes.
It was a fun place to work lots of commradery
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNDecember 13, 2015
Five guys was a good place to work but not when you have a family you need to go home too. Max pay for entry level was 9.25 and that just wasn't enough for me. They did have opportunity for advancement but it required you to live out of state and travel ALOT.
Pros
Free meal per shift
Cons
Very low pay raise opportunities