Flint Hills Resources Employee Reviews

Good Job
I&E Technician (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 19, 2017
The company give me a great chance to improve my skills an to improve in my craft. I would tell anyone who ask me that this is a great place to work at .
It,s work with team type atmosphere.
Instrument Control and Electrician (Current Employee) –  Shell Rock, IowaMay 21, 2017
It can be a challenging place to work as at any time the plant could go into an upset and it takes great care to make sure all systems are
maintained. Shift work 4 on and 4 off can be a good or bad depends on you desire.
Pros
Perfomanced based bonus rated twice a year good group of employees
Cons
Some times long hours when plant goes down
Learned a lot
Chemical Engineering Intern at Pine Bend Refinery (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNMay 17, 2017
As an intern, I was happy to be able to gain more experience doing chemical engineering work. I also enjoyed interacting with all the other engineers and operators at the refinery.
not a great place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 16, 2017
for the amount of work they expect they don't pay enough . go to a different company get the same pay for half the work . be ready to have a lot of enemys there. anyone at anytime will throw you under the bus
Pros
Cons
managment
Trouble with Priorities
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Menlo, IAMay 16, 2017
Very rough work/life balance. This is a very demanding job emotionally and when you are not at work you will still feel like you are just due to the nature of the daily life on the plant. They plan for things years in advance, but often get caught up in the day-to-day problems and let those govern how they react. They often push for projects even though there is no financial/reasonable proof said project needs to take place and will get very deep into planning before they make the decision to stop working on that project.

It feels like you are expected to be moving horizontally rather than vertically in terms on job advancement. Flint Hills is owned by Koch, so when speaking about changing positions they often speak about moving to another one of Koch's companies rather than moving up in your own. They have some pretty great values that I personally can very much agree with and in my experience the engineers are nice people. The operators did not follow nor did they care for the company culture/values, however.

Also, the plant is never comfortable to be in. It is either very hot everywhere or very hot inside and very cold outside and not the pleasant kind of cold either.
no work life balance
load out operator (Current Employee) –  Camilla, GAApril 21, 2017
Work life balance is just something the company says, it works well for management as they get every other Friday off and the hourly employees work 70 hours a week.
Pros
uniforms are provided
Cons
no time off
I E&A MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR and SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2017
Treat me fairly, keep me busy and challenge me. Hire capable people and have good benefits. Supervision at Houston Chemical Plant are top notch and capable. I have been treated very well.
Great Culture & Great People
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Camilla, GAApril 6, 2017
Unfortunately, the company finances are not in order which makes the job somewhat unstable. This company is a part of the KOCH empire and has a lot of potential, but for now the Biofuels and Ingredients department has to fix their vision and work on how the business is run.
Okay for a little while, gets old quick.
Systems Analyst/Automation Developer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67218April 2, 2017
FHR IT Does not adhere well to MBM. If you are a serious worker that gets things done and saves them money, good for you, but management won't care all that much. If you are a yes man and like to use buzzwords and talk about new technologies just enough to sound like you know what you are saying then will get very far in the company.
They like to say they hire the top talent, but from my experience most of the talent is barely mediocre.
Pros
a few good people, good health benefits
Cons
Poor Pay, poor vacation leave, poor options, poor management, etc.
Inspector for the FHR Renewables Group (Former Employee) –  Pelham, GAMarch 16, 2017
This is a great place to work. I have worked for KOCH for over 10 years. Good benefits and people. Great job experience. Recommend to anyone. Locations all over the world.
benefits
Good work environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, NE 68354March 9, 2017
Good place to work.keep busy, work alot of hours, pays very well,good benefits, alot of training programs, work with alot of heavy machinery and work with a team.
Pros
Pays very well
Cons
Work alot of hours and some weekends and holidays
Good money
Scaffold Builder (Former Employee) –  Nederland, TXMarch 5, 2017
Money was good. Safety was a top priority for all employees and contractors. Cannot say enough good things about their safety protocols in place, or the emphasis they put on it.
Poor
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairbank, IAMarch 1, 2017
Very low pay and low advancement for the job requirements and skills demanded. The job requires a four year Bachelor's degree but pays less than the jobs with no degree requirements.
Pros
Mandatory Overtime
Cons
Pay and Management is lacking
Fun place to work
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 19, 2017
Full of intelligent people to work with. Good leadership and helps with employment growth. Helpful team members. Good ethics and good people around the company.
Management is a joke, hire you for a job and stick you in another.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Menlo, IAFebruary 7, 2017
When I first started at the Menlo facility, I was hired on as a ops guy, when I got there they instantly moved me to material handling.(I went to school for operations) when I asked to be transferred back to operations(the Job I was hired for) they continued to ignore it. I eventually went to HR and the same thing was said. If you want to actually be an operator don't come to this facility, you will be put in material handling! The facility is ran by the buddy system, if your willing to suck up to your shift leads or managers then you will fit in great, if you show up to work everyday and work hard, you won't make it anywhere. This place is a joke, they expect you to work your tail off for nothing in return.
Pros
Not one thing
Cons
Zero pay raises, poor management, unsafe work environment, hire on false pretenses, Not real operations.
good environment
I/E Technician (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 31, 2017
good company with great employees and great pay. management is good but alot of micromanagement goes on. got a lot of training while employed at Flint Hills
Great Culture
Control System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 30, 2017
A lot of work and no work life balance. FHR uses MBM philosophy.

Great development and chance to go up in the ladder.

So much to do in the turnaround and loose life balance.
Pros
a lot of sites around the sites
Process Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Camilla, GAJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoy working for Flint hills and I have learned a lot in the few months I have been there. Safety has and will always be #1 and everyone treats you like family.
Solid Company, Good Benefits, Decent Work-Life Balance
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Arthur, IAJanuary 17, 2017
Pros: The resources and knowledge base of the company were awesome. I learned so much more than I expected during my time at FHR. Great benefits and better people. They continually challenge you to set high goals and give you the support you need to attain them. Great company values and leadership training.

Cons: Work/life balance was alright. There were a few times I was frustrated with the continuous manufacturing process demand, but other times my job was covered and I was able to take some time off. Environmental perspective was a little extreme at times, which made it difficult implementing some process improvements.
Productive and fun workplace
File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXDecember 20, 2016
Productive and fun workplace. Everyone will always offer a hand to help someone in need. Always a lively place to be. Never a dull moment around the offices.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flint Hills Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9