Five Star Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and Efficient
Teller (Current Employee) –  Dansville, NYApril 14, 2016
I've learned quite a bit through working here and have been able to continue my employment through a number of branches. It is a very eager environment and they are very understanding and willing to accommodate your schedule if possible. The typical day tends to very, but there is always something that you are able to keep busy with. Learning from your coworkers is one of the most vital portions. Everyone is very willing to work together in order to make the entire environment run more smoothly.
Community bank that is behind the times and trying to play catchup
BUSINESS ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 20, 2016
My time at FSB gave me an insight of what type of management and work environment I would prefer to work for--inclusive, aknowledges your successes instead of honing in on errors that were correctable and should have been used as learning experiences. A company that encourages proativeness and open to new ideas and not so set in their ways they would not consider a more modern approach.

I never felt that I was part of a team endeavor nor felt that I was trained properly to be truly effective in the position I held. When I accepted the position, I was given the impression I would get proper training, unfortunately that did not happen.

It was difficult to work with the IT department except for my system engineer, she was extremely knowledgable and I learned quite a bit about the system I was managing from her. However management was lacking insight especially when we had priority 1 outages or emergency fixes. I found the lack of urgency disburbing and unproductive as the majority of the time the down time effected one of their biggest revenue streams.

What I liked the most about my job were my fellow co-workers, they made my job very pleasurable.
Pros
great people
Cons
poor management
Team Oriented
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, NYSeptember 9, 2015
Lots of customer interaction. Company is positively changing toward the future. Fun place to work. Learn a lot about customers and how to help with their banking needs.
typical day at five star
Teller (Former Employee) –  Salamanca NYJuly 22, 2015
Days involved waiting on customers either in the lobby or in the drive thru. taking phone calls, doing deposits with large sums of money.
Pros
Interacting with people
Cons
Part time
Teller
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Rochsester, NYJuly 6, 2015
It was alright but for my particular branch there was a lot of drama for people who are 50+ and only 6 of us working the branch. There's chairs to sit because the branch is so slow but the head teller wouldn't let anyone sit til after lunch even though the boss didn't care. Standing all day on a hard floor with thin carpet isn't good for your feet or back. If you didn't greet each customer that came in she had an attitude. And, theres no point t the branch being open til 6 pm on Thursdays..we usuallt did not see a customer after 430 pm.
Nice Place to work supportive management most of the time. Relaxed atomospher very caring about employees well being
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 28, 2015
I always like getting to work early and thats what was nice about working at Five Star we had the flexability with the hours we worked just as long as we put in our 8 hours which rarely was the case because of our work loads we always had the option of overtime which was nice. Flexable lunch breaks and we were not micro managed we worked in a team but also as a indidvidual. We worked our desk on how it best suited us and we were trusted by our employers and managers to get the job done. It was a fast pace enviroment and lots of changes. In our teams we were always supportive of each other and had each others back when it came to deadlines and going above to get the job done. There was not a part of the job that was harder than the other we had difficult loan applications and sometimes difficult clients but always did our best to satisfy our customers and vendors. The most enjoyable part of my job was when my clients would close on their home and I would get a email or a phone call thanking me for all my hard work and for being so patient and friendly and making their home buying experience so easy thats what made my job most enjoyable. I truly do love working in the mortgage industry.
Average bank job
Teller (Current Employee) –  Some place in NYMay 17, 2015
My experience as a teller at this bank depends strictly on which branch I'm working at. Some times I'm asked to go to other branches to work because they are short handed. Some locations are better to work at than others depending on if you like a busy work environment.

There is not a lot of room for upward mobolity at my home branch but like I said they are all different. Some locations management will work with you to satisfy your career goals and some won't.

High turnover rate of employees in all departments because low wages and no raises.

Vacation time is a plus, plus personal days and good insurance. And you meet a lot of great people.
Pros
Vacation time, personal time, bank hours are good
Cons
Low wages, no upward mobility
Fun place if you fit in
anonymous peon (Current Employee) –  that placeMarch 27, 2015
Truly, I do not enjoy my employment at Five Star Bank and that is my own opinion. However, it's a job and it's close by. The culture of the bank is constantly changing and everyday you will hear various rumors churning out of the mill that will leave you fearing for your job. Everyone gossips somewhere in the organization and depending on where you work, there are larger groups of cliches. If you don't fit in or aren't liked, you aren't going to have good time and will more than likely be bullied in some form. So if you do happen to work here, constantly be positive and outgoing to fit in. You'll do fine. However, I still do hear a lot of talk about employees behind their backs when they were not present. Not very friendly. In all fairness, though, they try to be good by celebrating birthdays and having potlucks.

The benefits are minimal at best and the perks of working there are slowly dwindling as they figure out how to max out their own profits. Senior management will constantly ignore the quips of employees wanting raises or better benefits and counter by releasing statements about the investments already made into each employee.

The back office politics are completely annoying and on high school level at best. You will be expected to do way more work than what you are paid for and even then, you probably aren't doing enough. Don't think for a moment you aren't replaceable, because everyone there is. It's not a good environment to work in.
Pros
lenient on clock ins, understanding of family issues, free food quite often, potlucks.
Cons
senior management, culture, technology, juvenile personalities.
fun and enjoyable workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Caledonia, NYMarch 20, 2015
open bank with another individual
get ready for customers to come in/organize money
coworkers always friendly awesome to work with
FSB Growing
administrative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 13, 2015
small bank making progress in growing and competition with larger financial institutions - management training needs to improve - educational assistance good - internal equity issues
Pros
educational assistance
Cons
management training

Want to know more about Five Star Bank?

Ask a question
Great work place
Part-Time Teller (Current Employee) –  Painted Post, NYJanuary 30, 2015
Five Star Bank is a great place to work.
The branch I work in has great employees. Everyone helps each other out and solve problems when needed.
Stable
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, NYJanuary 10, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Five Star Bank. They know what they are good at and stick to it. The organization is full of great people and many days I wish I had not left. Because of the size of the organization compensation is below market averages
Pros
great people
Cons
compensation
Nice company not too many branches in area
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYDecember 14, 2014
Love working here. Just wish there were more branches so that there would be more advancement available.
worked hard to get compensation in area you wanted
Deposit Account Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, NYNovember 19, 2014
great bank to work for. great pay and I liked the management team
5 Star
Fraud Analyst (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, NYSeptember 26, 2014
The management is no good. I would never work for that bank ever again. There is no room for advancement in the back office and its all about politics not banking for the customer.
it was a really good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Warsaw,NYMay 22, 2014
I started there as a head teller in a management position. I was in charge of the teller line. I loved what I did. I was in charge of the ordering of the cash flow for the entire branch. scheduling of the tellers, balancing of all the money for the branch, audits, personal performance reviews of the tellers, that was the hardest part of the job. Then I moved up and became a customer service representative opening accounts, loans, and answering issues over the phone as they came up.

Good Job
Pros
i loved the customers
Cons
management
My Dream job in a nut shell.
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Wayland, New YorkMay 19, 2014
I enjoyed my time with Five Star Bank, I had a good working relationship with my employees.
Team oriented/ Busy office
Teller II (Former Employee) –  152 Franklin Street Dansville NY 14437December 23, 2013
Very Busy office~ high stress in sales in the banking world.
Selling Loans and credit cards~
Opening accounts/ closing accounts
Lines of credit review
Mortgage pmts/ escrow program
Balancing the bank/ Teller drawers
Scanning work / selling and counting cash sent from Brinks
Pros
enjoyed customers/ home town banking
Cons
sales ~
just say no
former employee (Former Employee) –  NYNovember 5, 2013
Five Star is clueless on the way a bank should really be. They claim to be a community bank and if you liked the way things were in the 70's with not much chance of changing then this is your place. System is archaic as well as the 'back office'. Operations are for the most part non existent and what there are no one can agree on. This place must kill many forests each year with all the paper consumed. you have to make copies to make sure the 'back office' doesn't lose what you send down. Online banking is old school and so confusing to many customers and employees alike. When questioned about this the answer is 'that's just the way it is'. Customers are not number 1 as it takes forever to get issues resolved.
The hours are great, no coming in early or leaving late-the reason? no customers. My co workers were great but most of them have left as well for the same reason posted above.
Pros
no stress
Cons
frustrating place to work
Excelent environment average pay
Teller (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire, NYJuly 30, 2013
Title says it all, great people to work with. Management cares about their employees. I don't recall having a single bad day at work. Pay grade is average at best. Most other banks start tellers of at a dollar or two higher. Perfect place to get started in the financial industry.
Pros
great co workers, decent benefits, free premier checking account.
Cons
lower end pay grade for tellers