Fleetmaster Express, Inc.

Fleetmaster Express, Inc. Employee Reviews

Communication & Money
Regional Driver (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 14, 2016
Wow, what an experience!! Just started with Fleetmaster three months ago and everyone has been great. The miles are great. NO BS on 2500+ per week. Someone is always available unlike other companies. Need to call at 3am?? Someone picks up! New management and people who care about drivers. This is going to be a great Xmas for my family.
Pros
safety bonuses, family environment, home once per week
Cons
Only certain locations have shops
Poorly run company
Warehouse Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 14, 2016
Fleetmaster Express is a company that would be well served to get rid of one person who requires a cult of personality around him. The VP Travis Smith is a person who that if you do no worship his ego then you are not going to continue to work there,
Pros
Cons
Terrible leadership
Too many excuses
Regional driver (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 6, 2016
I've been with Fleetmaster for almost a year and I'm still hearing that dispatch and planning are "new". You can sit for several hours waiting for a load and they say that you get paid "detention pay". It is a joke. I sat for 4 hours one time to find out the load I was picking up was the trailer right next to me. So after weeks of argument I got paid $20 for my time. I am well worth more than $5 an hour. Turnover is high at this company. If I had a say in what happened, I would guarantee that you know what your pre-planned route is before you finish the one you are on. I would also increase the detention pay to start 30 minutes after it starts and pay at least $15 hr. Detention pay should not have to be "requested", it should be automatically paid. Every time you call, someone "new" answers the phone and gives you a different answer. The "safety bonus" is a joke. I have heard that years ago it was a great company, then the owner passed and the son now runs it. Anyone who dispatches or plans leads should have some knowledge of how the truck driver daily routine is and should have to ride with a driver for a couple weeks. I am leaving because I'm tired of hearing excuses and want to be able to plan and know where I'm going to next.
Pros
I did get a brand new truck when I started even though it was a small Cascadia. No room at all, I did get home every weekend
Cons
Communication really doesn't exist, can't get a straight answer, dispatch is horrible
good job
Spotter Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 6, 2016
its a good job not the best but they can work with you if you put forth the effort and they will try to met you there . i really dont like the fact they dont give you full details on the job duties until you actually commit to the job and show up for the training
Pros
good time off
Cons
very high turnover cause they dont pay overtime and you hit overtime every pay period
if I could give it a minus 5
Driver (Former Employee) –  Monticello, INAugust 29, 2016
If you like to earn an average of about $12 an hour, never know what you're doing tomorrow until the end of today even though the supervisor knows days in advance what you'll be doing because he has a little power trip going on, and you like to work 12 to 14 hours a day, and you also like when the equipment breaks down that it's just your problem and you don't get paid for any of your time to deal with it, then this is the place for you!
Pros
Cons
The entire experience
good job, little room for advancement
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Eden, NCAugust 21, 2016
It is a good company but lacks room for advancement. lack of communication between offices and management, Not a clear list of who to answer to.
Okay company to work for
Local Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eden, NCJuly 18, 2016
Management will lie to benefit their own gains. I and others were told after MillerCoors closed that I would still have a job. 1 year later I am being laid off. This is a very hard job to learn, and can be very stressful. Drivers can talk to you however they want and nothing will be done. Be ready to get verbally abused on a daily basis and you can't say anything back.
Pros
pay is decent, personal time can be used as vacation
Cons
holidays not a given, 24/7 never stops, drivers can do no wrong, always dispatches fault
terrible place to work if you got a family to take care of
former driver. short haul and regional (Current Employee) –  Eden, NCApril 18, 2016
You'll be gone all week just to bring home about $500. They will tell you what ever to take a load. Good equipment and that's it. Don't trust them. Drivers manager in eden is moocher.
Pros
a job
Cons
insurance and no money made
i wouldnt recommend this company
Truck Driver CDL A (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 12, 2016
they force dispatch you on short runs .they are always trying to push you to run harder take away from your home time then send you to deliver in areas where there are no loads coming out of so you sit an wait for hours making 10$ an hour waiting i can do that working for mcdonalds .give you appointment times that cant be met then reprimand you.
Pros
fair pay at .40cents a mile
Cons
forced dispatch very little hometime
Stressful work place environment. No team work.
Director (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 26, 2015
Stressful environment, long days.
Learned different company's have very different management styles.
Found co-workers were not team players.
Found company culture very difficult to adjust to.
Working with customers and vendors.
Pros
Company car
Cons
Poor healthcare coverage.
Family atmosphere with the drive of a machine
Driver Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 6, 2015
Loved working for Fleetmaster for the family I have gained there and the education in a field that I never thought I would get to know.
Stay away
Employee (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 27, 2015
Service Manager is horrible. The offices are full of ego's and attitude.
You have to go through a temp service before you are hired on and that is only if office personal like you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
working with ego's
Good working relationship with management. Terrible pay
driver (Former Employee) –  columbus ohioAugust 9, 2015
The management teams are effective and try to keep drivers happy. The miles outside of regional division are inconsistent but regional lanes were steady. Home time was better than fair. If Fleetmaster would reward their driver with better pay(well below national average), it would be a great job.
Pros
good relations with management
Cons
pay. Eden dispatch team is terrible
Wonderful company.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 12, 2015
I enjoyed working for Fleetmaster for 14 years. I was broken hearted when our division was shut down due to lack of work. I will miss them and the wonderful people they employ.
Pros
Great benefits
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Fleetmaster Express. I was proud to be a member of their team.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 25, 2015
My position at Fleetmaster was very stressful; however, I enjoyed the challenge. The hardest part of the job was the continual interruptions of phone and radio calls while trying to ensure that trailers were set and assigned properly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I felt assisting MillerCoors, spotting customers, and drivers with any issues they may have had. I enjoyed knowing that I had made each step of the process as painless and productive as possible while providing a pleasant experience for everyone.
Pros
If you want a true relationship with a company, you will feel like a family member.
Cons
Lack of work ended at 14 year career with a wonderful company.
No room for advancement
Truck Driver/Yard Jockey (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAMarch 29, 2015
I worked as a switcher for fleetmaster. I would switch trailers for Goodyear. Other than the schedule, which was Goodyears swing shift, the money was not good, and the work was worse.
steady work, Good company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2014
long hours, but plenty of work available. never a down time. Good pay.
would not recommend unless you live in the VA or NC area
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYApril 3, 2014
I was hired under false pretenses and was not compensated as agreed upon at offer of employment.
Repeated 'promises' to staff and drivers broken, not followed through on.
Poor supervision of drivers in the Latham area led to loss of contracts Overall very poor work atmosphere.
Unless you live in the VA or NC area where the corporate offices are located I would not recommend working for this company.
Cons
benefits, management
Young company with a lot of room to improve.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHMarch 15, 2014
Forklift duties at the beginning of the day made for a low stress work environment, overall good things to say.
It's an ok job and I work with great people.
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Springdale, ARJanuary 25, 2014
I work hard moving trailers around all day long but I go home at the end of my shift. I don't live out on the road. It s a nice local job and I work with a bunch of great people, which is part of the reason I am still there.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Dead end job and nowhere to go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fleetmaster Express, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8