Florida A&M University Employee Reviews

Work first fun later
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 24, 2016
A typical day at work is busy enjoyable. I learn new things every day with being an office assistance. Management is great n understand about anything.
A dorm room where we looked after residents
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 23, 2016
In total their was eight Resident Assistants and we all had our own floor where we looked after our residents. Throughout the day we would all take on desk shifts where we would sit, do paper work, and watch all who would come in and out of the building. We also put on programs for our residents to make them feel more at home.
Awesoe place to work!
Head Cashier/Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 18, 2016
Enjoyed my time working there. Met alot of great people. Work was pleasant for the most part. The students were all very nice.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
Very productive university environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 30, 2016
In this field you are able to utilize skills learned through education and every day life necessities. It gives you great flexibility from meetings, work hours, and staff.
Pros
Job setting
Cons
Meetings
It could have been better under the right administration
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 27, 2016
I did and learned a lot but I think I would have done a lot more research had our funding not have to go through administration.
Pros
Choose your advisor carefully. I had a better research adviser than most of my cohort
Cons
inconsistent pay, terrible administration, slow logistics
Productive workplace that allows for balance of work and education
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 25, 2016
Working for Florida A&M University was a great experience. I was afforded the opportunity to learn the balance of work and education as well as the advancements that the Office of Student Activities offered. You get the ability to really be involved in the school and it makes each day towards education worth while.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Not permanent
Event Depart.
Event Coordinator/ Ops work studuty (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 21, 2016
It's was great, all my coworker was very respectful. It was a great vide environment, we all work together as a team.
Productive and a great experience
FAMU English Department - Writing Coach (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 6, 2016
Provided a helping hand, children were a pleasure to work with. Lots of laughter and fun but work was in order.
Keeping paper work in order was great to do so we could stay organized.
Traning
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 2, 2016
The job provides great training for students and various opportunities to expands ones knowledge. Great education environment for many students.
Intramural Sports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 23, 2016
• Conducted Intramural Sports events and games.
• Set up and took down the fields, courts, and equipment for events and games.
• Refereed and kept score during games for the community, college students, and young professionals.
• Contact teams members, confirmed team attendance, and collected monetary dues.
• Designed and implemented new programs to meet the needs of the community and student body.
• Staff Member for ACIS (American Collegiate Intramural Sports.
• Staff Member for NIRSA (National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association): Leader in Collegiate Recreation
Pros
good intramural staff
Cons
other staff
Relaxed yet very productive environment.
Student Assistant/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 30, 2016
The typical day at work was enjoyable and productive. I learned how to effectively manage and work with multiple customers or issues at one time. The hardest part of the job was trying to manage my school and personal life with the hours I needed to complete at work. The most enjoyable part of the job was my supervisor was very understanding and my hours were flexible with my class and exam schedules.
Great learning place and fun
IT Problem solver (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 14, 2016
a fun and learning environment in which you learn IT skills and coding and help the customers out there. The co-workers were a blast and always eager to teach and help. Management was he best because everything was done in a fun professional manner
Pros
long lunches, conversation with clients
Great socialable work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 4, 2016
While being in the positions I was in at Florida A&M University, the staff exemplified great communication skills, at lovable environment, and a great connection. There never seemed to be a dull moment in the departments where I was working. I believe Florida A&M University will satisfy the needs or every individual, due to the togetherness of the community.
Pros
Atmosphere
Great place to perform research
Summer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 13, 2016
This was a great environment to work in. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I learned a lot from being around and interacting with these people.
educative opportunity
Laboratory and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 12, 2016
Great opportunity to explore scientific experiments and be a part of something that will help improve quality of lives of patients
Very unique experience:- daily tasks involve autoclaving lab equipments for different experiments. clean and feed cells. Do cell counts
Pros
educative
Independent research project
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 30, 2015
Developed mockup screens and a prototype for the Steele-Collins Charter School website.

Researched and gained working knowledge of various content management systems.

Participated in weekly development meetings to brainstorm and to ensure project goals were met.
fun and productive working environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 18, 2015
one of the best jobs i have ever had, a typical day for me at work was filled with laughter, jokes, and fun working people. this job was a very fast paced job with lots to do but we knew how to help each other out and take initiative and make it fun so we wont be stressed.
Pros
family oriented, caring, fast advancment
Great Institution; however experiencing some Leadership Issues
Procurement, Compliance, Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 9, 2015
FAMU is one of the largest Historically Black Institutions with qualified professors that care about student progression, persistence and graduation attainment.

FAMU has undergone deliberate and drastic changes in its Leadership Team. Each team brings different perspectives but seem to forget the people (mortar and clay) that keeps the university at a modest level of excellence. Thus moral is down

Current Leadership Team seemingly overpaid, and does not respect the culture o fFAMU as a HBCU, thus leadership is seemingly ineffective.

Academics is awesome, Students are committed
Often professional jealousy is problematic and limits team synergy in many departments.

However, FAMU is a great place to work and learn. Students are sought after my many of the Fortune 100 companies.

FAMU continues to be a great institution of Higher Learning, if leadership commits to sharpen one's interpersonal skills, make some paradigm shifts at a constructive pace, and limit terminating good people without cause or discussion, the school will continue to strive and be recognized as a institution that cares about its employees who are not at the leadership lever,then FAMU will continue to experience growth and the leader of graduating the most black students.
Pros
Great, Professors, Students and Administrators
Cons
Ineffective Leadership Team
productive fun work place and very educational
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 31, 2015
Most of my work was individual work that was done by me in a laboratory. The work environment was great as there was students as well as teachers at your disposal in the case you might need help with something.
Pros
Your learn a great deal doing research
Cons
The work is nonstop
love my job there meet new people and helps me futher my knowlge about computher networking and how to solve problems.
Library System Operations Tech (Current Employee) –  tallahassee floridaJuly 22, 2015
I 'm still working there just for my contract to be renewed that i think shouldn't take as long as it does. But to be able to better myself in the field i went to school for. It's great for helping me learn about every day problems that could and do happen in my line of work. How to to help others who are upset or have crunch time problems with programs.
Pros
it's great place to work and the pleople i work with are fun and helpful.
Cons
the waiting on my contract to be renwed every year they do it fast sometimes and slow others.

4.2