Florida International University Employee Reviews in United States

Great flexible place to work at for a college student.
Learning Assistant, Mathematic Department (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Amazing place to work with flexible work schedule that perfectly fits a college student's needs. Great coworkers and friendly environment with occasional events for the workers.
Cut-throat environment, Rife Favoritism
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 11, 2016
Depending on which department you work in FIU is very political. Typical unprofessional FL organization where favoritism is the order of the day. Overworked administrators, lazy professors who get promoted to management and then expect to work 4 hours a week. Extremely low pay.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Everything else
Excellent school to work for.
Employee Records Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 9, 2016
FIU just turned 50 years anniversary. It has grown tremendously and so has their student, faculty and staff population.

It is an awesome place to work for. Their benefit package is great. The potential for professional growth is good.
Pros
Excellent school, excellent employee benefits.
Cons
Cannot find anything negative to say.
not much positive to say
Graduate Assistant - Dept. of Computer Science (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 3, 2016
working there had little job stability and security as funding and budget cuts were very common . some very accomplished people were forced to leave due to poor management and a lot of turnover .
Pros
lots of seminars
Cons
poor management
Constructive and Learning
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 1, 2016
I can work from home which is comfortable for me. I spend most of my time helping and learning from the doubts the students have. I get to know a lot of different things which I have never learnt or seen before in my courses.

My co-workers are really helpful and very sweet. It is very nice to be there with them.

The hardest part is to see someone failing the test and could not do anything but just actually fail him.
Most enjoyable part is that my boss keep me busy so that I don't waste time and do something productive. He also shares his knowledge and his experiences which make me learn a lot.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
I cannot work for more than 20 hours.
Assistant Director, HRIS (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2016
Great place to work, stability is a big plus. Benefits package is very competitive. The opportunity to study for free is definitely one of the biggest competitive advantages FIU has over other employers.
Average place to work for
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2016
Difficult place to work as compensation is far below the cost of living need for the Miami area. Department has low moral and not a team oriented atmosphere.
Busy but could learn a lot
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 22, 2016
I learned a lot. Many seminar and conference opportunities. Co-workers are nice and friendly. I would recommend FIU to students.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Healthcare
Productive, Made me a better programmer
Advance software engineering, Database Management (Former Employee) –  FLJanuary 17, 2016
Al the project challenges were executed on time which made my project management skills stronger!

It was a new environment, which i could easily adapt to but it enhanced my professional behavior.
Excellent learning environment with lots of hands on experience.
Audio Engineer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 15, 2016
Excellent work environment. After a few weeks I was fully in charge of all technical requirements for events.

-Recorded orchestras
-Recorded jazz ensembles and soloists
-Recorded student recitals
-Mixed recordings for various school functions
Nice Environment and a lot of smart people
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 10, 2016
Very good and flexible schedule. You can go to work even at noon after a previous day party. This is the place where I acquired a lot of new skills and pushed my self to the best. Management is good, and meetings are frequent. Co-workers are all very smart and helpful, and you can really learn new things from them.
Productive and Fun Workplace with Learning Experience
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 17, 2015
Each day at work is an interesting opportunity to learn about what paths I can take for my future career. It helps me find resources to aid other students and myself. The environment allows me to work in a timely manner without feeling rushed and lets me do the work in the most productive way possible. It is overall, a great place for any student to work.
Great School, Great Jobs
Student Programming Council (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 4, 2015
Working for FIU's office of Housing and Residence Life as a Resident Assistant (RA) was a tremendous experience that taught me a lot about myself and my leadership style. I would recommend this job to anyone that is interested in hospitality, higher education, or leadership.
okay
Student Health Services (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 3, 2015
In terms of the customer service aspect of the job, you can expect the good and the bad. Glad to say I've had more good than bad when dealing with the students. Love my immediate coworkers and they've made my time here pleasant and bearable to say the most. On a greater scale, with respect to university politics, my biggest disappointment is in how employees are sometimes disregarded and not valued. That being said I have learned a lot working here and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Wonderful Organization
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 2, 2015
As a volunteer I was allowed to work with victims and learn more about the organization and its efforts. I also handled security efforts during auctions.
Office Assistant
Office Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 23, 2015
Best job ever, pretty much working with people that are students or people who have been through a college setting. It's a great place to work with if you like being in a very diverse area
productive workplace with amiable colleagues
enrollment services employee (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 17, 2015
Great colleagues, benefits, and professional development opportunities. Make sure to research your benefit options, especially as it relates to your retirement plans.
I Learned Something New Everyday
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 2, 2015
Exciting place to work.
Huge campus with a workforce with hearts to match
Unlimited room for growth
My co-workers were more like family; very loving and friendly environment
Pros
Lots of room for advancement
Cons
Commute.....AM traffic jams
Urban hip institution of higher education
Paralegal and Assistant Director, (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 27, 2015
Great place to work, teach, get an education. Extremely diverse student body; multi-cultural and multi-lingual; will never be bored at FIU.
Pros
young, hip, students, good education, great value, sports, near beaches
Cons
large, busy, noisy campus.
Fun, fast-paced, and intellectually stimulating.
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 27, 2015
Great place to work, study, and interact with students! Research in Biomedical Sciences at FIU is growing quickly at FIU and demands dedicated hard-working scientific faculty and support staff. Work environment is as challenging as it is fun.
Pros
Growing and fast-paced environment
Cons
Funding.....and growing, fast-paced environment

4.3