Florida International University Employee Reviews

Relaxed but very challenging environment.
Advanced Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee), Miami, FlJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Great experience for my major
Cons: Honestly no cons.
Since I am pursuing a mathematics major, tutoring at FIU has significantly helped me. I get to tackle math problems of all courses that are offered at the university. I benefit well because when I go to my classes I often utilize something that I helped someone with. I perform extremely well on my exams and I credit it to my supervisor who helps me when I need help in my upper level courses or students who need a simpler or broader explanation of the math concepts. My coworkers are amazing as well. They themselves tutor in different areas such as statistics, chemistry, physics, and writing. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you can honestly see the weight being removed from a student's shoulder who has been struggling with the material and they compliment you for being patient and helpful.
Great staff comfortable workspace
Assistant Director, Athlete Academic Center (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 18, 2015
friendly co-workers, great student-athletes. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students graduate. A typical day consists of meeting with on-campus staff, working with professors, coaches and student-athletes.
Great Place To Work
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Miami, flJuly 16, 2015
There is a lot of different people everyday which makes learn a lot about different cultures. Amazing co-workers, the management is great.
Good Working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FloridaJuly 15, 2015
Conducting research under a Professor from the Department of Public health, to gain more experience and knowledge about the workforce
Supervisor and coworkers made the job easier
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 11, 2015
The experience I gained from working as a student assistant for the Agroecology Program at Florida International University was rewarding and allowed me to grow as a person.
Great Institution
Grants Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FloridaJuly 11, 2015
Pros: independent work style
Cons: not a lot of opportunity for advancement
The staff and faculty were always friendly and outgoing. The management style was uplifting and positive and the benefits were good.
Good place
Research Assistant, CeSMEC Research Laboratory (Former Employee), MiamiJuly 10, 2015
Nice Experience to be in Academia.
though management of paper work is little slow but overall work experience is good.
Research and Development are plus points.
GOOD
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Chemistry and Biochemistry DepartmentJuly 9, 2015
Good university to develop the professional skills, such as hands-on experience with analytical instrumentation, critical thinking and communication skills
Excellent Company to work fro
Senior Secretary Facilities Department (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 7, 2015
Florida International University is one of the best institutions to work for. In addition to a comprehensive package of benefits, they also instill a very cohesive work environment, putting employees first at all times.
Student
Graduate Student (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Good Program
Cons: Management
Architecture Student_very intense study.

You have to be dedicated and diligent; you have to study on your own as regarding to software. The only offer AutoCAD beginner level and Maya which is mostly not favorable to the job market.
People at FIU are great to work with.
Hardware / Software Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 16, 2015
FIU does not compensate their employees as well as they need to. They make it difficult to advance. My co-workers and I worked extreamly well together.
Great
Visiting Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 16, 2015
Good,it depends on your supervisor. It is a nice place in Miami. The university grows fast recently, attract lot of students and faculties.
Professional Growth
Events Coordinator Office Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 15, 2015
In a typical day at work, I monitor, maintain, and supervise all events occurring to ensure the department is represented appropriately. I Insert events into our parking system, and scheduled staffing as needed. I Create operational plans and task lists for all events.

What I have learned in this position is how to lead by example and work with a staff. As a supervisor in the Events department, I've learned how to lead multiple personalities into reaching one common goal.

The most difficult part of my job has been relying on part time college students as our Events Staff. Sometimes college students do not have very flexible schedules.

The most enjoyable part about my job is acting as a liaison with other university departments’ event units to ensure the proper procedure is used when events are hosted and parking is needed.
Rewarding
Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FloridaJune 12, 2015
Working with students on different projects to not only raise money for Miami Children Hospital, but also have the students in charge grow by gaining leadership experience.
Good academic place
Visiting instructor (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 30, 2015
FIU has a very professional job culture. You are very comfortable working with professional co-workers.The management is very professional and gives you personal growth opportunities.
Great Place to Work
Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee), Miami, FlMay 27, 2015
FIU is a great place to work. The only downfall is that they don't offer top dollar but their benefits and work/life balance are highly looked upon.
My Experience at FIU
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FlMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: no advnacement
Great people but room for advancement is very limited. However the environment is very likeable and friendly. I enjoyed the relationships I built over there, but it's very difficult to advance.
Fun, fast paced, student-oriented
Guest Services Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work as a guest services assistant included answering various phone calls and transferring them to the proper department within the University. A typical day also included giving students, faculty and staff directions to various classroom locations and offices on campus.

My co-workers were all student staff so they were also my peers. It was cool to work on a job with my classmates. Management was resourceful, helpful and flexible when it came to working around our class schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with young adults / college students, and helping them find their way around campus. The hardest part was keeping up with all the phone calls and answering the challenging questions that some callers had.

I learned how to listen effectively to clients' requests, how to give accurate information, how to multitask and how to behave professionally as the center consultant of the University.
Challenging Experience
Member of National English Honor Society (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 26, 2015
Strong staff, dialectical focus on difficult issues concerning the conveyance of meaning and the formation of contemporary society. Encouraged deep personal thinking and foster inter-subjective communication skills through both argumentation and team-based learning exercises and projects.
Great academic environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: Layback
Cons: Budget can be quite limited
You work hard with no overtime, but management is flexible and try to compensate overtime with time off.

Great teaching environment, the professors are actually on campus for tutoring and research.