Florida Department of Health Employee Reviews

Great place
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLAugust 15, 2017
Great atmosphere and employee engagement. Only downfall is grant funded programs which do not give you income security. Benefits are the best i've ever had.
Family and community oriented with an emphasis on excellence
Senior RN (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLAugust 11, 2017
On a typical day there would be 3-5 nurses providing care to family planning and maternity patients, with a smattering of STD's and Vaccinations. Loved having a one hour lunch to break up the 8-5 day.
Our Nursing Supervisor was extremely dedicated and supportive of all of the staff. Culturally, the staff and patients were very diverse and many of the patients and staff moved here from other countries. I learned more about teaching my patients about their health than any other job I've had. Hardest part??? Going to the hospital to visit parents of fetal demise, I would say was the hardest part. But, my co-workers were like family, and still are!
Healthy work environment
Medical Records Abstractor (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLAugust 6, 2017
When I first started this job, the department was very welcoming and diverse. We all worked together as a team on several Projects. Although I was a state employee, I was stationed at the local health department at Miami-Dade while my supervisors were in Tallahassee. That Is an ongoing challenge.
Pros
Flexible hours, work from home, travel, independent
Cons
far from supervisors, long approval processes
Wonderful clinical manager
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 3, 2017
Working in the dental department was great. We had a great staff, the manager was like family and we all mostly got along. The patients were difficult at times, but overall it was a rewarding career.
Benefits
Cons
No pay raises
Great!
Senior Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 30, 2017
Working for the department of health is an amazing experience great benefits for myself and family. But no yearly raises is the only down side. Other than that wonderful.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No raises, lives change and people like myself need more composition
Be Headstrong!
Medical Disability Examiner (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 28, 2017
Job is very demanding, very high paced, and it involves a lot of time management. It is a job that is highly stressful. However it is rewarding because you get to help people that need help.

You do get some pretty good benefits and compensation is not bad, but it could be a little better.
Management Needs Work
Registered Nurse - Family Planning Department (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 28, 2017
I enjoyed the clients that I served but the management needs work. The management does not want your opinion when you are the one doing the job. They downsized the department and the RNs that were left took on the jobs that were deleted without additional pay. They tell you when you can take your vacation and what days. I thought that was the purpose of a vacation. But because of the downsizing it put additional stress on the individuals that took on the additional jobs..
Pros
You have retirement after 8 years
Cons
Management needs improvement
Great
Health Support Technician (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 24, 2017
A Great place to work...fast paced. Your patients are non stop. Patients here are like family. The patients here are nice sometimes the wait is long, but they always say it well worth the wait
Wonderful Opportunity
Investigation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 22, 2017
The job is challenging and demanding. The endless striving for excellence is from the top down. Staff focus on customer centered service. The position is underpaid. The opportunity for growth and promotability is scarce.
Florida Department of Health
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AIDE (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 16, 2017
Great organization offering amazing benefits including free graduate education, however, compensation and organizational structure are not what I am looking for. I am limited in my success do to limited resources and man power. I have also found it is easy to get caught up in doing extra work while lacking fair compensation.
benefits
Cons
lack of fair compensation

Want to know more about Florida Department of Health?

Ask a question
Human Service Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLJuly 12, 2017
Not much room for advancement however benefits are great. I enjoy working there, supervisors can be great. They work with you providing flexibility when family emergencies arise.
productive and hard working
Human Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLJuly 10, 2017
very little team work, good recognitions good coordination in activities.Good place to work, if your a supportive and compassionate person.Every year for christmas theres activitie and gift for the patient children.good pay, vacation pay and sick pay.
Fast paced and Efficiency at the work site
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 9, 2017
A typical day at work was very productive. For being my first real job, I learned more about my Spanish speaking language by reading, listening and understanding others that don't speak the same dialect over the phone, email or in person as Interpreter. I became familiar not only with the Health care setting as a Front desk clerk but also as an Interpreter in clinic. Also, dealing with a diverse population, I was prepared to be understanding, patient and professional to those that weren't. I learned about health care coding, policies, and programs. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting others and learning about health the whole way through. On the other hand, sometimes it became overwhelming with complaints, rude customers, and sometimes work overload. I enjoyed taking additional responsibilities than my own whenever my work was done or to help others.
Pros
Benefits such as Health Insurance, Retirement, Dental insurance, Paid Holidays, Raises
Cons
Short breaks
Professional
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2017
Working at The Florida Department of Health was a nice experience. I do not mind working alone, so was able to complete my tasks in a timely manner with minimal distractions.
Challenging, Yet Rewarding
Health Services Representative (40hrs/week) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 5, 2017
This job requires you to be very flexible. The best part of the job was making sure your patients were taken care of. I enjoyed the meetings and staff. We were all a big family. The hardest part of the job is dealing tough patients.
Difference Makers
Deputy Secretary of Administration (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 3, 2017
The DOH team strive daily to make a difference. Leadership continues to try to build a culture of decision makers and leaders. Counties, Programs and Administration seem to work well together.
Pros
Cons
State Government Bureaucracy
Productive and fun
Nutrition Educator & Wellness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 3, 2017
Great management team and wonderful work environment. I love working with the clients and meeting new people. Great benefits but pay is a little too low
retail management, marketing strategies, retail store operation
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lake City, FLJune 30, 2017
I have more than 10 years experienced working as a retail associate and in retail management. I have extensive knowledge in retail management, marketing strategies, retail store operation and store policies. I have experience in cashiering, connecting with customer, maintaining high value customer service skills, reliable, friendly and hard working.
very culturally oriented
Registered Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 28, 2017
Nice place to work. works well if you have a family and need 8-5 working hours. People are friendly. Not much room for advancement.
Lots of new and seasoned nurses working there.
Good opportunity
Assistant General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 18, 2017
Good opportunity to develop administrative law skills and have a healthy work-life balance. A lot of bureaucracy and hoops to jump through at times. Better pay than some other state jobs.