Florida Gulf Coast University

Florida Gulf Coast University Employee Reviews

Positive environment
Senior Secretary, Office of the President (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 19, 2016
I have enjoyed my time at FGCU. It has allowed me to attain my bachelor's degree at another university and my master's degree on campus. The drive for campus unity is palpable. The staff is striving to have more diversity throughout each department and throughout the student body. Having been there for 10 years I have been a witness the growth and progress that the university has had and the impact it has had on the surrounding community. Opportunities are offered for continuing education, education leadership, system training, etc.
Pros
Six credits free each semester, education grant offered, great benefits, on campus spa, free access to gym and pool area, great advancement opportunities
Cons
State regulated pay increase, network system needs an upgrade
Salaries
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 1, 2016
Salaries need to Improve for Secretaries Lots of work for little pay
If this secretarial was in Corporate America it would be paying 70 thousand a year for all the work it pertains . What the school pays the Secretaries is considered Poverty level pay
Productive and great atmosphere!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FL 33965January 24, 2017
The Office of the General Counsel is great department at FGCU. The attorneys, staff and office are extremely pleasant.
Wonderful co-workers!
Pros
Working hours and office atmosphere
Cons
Commute
Great Workplace
Water Sports Instructor / Boat Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 20, 2016
Involved high communication skills and Problem Solving
Included how teach guest to do activities they may not be very comfortable with
FGCU great place to work
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 22, 2016
I work long hours, but my coworkers make it worth it. I walk in and grab my badge and sit down at the desk and wash everything down and check for any notes on the desk to make sure I don't have to do anything. I greet parents and students as they walk into the building and ask if they have any questions or need help. If so, I direct them in the right way. I show them the resources we have on campus and how to navigate through the website. Management is great, we have good communication and if anything is wrong in the workplace, I can go to them for anything. Coworkers are very helpful and are always around to make sure we are doing all that we can do for the residents. Hardest part of my job is that I work up to 12 hours in one day, it's hard but worth it. I enjoy talking to the residents and parents about the school and about the problems that they are having. I like helping them and making a difference in their college experience.
Depends which department in which you work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLJuly 20, 2013
President seems kind and sincere - basically a good man. But he may be blind to some bad managers. Nepotism big-time, too. VP's wife was in exec office as Secretary under maiden name.

The campus is fabulous - well-manicured - and there are many nice amenities (Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A,cafeteria with really good food (sometimes cooked to order), smoothie place, etc. )

However, since there have not been any raises per se in years, and only a few chosen 'pets' advance, most jobs are 'dead-end'. As for work-life balance, again, that totally depends on your supervisor, as the ones without kids take their long lunches but if you need to leave a 1/2 hour early for a parent-teacher conference, then you need to take that time as 'vacation'! You do not feel appreciated - unless that is OK with you!
Cons
Job insecurity - always talk of budget cuts cuts cuts (depressing, as they constantly remind us of what we are NOT going to have vs. what we DO have to work with)
i dont feel like doing this anymore
Marketing Photographer and Videographer (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 14, 2016
this is a pointless review that indeed is forcing me to do, and i have no want or need to do it again for an institution i have already reviewed
favorite place i worked
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 24, 2015
Everyone was great at the workplace and the management was excellent. Very laid back environment would recommend. Only thing is you have to get cpr aed certified but they help you achieve the certification and isn't hard at all.
Pros
lenient schedule
Cons
salary
Fun and fast work environment
FGCU Athletics Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 1, 2016
I worked mostly in the arena of sports journalism while I attended Florida Gulf Coast University. I was expected to film and produce packages in a timely manner. Many times, I was called in last minute to cover sporting events, but this was expected since I was aware I would cover events the Video Coordinator could not attend. This may have been the hardest part of the job, but it taught me a lot about balancing work and school. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my final product or package. My coworkers were always willing to work with me to create the best possible projects.
Eagles
Library Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 5, 2016
Nice University to work for. The student, staff and faculty are very pleasant. The co-workers were some of the best you can wished for.
Fabulous
Student Support Assistance (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 30, 2016
loved the staff and learning opportunities, enjoyed working with students, great opportunities to travel to other colleges, most enjoyable part-creating events
Productive and friendly workplace.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 22, 2015
Productive work environment that offers numerous challenging projects.The faculty members are dedicated and assist coworkers in good team spirit. The campus is well designed and operated in truly Green manner. Diverse population.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Not enough options supporting personal grow and development.
Housing
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 2, 2015
Hostile work environment! Fellow employees try to screw one another. Management seems to encourage it, or they are out of their league to stop it. Excessive lunch time. Certain employees can leave at anytime with no repercussions. Easy job if your one of the good old boys. No chance for advancement. Nepotism ramped!
Pros
Benefits/time off
Cons
dealing with incompetent management and fellow employees
Great place to learn lab management
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 26, 2015
Initially I was satisfied with work and stability of job. The school is growing faster than expected. The staffing and classroom building needs to keep up with the growth to maintain work/life balance. Job security is not a problem, but advancement for lab managers is very limited, unless a graduate degree is achieved. Most lab managers with graduate degrees leave the position for a teaching position at the same university or leave for other opportunities.
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 23, 2016
Taught sections of HUM 2390, Themes in Humanities. I created a course with the central theme of re- telling stories to a modern audience. Student would read/hear stories, myths, legends, and fairytales identify the central lesson being taught and then re-tell it, making it their own. This allows the student to understand that, through individuals have different backgrounds, each person can find a common ground or idea to relate to.
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 25, 2016
Very motivating institution to work for being that it's one of the only institutions in SWFL that solely concentrates on research. The many different areas of research that are within this institution seems so far fetch however, it's the reality. Sustainability is a major major issue within this institution and for it to be such a new school....it's making a HUGE impact on the world and SWFL!
Great environment and people, but poor pay and lack of coordination between different departments
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FloridaMay 30, 2013
Everything is laid back and people aren't afraid to relax on down times, and there are lots of lunches together and what not, however I haven't gotten a raise in 2 years, and don't receive any benefits at all.
Student Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 10, 2016
My time as a teacher's assistant was well spent and fulfilling. The instructors are very helpful and tutoring students is it's own reward.
Pros
Fulfilling work
Cons
Not many hours
Same as Previous review
VA/ Scheduling Registration Officer (Current Employee) –  FLMay 30, 2014
High stress, fast paced work production. Some areas are hostile work environments. Poor Management in various areas. Human Resources not a confidential solitude place to discuss issues.
Pros
Some benefits
Cons
High stress/ hostile environment
Able to be independent and self managed work throughout entire research project.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 14, 2016
Set a personal schedule, able to research and develop strategies with the professor i was working with. Goals of the research project were clear but flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Gulf Coast University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4