Five Star Senior Living Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEJune 20, 2017
Five Star always preaches about how the residents come first. HA! What a joke! It's not about the residents, it's about the money! They honestly don't care about anyone in the facility but they make sure management is getting their bonuses while the rest of us barely make anything. You are lucky if you get 20 cents for a raise. There is no teamwork and no discipline. People can do whatever they want, whenever they want. The turnover rate is ridiculous and they wonder why they can't keep staff there.
Pros
SOME of the staff are fun to work with
Cons
Pay scale, environment, attitudes, no discipline
Charge Nurse LPN (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 13, 2017
Several locations and staff are able to work in all of them at the same time. This company is also nationwide, therefore jobs are available allover United States.
Pros
Nationwide
Area Chief Engineer
Area Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gretna, NEJune 11, 2017
Worked out of regional office where my direct supervisor was located 1500 miles away. I learned to be self-sufficient and more decisive as an independent manager thus giving me a more focused and accurate report back to corporate.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Excessive travel
Supportive
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJune 9, 2017
Great place to advance. Great benefits and paid time off.
Family centered and great resident care. Tuition Reimbursement to advance. Residents and families are great.
Dont know
Dietary Aide / Serve (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 8, 2017
You dont know what to expect
the needs of a elderly
keep it for myself
the people that really work are the ones who have the worst part always.
my coworkers the team work, doesn't exist
The residents .....my family (miss them :( )
Pros
free meals, close to home
Cons
health care, schedule, to much work for little salary
The coworkers and management are very helpful
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant/ Med Tech/ SIC (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 4, 2017
The job scenery is a major plus but you can only get so far in the job and the place requires more work than what we are trained for. They expect things to be done that we don't necessarily know how to do it.
Pros
Free lunches, friendly coworkers, paid breaks
Cons
Management, non paid lunch, limited flexibility, disorganized
Always keeping the residents active 24/7
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2017
I really enjoyed working at the Montebello throughout the 3 years I worked there. Until the end of my last month I wasn't given fair opportunity nor gained that many hours like I use to. However, I was dissatisfied with our new Human Resources manager and lead me to find new job opportunities that were available to work with my school schedule.
Pros
Good communication skills
Cons
Scheduling
Awful place to work
Bridge To Rediscovery Director (Former Employee) –  Cary, NC 27511May 29, 2017
The corporate team is awful. They sit high and look low and criticize every wrong move instead of build and learn from them. This only took place when the old RDO left and was replaced by a new RDO, whom quite frankly isn't fit for the job.
Hardworking and beautiful place to work
Dinner Server (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 27, 2017
Five Star company is great. I work at Meadowood in Bloomington Indiana as a dinner server. The job can be hard at times but it pays off. I think the down fall is that for it being a five star company I could be paid a little more then I am now.
Pros
Free food, flexible schedule, shirts and ties provided
Cons
Can be stressful, people can be rude at times
fun place to work
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLMay 25, 2017
handle full case load and communicate with nursing staff and family. residents are veery pleasant and great to work with. great theraapy team and easy communication with DOR
Management average
Resident Service Director (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAMay 24, 2017
average working environment with extra long hours due to management position and providing superior care for the residents and also management of staff
Micro managed
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2017
Management is horrible!! Read reviews before applying. Five Star is the most deceptive place I've ever worked. They will grin in your face and turn around and stab you in the back. Managers are never there to help during big events. They are above all work
Flexibility in treating patients
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the geriatric population and learning about their life experiences. While I provide them physical therapy and help them get back to their activities of daily living, they often share their life experiences that help benefit me in my own life. The hardest part of my job is motivating those residents that have never exercised and do not have any desire to exercise. It sometimes require that you become very creative in implementing the goals established for a patient.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Nursing staff unsupportive of physical therapy
Fun, laid back place to work.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 17, 2017
One of my first kitchen jobs. I worked as a Dietary Aide for the elderly. My time there gave me an appreciation for time management, team work, and organization.
Pros
Lunches provided, friendly working staff
Cons
Management seemed to be a bit preoccupied when complaints were expressed.
Not a place to stay at for years.
Dietary Server (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLApril 13, 2017
The pay here suck, the pay raise is once a year, and can't go over a quarter. I've been here 5 years and Minimum wage goes up every year and that's what they start people that join with. I don't think it's fair that I have been on the job for 5 years and make only 35 cents more than new employees.
great entry level position
LPN (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 10, 2017
this was my first job as a new graduate. i learned alot about the profession at five star. they have acute and chronic wings and the snf rehab. consists of therapy rehab that you work with is one of the best.
Do not work for this company
Activities Director (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 29, 2017
This company is the worst I have worked for. The management is so terrible they don't even know what they are doing and the buildings are always understaffed but yet the non management staff is overworked! The pay for every position is horrible and the benefits suck! This is the only company I have ever worked for where the only option they gave you was an unpaid 30 min. break that you had to take. Don't sign your life away you'll regret it.
Cons
Short breaks, unpaid lunch break, overworked
Good place to work!
Lead-Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 21, 2017
I have been employed going on 16 years and it has been a great and rewarding experience for me.
The Executive Director is one of the most caring persons I have seen or you will find anywhere.
For the most part the employees are loving and kind to our residents and each other.
I am getting ready to retire this year and will miss residents and staff very much, however I plan to return from time to time to call bingo for our residents, they love it and I enjoy doing it for them.
Most enjoyable part of everyday is when you have made the resident's day, you know you have made a difference in their lives.
The really hardest part of this job is when they pass away, it's like losing ones grandparent again and again, I have shed quite a few tears in my 16 years.
I have NO regrets from working with Five Star!
Pros
Making a differance
Cons
Short breaks
Nooooo!!!
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 13, 2017
The residents are a joy to work with and some of the staff are good! The management staff they don't know how to talk to or treat their employees. The housekeeping director needs to treat her staff and appreciate them. Also know how to talk to them and work as a team!!!
Pros
The residents and most staff!!!
Cons
The pay, short lunch breaks, a lil bias
One of their 5 values and at one time was we mind the business
Maintenance Director (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 8, 2017
5 Star is a joke. Spend so many dollars promoting dining that still is way below average. They ignore major building issues but they Mind The Business
Pros
Some staff is great even under paid
Cons
Managers are treated poorly and unfairly by Ed's and regionals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Star Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8