Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews

Loved working here
Intramural Sports Official (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJune 12, 2015
Wonderful place, and fun environment, with great co workers that truly care for you. You have fun interracting with the college students as well.
Excellent faculty teamwork
Visiting Professor/Adjunct (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FLJune 4, 2015
The faculty members are dedicated and assist coworkers in good team spirit. The campus is well designed and operated in truly Green manner. Athletic facilities are open to the faculty and dining hall is clean and well supplied with variety of foods.
Great experience, with a lot of diversity and taught many new and professional skills.
President of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJune 3, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people, building networks, and trying new things.
Cons: N/A
Overall, Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. is not a job at Florida Gulf Coast University but rather involvement in the community and on campus. I was not only the President of this organization but also a founder. A typical day at work included tasks such as planning future events to fit our tenets (Scholarship, Service, Sisterhood, Multiculturalism and Leadership), attend workshops and meetings, and distribute tasks between different officers.I learned leadership and professional qualities and how to host events.
Housing
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FLFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: benefits/time off
Cons: dealing with incompetent management and fellow employees
Hostile work environment! Fellow employees try to screw one another. Management seems to encourage it, or they are out of their league to stop it. Excessive lunch time. Certain employees can leave at anytime with no repercussions. Easy job if your one of the good old boys. No chance for advancement. Nepotism ramped!
A great place to work. The university is a very professional place.
Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: friendly staff and a laid-back atmosphere.
Cons: lack of fulltime hours.
A typical day on the job would consist of making contact with all of the managers of the food service facilities at the university. If they had any problems or had any repairs that needed to be done, I would attempt to resolve them. If possible, I would do the repairs myself or arrange for outside contractors to take care of them.

My management and coworkers were friendly, helpful and professional.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be in receiving compliments for a job well done.
Fun and interesting place to work and I learned many new skills.
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLNovember 18, 2014
Pros: great work experience and networking opportunities.
Cons: temporary, part-time position dependent on grant funding
My day to day responsibilities vary through out the month. Typically I am working on data entry or analysis or assisting in making reports. When I am not I am usually out in the field. Field work consists of small vessel operation and surveying seagrass beds. I also help the grad students in the lab with their thesis work. I assist in the management of the lab and field equipment.
Enjoy teaching there.
Lifelong Learning Instructor (Current Employee), FLOctober 8, 2014
Pros: environment and staff
A very comfortable environment for the non-credit teaching that I do. Academic freedom.
Very slow pace work environment
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLOctober 7, 2014
Pros: a lot of free time
Cons: not much room to advance
Most days at work were slow and little happened on campus. It is a smaller university and has big things coming for it.
Good University for business degree
Part time student (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FLOctober 6, 2014
Pros: excellent school for business
Cons: requires a lot of time.
Go to class part time.
Spend a few hours a week at class.
Do homework.
Working on getting my Finance degree.
Wonderful experience
Stage Manager/Props Manager (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: writing, lighting designing, cleaning, microsoft office, driving
Cons: telephone calls (i text only)
This school was the wonderful experience I ever had so far! Great professor, great directors, great people! This experiences were very rewarding. When we were finished the plays when I was working on, they placed a pictures on the wall with our names of who worked in the play and worked backstage. Not only I benefited experiences, I also learned so much about being stage manager. I decided that I want to pursue my career as a stage manager as well as being in the backstage.
Enjoyed sharing knowledge to fellow classmates.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLAugust 28, 2014
Aided students with tutoring and coursework related questions and the use of the Microsoft Command-line interpreter, Eclipse IDE and Netbeans IDE for use in coding/programming in Java, C++, HTML and JavaScript. Also assisted the professor with class activities and grading of material.
great work environment
Intramural Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJuly 18, 2014
Pros: small campus, friendly staff
Cons: school growing faster then the campus so limits use of some parts
The school is looks like a vacation resort with waterfront activities, a "beach" and a fitness center. With all these great amenities you can also enjoy playing sports even if you weren't so lucky to get a college scholarship to play. They have intramural teams in a variety of different sports ranging from flag football to beach volleyball. These sports are offered free to the students and are sure to make your experience at college a more memorable one.
Professional but fun place to work
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJune 3, 2014
Pros: free giveaways
Cons: not enough hours available
A typical day at work we sit at the desk and offer our services to any student or parent that needs it. It can vary with us handling the school mail services to giving valuable information that they need. What I learned at this job overall is how to handle a lot of responsibility and how to be cautious and to make sure that I always follow the jobs protocol. Management there is great. My supervisor is very detailed in what she expects of you and I love that about the job. I always want to know how I am supposed to perform at my job. To be totally honest I don't find my job difficult at all. I enjoy every aspect of this job.
Same as Previous review
VA/ Scheduling Registration Officer (Current Employee), FLMay 30, 2014
Pros: some benefits
Cons: high stress/ hostile environment
High stress, fast paced work production. Some areas are hostile work environments. Poor Management in various areas. Human Resources not a confidential solitude place to discuss issues.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FLMay 22, 2014
The Relationship among Dysfunctional Leadership Dispositions, Employee
Engagement, Burnout & Job Satisfaction

The purpose of this study is to examine, from the subordinate’s perspective, the relationship of dysfunctional leadership dispositions to employee engagement, job satisfaction and burnout. Design/methodology/approach: A field study survey was used to capture three categories of dysfunctional dispositions and three employee variables from employees engaged in dyadic relationships with leaders. Multiple regression analysis was used to test relationships hypothesized to exist between dysfunctional behaviors and employee engagement, job satisfaction, and burnout.
Fun place to work with great people.
Intramural Sports and Sport Clubs Intern (Current Employee), Fort Myers, FLFebruary 26, 2014
Fun place to work with great people. The campus is beautiful and the staff is great.
Productive work environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Fort Myers, FLJanuary 9, 2014
Great opportunity for personal and professional growth. I learned how to create new programs and processes with minimal supervision. I was given the tools to succeed and the freedom to make decision without being micro managed.
Good working environment
Registration Assistant (Former Employee), fort myers, flDecember 9, 2013
Great place to work, not very stressful and very people oriented
I really enjoyed working at FGCU
Campus Recreation Budget Manager (Former Employee), Campus Recreation Modular buildingAugust 16, 2013
Pros: the thriteen thousand students at fgcu kept me young
The environment was very pleasant and the people were great to work with. Management was the best and I was treated very well, I would still be working there if we had not moved back to Vermont to be with family.
Depends which department in which you work
Office Manager (Current Employee), Estero, FLJuly 20, 2013
Cons: job insecurity - always talk of budget cuts cuts cuts (depressing, as they constantly remind us of what we are not going to have vs. what we do have to work with)
President seems kind and sincere - basically a good man. But he may be blind to some bad managers. Nepotism big-time, too. VP's wife was in exec office as Secretary under maiden name.

The campus is fabulous - well-manicured - and there are many nice amenities (Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A,cafeteria with really good food (sometimes cooked to order), smoothie place, etc. )

However, since there have not been any raises per se in years, and only a few chosen 'pets' advance, most jobs are 'dead-end'. As for work-life balance, again, that totally depends on your supervisor, as the ones without kids take their long lunches but if you need to leave a 1/2 hour early for a parent-teacher conference, then you need to take that time as 'vacation'! You do not feel appreciated - unless that is OK with you!
Headquarters