fiveBelow Employee Reviews

A really great first job!
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAJuly 7, 2017
I really enjoyed my time with FiveBelow. It was my very first job ever (I got it a few months after turning 16, and didn't quit until after I had turned 18) and I couldn't recommend it more for someone just starting out. Shifts are pretty much always four or five hours long for sales associates, and basically all that's required of you are super simple retail tasks, like being a cashier, customer service, cleaning the store, and restocking products/organizing shipments. My managers were amazing people who were super sympathetic and always ready to help whenever I got confused, and even kept me on as an employee after I left for college so that I would have a job whenever I came home on break!
The hardest part of the job was that, it being such a big store, there was A LOT of mess to clean up. The T-shirt wall would get destroyed, and we would have to re-fold the entire display before we could go home. Thousands of things were constantly misplaced. The first year or so, if I had a closing shift, chances are all of us would have to stay at least an hour (sometimes closer to 2 hours) over our scheduled time just to get everything looking reasonable for the next morning.
Because of the nature of the store, the customer base is also really iffy. People will fight to pay $2 instead of $2.50 for a can of noise putty and get really angry when their $5 phone case breaks after a week. You have to be prepared to deal with some blatantly nasty people.
Overall, I was really good friends with my coworkers, learned a lot about retail and earning money, and got better at handling rude
  more... people in a professional manner, and I would genuinely recommend this experience.  less
Pros
Employee discount on already cheap stuff, Flexible schedule with reasonable hours, Amazing first job
Cons
Rude customers, Super messy store, LOTS of returns, Tee-shirt uniform
Fun atmosphere great product good company to work for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 1, 2017
I enjoyed working for five below. the training I received was fantastic and greatly helpful in doing my job at a 100%. my dm brian ditty was the best supervisor ive ever had. he was very helpful and a very hands on dm. he cared for the employees and was there if we needed him. the company was a very family oriented group of people.
an experience
Freight Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXMarch 7, 2017
it definitely has its ups and downs but dont think with the current management i would ever suggest some to the job culture is diverse the hardest part of the job is having to pick up after a manager that should know there job
nice place if you know how to keep your eyes closed
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 27, 2017
i worked with company for almost 5 and half years. i did leave for a short period of time. i came back because of the management team. shortly after i came back the store started to slip and management changed. At this time i stepped up to the assistant manager position and did not like how things got. found out a lot about the company and realized it wasn't something i wanted to be part of.
Pros
nice job, and the associates were a good team
Cons
the company its self and the GM/DM
Fun place to work, but....
Promting all sales (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 8, 2017
Great place to work everyone gets along very well for the most part. Sometimes the management can be very unprofessional. Although the district was very profession and appreciative of the hard work put in by associates.
Pros
fun work enviroment
Cons
didnt take breaks
Fun workplace for a first time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJanuary 26, 2017
Its a really great store to work for a first job. The people that work there are really fun to be around. I learned how to work at a fast paced environment during the holidays. The hardest part of the job is working the holidays because you deal with many different customers.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
The pay is low
A productive work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIDecember 8, 2016
I enjoy working there, I get along with my coworkers, everybody is nice and I also like helping customers help find what they need to make their shopping go a lot easier. There is nothing really hard about the job, I learned that my math and my multitasking gotten a lot better. The best part about my job is my coworkers, cause I really get along with everybody and meeting new people. A typical day at work that is really busy and I stay busy and it make the day go quicker,
Pros
Discounts
Kristina burden
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALJuly 24, 2016
I am an out going people person. I work with people every day and I love it. I am a great leader of others and I get the job done. I work hard and I stop at nothing to get the job done.
Manager steals from company, NO cameras
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  CTMarch 7, 2016
I need a new boss that doesn't abuse me mentally and emotionally. The store itself is cute and fun and I love the customers (for the most part) except my boss needs to leave ASAP. He is disrespectful to all of his employees and even bad talks a group of Special Needs Adults, making rude remarks about their disabilities.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Boss, minimum wage, high employee turnover.
Fun, yet productive environment.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHNovember 13, 2015
At Five Below, I was a sales associate. At the start of each morning, I was required to do a list of cleaning, then count my register. Throughout the day I was required to keep the front end of the store clean and tidy. I also had to price merchandise and stock shelves. I learned about customer service and how to help an angry customer. I am capable of working with an angry or upset customer and bringing down the intensity. The most difficult part of the job was dealing with a customer that was angry for purposes unrelated to the store, maybe a bad day or family situation. Those instances can be difficult when the anger is taken out on the cashier because it is beyond our control. All we as cashiers can do is offer a polite smile and condolences. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely interacting with regular customers. When you work at a job for so long, certain faces become familiar and enjoyable!
Pros
Good hours, great management, lively music to listen to over the speakers, getting to see the merchandise as it comes in.
Cons
Business can be a little slow during the summer months
I had a pretty good time.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PAJune 9, 2015
A typical day at work was first seeing whether I was on the register or working on the floor with the customers. The days that I was scheduled to work on the registers, I was responsible for the register and keeping the front of the store nice and neat. If I was on the floor, I would be responsible for keeping the whole store clean and neat for the customers.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Great Managers
Cons
Not enough pay, Customers
Cheap cheap cheap.
Key holder (Former Employee) –  SpringfieldFebruary 26, 2015
Don't even have to say much, all other reviews hit it right on the head. The place is a joke. Nobody has any idea what's going on -and anybody that did is so fed up they've quit or been fired. The only way to move up is to get somebody fired ! It's not possible to hold this as your only job. Cashiers get around 8-12 hours a week and management well under 60 hours every two weeks. This job is for children.
Pros
Easy going environment
Cons
Horrible pay
Very fast paced work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PADecember 18, 2014
Fivebelow was a good place to work. It was always busy, and very time consuming. It had some stressful days, but overall the people, and the customers were great.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Holiday Seasons
Job for high school kids-or second part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2014
I started at Five Below nearly a month ago. It's a newly opened location in Chicago. Not a hard job at all, especially if you have retail or management experience. Using the register is really easy. Co-workers seem to get along okay. The management team could put in a lil more effort. Seems like everyone in the store gets no more than 2 or 3 days a week as an associate. A lot of cleaning up the store and placing items back where they belong (a lot of children come in and seem to play with EVERYTHING). Overall not a bad experience, an okay type of work for extra cash in the pocket.
Pros
Employee discount, easy work.
Cons
Not enough hours, no benefits
no personal advancement poor pay for job duties
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  MidwestOctober 7, 2014
I was an assisntant manager for the company a little over a year. I was told i would be managing a store after a year. Didnt happen. Store manager rarely there, i basically ran the store , made most product decisions, and did all the training and most back office work. Work many hours off the clock , made record breaking numbers while my manager who was rarely there got all the credit, corporate cant make up there mind on merchandising , a lot of man hours wasted on doing something one day and changing it the next. District Manager knew who stuff but when something was wrong she was never to blame. I confronted them about the bad and all they did was try to CYA rather than get to the root of the problem. I have worked retail for more than 10 years with half that being in management and this is the most unorganized loosely structured company i have worked for. Great customer service initiatives though
Pros
christmas bonus
Cons
poor structure, low pay and advancement
Poor company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Point, GASeptember 13, 2013
Company has poor service, fail to notify employee of schedule changes, poor management.
the worst of the worst
manager (Former Employee) –  vaAugust 18, 2013
my time with this company really could not be called a job. it was a bait and switch. i was told they were looking for sales manager to help develop the staff. what it was is gloryfied stockboy with keys. there was no mangaement involved.
Pros
none there was nothing good about this place
Cons
everything, from lying about pay rate to poor training
Not a productive environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIMarch 9, 2013
Pricing stocking and locating items recovering store and cleaning up after close.
Fun place to work, good management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Countryside, ILMarch 6, 2013
I learned alot at Fivebelow. First time working in retail. Learned the day to day operations of a store, dealing with customers directly and product placement.
Pros
employee discount.
Fun working around kids
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bear, DEFebruary 3, 2013
: Cleaning up spills , Folding T-Shirts, Sweeping, Working the cash register.

: I learned to have patience because i worked around all age groups i also learned how to organize certain sections with a creative look.

: I had 4 different levels of management , They were all very respectful and reasonable with any situation.

: My co-workers where very supportive and helpful they taught me how to be friendly . Some had problems with jealousy towards other employees.

: The hardest part of the job was getting hours because there was so many people working there ,

: The most enjoyable thing was working around people my age.
Pros
free snacks. discount on everything in the store, environment
Cons
the pay, no hours