Five Guys Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,046 reviews matching the search
A job that provided quick advancement
Team Member (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 25, 2016
At Five Guys I would usually work mornings. So a typical day for me would start with doing food preparation for the day (cutting lettuce, slicing tomatoes, portioning meat, etc.). Following that I would perform different functions including customer service, cashiering, food preparation and distributing, and dining room attendance. I learned how to work well at different tasks and in a different environment then I had worked previously. The management was good. They were going through a transition at the time I was there which mad it slightly difficult but didn't really effect my work. I had a couple of co-workers that were little difficult to work with but overall I got along well with everyone. The hardest part of the job was working in an environment that had very little discretion. The most enjoyable part of the day was when we would prepare the food for the day.
Pros
Free lunches, good co-workers, would have quickly advanced had I remained working there
Cons
lack of discretion
Summary
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bountiful, UTJune 9, 2016
I have worked as a General manager for 3 years and I am looking to explore and grow my career in many areas. I open the store everyday and oversee the day to day operations of the company. I have on average 4+ managers and approximately 20 employees. There is very little help or communication from our Area Director and this leaves a gap in communication and mentoring. The hardest part of my job is the weekly hours I have been putting in every week. I enjoy leading my crew and running food and labor costs. I focus on being profitable and meeting and exceeding all goals set by the company.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Limited growth
Fun, friendly atmosphere with great opportunities to advance the career
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSJuly 14, 2016
The Five Guys Burgers and Fries Brand is something truly special. The employees are upbeat and warm and the overall atmosphere is one to be remembered. The management does an excellent job at handling employees and advancement is not too difficult. I had a great time while working here, though the music is a little outdated and oftentimes, I would return from work smelling like onions.
Pros
Free lunches, great atmosphere, friendly coworkers, clean environment
Cons
Short, breaks, Smell like onions, Outdated music
Fair Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 9, 2016
When you start, most people have to wipe tables, clean the bathrooms, and sweep the floors. Now, at Five Guys, people eat peanuts, and most customers do not try to keep their peanuts on the table. If you are really dedicated to keeping the lobby nice, you will be sweeping A LOT of peanuts off of the ground, which is on tile flooring that is uneven. Therefore, it will take a lot of effort to sweep just one section, especially with moving tables in the midst of that.

The people are pretty nice, but I heard a lot of complains from other employees about the supervision there. I didn't work there long, but there seems to be a lot of problems. However, I did not experience any of this, so they may just be complaining for no reason.

The hardest part of the job was definitely sweeping the peanuts on the uneven floor. The most enjoyable part of the job was working the cash register for me, because I love working with people and customer service.
Pros
Free Five Guys Burger with any toppings, fries, and a drink free every shift
Cons
Sweeping the floor.
All consuming
Crew (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day at work was dependent of which of the two shifts you worked. I worked through the dinner rush mostly.

The morning was easy, prep for the day. Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, cheese, hundreds of pounds of potatoes, meat for the patties, milkshake toppings. A lot of gossip happened at the patty smashing table, which I wasn't fond of. Then the short 3 hour lunch rush, go home.

The dinner shift was not so easy. I would come in at 2 or 4 in the afternoon. There were the morning dishes, more potatoes to cut, then the longer dinner rush from 5-9pm before it slows down into the evening. Then came breaks, and eventually closing time at 10pm. Frantically, everything is cleaned, from the ceiling to scrubbing the floors, and bleaching the drain. The store was to be absolutely sanitary for the morning crew.

I had never worked in a line cook position before. I was taught to run the flat top grill first, then the potato fryers. Within a month I was given a raise and was told that I would be getting my training binder to become a manager. I never saw the binder.

The managers were fun to work with on the line, but behind the scenes, there was zero professional communication. Schedules were poorly attended to and often times were rewritten once or twice throughout the week. The franchise was also majorly understaffed through the state, and the new hire turn over rate was astonishing. Several people each month would pop in to try it out for a day or two and then just stop showing up. There was maybe a core team of ten non-management staff that showed up everyday, and less
  more... were consistently on time. A few of the people I encountered there were ex-felons, or recovering drug addicts. To say the least, the conversations there were interesting.

I didn't like the pace of this franchise. Much of the work was quickly swinging around hot oil, and running back and forth with as many 5 gallon buckets of water and fries as you can carry at once. I was coming home too tired to do anything else. I stopped making myself dinner each night, and started to neglect my diet, relying on the free burgers I got at break time. The food isn't as high quality as they claim either, and they use backwards prep methods so that they don't have to teach teenagers how to use knives. It's all within food standards, food in the proper sinks and everything sanitized, but using the potato cutter to cut onions was a first for me.

All in all, there is a niche here, and some of their managers have found it. It's hard work, and you work with some kinda difficult people from time to time, but there was kindness, and compassion from the people who were long term employees there.
Pros
Free lunches, guaranteed hours
Cons
Pay, exhaustion
A nice place to start
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAOctober 12, 2015
Cool place to start. Just like any other fast food place. Not much exciting stuff to say. Management was kind of wack when I worked there.
Pros
fun
Cons
smelly, no raises, close late
Productive and fast placed work place.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 20, 2016
This job is a very well learning experience, It brought out my professional working skills and made me a better improved worker. A typical day at work is me teaching my team members how to improve at their jobs and work skills, and running numbers. My co workers are amazing a very productive and happy with their jobs, they do their best to work together and get the job done. I don't typically have a bad day with them unless they have personal issues and bring them to work but I always manage to get them out of their bad day and make it a little better.The hardest part of my job is dealing with co workers or co managers who don't try and work with me and always want things their way and also learning the general manager numbers and jobs. The most enjoyable part of my job is the fast paced and exciting environment. I like working with my team mates and meeting new customers every day. This is one of the best jobs that I have had yet.
Pros
Free lunches, learning experience, management skills
Cons
not paid breaks, co workers who don't work together
fast peace and very busy work enviroment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 11, 2016
a typical day at work was very busy lines out the door,the main thing i learned at work no matter how busy the store gets never fold under pressure,management was on top of there game store always had great reviews, graded with 100% on every shop, my co-workers were all for the company made sure everything was taken care of, hardest part of the job was the long lines out the door, the most enjoyable part was the people because there's always someone coming in making yu smile
Pros
free food
Cons
short breakes
A learning environment
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2015
I was always learning something new, my fellow co-workers and management team was highly motivational about my desire to become cross-trained in all aspects of my job scope. A fun filled and learning environment with opportunity to grow and develop with in the company.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
No benefits for part-time employees, and depending on Sales we were sent home early.
Co-workers were friendly and patient and the workplace was very clean.
Red Shirt Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 19, 2016
I began working at Five Guys fairly late in the summer, however the management and my co-workers were very friendly and patient, quickly teaching me my responsibilities and trusting me to fulfill them without needing micromanagement. The most difficult portion of the job was learning to quickly understand and produce customer orders even while under the considerable stress of rush hour. Because of the fryer's location in the kitchen, I was also responsible for handing orders to the customers, which I found to be the most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job.
Pros
One free meal per shift
good job, no benefits
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLOctober 15, 2015
I really liked working for this company, but the benefits weren't that great for me. We were paid minimum wage, but raises were not given when they were earned and promised.
Way too much work for the pay...Not worth it unless u dont have a choice
Line Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Times Square, NYJuly 26, 2016
Way too much drama between employees, mangers &/or both. Usually only one of everything (brooms, dustpans, squeegees, etc.). Very petty with the hours. I've worked there for 6 months & only had 2 legitimate emergency call outs with notes & over 5 hours before my shift & the gm still took 1 to 2 days away the very next week or 2. They do that to everyone for some reason... Horrible
Pros
Better than being broke, tips, free meal
Cons
Short break, not enough pay for that kind of work
Manager in Training
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZAugust 11, 2015
My typical day would start out with me doing prep then a lot of deep cleaning things. but once the doors open it would be busy until threeish. don't even think about trying to be a manager. i tried in i was in training for six months with knowing everything and that is why i was going to be a manager but my GM was having problems and didn't want to finish and give me my raise and title.
Fun Place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 6, 2015
It is great place to start your work experience you tend to get really close to your co-workers and tasks are completed as a team. Management is really bad though. There is no seriousness when it comes to work incidents or problems. Really bad schedule organization and bad compensations. Manager really don't care about their employees
Pros
Free Lunches, Secret Shopper Awards, Paid Break.
Cons
Bad Scheduling, poor management
Ver fun place although this location had its share of drama.
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Neck, NYMarch 20, 2016
I experienced some hints of racism through insensitive racist remarks and jokes from managers. I did enjoy my stay however as I learned much from it. I enjoyed my co workers but management was never on the same page with each other causing a lot of tension. The customer were great sometimes but they too would display unpleasant behavior to many of the younger black employes.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Internal conflicts with management
Very proactive and fast pasting job to experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2016
Working at Five Guy is good but its a very fast pasting job to deal with. Working inside the Airport could get busy at all time so working here had me learn to stay on a great attitude an mindset. Sometimes there would be days where it could get stressful but there no giving up on it. builds you into becoming a wonderful employee in other future jobs that come to you.
Pros
free food, 30 min breaks, tips
Cons
negative customers, stresful situations
Overall
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAJune 3, 2016
Overall in the beginning it seemed promising, but overall the experience wasn't pleasurable. The number of people hired and fired were at high rates. Many were just there to get a quick check and move on to the next. training was NOT paid, and co-workers had to teach me what the videos did not show. The men were for the most part allowed on the line while the women cleaned and only did register. Co-workers were selfish, and not enthusiastic.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
waiting to clock in, lack of unity with co-workers
Cool place to work
Crew (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDAugust 1, 2016
Five Guys is a pretty cool place to work most of the time. You get reviews every few months and if you do good on them you get a raise. You also get money from bonuses if you get a perfect score on the daily secret shopper. Only bad part about it to me is some of the management some of them just should have never been promoted. But overall I feel this would be the #1 fast food place to work at because of the bonuses and culture.
Pros
free lunches, bonuses
nice environment and staff
Cashier/Lobby Host (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 19, 2015
nothing was hard to do there. i learned to do everything besides manager positions. the management was AWESOME as well as the staff. very good people
Pros
free lunch, awesome staff
benefits
A great place to work and fun
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PAJune 21, 2016
Assisting customers were really fun, as well as being apart of this team. from the cooking on the line and taking orders I enjoyed every bit of it. everyday was interesting because you never know what customer is going to push your buttons or complain about something little. despite the little disagreements with team members it was a great place to work.
Pros
free lunch, free drinks, random breaks
Cons
short breaks, crazy hours, some empolyees