Flint Hills Resources Employee Reviews in United States

easy format
API Inspector (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXAugust 11, 2016
not to complicated to work with and its a easy format to work with. lay out is great. I believe if you are looking for a job and you really don't know how to get your resume out there this is the best place to put your resume.
Leadership and culture change is needed
Project Manager 3rd Party Safety (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJuly 6, 2016
There are good people there that only need good leadership and better communications to help improve their current situation,
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad leadership
private company
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 24, 2016
good place to work. Lots of initial training to acclimate to the way of doing business. The refinery is large and travel is burdensome.
Working the FHR assignment was definely a challenge due to the site's limited knowledge of polymer processing.
Extrusion and Pelletizing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMay 16, 2016
My job role at the FHR site as a consultant was to help resolve major operability problems. This required training the site's operating group, maintenance group and staff on basic reactor, extrusion and pelletizing practices. This training helped the different groups to recognize the importance of following good Standard Operating Procedures and adhering to good maintenance procedures and policies, which helped resolve the operability problems.

The hardest part of the job was mitigating the necessary changes to be made to help improve the operation.
Great Co-Workers, Great Company, Poor Work/Life Balance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 11, 2016
Very stable, well managed company. Exceptionally intense and demanding workload but expectations are usually pretty clear. High emphasis on safety and compliance. Very ethical. Lots of white males in positions of power so difficult to advance unless part of that genre. Once pegged, almost impossible to advance. Middle managers are let go on a more regular basis than I've seen at other companies. Negotiate up front because there's no mercy once on board.
Pros
9/80 schedule (every other Friday off), many bright/capable people, well managed, stable
Cons
grueling work load, nearly no ability to advance, white male dominant at mgr level
Over Management
Procurement Agent (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXMay 3, 2016
Great employee's to work with! Very high-level of micro-management & reporting.. No forecasting from leadership as to forthcoming developments. Sometimes overbearing due to high-levels of pressure.
A good place to work with a supportive environment
Vibration Analyst (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 11, 2016
A typical day would be to look at data collected in the last 24 hours and make repair calls for equipment in need of repair. Working with machine asset technicians a WO. is written, or more data to confirm the call was taken. Making vibration calls was by far the most enjoyable part of the job, the hardest part was educating management as to why I made the call. My co-workers were good employees and my immediate management respected and trusted my skills.
Good company
IT Site Leader/Infrastructure Leader (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 16, 2016
Centralization forced the reduction of the IT department from a size of 30+ employees down to a small support group of 5-7 people overall.
Pros
Goal oriented
Cons
reduction of IT jobs
Productive and enlightening environment. Very transparent organization.
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNFebruary 15, 2016
I have enjoyed working for Flint Hills Resources and would recommend the Pine Bend Refinery to anyone who enjoys learning technical skills, solving problems, and can stay afloat of an ever-dynamic market.
Pros
Lots of food distributed, Building improvements of late, Good relationships with surrounding communities, Down to earth people
Cons
3% match on 401k, Parking is horrendous, Union labor.
Best Job In Town
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Iowa Falls, IAFebruary 3, 2016
Overall had a great work experience. When I was hired, shifts we 12 hours, 7-7 and would flip between days or nights, 4 on 4 off.... However that changed and I am not 100% what it is now. But I know its still 12 hour shifts. Safety is huge! They really stress that. Stop, Think, Ask. I was never asked to do something I was uncomfortable with. There are 4 teams, each has its own dynamics. My shift was more into stay busy and time goes faster. Others had the idea of do as little as possible for the same pay. Management was all very professional, however most of the people I knew have also moved on, so I can not speak for who is there now. It is very hard work, it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There is no easy job, all positions require going outside at some point in the shift. I felt the pay was good, for not knowing anything when I started, however some of the others thought it should be more. But for the area, you aren't going to find much that pays more than FHR. Overtime is almost always available, and is really the only way to learn new areas. It is a male dominated workplace, which makes the drama pretty low... however some men still bring drama to the table! I enjoyed the time I worked there, and still highly recommend FHR as a place to work.
Pros
Pay, Overtime available, Safe work Practices, management
Cons
12 hour shifts, flipping between days and nights, retention rate, dont always get breaks or lunch
Professional Environment
project manager (Current Employee) –  Gulf CoastJanuary 13, 2016
Challenging and interesting work assignments. Excellent group of people to work with both professional and craft level. Very structured workflow processes.
Pros
Many opportunities for growth and development
Safety Is Priority
Elite Turnaround Specialist (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXDecember 16, 2015
I always enjoy working there, Flint Hills takes pride in what they do. I enjoy the structure, open communications, incidents are immediately addressed, everyone is welcomed. Elite is a great company to work for.
Pros
We all made decent money.
Cons
We cant leave the facility.
great pay
lab technician (Former Employee) –  Marysville, MIDecember 1, 2015
great pay, but the culture of the company requires people to give up too much sometimes. the 12 hours shifts were horrible for family life. the safety culture at the site was awesome.
Pros
psy
Cons
hours
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILNovember 9, 2015
Good place to work if your a union employee
Market based management style of management
Employees are great to work with
Overtime is there if wanted
Great company, great culture
Health & Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAOctober 23, 2015
Great company to work for - they really do care about their employees. Great co-workers that treat you like family. The culture is exactly as you would expect! They walk the talk of employee safety and health protections.
Pros
Culture, compressed work weeks
Cons
Work/life balance must be managed to keep in check
Consistent
HR Leader/General Maintenance Craft Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 20, 2015
A great place to work, employees are allowed to grow and develop. Management and employees are held accountable to do the right thing
Company has a safe work practice culture with worldwide opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marysville, MIOctober 12, 2015
Company has a safe work practice culture with worldwide opportunities

Management is always looking at innovation to continually keep up in the changing market.
Pros
worldwide opportunities, promotes from within
Cons
could have better healthcare benefits
Warehouse Work
Packaging Operator (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 29, 2015
Best warehouse job in Chicago-land area.
Learned how to utilize Automatic/Semi-automatic packaging equipment and fork lift operations.
Management is pretty solid.
Co-workers are supportive.
The hardest part of the job is the unpredictability of production, and logistical ordering office.
Benefits are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Health Risk (With the production of Trimellitic Anhydride)
ok job alot of work put on you
Ethanol Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Menlo, IASeptember 12, 2015
This is an ok outfit as long as you know what exactly you are getting into. A lot of unnessary work is put on you when others are able to help. not much teamwork.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not alot of teamwork
Always learning something new
Govind Development (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 22, 2015
Typical work day began with walking down P&I/D's through various units in the refinery. This was my first experience with a walk down type job where I was able to learn about verifying the function of all instruments. My relationship with management was good and I received a lot of praise for my work. I was able to work with and learn from very experienced personnel. The challenging part of this job was climbing vessels and towers and the most enjoyable part was learning something new everyday.
Pros
Good job benefits.
Cons
Job completion.