Florida Cancer Specialists and Research Institute

Florida Cancer Specialists and Research Institute Employee Reviews

Don't bother!
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 16, 2018
Interviewed with them for an open position. Never heard from them about the position even though I made serval calls to inquire. I finally found out from someone who works there, they decided not to hire for the position. Would be nice if they had some professionalism and let people know.
Empty promises
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLDecember 7, 2017
When I was hired, FCS management knew that my phlebotomy skills were weak and understood that I had no experience in the field of oncology. So to my surprise they hired me anyway through agency. There was a lot to learn and the nurse to patient ratio on most days was ridiculous. I was told that I would get 3 to 4 weeks training and after a week I started to feel confident that I would be ready. On my 6th day I was completely and accurately filling out all computer work, navigating my way through patient charts, successfully accessing ports, starting IV, drawing blood, hanging IV medication. On days 7 and 8, I was doing all of these tasks mostly unsupervised which gave me a feeling of confidence. Surely my preceptor wouldn't let me do these tasks unsupervised if she was not confident in my skills...right? After being told I would receive upward to 4 weeks training, on day 8 after I got home, I received a phone call saying the FCS no longer needed my services with no explanation at all. They couldn't even tell me face to face. Only 8 days! I turned down 2 jobs to take this one because I felt it was the best fit for me. I was wrong. I was never late, never absent and I did everything asked of me and then some. I made great strides in only 8 days and was very upset. 2 weeks before Christmas! I played things over and over in my head trying to make sense of what had happened. There is no rhyme nor reason. I'm sure I will never know. Their loss for sure. I am loyal, trustworthy and take my job very serious and am not afraid of hard work. What a terrible experience!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Insufficient training, cut throat, power trips, no parking, extremely short lunch.
Great Company
Patient Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lecanto, FLNovember 23, 2017
I enjoyed my time at FCS until I transferred to LCT. The patients are wonderful and so are most of the employees. I made some lifelong friends through FCS.
Upper Management deplorable
PSS (Former Employee) –  Region 1November 19, 2017
Unless you are a butt kisser, not the place to work. Doctors are great but Upper Management lead by intimidation. Love to write up employees. Don't ever challenge you will loose. HR never support the employees.
Pros
Great doctors
Cons
Upper Management show their power
Chaotic, poor management
RN (Current Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLNovember 18, 2017
Very rewarding working with these patients. But long hours, not enough help.
Poor management. Departments do not work well together.
I've enjoyed a great career, but not enjoyed the dysfunction at FCS.
Watched as if not working
Care Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  CorporateNovember 17, 2017
In the department of the company I work, some members believe they are better than the rest of the members of the team. Started out feeling wonderful, but now am looking to transfer to a different department or completely branch out into a new field.
Pros
Head leader, very understanding
Cons
Team lead, not letting people do their job, picking at everything, sometimes bad attitude
Rewarding
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  SWFLNovember 10, 2017
Not for slackers. More work expected with less than reasonable training. Policy & procedure drive. It’s a business. Patients are not number one. Policies are. Management is terrible. Expectations are to cash in your PTO not use it.
Pros
Giving compassionate care to patients truly in need
Cons
Poorly managed, lack of reasonable training, cut throat-line managers pockets with bonus but none for the hard workers that earned it.
Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 21, 2017
I've worked at FCS 10 years now and it's a great place to work. Everybody has there opinions and bad experience does not apply to the entire company. Hard work recognized.
Pros
Lots of events
Manager extremly disrespectful with staff, volunteers and patients
Therapist (Former Employee) –  The Villages, FLSeptember 17, 2017
Extremly noisy, rude, low class manager, micromanaging and often being rude with therapists and other staff, including old volunteers, in front of patients.
Cons
High staff turnover
FCS is a great company!
RN (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 29, 2017
Don't believe the negative reviews here.

I have been a nurse with Florida Cancer Specialists for over 15 years, in that time cancer treatments have significantly changed (for the better) and working at FCS, I have had the opportunity to learn and provide patients with the newest therapies available. I came to FCS for life balance, I was tired of working weekends and holidays - and that is what I found.

This company has had substantial growth with clinics throughout the state. As a result, the people that work at FCS must enjoy a fast-paced environment, show compassion for sometimes very ill patients, and present themselves as professionals at all times. This company provides fair pay and benefits considering the current challenges in healthcare.
Pros
No weekend/holiday work, fun co-workers
Cons
Fast paced - seldom a slow day
FCS: An excellent company
Oncology Research Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 3, 2017
Only this week did I resign from FCS and it's only because I'm moving out of state. I am startled at the negative reviews of FCS, as this is nothing like what I experienced! My manager was excellent and always supportive. My team (direct reports) were second to none and the research staff that I worked with were professional, kind, intelligent, experienced and cared for their patients above all else.

The commitment to community oncology is exemplified at Florida Cancer Specialists!
Pros
Supportive manager, compassionate co-workers and a visionary executive leadership.
Cons
Pay is slightly below average, but close to being on par. However, they just made an adjustment in this area within the past few weeks.
Worst company
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLJuly 31, 2017
This was by far the worse company I have ever worked for !
Management is runned by butt kissers .
You love up in the company by gossiping.
No team players at all .
Over worked under paid !
Stay far away from this company
Just Pass
PSS (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJuly 21, 2017
Very clicky office staff. No formal training/onboarding. Office manager is brusk at best. The benefits that they outline in orientation are great, if you can stand the work environment; when they say "fast-paced" what they mean is understaffed to adequately serve the number of patients they serve. Just a sad, negative environment.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Lack of Training; hostile management; disrespectful treatment from doctors.
Awful place to work !!
Tech (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 18, 2017
constantly driving all over the state to work, if you have to work on a mobile. Always changing the distance when traveling to a job and then making your "home base" so far away that you never get reimbursed for mileage/gas or tolls. No balance between work and family. Management could care less about you. no job incentives, awful working conditions..ie Working in torrential rain storms with no canopies to protect you or the patient from all the rain.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
travel reimburtments, work/family balance
One word.. Pass
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 14, 2017
The typical day at Florida Cancer usually includes countless and unnecessary blood draws on cancer pt's. The patients are treated poorly and you will be too. This place treats its patients like cattle and it's employees about the same. While working there I witnessed several infantile tantrums by doctors and the district manager. The district manager has nothing more than an LPN and it shows. The management is seriously scary here. If offered a position please run in the opposite direction. They hire a lot of temps and for good reason. They can't keep people in the door. It's a wonder they even hire in house anymore.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes.
Cons
pretty much everything else
Not a good place to work
Claims Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 7, 2017
From the low pay/low raises to the terrible management staff, this place is a mess. I always felt as though no matter how much I did or how hard I worked it was just never good enough. I definitely would not recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Everything else
Busy, Hard Work Environment
Patient Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 18, 2016
A typical day here would include checking in an average of 200 patients while balancing incoming phone calls and the demands of the 5 Doctors who we worked with. The team of 5 girls were trained in 4 different positions: check in, check out, chart preparation, and new patients chart preparation. Usually each month we rotated for a fair share of the work. We made appointments for the patients in house and for outpatient procedures and radiology. It could be tough some days working with all women, especially the gossip. The Doctors were not always easy to work with either. But working with the patients made it all worthwhile. I would say that 90% of them were the sweetest people I have ever met, despite being there for a life threatening disease. I made connections with many of the patients and many of them were lost to the horrible disease. It was so gratifying when the treatments did work and we would celebrate the last day of treatment of appointment in the office. I was not fond of upper management. I was granted the position of Team Lead at a sister office but was not transferred even after waiting for four months. However, after putting in my notice the Regional Manager approached me and offered a job working at the Corporate Office because she did not want to lose me and my talent within the company. I was very grateful for this opportunity and stayed there for my last months before moving out of the country.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
High paced, Occasionally yelled at by Doctors.
It is an ok company to work for.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 30, 2015
Overall good company . I get good compensation. I love my patients. I would like for it to be more compassion for the employees that have children

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Cancer Specialists and Research Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4