Florida International University

Florida International University Employee Reviews

Education
Creativators Club Member (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 6, 2016
Studied Advertsing with a minor in social media marketing. Joined Creativator club, learned to work with companies and create and manage social media accounts, events and website
Excellent Culture
ATOM THINK TANK Intern (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 23, 2016
FIU is truly committed not only their student but to their staff were they foster a love and support for higher educations. The benefits are amazing.
Flexible time schedule.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 17, 2016
The university is a very friendly environment to work. Timings are very flexible. It gives scope to know everything. I have l
Pros
Time schedule
Cons
short breaks
Exceptional Employer
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 17, 2016
Great benefits provided by FIU. The work environment is very friendly and welcoming.Its a fun place to work because the departments are involved in school spirited activities.
Coordinator Academic Services (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 5, 2016
Best place to work. The students, faculty, and staff are amazing. Beautiful campus in a great city. A truly diversed environment, and the community truly cherishes this amazing institution.
Pros
Students
Cons
Not closed for winter breaks
Awesome
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 27, 2016
It was awesome to be apart of FIU. I always had a wonderful day and always felt as if I was right at home. They appreciate their employees!!!!!!!!!!!!
A first rate, third rate University.
Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 12, 2016
My response to the realization that Florida International University was probably my future in mathematics research was to switch to electrical engineering.
Productive, fun place and you learn a lot.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 14, 2016
I loved being a research assistant at FIU. It pertained to my major so I picked up many useful skills while working there. My lab mates were amazing to work with. I loved conducting experiments and collecting data. I was able to pick the brains of graduated students and gain knowledge.
Pros
Access to study materials and located on my university campus.
Cons
It was an internship, no pay.
FIU is a great place to work!
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami,FLSeptember 1, 2016
I would highly recommend working at FIU, the benefits are great, it is a tight nit community, everyone knows each other. However, unless you have a master's or a PHD degree you will not make more than $35,000. So take advantage of the tuition waiver and get your degree while you work here.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Workplace like a Family
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 31, 2016
Each day is a great opportunity to learn something new. Coworkers are willing to help with any issues and treat you as if you are part of their family. The most enjoyable part of working with Career Services is being a part of the great events the office offers to the students.
Great place to work, learn and grow!
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 30, 2016
Very professional atmosphere with a nonstop day to day operation to keep you on your toes and productive throughout the day.

You will need to bring your "A" game to this fast paced environment where a high demand for service is the key to success.

Great work to life balance with plenty of family actives, as an employee you and your family get to use all the facilities as well.

The University places a big emphasis on TEAM work so what every your responsibility maybe, yes your work makes a differences and your part of the team that makes FIU successfully.

Great benefits for you and your family!!
Great place to grow
Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 24, 2016
Research and learning at FIU is a great way to grow ones personal and professional skills. The hands-on and can-do approach allows for leadership roles and independent thought while allowing for accountability.
Loved this job and company
Research Assistant (Android/Software Developer) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 18, 2016
They are just a great place to work. Friendly staff, and great compensation. Great benefits and awesome health insurance
Productive and fun workplace
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2016
Because we can enjoy every sunny day with beautiful clouds, it is a good place to do research. We collaborate with others to make huge progress and publish the work. I enjoy to discuss the work to get better idea.
Great hours and scheduling
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 11, 2016
I enjoy the scheduling and workload. Everyone treats you with respect and help out when necessary. Nice location and will work around your college classes.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no room for growth
Great place to learn and network
PLTL Quantitative Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 28, 2016
I work 20hours a week as a teaching assistant for PLTL which is a research group in Education. Specifically on how leaders in the program benefit in topics such leadership and critical thinking.

I work 20-30hours a week on my dissertation research which is on native and nonnative freshwater fish interactions in the Everglades. I am finishing up and mostly writing my dissertation. I hope to send out 4 papers for publication before I graduate in Fall 2016.

I manage 15 undergraduate volunteers in the PLTL program and help them with their research. I give them feedback on their writing, how to analyze data and their experimental design.

My co-workers are great and very helpful.
The hardest part of my job are the long hours. As an academic your job is never done and one can always keep working.

The most enjoyable part of my job in the networking and mentoring of all the people I have met at my time here.
Excellent University
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  MMCJuly 18, 2016
Multicultural environment, flexible hours for students who want to work and go to school part-time or full-time, friendly and knowledgable staff.
Productive, lively environment
FOUNDING PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 10, 2016
Great experience. Learned about curricum and education.
Learned about the accreditation process
Encouraged t complete education to highest level
Support team in publication and research
Access to it with hep
Time off on holidays, weekends, summers (if desired).
Co-workers-excellence in their fields.
Hardest part of job was new president and dean.
The best bart was making a difference.
Pros
A NEW ADVENTURE, WONDERFUL TEAM, LEARNING ENCOURAGED.
Cons
FAVORITES CHOSEN
Excellent and fun working environment
PeopleSoft HCM Techno-Functional Consultant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 20, 2016
I loved the break room get gatherings for Cuban coffee in the morning and afternoon. FIU gave me all the tools to be successful and was very sensitive to some personal travel needs I had. Even as a consultant, FIU included me in all their events. There were holiday luncheons, quarterly progress meetings where I was treated as an employee.
Pros
Creative flexibility. Morning gatherings for coffee.
The Beacon at FIU
Staff Writer/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 9, 2016
This job was available for students currently attending FIU. During my time there I was engaged with contacting persons to assemble interview sessions for articles I was assigned to write. I learned basic team management skills with fellow co-writers in the department. Communication among our team was a vital component that was necessary for arranging deadlines and for content that was consistently subject to change. The hardest part was trying to find necessary information before a deadline, especially when not being able to get in contact with someone to gather all the facts. I enjoyed the accomplishment of having the articles and photographs submitted and on time for publication. That brought me much satisfaction.
Pros
flexibility, writing for sections of preference, meeting others, gaining insight
Cons
not being able to meet with people sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida International University. Our community is ready to answer.