Five Guys Employee Reviews

Found 1,139 reviews matching the search
Terrible
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 19, 2016
I work at Five Guys and I have to say they are a terrible company to work for. It is very political with a lot of upper management that are very sexist. They also will promise things and never follow through. I was brought up to management but have not received my raise because they misplaced my pay increase forms. I asked for back pay on the 70+ hours I worked that were supposed to be at the increased wage and they claimed that a raise was never discussed. When they claim that you earn tips they are trying to make it seem better than it is. You might leave a day of work with $2.00 in tips. If they decide that they don't like you rather than firing you they will just cut your hours until you quit. Do not work here unless you absolutely have to!!! This is a terrible company! Run from it if you can!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Minimum days off, horrible management, low pay, awful company
Cool place to work
Crew (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDAugust 1, 2016
Five Guys is a pretty cool place to work most of the time. You get reviews every few months and if you do good on them you get a raise. You also get money from bonuses if you get a perfect score on the daily secret shopper. Only bad part about it to me is some of the management some of them just should have never been promoted. But overall I feel this would be the #1 fast food place to work at because of the bonuses and culture.
Pros
free lunches, bonuses
Fast pace enviornment
Customer Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 15, 2016
A typical day at five guys is providing customers with great customer service when being at the cash register. Making burgers, fries, washing dishes, doing lobby checks which require to make sure that the restaurant is clean and presentable. I definitely learned how to work as a team at five guys. Management is great and effective and coworkers are friendly. Hardest part of the job is probably closing for the night. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with coworkers to get the job done and helping customers.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
long hours, get out of work late when you have a closing shift
Great place to work but required long hours sometimes that made home life difficult.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXAugust 2, 2016
I loved working at Five Guy's. I was a manager and had a great team of employees. The atmosphere was always fun and positive. The environment was fast paced and challenging. I gained a lot of personal satisfaction from running a successful shift. Upper management was very supportive and offered advancement opportunities as well as bonuses. This was a great incentive that motivated all employees to do their best at all times. The only drawback to this job was the unpredictable hours, but those can almost always be expected working in the food service industry.
Pros
Free lunches, potential to earn bonuses each week
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Poor Upper Management
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXNovember 16, 2016
The upper management were not involved and whenever they did get involved would base decisions on favoritism instead of actual work ethic and performance.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Benefits, room for advancement, management
The NH stores were bought out a couple of months after I began, and it resulted in a better experience for the customer, but not the managers.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHJune 12, 2016
I enjoyed working in a facility that believed in fresh product: no freezers, no can openers. We started the day with food prep and set-up. We also began our managerial daily paperwork. All prep and subsequent clean-up was to be done in sufficient time to allow the the 2-6 person crew a sufficient break including daily huddle before we opened the doors at 11AM.

Five Guys' customer service is second to none that I have ever personally experienced and the amazing focus on cleanliness allowed the facility to all but glow. At the end of the night, There was 1-2 hours worth of clean up on top of the completion of the managerial paperwork.
Pros
High health, quality, and cleanliness standards
Cons
often times understaffed, long hours on salary
Fun, friendly atmosphere with great opportunities to advance the career
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSJuly 14, 2016
The Five Guys Burgers and Fries Brand is something truly special. The employees are upbeat and warm and the overall atmosphere is one to be remembered. The management does an excellent job at handling employees and advancement is not too difficult. I had a great time while working here, though the music is a little outdated and oftentimes, I would return from work smelling like onions.
Pros
Free lunches, great atmosphere, friendly coworkers, clean environment
Cons
Short, breaks, Smell like onions, Outdated music
New management
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAOctober 29, 2016
Thew new GM pushed me away from moving up, i do believe she was trying to force me to quit. she refused to work with me on changing schedules around. cutting my hours but not other managers hours due to "labor". I had to take up a second job. I got terminated for one reason and a termination write up for another reason. This new GM, in my eyes needs to work better with there employees. communication is a must and was not there at all. i felt like i was disrespected every day by fellow managers and not given an opportunity i should have been given and would have received if the old GM did not leave. I would have given my two week instead, she chose to not communicate with me and had a shift lead fire me over her self. I've never been in a position where i felt like this before. if you plan to move up make sure the GM likes you. she fired a Shift lead before me, given for a valid reason. now i understand how he was pushed out of the so-called "family" of management. this is what happened to me as well. I loved this job, now i cant return due to managers firing me for hear say and getting written up for something different for no reason. I really hope that the store doesn't fall apart, i do see this happening very soon. It's a common with this location and all of the owners locations for the past several years.
Pros
food, service, staff
Cons
Management, communication, staff
Fun and energetic workplace with free meals and tips!
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIOctober 31, 2016
Very well paid for a fast food job. Includes tips and secret shopper bonuses. Advancement can take some time. They'll treat you well if you work hard and show them tat you want to be there.
Pros
Free meals, tips, secret shopper bonuses
Cons
healthcare, advancement oportunities
enjoyable place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2016
I enjoyed working for five guys and the advancements are great. They are a wonderful company to work for and you have great benefits. I really have nothing negative to say about them as a company
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
no family life
High advancement in company, good with employees
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIDecember 6, 2016
Five Guys gave me a great experience in my work life! I very much enjoyed the people I work with and they make the company worth working for. The company does what they can to give back to the employees and that's what get our employees motivated to be upbeat and willing to go above and beyond. One of the hardest parts of this job is finding people who are willing do close our stores on a daily just because of intense cleaning, A typical day at work was enjoyable because of the flow of people coming in and out of the doors, because everyone is normally in great moods due to the energy through out the store. During my time with the company they taught me many cleaning techniques and didn't food safety procedures.
Pros
Free Lunches, Mystery Shops
Cons
No paid vacations for shift managers
An ok work place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 22, 2016
This job would be for someone who has their first job. The work place is decent and they are willing to train as much as they can. I had a good experience but did not see much future there.
Pros
Free Lunches and breaks
Cons
No pay raise or opportunities
Amazing morning crew bad night management. Great work enviroment.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNAugust 25, 2016
The mornings and management for it were amazing. The night crew was not. A typical morning in five guys we prepare 200 pounds of potatoes, 30 heads of lettuce, 30 onions, 20 some green peppers and jalapenoes, cook bacon, prep a few hot dogs, and make between 480 to 720 burger patties. After this the morning goes thru two rushes and six hours of regular time in the restaurant. The night shift comes in at 4 pm and starts to cut potatoes (about 100 lbs) to finish out the rest of the night. For the night shift you can have one of three jobs each involving cleaning, stocking, and scrubbing miscellaneous things from cleaning bathrooms to cleaning fryers to cleaning dishes.
Pros
Free Lunches. Amazing mornings
Cons
Management somtimes diffucult
Great workplace with lots of energy
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 5, 2016
A great workplace in the restaurant world. Great atmosphere, full of energy and enthusiasm. Employees are allowed to actively engage with customers, including joking around. Management is decent, but mostly ran by young adults in school. It can be a bit tedious at times. Co-workers vary store to store, but the one I'm at has a fantastic crew and enjoys doing what they do. Hardest part is just the stress during peak times, seeing $1000 hours; sometimes back to back. The most enjoyable part is the people you meet, and work along with.
Pros
Mystery shops that awared money, free food, medical benefits
Cons
management, no advancement
okay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 25, 2016
No benefits and poor staffing and training make five guys too stressful to be management in the only good thing is my co workers are fun to work with other than that id pass
fast paced, understaffed
Shift Leader/ Third Manager (Current Employee) –  West Lebanon, NHMay 3, 2016
fast paced environment, Although it gave plenty opportunity fro advancement the high turnover rate and inflexible schedule burns almost everyone thats worked there out. since i started only 4 people are there that were there when I started. I learned a lot about management and the paperwork side of running a business. the hardest part of the job was defiantly the quantity of no call no shows and weeks in a row of working a very busy restaurant at 25%staff.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not flexible hours.
good working environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Pinole, CAMarch 31, 2016
My typical day is making sure my employees are having a good day at work also making sure that my costumers are getting good quality food at a great ticket time. management there needs a lot of work me as a GM is very hard looking for people who want responsibilities as a manger. The hardest part about my job is committing to Pinole lots of traffic and just far away from home. the most enjoyable part of my job is that i love being around my employees and seeing them have a great time at work
Pros
we have great store meeting
Cons
not enough benefits
Great culture and workplace. If youre a manager so not expect to have a life out side of five guys
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 2, 2016
Five guys was great to me, but it requires a lot of you. If you're willing to give your all and nothing less to Five Guys, they will treat you right. I want to go to school and advance my personal life. As a manager it's not really capable of doing.
Pros
Free lunch and tips every day. Good progressiona and training.
Cons
No work life balance. This job demands a lot of managers' time
Tough but fun place to be
Area Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALJune 16, 2016
The work begins typically with staying in contact with all of the stores on a daily basis (seven days of the week) to make sure that they have no equipment, product, or staffing issues. Staying in touch with local vendors for managing some of these key issues and working with all members of management to make sure that any issues are addressed immediately and thoroughly.
I've learned how to multi manage numerous units for sales, food cost, and labor control. I've also learned a great deal from the people I work with on a daily basis for human resource management purposes, counseling ideas, and staffing for business purposes.
Hiring in great management and assisting in hiring in great staff is important for this work to go over well.
The hardest part of the job becomes working with only a select few vendors that I'm allowed, fighting an almost impossible labor cost and balanacing that with adequate staffing, and the driving over 1000+ miles in at least a week every week.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with some the interesting guests and crew. Being able to feel rather comfortable in my own unique skin for the work environment.
Pros
Free meal a day, tips, secret shopper bonuses, great opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Short to no breaks, sometimes no days off, being stationed for work that isn't part of the job description.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDNovember 4, 2016
I was hired as a manager and the job wasn't so bad, You pretty much make burgers and fries, clean, and a lot of customer service.
The down side to working at Five Guys is unstable management who would rather make the restaurant their dating playground and drama playground. If they feel threatened by you, such as, think you want their position they will find a reason to fire you.
Pros
Free food, Nice pay, Good work environment
Cons
Shady unstable management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Guys. Our community is ready to answer.