FLIR Systems Employee Reviews

Great company, hard to go anywhere even though there are extreme amounts of travel
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 3, 2017
I loved working for FLIR, it is a unique product, versatile company, and loved showing it off. The balance of changes and expectations was hard and stressful to meet. I traveled and worked long hours for inadequate pay. Great benefits and insurance, was able to experience new places. Wonderful people, but expectations and promises were not met like originally talked about and planned on.
Pros
Company car, credit card, computer, phone, etc...
Cons
Long hours, little room to move up, always changing procedures and info last minute.
Great place to work I plan on retiring here.
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 24, 2017
Not Leaving Flir only looking for part time job.
Pay is fair and hours are flexible.
Management is understanding and gives me the tools I need to succed at my job.
Very organized - good product
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJune 20, 2017
Fliir is a great place to work. They are well organized and the staff is extremely capable. The product line is fantastic. It's a large company that takes great care in their staff.
Pros
Great location, large company, stable.
Good place to work, but slow advancement
Manufacturing\Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKMay 14, 2017
FLIR is a good stable place to work, but is slow to recognize accomplishments and reward them with promotions. They have good benefits, but a little low on salary.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
slow advancement
very freindly place to work
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ellaville, GAFebruary 18, 2017
it is a fun place to work. every one is friendly and it is challenging on some days when you are working on a project. You will lean about people and how they handle them self while working with. I have also leaned that you can work with all kinds of people from all over the world being in customer support you travel a lot
Pros
travel alot
Cons
can be dirty at times
Nice place to work but no advancement
Detector Packaging Technician (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Goleta, CANovember 8, 2016
I was hired as a temp with "possible" permanency but didn't happen. The IR Detector packaging group is nice and diverse but once you're there long enough you'll see their quirks and faults. I was able to learn to run various machines which was very interesting and fulfilling at first but you can see that certain people favor doing certain things so eventually you'll be stuck doing only a few things.

Management favors the permanent employees but tries to be considerate and understanding to everyone. But if you don't/can't click with the group you're likely to be let go.

There really is no advancement from this position - All the techs have been working there for various amount of years. There are no benefits as a temp (at least through Vector) and the pay is mediocre. Flir does give reviews and incremental raises each year to their permanent employees, depending on how well the company is doing (bonuses are rare). Overall it was a nice learning experience to move on from.
Pros
Quarterly meetings with food, good coworkers
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, no benefits for temps
Moved job to Pennsylvania
Reticle Operator (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJune 23, 2016
They moved the department to Pennsylvania because it was "cheaper" to produce optics. They kept all the deadbeats, with intentions to layoff all the good workers, most of them left before the layoff. Management is out of control. I don't see how they haven't been in court more than they already have. Pay is super low, no advancement opportunities.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Healthcare, pay, managements
Innovative and productive environment to work
Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJune 17, 2016
Great place to learn about homeland security and apply electro-mechanical skills! Lots of travel if desired and great community worldwide to interface with. The corporate environment is welcoming to all the new businesses acquired through M&A. Unfortunately the leadership is close minded about offering career advancement.

Hardest part of the job is not getting to do creative work because the company is a product company that builds to print and improves existing product through process.

Best part of the job is the corporate environment and collaboration across multiple sites. Lots of talented and smart people work there and there are many opportunities to rely on a large team of people.

Seriously, it is a great place to work. Great benefits and good pay.
Pros
Great atmosphere and great products to work on
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunity
It's alright if you just want to stay where you are and never move up.
Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORMay 16, 2016
The balance between life and work is well tended to. time off is easily granted and personal time is available for certain circumstances. The pay is definitely not the best for this type/field of industry and the benefits are meager for a worldwide company like this. This job is secure as long as you show up and as for advancement, there really isn't any. There have been people here for 10 or 15 years that finally take a job in another area of the company but they don't move up. It's more of a move to the side. Management never really seems to talk to each other and so that's always fun to see them scramble around at the end of each quarter. All in all, it's okay if you just want to come to work, get a check and expect nothing more in your life.
Pros
onsite parking, newly remodeled cafe
Cons
Low moral, healthcare, management
Casual environment with emphasis on innovation and collaboration
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bozeman, MTNovember 17, 2015
There hasn't been a day I dreaded going to work (for work related issues). I get to see first hand the fruits of my labor and the positive impact my work has on our company. Management greatly respects my commitments outside of work and provides the flexibility to balance work and family.
FLIR Systems
Electro-Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDSeptember 23, 2015
I worked as an electro-mechanical assembler through Aerotek. Limited supervisory. The staffing agency was my reason for leaving to a higher paying job. They were hard to contact or get a straight answer out of and I was passed off to at least 4 different recruiters. Workforce was great. Working conditions not so much. Most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers.
Fun place to work
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Elkridge, MDAugust 21, 2015
Working at FLIR will train and give you experience working in multiple electronic and mechanical jobs. The overall work is not boring.
This is a scam
Customer Service Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Garyvile, LaJuly 9, 2015
They offered me a job at home , then requested my bank information, told me I had to purchase the product and they was sending the check to my home ITS A SCAM
Pros
Dont apply
Behind in the times
Production (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJuly 7, 2015
New facility that has it issues. Management mindset is still on a R&D and not on Manufacturing. They bring in manufacturing experienced people as contractors but don't listen to their ideas or experiences. If something is brought up by someone that is contrary to managements ideas then that person or people are shunned and some, if contractors, are forced out.

People there think problems will "just go away" with time and are not tackled as a group, there is no buy in.

Some managers go off the handle on some problems before first actually looking into the problem to find out all the details. Very reactionary.

Moral is low on floor with long hours, bad planning, and sweeping things under the rug or just telling clients "everything is fine."

There is too much of a divide between the production floor and the administration/management side.

No one works together, only worried about themselves or a small group and not the team as a whole. There is a lot of CYA because if something goes wrong its easier to blame then to actually figure out the problem or mistake.

And that's a bad way to work. The are many employees/contractors that do care and want the best, but the support is just not there. And that is very frustrating.

Advancement opportunities are slim. Promises are made but not kept. Focus is more on the negative then the positive.

The people that are there can be great, but something needs to change or that facility will fail.

I would advise anyone to really look at whats going on and make their own opinions if they chose to find employment
  more... at this facility. I know the rest of the company and its other facilities are a great place to work.  less
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours, Poor Planning, Management Disconnect
Finally, a decent place to work!
Administration (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville OregonJune 19, 2015
I have worked at a number of high-tech companies in the Portland area. Most of them have a lot of finance/cash issues, burnout, lay offs and the like. FLIR is a very financially sound stable company that has been around since the 1970's. It has very ethical leadership and the tenure of employees is very long. They rarely lay people off and most employee have good work/life balance with 8-5 schedules. The people are professional and friendly. The building itself is a bit dated and it would be nice to go through a remodel at some point. Everything else is good. I feel lucky to work here!
professional and fun place to work, very nice people to associate with
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJune 2, 2015
I really enjoyed working with FLIR. They were very professional and were very helpful when needed assistance. I was able to take professional courses when the classes became available to help with performing my job duties with more expertise. My co-workers were an exceptional group of people. One of the first people I met there I am still very close to. I really enjoyed my hours.
Flir
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, OregonApril 30, 2015
An okay place to work. It has a generous time-off program and can be flexible. It is a great place to develop. A typical day is getting in at 8:00 and working until 5:00. The management team is very good and accessible.
Good Place to Work with great benefits.
Inside/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 28, 2014
FLIR Systems is a great company to work for, and a solid company with a family attitude.
Pros
Strong Company
laidoff
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ellaville, GASeptember 22, 2014
small town minded men . nowhere to advance. I don't have anything else to say .laidoff
poor management
engineer (Former Employee) –  caAugust 25, 2014
Use you for your knowledge then get rid of you. Poor management, reviews based on if you are in the inner circle not what you accomplished.