FLIR Systems Employee Reviews

Moved job to Pennsylvania
Reticle Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJune 23, 2016
They moved the department to Pennsylvania because it was "cheaper" to produce optics. They kept all the deadbeats, with intentions to layoff all the good workers, most of them left before the layoff. Management is out of control. I don't see how they haven't been in court more than they already have. Pay is super low, no advancement opportunities.
Pros
PTO
Cons
Healthcare, pay, managements
It's alright if you just want to stay where you are and never move up.
Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORMay 16, 2016
The balance between life and work is well tended to. time off is easily granted and personal time is available for certain circumstances. The pay is definitely not the best for this type/field of industry and the benefits are meager for a worldwide company like this. This job is secure as long as you show up and as for advancement, there really isn't any. There have been people here for 10 or 15 years that finally take a job in another area of the company but they don't move up. It's more of a move to the side. Management never really seems to talk to each other and so that's always fun to see them scramble around at the end of each quarter. All in all, it's okay if you just want to come to work, get a check and expect nothing more in your life.
Pros
onsite parking, newly remodeled cafe
Cons
Low moral, healthcare, management
Casual environment with emphasis on innovation and collaboration
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 17, 2015
There hasn't been a day I dreaded going to work (for work related issues). I get to see first hand the fruits of my labor and the positive impact my work has on our company. Management greatly respects my commitments outside of work and provides the flexibility to balance work and family.
FLIR Systems
Electro-Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDSeptember 23, 2015
I worked as an electro-mechanical assembler through Aerotek. Limited supervisory. The staffing agency was my reason for leaving to a higher paying job. They were hard to contact or get a straight answer out of and I was passed off to at least 4 different recruiters. Workforce was great. Working conditions not so much. Most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers.
Fun place to work
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Elkridge, MDAugust 21, 2015
Working at FLIR will train and give you experience working in multiple electronic and mechanical jobs. The overall work is not boring.
This is a scam
Customer Service Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Garyvile, LaJuly 9, 2015
They offered me a job at home , then requested my bank information, told me I had to purchase the product and they was sending the check to my home ITS A SCAM
Pros
DONT APPLY
Behind in the times
Production (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJuly 7, 2015
New facility that has it issues. Management mindset is still on a R&D and not on Manufacturing. They bring in manufacturing experienced people as contractors but don't listen to their ideas or experiences. If something is brought up by someone that is contrary to managements ideas then that person or people are shunned and some, if contractors, are forced out.

People there think problems will "just go away" with time and are not tackled as a group, there is no buy in.

Some managers go off the handle on some problems before first actually looking into the problem to find out all the details. Very reactionary.

Moral is low on floor with long hours, bad planning, and sweeping things under the rug or just telling clients "everything is fine."

There is too much of a divide between the production floor and the administration/management side.

No one works together, only worried about themselves or a small group and not the team as a whole. There is a lot of CYA because if something goes wrong its easier to blame then to actually figure out the problem or mistake.

And that's a bad way to work. The are many employees/contractors that do care and want the best, but the support is just not there. And that is very frustrating.

Advancement opportunities are slim. Promises are made but not kept. Focus is more on the negative then the positive.

The people that are there can be great, but something needs to change or that facility will fail.

I would advise anyone to really look at whats going on and make their own opinions if they chose to find employment
  more... at this facility. I know the rest of the company and its other facilities are a great place to work.  less
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours, Poor Planning, Management Disconnect
Finally, a decent place to work!
Administration (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville OregonJune 19, 2015
I have worked at a number of high-tech companies in the Portland area. Most of them have a lot of finance/cash issues, burnout, lay offs and the like. FLIR is a very financially sound stable company that has been around since the 1970's. It has very ethical leadership and the tenure of employees is very long. They rarely lay people off and most employee have good work/life balance with 8-5 schedules. The people are professional and friendly. The building itself is a bit dated and it would be nice to go through a remodel at some point. Everything else is good. I feel lucky to work here!
professional and fun place to work, very nice people to associate with
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJune 2, 2015
I really enjoyed working with FLIR. They were very professional and were very helpful when needed assistance. I was able to take professional courses when the classes became available to help with performing my job duties with more expertise. My co-workers were an exceptional group of people. One of the first people I met there I am still very close to. I really enjoyed my hours.
Flir
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, OregonApril 30, 2015
An okay place to work. It has a generous time-off program and can be flexible. It is a great place to develop. A typical day is getting in at 8:00 and working until 5:00. The management team is very good and accessible.
Good Place to Work with great benefits.
Inside/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 28, 2014
FLIR Systems is a great company to work for, and a solid company with a family attitude.
Pros
strong company
laidoff
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ellaville, GASeptember 22, 2014
small town minded men . nowhere to advance. I don't have anything else to say .laidoff
poor management
engineer (Former Employee) –  caAugust 25, 2014
Use you for your knowledge then get rid of you. Poor management, reviews based on if you are in the inner circle not what you accomplished.
wanna feel worthless then work here
production (Former Employee) –  stillwater okMay 15, 2014
You will be hired and trained. They will tell you that advancement is possible but that's a lie. You will work yourself to death abd they will ask for more from you. Nothing is good enough . You will be set up to fail and then they will get rid of you . Your voice will never be heard until its too late to stop a potential problem .
Pros
you save lives
Cons
long hours poor managment
Subject to Government changes to product and production schedule.
Production Manager/ Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDOctober 14, 2013
The FLIR corporation is a high technology company that is transitioning from prototype to manufacturing operations.
Pros
excellent personnel
Cons
unusual hours due to delivery and receiving schedules.
Summary of duties.
Maintenance, Shipping, Stock Room (Former Employee) –  North Billerica, MAJune 26, 2013
During summer of 2008, I would work two jobs throughout the day. In the morning, I would work with maintenance facilities department moving stuff, building cubicles, sweeping, and watering plants outside. In the afternoons, I would work in Theormography Shipping department sealing and receiving camera as well as delivering goods around the facility.

In 2009, I worked in the stock room collecting camera parts and delivering them in the manufacturing area.
Great place to work. Flir has been chosen as one of the top 100 companies to work for in Massachusetts
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE LEAD (Current Employee) –  North Billerica MADecember 12, 2012
I am proud to be a member of the Flir family. Work/Family balance is promoted here.
Great place to work. Autonomy to produce your way!
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 29, 2012
Great product and support from the entire organization. Technology is cutting edge and the product portfolio is constanly being upgraded to reflect changes in technology and customer needs/wants.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
advancement
Good atmosphere, Upper management attentive, understanding, and accessible
Electro/Mechanical Engineering Aid (Former Employee) –  North Billerica, MAAugust 26, 2011
Given the opportunity I would consider to be re-hired again.
Pros
thursdays meetings pizza and soft drinks