Florida Department of Juvenile Justice

Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Employee Reviews

Just for experience then Get out
Juvenile Justice Detention Officer I (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: you get a family
Cons: no support for regional office
ups and downs but some really good experience to gain will mold you for your future. Time to move on and start a new life. I survived.
Forced overtime, high turnover, mistrust among co-workers
Detention Care Worker II (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: overtime pay was given on seperate paycheck so bi-weekly pay was actually weekly pay
Cons: exhaustingly long hours and frequent forced overtime
Sign in, hoping that your co-workers are also coming to work, exchange your personal set of keys for unit keys, report to your mod, count the inmates, take the kids out as a group for meals, get the kids through shower time, pass out snacks, do laundry, perform ten minute room checks, and hope your relief shows up so that you can go home at the end of your scheduled shift.

Turnover was so high in management that I can't really say. They generally stayed in their office away from the mods except for occasional rounding.

Co-workers- Mostly burnt out from too many 16 hour shifts. There were always rumors that several staff partied with inmates outside of work. I was hired in a group of 12 hires. Two new hires quit during the tour of the facility and 8 others quit within the first 2 weeks of work. Overall turnover rate was somewhere in the vicinity of 90%.

The hardest part of the job was never knowing if your relief will show up or not and having to work many, many overtime shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job- It wasn't very enjoyable.
Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee), Orlando, FLSeptember 8, 2014
This is an ok company to work for. You gain much experience and knowledge.
Secure Detention Facility
Juvenile Detention Officer Supervisor (Former Employee), Bradenton, FLJune 26, 2014
Prove safety and Security to incarcerated juveniles. Supervised a staff of 15 and made sure daily operations run smoothly
Supportive environment where the health and wellness of at-risk children and familes came first.
Government Operations Consultnat (Current Employee), TallahasseeFebruary 27, 2014
Positive and progressive state department catering to the needs of the community.
I enjoyed assisting Juvenile Delinquents to be successfully terminated from probation supervision.
Senior Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee), West Palm Beach, FLOctober 6, 2013
A typical day at work is very busy. I enjoyed assisting Juvenile delinquents in completing court ordered sanctions. Prepared reports for court proceedings, complete violation of probation, progress report and termination orders. Utilize my knowledge to improve work processes and create effective teamwork.
Hard work environment
Detention Officer (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 2, 2013
Pros: great pay
Cons: emotionally stressful
Great place to build a foundation in law enforcement and reach out to the children
Working at Florida Dept. Of Juvenile Justice
Probation Officer (Former Employee), Sanford, FLJuly 16, 2012
Pros: working in the sun shine state
Cons: behind time on dealing with juvenile offenders
This agency was far behind time when dealing with juvenile offenders. I left the department in 1998 and their services were like that in 1978. One can not evaluate a juvenile ffender by using a point system. There were several juvenile offenders with at least 3 or 4 volumes folders and the point system used by the department stated that these offenders should not be incarerated but put on the home monitoring system and no social service for the family.
Great working environment.
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLJune 25, 2012
Job Security/Advancement. It's a great place to work if you have the patience to work with juveniles. Great staff and management. My experience from working in the adult jails was an great key essentials to the department. Enjoyable part of the job was working with the youths and the hardest part was the youth going through the court system.
fun place to work and great people to work with
Senior Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 31, 2012
Pros: volunteer overtime opportunities, chance of advancement
Cons: change in policies that were not officer friendly
Maintain accountability for the offenders and maintain accurate reports. I learned to be a better listener, to be more aware of my surroundings, objective and team oriented. Management constantly provided advise on how to consistently be a better and more observant officer. My co-workers were team players and we had each other's best interest at heart. My co-workers were very encouraging and knowledgable. The hardest part of my job was the unexpected mandatory overtime and may end up working a 16 hour day if some called in sick. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was having overtime available if i need extra money and working with some great individuals.