Florida International University

Florida International University Employee Reviews

Great
Visiting Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 16, 2015
Good,it depends on your supervisor. It is a nice place in Miami. The university grows fast recently, attract lot of students and faculties.
Professional Growth
Events Coordinator Office Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 15, 2015
In a typical day at work, I monitor, maintain, and supervise all events occurring to ensure the department is represented appropriately. I Insert events into our parking system, and scheduled staffing – more... as needed. I Create operational plans and task lists for all events.

What I have learned in this position is how to lead by example and work with a staff. As a supervisor in the Events department, I've learned how to lead multiple personalities into reaching one common goal.

The most difficult part of my job has been relying on part time college students as our Events Staff. Sometimes college students do not have very flexible schedules.

The most enjoyable part about my job is acting as a liaison with other university departments’ event units to ensure the proper procedure is used when events are hosted and parking is needed. – less
Rewarding
Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FloridaJune 12, 2015
Working with students on different projects to not only raise money for Miami Children Hospital, but also have the students in charge grow by gaining leadership experience.
Good academic place
Visiting instructor (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 30, 2015
FIU has a very professional job culture. You are very comfortable working with professional co-workers.The management is very professional and gives you personal growth opportunities.
Great Place to Work
Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee), Miami, FlMay 27, 2015
FIU is a great place to work. The only downfall is that they don't offer top dollar but their benefits and work/life balance are highly looked upon.
My Experience at FIU
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee), Miami, FlMay 27, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: no advnacement
Great people but room for advancement is very limited. However the environment is very likeable and friendly. I enjoyed the relationships I built over there, but it's very difficult to advance.
Fun, fast paced, student-oriented
Guest Services Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 27, 2015
A typical day at work as a guest services assistant included answering various phone calls and transferring them to the proper department within the University. A typical day also included giving students, – more... faculty and staff directions to various classroom locations and offices on campus.

My co-workers were all student staff so they were also my peers. It was cool to work on a job with my classmates. Management was resourceful, helpful and flexible when it came to working around our class schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with young adults / college students, and helping them find their way around campus. The hardest part was keeping up with all the phone calls and answering the challenging questions that some callers had.

I learned how to listen effectively to clients' requests, how to give accurate information, how to multitask and how to behave professionally as the center consultant of the University. – less
Challenging Experience
Member of National English Honor Society (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 26, 2015
Strong staff, dialectical focus on difficult issues concerning the conveyance of meaning and the formation of contemporary society. Encouraged deep personal thinking and foster inter-subjective communication skills through both argumentation and team-based learning exercises and projects.
Great academic environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: Layback
Cons: Budget can be quite limited
You work hard with no overtime, but management is flexible and try to compensate overtime with time off.

Great teaching environment, the professors are actually on campus for tutoring and research.
Great Benefits
Nurse (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 19, 2015
Enjoyed the work. Did no have job security. Supervisors were great. Hardest part of the job was dealing with coworkers who didnt want to work.
This was a peaceful and much needed work place
Secretarial desk assistent (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 17, 2015
Pros: proximity to classes
Cons: Low hours and rate
This was very beneficial to my class work and provided a good balance to my workload. The employees were very cordial and the hours were descent. The atmosphere allowed me to get any and everything task done on time!
FIU is a great environment
Applications Developer (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 13, 2015
Pros: credit hours to go back to school.
I have completed both my bachelors and masters degree from Florida International University and have worked at FIU in various departments for over 10 years. I have enjoyed working with the staff, faculties and students as they are all very friendly.
Very Good place to Work
Receptionist (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 13, 2015
I enjoyed working in the Department I was in. The manager were very understanding. if I did not understand something, my manger was always ready to help me .
University environment
Adjunct Faculty and Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 10, 2015
Focused work on there area of interest. Relative safe environment to innovate. Limited resources though. University is expanding very fast and so is having some growing pains.
Productive and educational workplace
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee), Miami, FLMay 9, 2015
The job environment at Florida International University was rewarding. I learned many effective mathematical instructional techniques for being a more efficient tutor.
I learned a lot by working there.It is fun to work in same university where you study.
Business analyst in Department of Internal Audit (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 5, 2015
Pros: Got oppurtunity to learn new things
I really love working in university.All the co workers are mostly auditors and my work is to build applications to make their reporting work easy.
Positive experience
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FlApril 26, 2015
flexible hours. A typical day would require me to edit hundreds of pages on photoshop. I would usually work with one co-worker.
Great working environment
Computer Lab Manager (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 24, 2015
Very easy going work environment. Enjoyed helping students with various tasks and compute based issues. Very accommodating and understanding when it comes to scheduling.
Lab Technician
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 16, 2015
Cons: distance from the green house to the university.
Florida International University provides great Biology courses and labs for their students. I was honored to help start a lab with my mentor which made me appreciate quality control of supplies in the – more... lab. My job requerired growing legumes which was less stressful than my previous lab projects. The greenhouse I worked in was located at Fair Child Garden which was quiet a drive from the University. – less
Productive and fun place to study and work
Intern (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 15, 2015