Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and fast work environment
FGCU Athletics Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 1, 2016
I worked mostly in the arena of sports journalism while I attended Florida Gulf Coast University. I was expected to film and produce packages in a timely manner. Many times, I was called in last minute to cover sporting events, but this was expected since I was aware I would cover events the Video Coordinator could not attend. This may have been the hardest part of the job, but it taught me a lot about balancing work and school. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my final product or package. My coworkers were always willing to work with me to create the best possible projects.
Positive environment
Senior Secretary, Office of the President (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 19, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at FGCU. It has allowed me to attain my bachelor's degree at another university and my master's degree on campus. The drive for campus unity is palpable. The staff is striving to have more diversity throughout each department and throughout the student body. Having been there for 10 years I have been a witness the growth and progress that the university has had and the impact it has had on the surrounding community. Opportunities are offered for continuing education, education leadership, system training, etc.
Pros
Six credits free each semester, education grant offered, great benefits, on campus spa, free access to gym and pool area, great advancement opportunities
Cons
State regulated pay increase, network system needs an upgrade
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 23, 2016
Taught sections of HUM 2390, Themes in Humanities. I created a course with the central theme of re- telling stories to a modern audience. Student would read/hear stories, myths, legends, and fairytales identify the central lesson being taught and then re-tell it, making it their own. This allows the student to understand that, through individuals have different backgrounds, each person can find a common ground or idea to relate to.
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 25, 2016
Very motivating institution to work for being that it's one of the only institutions in SWFL that solely concentrates on research. The many different areas of research that are within this institution seems so far fetch however, it's the reality. Sustainability is a major major issue within this institution and for it to be such a new school....it's making a HUGE impact on the world and SWFL!
Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty, University Colloquium (Current Employee) –  FLJanuary 29, 2016
After returning to FL after a decade of living in GA, I was welcomed back to FGCU as an adjunct, something I had done prior to moving to GA in 2005.

I find that everyone there is wonderful, always willing to help in any way that they can to make returning to a much larger university than it was a decade ago a wonderful experience.

The technology, the departments, faculty, staff and students have made my transition back much easier than I had anticipated, and I hope to be able to pick up additional classes in the coming semesters.
Pros
Wonderful faculty, staff and students
Cons
Getting set up with all of the programs in IT.
Able to be independent and self managed work throughout entire research project.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 14, 2016
Set a personal schedule, able to research and develop strategies with the professor i was working with. Goals of the research project were clear but flexible.
Fun place to work
Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 5, 2016
Great place to work and learn the in's and out's of the business. This was a relaxed and fun environment. Jobs differ depending on what your title is at this school. The job I was assigned was organized and proficient in the teaching of certain skills.
FGCU great place to work
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 22, 2016
I work long hours, but my coworkers make it worth it. I walk in and grab my badge and sit down at the desk and wash everything down and check for any notes on the desk to make sure I don't have to do anything. I greet parents and students as they walk into the building and ask if they have any questions or need help. If so, I direct them in the right way. I show them the resources we have on campus and how to navigate through the website. Management is great, we have good communication and if anything is wrong in the workplace, I can go to them for anything. Coworkers are very helpful and are always around to make sure we are doing all that we can do for the residents. Hardest part of my job is that I work up to 12 hours in one day, it's hard but worth it. I enjoy talking to the residents and parents about the school and about the problems that they are having. I like helping them and making a difference in their college experience.
Great place to learn lab management
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 26, 2015
Initially I was satisfied with work and stability of job. The school is growing faster than expected. The staffing and classroom building needs to keep up with the growth to maintain work/life balance. Job security is not a problem, but advancement for lab managers is very limited, unless a graduate degree is achieved. Most lab managers with graduate degrees leave the position for a teaching position at the same university or leave for other opportunities.
favorite place i worked
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 24, 2015
Everyone was great at the workplace and the management was excellent. Very laid back environment would recommend. Only thing is you have to get cpr aed certified but they help you achieve the certification and isn't hard at all.
Pros
lenient schedule
Cons
salary
Fun
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 6, 2016
Was a helpdesk technician there and found the job environment very comfortable, helpful, and encouraging for workers to learn new skills.
Productive and friendly workplace.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 22, 2015
Productive work environment that offers numerous challenging projects.The faculty members are dedicated and assist coworkers in good team spirit. The campus is well designed and operated in truly Green manner. Diverse population.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Not enough options supporting personal grow and development.
Full time student
Full Time Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  FLOctober 17, 2015
Average week was divided into class, studies, and clinical time encompassing 80 hr/week. Exams, quizzes, homework, and reading assignments every week. Not allowed to work due to the intensity of the program.
Good
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 8, 2015
Great people. Diverse population.
Dealing with the students is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Great opportunities to excel in providing great customer service.
Watching others accomplish their goals provide me a great sense of pride.
Pros
pay tuition
Cons
Very little opportunnbities of advancement
Great experience, with a lot of diversity and taught many new and professional skills.
President of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 3, 2015
Overall, Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. is not a job at Florida Gulf Coast University but rather involvement in the community and on campus. I was not only the President of this organization but also a founder. A typical day at work included tasks such as planning future events to fit our tenets (Scholarship, Service, Sisterhood, Multiculturalism and Leadership), attend workshops and meetings, and distribute tasks between different officers.I learned leadership and professional qualities and how to host events.
Pros
Meeting new people, building networks, and trying new things.
Cons
N/A
Excellent faculty teamwork
Visiting Professor/Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 4, 2015
The faculty members are dedicated and assist coworkers in good team spirit. The campus is well designed and operated in truly Green manner. Athletic facilities are open to the faculty and dining hall is clean and well supplied with variety of foods.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  FLJune 17, 2015
Everyday there was something to be done. Although I did not intern there very long, I learned a lot about the "behind the scenes" aspect of how the college classroom worked. I walked away from the experience feeling as if I learned a lot.
A great place to work. The university is a very professional place.
Business Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 31, 2015
A typical day on the job would consist of making contact with all of the managers of the food service facilities at the university. If they had any problems or had any repairs that needed to be done, I would attempt to resolve them. If possible, I would do the repairs myself or arrange for outside contractors to take care of them.

My management and coworkers were friendly, helpful and professional.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be in receiving compliments for a job well done.
Pros
friendly staff and a laid-back atmosphere.
Cons
lack of fulltime hours.
Housing
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 2, 2015
Hostile work environment! Fellow employees try to screw one another. Management seems to encourage it, or they are out of their league to stop it. Excessive lunch time. Certain employees can leave at anytime with no repercussions. Easy job if your one of the good old boys. No chance for advancement. Nepotism ramped!
Pros
benefits/time off
Cons
dealing with incompetent management and fellow employees
Fun and interesting place to work and I learned many new skills.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 18, 2014
My day to day responsibilities vary through out the month. Typically I am working on data entry or analysis or assisting in making reports. When I am not I am usually out in the field. Field work consists of small vessel operation and surveying seagrass beds. I also help the grad students in the lab with their thesis work. I assist in the management of the lab and field equipment.
Pros
great work experience and networking opportunities.
Cons
temporary, part-time position dependent on grant funding

4.3