Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Employee Reviews

Stressful and Eventful Workplace
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Lauderdale Lakes, FLNovember 20, 2017
Department of Juvenile Justice was a pretty intense place to work. The caseload was overwhelming at times so the amount of attention a case may need was almost impossible. The liability rate was significantly high due to the amount of work expected and case load per officer.
Pros
Supervisor was great; great support by immediate supervisor, enjoyed working with the youth
Cons
Low pay, stressful workload, recidivism rate was too high, no real justice or help for our youth
Juvenile Probation Officer/Court Liaison (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2017
Great place to work dealing with juveniles involved in the criminal justice system. Professional organization providing an opportunity to turn around the lives of juveniles
So much potential but pay is terrible
Senior Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 10, 2017
FLDJJ is a huge statewide department where you can grow and excel in your own circuit or elsewhere if you want. The only problem, and its a huge problem, is the pay. It's unacceptable. If they raised everyone's salary $5,000 more a year, this would be a much better agency.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pay is not good
great place to work
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 12, 2017
The job was laid back and less stressful. Management was pleasant to work for. The position was not demanding and did not require nights and weekend. The position allow you to adjust your work hours.
Pros
adjusted work hours
Cons
pay not great
Low Moral with lots of contempt for new hires.
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Broward County, FLAugust 21, 2017
Working in Broward is a experience like no other location. Juvenile's seem to have the upper hand in the facility. Supervisors have there favorites and clicks with older staff. Leaving new hires feeling the blunt of getting the blame of errors for the other staff, or getting stuck with unruly disrepecting juveniles. When the new hires ask for help from the older staff , most turn there back or look the other way. Resulting in a unpresidendeded amount of resigns in a short amount of time. Leaving the facility understaffed , something quite possibility wanted by senior staff or supervisors to get raises not seen in 10 years.
Pros
Heath Insurance
Cons
High Risk of On The Job Injuries
horribleplace to wok for
Juvenile Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 17, 2017
The kids are bad and staff doesn't work with each other I felt as if it wasn't a healthy and safe environment. promotions aren't easy to come by. kids fight every day
Nice work if you can get it.
Office Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLJuly 28, 2017
As I already mentioned, it's nice work if you can get it…In other words, it's with some good people and important work. Much needs to be done regarding work with these youth.
Pros
Nice work, good people to work with.
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement.
No review, I was an intern
Juvenile Probation Officer Internship (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 24, 2017
I interned at a Juvenile Justice center for my bachelor's degree. I found the work fascinating and was able to learn more about how the Department works and the youth that we serve.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Stressful environment
Not the best place to work
Juvenile Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 23, 2017
52-80 hours a week is normal for the employees. Not a family friendly occupation at all! The base salary is horrible but you work a lot of overtime so it evens out.
Benefits
Cons
Salary and work environment
Watch your back
Certified Detention Officer I, State (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJuly 22, 2017
There are no friends in those walls. You are going to work to make money and help kids if you can. Don't get caught up in the drama and crablike behavior.
Productive and well informed place to work.
Government Operations Consultant II (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FL 32399July 20, 2017
Department of Juvenile Justice is a great place to work. There are many wonderful opportunities including training and room for growth, increasing your chance to promote.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
More healthcare options
Case Management at DJJ
Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 27, 2017
Case management, preparing document and reports for court, home visits, daily contact with law enforcement, referring youth for services, staffing etc
Pros
Working with at-risk youth and their families
Cons
no cons
Strenous Work
Detention Officer/JJDOII (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 19, 2017
Long and tedious 16hr shifts. Must stand for duration of scheduled day. Short lunch breaks. No inmate accountability. Officers forced to work at least 3-4, 16hr shifts with only 2 days off.
Pros
Helping misguided youth to become productive citizens.
Cons
Long hours, low pay, staff not appreciated.
ok
OMC I Duty Officer Central Communications Center (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 28, 2017
A very rewarding job that focuses on juvenile delinquency and community safety. It also provides an opportunity for mentoring and counseling at risk teens.
Florida DJJ
Government Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLApril 24, 2017
During my years with the FDJJ I was able to greatly expand my knowledge of case management, juvenile offenders, and services that best meet the needs of the youth and family.

The hardest part of the job is time management due to large caseloads and changes in policies and procedures.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers and youth/families you create relationships with and encourage their continued success.
Great Job
Intern (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 20, 2017
It's a great place to intern at. I enjoyed interning with the kids and staff. There are so many opportunities for career development growth at this agency.
Fun place to work; fun coworkers; good moral
LPN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 15, 2017
It was a challenge to care for troubled teen boys, but it was also rewarding to see them get better. I learned a lot about healthcare, and how to care for people with different conditions. I had amazing supervisors and coworkers.
Pros
My own space to work; doing what I love to do
not enough employees
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 10, 2017
very high turn over rate. policies and pay are terrible. you will work 16 hour shifts back to back and will most likely be injured on the job. the only good thing about this job is the state benefits.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
holding over, overtime check is taxed and comes in a separate check. high turn over rate, high probability to be injured on the job, no raises.
Easy to promote with hard work.
Government Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 16, 2016
I was able to be promoted 3 times in 2 years all the way to headquarters. Easy to work hard and gain knowledge. I was able to make a difference and help leave a mark within the agency. I was able to work all the way to the top and back down to give back and help with training other stop be able to make it to the top as well.
Productive Place with awesome benefits
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 6, 2016
This position was working with the background screening unit for the Department of Juvenile Justice. The unit was responsible for conducting background checks for all potential employees for all the juvenile justice centers in Florida and any contracted juvenile agencies. As Operations Manager, I was responsible for ensuring accurate ratings and timeliness of all screenings. I was also responsible for processing all appeals, gathering additional information from courts if necessary. In the absence of the supervisor, I served in that capacity.

The management and co-workers were good. The office had a steady work pace and everyone did their job in a timely manner.