Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Employee Reviews

Satisfied
Detention Officer II (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLOctober 5, 2015
Great opportunity learning new skills in a correction facility type setting. Can be stressful if you allow it to be. Great career advancement opportunity. Job security.
Each department varies
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee FLJuly 22, 2015
The position that I held was great, the hours were a typical 8-5. The company as a whole is a pleasure to work with. However, the management I worked under were very unprofessional when it came to work related and personal issues. When I first started I loved working there, but after some time there was continuous drama within the department that had nothing to do with work. You could be a great employee but if you're not liked for any other reason then your days will quickly become dreadful.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Poor Management, unfair treatment
great job , good hours , and a very good learning experience
Juvenile correctional officer (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJuly 10, 2015
observing Youth while preventing violence, provide vocational counseling , teaching youth right from wrong. teaching them values and principles so they can learn and not come to the detention center again in the future
Good
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 3, 2015
Overall I enjoyed my experience here. I liked my co-workers and learned a lot. The interaction with the court system and law enforcement prepares you for a career in the legal system.
great place to work... if you can deal with at-risk kids.
Shift Commander/Instructor/FTO (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 28, 2015
Overall good job, with the potential to be a great career. The work is not to hard, and if you are a peoples person, you will excel.
Pros
easy work
Cons
not enough money for the work
Just for experience then Get out
Juvenile Justice Detention Officer I (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 30, 2015
ups and downs but some really good experience to gain will mold you for your future. Time to move on and start a new life. I survived.
Pros
you get a family
Cons
no support for regional office
Forced overtime, high turnover, mistrust among co-workers
Detention Care Worker II (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 4, 2015
Sign in, hoping that your co-workers are also coming to work, exchange your personal set of keys for unit keys, report to your mod, count the inmates, take the kids out as a group for meals, get the kids through shower time, pass out snacks, do laundry, perform ten minute room checks, and hope your relief shows up so that you can go home at the end of your scheduled shift.

Turnover was so high in management that I can't really say. They generally stayed in their office away from the mods except for occasional rounding.

Co-workers- Mostly burnt out from too many 16 hour shifts. There were always rumors that several staff partied with inmates outside of work. I was hired in a group of 12 hires. Two new hires quit during the tour of the facility and 8 others quit within the first 2 weeks of work. Overall turnover rate was somewhere in the vicinity of 90%.

The hardest part of the job was never knowing if your relief will show up or not and having to work many, many overtime shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job- It wasn't very enjoyable.
Pros
overtime pay was given on seperate paycheck so bi-weekly pay was actually weekly pay
Cons
exhaustingly long hours and frequent forced overtime
Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 8, 2014
This is an ok company to work for. You gain much experience and knowledge.
Secure Detention Facility
Juvenile Detention Officer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 26, 2014
Prove safety and Security to incarcerated juveniles. Supervised a staff of 15 and made sure daily operations run smoothly
Supportive environment where the health and wellness of at-risk children and familes came first.
Government Operations Consultnat (Current Employee) –  TallahasseeFebruary 27, 2014
Positive and progressive state department catering to the needs of the community.

Want to know more about Florida Department of Juvenile Justice?

Ask a question
I enjoyed assisting Juvenile Delinquents to be successfully terminated from probation supervision.
Senior Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 6, 2013
A typical day at work is very busy. I enjoyed assisting Juvenile delinquents in completing court ordered sanctions. Prepared reports for court proceedings, complete violation of probation, progress report and termination orders. Utilize my knowledge to improve work processes and create effective teamwork.
Hard work environment
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 2, 2013
Great place to build a foundation in law enforcement and reach out to the children
Pros
great pay
Cons
emotionally stressful
Working at Florida Dept. Of Juvenile Justice
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJuly 16, 2012
This agency was far behind time when dealing with juvenile offenders. I left the department in 1998 and their services were like that in 1978. One can not evaluate a juvenile ffender by using a point system. There were several juvenile offenders with at least 3 or 4 volumes folders and the point system used by the department stated that these offenders should not be incarerated but put on the home monitoring system and no social service for the family.
Pros
working in the sun shine state
Cons
behind time on dealing with juvenile offenders
Great working environment.
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 25, 2012
Job Security/Advancement. It's a great place to work if you have the patience to work with juveniles. Great staff and management. My experience from working in the adult jails was an great key essentials to the department. Enjoyable part of the job was working with the youths and the hardest part was the youth going through the court system.
fun place to work and great people to work with
Senior Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 31, 2012
Maintain accountability for the offenders and maintain accurate reports. I learned to be a better listener, to be more aware of my surroundings, objective and team oriented. Management constantly provided advise on how to consistently be a better and more observant officer. My co-workers were team players and we had each other's best interest at heart. My co-workers were very encouraging and knowledgable. The hardest part of my job was the unexpected mandatory overtime and may end up working a 16 hour day if some called in sick. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was having overtime available if i need extra money and working with some great individuals.
Pros
volunteer overtime opportunities, chance of advancement
Cons
change in policies that were not officer friendly