Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews

Excellent Atmosphere
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 9, 2017
Great work culture for students to have a part-time job and focus on their academics. Excellent management! Very friendly co-workers, everyone works together to achieve the same goal.
Fulfilling and Meaningful Workplace
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 31, 2017
Perform duties that are instructional in nature or deliver direct services to students or parents. Serve in a position for which a teacher has ultimate responsibility for the design and implementation of educational programs and services.
Cons
Students can sometime be stressful
I had great instructors and I felt very comfortable with the work I was doing
Teaching Assistant, Issues in Culture and Society (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 19, 2017
I lead groups of about 6 students throughout the course and I even taught several classes. I was to advise my group of students in the class and was held partially accountable for them and their success as students. I learned a lot about leadership and team management.
Pros
Relaxed Environment, subject matter I was comfortable with
Cons
Unpaid
exciting and great starting workplace
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 14, 2017
Working at Florida Gulf Coast University was a great starting job as it let me experience many things whether working with people, working a front desk, planning and managing events and people, and problem solving. it was a great job that prepared me for many future possibilities
Good place to work but very cliquesh
Associate Director of Procurement (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 1, 2017
I worked there for 8+ years was able to work my way into a management position. during that time the university had 4 presidents. a lot of nice people there and some not so nice. academics rule the show. training is very poor from what you may expect from a universtiy
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor training do nothing administration
Supporting work environment
Competitive Sports Supervisor (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 9, 2017
Florida Gulf Coast University as a student worker was a well-maintained environment that encouraged growth and expression. The typical day for my type of employment allowed me to think on my feet and grow my interpersonal skills with people coming from all walks of life.

This school has handled the sudden growth in population over the past 5 years by employing those willing to adapt to a changing environment, which is what I craved.

I immersed myself in the FGCU student leader culture. I implore those who are looking for a job as a student, to turn to anything campus has to offer.
Great opportunity for me to further my education in the evenings while working full-time during the day.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 7, 2017
FGCU was overall an exciting place to work, but did have it's negatives. What I learned is that a department can only go as far as management will allow them to go. I did not think our management was great and therefore we suffered as a group. A typical day would start at 6 and usually end around 3. the four of us shared one office but rarely communicated. Our work was our work and there was not my sharing of thoughts and ideas. As a young professional I would have liked more opportunity to learn and grow, something that I look forward to at my next position.
Pros
Lenient with schedule. As long as work was done, I was able to come and go.
Cons
Leadership in my department was not excellent.
Producitve and allowed to work at own place
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 13, 2017
As a teacher assistance, it is mostly grading the homework that is submitted either on paper or online. I was allowed to work at my own pace and at home. The teacher I worked under was extremely understanding. The hardest part of the job is that the work comes and goes, sometime I do not work in a week because there was no homework to grade. Most enjoyable part is being able to help the students with comment on what they did wrong so that will not do it again.
Pros
Work at home, at own pace
Cons
Undetermined hours to work
Good resume builder
Chemistry Teaching Assistant / Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 8, 2017
Tutor is a good way to build your resume and make some cash. If you have a passion for a subject, why not pass on the knowledge and gain experience for yourself.
College has changed drastically since I was there.
Fort Myers - Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 4, 2017
The college had a middle of the road tutoring system. Some of the faculty seemed to care a negligible amount, though they are now gone. Overall it's a fine place to go to school.
Great place to work but slow for advancement
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 31, 2017
FGCU is a great place to work and people are friendly and helpful. Atmosphere is relaxed but competition is strong to make a name for yourself. Compensation is too low for cost of living making it a difficult place to grow your career.
Pros
intellectually stimulating
Cons
slow advancement process for faculty. Just like most higher ed institutions
Fun workplace
Referee (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 31, 2017
It was very fun meeting new people and finding out how to look at the game from the other side and that was very interesting for me and it helped me understand the game better.
Fantastic save campus
Adjunct Professor and Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLMay 16, 2017
Excellent work environment. Very friendly faculty. Small class sizes and pleasant campus. Easy to get around the campus. Beautiful dorms on campus.
Great Place To Work
Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 11, 2017
Great place to work as a student. Most departments are very flexible when it comes to class and other work schedules. Watch out for management though.
Best job to have while in college
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 9, 2017
It was probably my favorite job but after a couple years, you do get tired of being a babysitter. People don't know how to do laundry, how to live with others or how to even print. It's kind of unbelievable.
Pros
free housing and compensation
Cons
other students
Job was
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 9, 2017
Overall, working for the university was an experience non-the-less. However I find myself with the idea of not working there again. I feel that there were other places that would be more suitable for me.
Pros
Lived on campus for the summer for free
Cons
Didn't get enough hours
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 8, 2017
I loved my time at FGCU. The staff was friendly and my boss was so sweet. I finished my work within an hour or two depending on the day and was allowed to study in my downtime.
Would't Recommend
Athletics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 4, 2017
I wouldnt say FGCU is a great place to work. I cant speak for all departments but from my experience in Athletics and with speaking with other employees in others the feeling is all the same. The compensation is below average, salary breakdown in the department is very top heavy. Expectations for job performance are incredibly high even though resources given to you are very minimal.

Basically you have to work 60-70 hours a week just to keep the bosses happy which equals no work-life balance.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Bad compensation, poor management, no work-life balance
Great
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 1, 2017
worked as a laboratory assistant for department of psychology. I was manager of the cognitive brain sciences laboratory for 2 years. Completed 2 posters.
This job taught me a lot about myself and FGCU
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 1, 2017
This position made me the leader I am today . Fgcu is still growninf and changing and its great to be a part of that knowing I can impact other students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Gulf Coast University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4