Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Employee Reviews

not enough employees
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 10, 2017
very high turn over rate. policies and pay are terrible. you will work 16 hour shifts back to back and will most likely be injured on the job. the only good thing about this job is the state benefits.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
holding over, overtime check is taxed and comes in a separate check. high turn over rate, high probability to be injured on the job, no raises.
Worst job I ever had
Detention Officer I (Former Employee) –  West palm beach, FloridaJuly 14, 2016
This was probably the worse job that I have ever had. To start the pay is a low $12-13 hour with no chance of raises or bonuses. My first year I worked every weekend and holiday in the year. Job has a high turnover rate, so unexpected overtime is not told to you until 10-15 minutes before end of your shift, if someone called out you must stay and work it. Outdated, busted equipment is what we had to use, radios hardly ever worked, so if you needed help you were sol. Uniforms never fit right, or were stained up and ripped so you bought your own. Long hours, emotionally stressful job, that burns you out for $12 a hour is not worth it. I am glad that I left
Pros
Close to my residence
Cons
Terrible pay, used uniforms, required overtime, stressful
Government position
Juvenile Probation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLNovember 27, 2016
I work with a great group of people. The work is not difficult and I enjoyed working with the youth and families when I was a probation officer. I still have youth that I assisted come back and tell me how they are doing. I love working with so many different community partners and the ability to learn new things is never ending.
benefits
Cons
salary
Easy to promote with hard work.
Government Operations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 16, 2016
I was able to be promoted 3 times in 2 years all the way to headquarters. Easy to work hard and gain knowledge. I was able to make a difference and help leave a mark within the agency. I was able to work all the way to the top and back down to give back and help with training other stop be able to make it to the top as well.
Secure Job terrible pay
Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Stuart, FLMay 18, 2016
I know that it will almost take an act of god to lose my job however the pay is so bad it's not even worth it. The only good thing is the health insurance the benefits are great
Pros
Benefits, retirement
Cons
terrible pay for the amount of work
Might not be the worst job in the world, but it is close!
JDO II (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 18, 2016
We had a flood at my facility. The water was waist deep, power was out and the Superintendent was not answering her phone. The kids were swimming with turds in their rooms, screaming, yelling, the next shift could not report due to flooding. Three or four Officers had their vehicles flooded out because they could not get permission to leave the facility to move them to higher ground because Management slept through the phone calls. It got worse after that. It turns out all those "holidays" that we were collecting comp time for would never get used because of chronic people shortages. You LOSE YOUR BENEFITS after a certain date, and management says "Deal with it". We're talking about $12.00 per hour here folks, people can earn that anywhere without all the drama. At least pretend to treat the employees like you care. Because of the personnel shortage, Officers were often left alone on the mod with no back-up. Kids learned they could do whatever they wanted and there was no-one to stop them. LOTS of Officers were needlessly injured because they were dumb enough to try to break up fights when the kids were just setting an ambush. I learned nothing worthwhile here other than how broken the system really is.
Pros
Free uniforms. They are USED, torn and stained, but they are free. Healthcare: you are gonna need it after this!
Cons
Dangerous Work!, Expect to be involved in 2-3 fights per week or more depending on location/staffing level.
Learning experience
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMarch 30, 2016
supervising youth in our care and making sure they have a safe environment. I learned the different struggles the youth had on there plates and how to deal with them. The hardest part of the job is dealing with out of control youth.
Benefits
Cons
Adolescent Youth
Fun place to work; fun coworkers; good moral
LPN (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 15, 2017
It was a challenge to care for troubled teen boys, but it was also rewarding to see them get better. I learned a lot about healthcare, and how to care for people with different conditions. I had amazing supervisors and coworkers.
Pros
My own space to work; doing what I love to do
Djj
Juvenile Probation Officer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLNovember 21, 2016
Not a good working environment, but that was 4years ago. I lasted 10years and will not do it again. Management is horrible.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great Place to work
Juvenile Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 15, 2016
if you love making a differences in kids lives this job is definitely for you. There is never a dull moment at the workplace. Helping them make a change for the better is always a great feeling
fun place to work and great people to work with
Senior Juvenile Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 31, 2012
Maintain accountability for the offenders and maintain accurate reports. I learned to be a better listener, to be more aware of my surroundings, objective and team oriented. Management constantly provided advise on how to consistently be a better and more observant officer. My co-workers were team players and we had each other's best interest at heart. My co-workers were very encouraging and knowledgable. The hardest part of my job was the unexpected mandatory overtime and may end up working a 16 hour day if some called in sick. However, the most enjoyable part of my job was having overtime available if i need extra money and working with some great individuals.
Pros
volunteer overtime opportunities, chance of advancement
Cons
change in policies that were not officer friendly
Forced overtime, high turnover, mistrust among co-workers
Detention Care Worker II (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 4, 2015
Sign in, hoping that your co-workers are also coming to work, exchange your personal set of keys for unit keys, report to your mod, count the inmates, take the kids out as a group for meals, get the kids through shower time, pass out snacks, do laundry, perform ten minute room checks, and hope your relief shows up so that you can go home at the end of your scheduled shift.

Turnover was so high in management that I can't really say. They generally stayed in their office away from the mods except for occasional rounding.

Co-workers- Mostly burnt out from too many 16 hour shifts. There were always rumors that several staff partied with inmates outside of work. I was hired in a group of 12 hires. Two new hires quit during the tour of the facility and 8 others quit within the first 2 weeks of work. Overall turnover rate was somewhere in the vicinity of 90%.

The hardest part of the job was never knowing if your relief will show up or not and having to work many, many overtime shifts.

The most enjoyable part of the job- It wasn't very enjoyable.
Pros
Overtime pay was given on seperate paycheck so bi-weekly pay was actually weekly pay
Cons
Exhaustingly long hours and frequent forced overtime
Each department varies
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee FLJuly 22, 2015
The position that I held was great, the hours were a typical 8-5. The company as a whole is a pleasure to work with. However, the management I worked under were very unprofessional when it came to work related and personal issues. When I first started I loved working there, but after some time there was continuous drama within the department that had nothing to do with work. You could be a great employee but if you're not liked for any other reason then your days will quickly become dreadful.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Poor Management, unfair treatment
Hated This Place
Assistant Detention Center Superintndent (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLNovember 15, 2015
Underpaid and overworked. Threats of not getting full time position were made against me even though I was working more than 40 hours a week. Management is just worried about numbers and not you. More worried about their bonuses than the employees.
Great working environment.
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 25, 2012
Job Security/Advancement. It's a great place to work if you have the patience to work with juveniles. Great staff and management. My experience from working in the adult jails was an great key essentials to the department. Enjoyable part of the job was working with the youths and the hardest part was the youth going through the court system.
Satisfied
Detention Officer II (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLOctober 5, 2015
Great opportunity learning new skills in a correction facility type setting. Can be stressful if you allow it to be. Great career advancement opportunity. Job security.
great place to work... if you can deal with at-risk kids.
Shift Commander/Instructor/FTO (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 28, 2015
Overall good job, with the potential to be a great career. The work is not to hard, and if you are a peoples person, you will excel.
Pros
easy work
Cons
not enough money for the work
Working at Florida Dept. Of Juvenile Justice
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJuly 16, 2012
This agency was far behind time when dealing with juvenile offenders. I left the department in 1998 and their services were like that in 1978. One can not evaluate a juvenile ffender by using a point system. There were several juvenile offenders with at least 3 or 4 volumes folders and the point system used by the department stated that these offenders should not be incarerated but put on the home monitoring system and no social service for the family.
Pros
working in the sun shine state
Cons
behind time on dealing with juvenile offenders
Good
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 3, 2015
Overall I enjoyed my experience here. I liked my co-workers and learned a lot. The interaction with the court system and law enforcement prepares you for a career in the legal system.
I enjoyed assisting Juvenile Delinquents to be successfully terminated from probation supervision.
Senior Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 6, 2013
A typical day at work is very busy. I enjoyed assisting Juvenile delinquents in completing court ordered sanctions. Prepared reports for court proceedings, complete violation of probation, progress report and termination orders. Utilize my knowledge to improve work processes and create effective teamwork.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Department of Juvenile Justice. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9