Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews

FGCU great place to work
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 22, 2016
I work long hours, but my coworkers make it worth it. I walk in and grab my badge and sit down at the desk and wash everything down and check for any notes on the desk to make sure I don't have to do anything. I greet parents and students as they walk into the building and ask if they have any questions or need help. If so, I direct them in the right way. I show them the resources we have on campus and how to navigate through the website. Management is great, we have good communication and if anything is wrong in the workplace, I can go to them for anything. Coworkers are very helpful and are always around to make sure we are doing all that we can do for the residents. Hardest part of my job is that I work up to 12 hours in one day, it's hard but worth it. I enjoy talking to the residents and parents about the school and about the problems that they are having. I like helping them and making a difference in their college experience.
Great place to learn lab management
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 26, 2015
Initially I was satisfied with work and stability of job. The school is growing faster than expected. The staffing and classroom building needs to keep up with the growth to maintain work/life balance. Job security is not a problem, but advancement for lab managers is very limited, unless a graduate degree is achieved. Most lab managers with graduate degrees leave the position for a teaching position at the same university or leave for other opportunities.
favorite place i worked
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 24, 2015
Everyone was great at the workplace and the management was excellent. Very laid back environment would recommend. Only thing is you have to get cpr aed certified but they help you achieve the certification and isn't hard at all.
Pros
lenient schedule
Cons
salary
Full time student
Full Time Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  FLOctober 17, 2015
Average week was divided into class, studies, and clinical time encompassing 80 hr/week. Exams, quizzes, homework, and reading assignments every week. Not allowed to work due to the intensity of the program.
Productive and friendly workplace.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 22, 2015
Productive work environment that offers numerous challenging projects.The faculty members are dedicated and assist coworkers in good team spirit. The campus is well designed and operated in truly Green manner. Diverse population.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Not enough options supporting personal grow and development.
Good
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 8, 2015
Great people. Diverse population.
Dealing with the students is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Great opportunities to excel in providing great customer service.
Watching others accomplish their goals provide me a great sense of pride.
Pros
pay tuition
Cons
Very little opportunnbities of advancement
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  FLJune 17, 2015
Everyday there was something to be done. Although I did not intern there very long, I learned a lot about the "behind the scenes" aspect of how the college classroom worked. I walked away from the experience feeling as if I learned a lot.
Loved working here
Intramural Sports Official (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 12, 2015
Wonderful place, and fun environment, with great co workers that truly care for you. You have fun interracting with the college students as well.
Excellent faculty teamwork
Visiting Professor/Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 4, 2015
The faculty members are dedicated and assist coworkers in good team spirit. The campus is well designed and operated in truly Green manner. Athletic facilities are open to the faculty and dining hall is clean and well supplied with variety of foods.
Great experience, with a lot of diversity and taught many new and professional skills.
President of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 3, 2015
Overall, Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. is not a job at Florida Gulf Coast University but rather involvement in the community and on campus. I was not only the President of this organization but also a founder. A typical day at work included tasks such as planning future events to fit our tenets (Scholarship, Service, Sisterhood, Multiculturalism and Leadership), attend workshops and meetings, and distribute tasks between different officers.I learned leadership and professional qualities and how to host events.
Pros
Meeting new people, building networks, and trying new things.
Cons
N/A
Housing
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 2, 2015
Hostile work environment! Fellow employees try to screw one another. Management seems to encourage it, or they are out of their league to stop it. Excessive lunch time. Certain employees can leave at anytime with no repercussions. Easy job if your one of the good old boys. No chance for advancement. Nepotism ramped!
Pros
benefits/time off
Cons
dealing with incompetent management and fellow employees
A great place to work. The university is a very professional place.
Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 31, 2015
A typical day on the job would consist of making contact with all of the managers of the food service facilities at the university. If they had any problems or had any repairs that needed to be done, I would attempt to resolve them. If possible, I would do the repairs myself or arrange for outside contractors to take care of them.

My management and coworkers were friendly, helpful and professional.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be in receiving compliments for a job well done.
Pros
friendly staff and a laid-back atmosphere.
Cons
lack of fulltime hours.
Fun and interesting place to work and I learned many new skills.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 18, 2014
My day to day responsibilities vary through out the month. Typically I am working on data entry or analysis or assisting in making reports. When I am not I am usually out in the field. Field work consists of small vessel operation and surveying seagrass beds. I also help the grad students in the lab with their thesis work. I assist in the management of the lab and field equipment.
Pros
great work experience and networking opportunities.
Cons
temporary, part-time position dependent on grant funding
Enjoy teaching there.
Lifelong Learning Instructor (Current Employee) –  FLOctober 8, 2014
A very comfortable environment for the non-credit teaching that I do. Academic freedom.
Pros
environment and staff
Very slow pace work environment
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 7, 2014
Most days at work were slow and little happened on campus. It is a smaller university and has big things coming for it.
Pros
a lot of free time
Cons
not much room to advance
Good University for business degree
Part time student (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 6, 2014
Go to class part time.
Spend a few hours a week at class.
Do homework.
Working on getting my Finance degree.
Pros
excellent school for business
Cons
requires a lot of time.
Wonderful experience
Stage Manager/Props Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 10, 2014
This school was the wonderful experience I ever had so far! Great professor, great directors, great people! This experiences were very rewarding. When we were finished the plays when I was working on, they placed a pictures on the wall with our names of who worked in the play and worked backstage. Not only I benefited experiences, I also learned so much about being stage manager. I decided that I want to pursue my career as a stage manager as well as being in the backstage.
Pros
writing, lighting designing, cleaning, microsoft office, driving
Cons
telephone calls (i text only)
Enjoyed sharing knowledge to fellow classmates.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 28, 2014
Aided students with tutoring and coursework related questions and the use of the Microsoft Command-line interpreter, Eclipse IDE and Netbeans IDE for use in coding/programming in Java, C++, HTML and JavaScript. Also assisted the professor with class activities and grading of material.
great work environment
Intramural Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 18, 2014
The school is looks like a vacation resort with waterfront activities, a "beach" and a fitness center. With all these great amenities you can also enjoy playing sports even if you weren't so lucky to get a college scholarship to play. They have intramural teams in a variety of different sports ranging from flag football to beach volleyball. These sports are offered free to the students and are sure to make your experience at college a more memorable one.
Pros
small campus, friendly staff
Cons
school growing faster then the campus so limits use of some parts
Professional but fun place to work
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 3, 2014
A typical day at work we sit at the desk and offer our services to any student or parent that needs it. It can vary with us handling the school mail services to giving valuable information that they need. What I learned at this job overall is how to handle a lot of responsibility and how to be cautious and to make sure that I always follow the jobs protocol. Management there is great. My supervisor is very detailed in what she expects of you and I love that about the job. I always want to know how I am supposed to perform at my job. To be totally honest I don't find my job difficult at all. I enjoy every aspect of this job.
Pros
free giveaways
Cons
not enough hours available

4.3