Florida International University

Florida International University Employer Reviews

Fast growing
Research Graduate Assistant - Research, SQL, PHP (Former Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 5, 2013
Young university and gives wide scope to explore.
Multi-cultural working experience.
Great experience
Student Associate Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 4, 2013
Great people and atmosphere. Greats an environment in which the employee is eager and excited to work.
FIU can be a great place to conduct research when working with the right team
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 29, 2013
Extensive research capabilities with great networking potential. However, it is not the most organized place to work.
A good place to improve my study ability
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 21, 2013
Familiar with using Financial software to collect data
Organized in helping professor to manage his teaching work
Productive and fun environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 19, 2013
It would change day to day but overall it was a fun place to work depending on the co-workers.
Productive successful tenure was a 24/7 daily operations.
DEFENSIVE LINE COACH (Former Employee), Miami, FLAugust 7, 2013
Pros: love what i did.
Cons: didn't much of my family.
Coached and developed the fundamentals and techniques of defensive line play with a defensive scheme. Self scouted and scouted ourselves and opponents to improve our defensive schematics/personnel and configure tendencies of formations competition during the season.
Great place to work at while enrolled in school.
Sr. Fiscal Assistant / Accounting Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLJuly 31, 2013
Pros: tuition waiver, discounts, and health benefits
Cons: non-profit, the pay is less then what you would normally get at a private company
FIU is a great place to work at during your enrollment at school. There are numerous advantages ranging from tuition reimbursement to convenience of walking from work to class. I learned much during my tenure at FIU and had the opportunity to work alongside great people from all over the world.
Great teaching experience and atmosphere
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Miami, FLJuly 31, 2013
FIU has given me the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while completing my PhD. I have had exposure to both face-to-face and fully online classroom management, which has challenged me to hone my leadership and public speaking skills.
Exciting place to work and learn
Military Science Instructor (Current Employee), Miami, FLJuly 20, 2013
Pros: excellent learning facilities
Florida International University, Miami, FL
Facilitates, lectures college students on Leadership Traits and Characteristics
Responsible for Career Counseling, Leadership Training and assessments
Manages classroom curriculum and instructions; evaluates student performance
Assists Recruiting Operation Officer in student retention and recruitment
Coordinate – more... Commissioning Ceremonies and conducts community relations
activities
Recruitment Specialist – less
Great place to work with an amazing atmosphere
Research Technician (Former Employee), Miami, FlJuly 18, 2013
A good place to get experience surround by great people. A good place to network and explore different career paths.
Graduate Research Assistant, (Current Employee), Miami, FLJuly 13, 2013
Good Public University.. encouraging faculty, good funding.
Great benefits
Financial Aid Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 11, 2013
Pros: health insurance, paid vacation, and students
Cons: job advancement
FIU has great health insurance options and paid vacation. It is fun to work with students and help them accomplish their educational goals. The job duties were very easy but I prefer a job that is more challenging and has room for advancement.
Fun and productive
Receptionist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 1, 2013
Pros: free snacks
Cons: part-time no benefits
No complaints. I worked part time during classes. It was very flexible. They are very considerate for classes and tests.
Productive and fun workplace
CI-PIRE Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 26, 2013
Pros: able to schedule time, independent.
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work would be picking up mail. Checking messages, scheduling meetings. Talking to coworkers. Reading and checking up on students participating in program. Updating the PIRE website.
Help Professor deal with teaching and studying business
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 26, 2013
Acquiring important financial data for study
Grading students work and manage them
Editing references for professor's article
Awesome place low salaries
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 17, 2013
Pros: beneftis
Cons: salaries
benefits are great but salaries are low - atmosphere is good but the salary is just too low
N/A
Intern (Former Employee), RISEPJune 12, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
N/A since I was never employee; however, I did worked with University policies and procedures as a student and interned for the Research Institute for Social and Economic Policy (RISEP).
Student Assistant all over the office.
FIU Student Financials Student Office Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 10, 2013
Administrative Duties: Monitored incoming wire payments and determined which accounts they went to. Assisted students with reinstatements when classes were dropper due to non-payment.
Technical Duties: Maintained logs of payments. Worked the cashier counter in charge of large payments and deposits at the end of the business day.
Extensive Environmental Analysis Laboratory
Microbiology Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 1, 2013
Comprehensive analyses of natural water samples from numerous regions in South Florida.
Good infrastructure and funding, just novices
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), University Park CampusMay 26, 2013
Pros: infrastructure, funds
Cons: not so cutting edge in research work.
Well to do university still coming up to terms with respect to ensuring job security for students and cutting edge research.

May 29, 2013

The work place environment lacks proper structure and lacks management. It is a "free for all" depending on who is the biggest academic bully in town. They state in the job description the hours you work are supposed to M-F 8:30-5; however, I found they would send work request on holidays. For example; I received a request on Christmas eve with a deadline on Christmas day. I have been asked to work on Veteran's Day. This deeply offended me as I come from a military family that has represented this country in every major war going back to the American Revolution. There is no one to address these concerns to and not even with their Human Resources. You will find them to be inept. On a different topic; and equally important is the compensation package. It is TERRIBLE! With regards to Health Care Options: It is like a patchwork quilt. You choose one provider for dental; then a separate for health;...Ooh, and then there is yet another provider to choose for eye care;... Ooh; wait; well if you want Short Term Disability or Long Term Disability that is yet another provider;...Ooh; okay well if you want life insurance; yup that is someone else too. So; after you have selected everything. You will have received 20 different packets from 20 different vendors and heaven forbid when you need to use the services; you will have to try and figure out just which 800 number to call and which deductible to apply. Ohh....and wait; try not to get sick because the hospital boogie man bill collector will send you a statement 9 months after the event to collect $3.84 cents because the plan does not cover it... By the way; My monthly health insurance cost went from $35(from one provider all inclusive with previous employer) to over $150 with FIU. That means during a period of a year; my additional cash outlay is $1200. In addition; FIU automatically deducts 3% from your payroll to contribute towards your retirement planning.The salary they quote you does not account for this. In short, plan that your compensation is 97% of what they quote in their ads. You are not informed of this until you go to the interview process and offered a job and attend the HR introduction to FIU. This is glossed over with three different investment plans intended to confuse you. Just pay attention to the details and work through the numbers.... Also, FIU fails to inform you up front you will need to pay for your own parking on campus and you have to pay for one whole year regardless of whether you are employed the whole year. This expense is another approximate $570. I can not suggest an alternative for this issue. If you are deeply considering a position with FIU in any capacity; demand compensation at least 35% more than what they post for the position you are considering .After all the line items are deducted from your payroll; your compensation should more or less even out. ( Also account for your retirement planning) Try to negotiate a one or two year employment guarantee before leaving your current position. If you have a Smart Phone; you can Down Load a Free App Called " FL Salaries" . It provides the salaries of everyone that works at the University. You can locate the salaries of anyone by name and position of Clerks to the Deans. I made the mistake of trusting an 'institution name'. Also, I learned the hard way that what they offered came with strings attached! It turned out to be about 40% less than what I made with my previous employer. Make sure before accepting the position; everyone is very clear on the work days and the start and end times. Even though it was in writing, my position was suppose to be M-F 8-5:30, the work load demanded 60 to 80 hours weekly in what I consider terrible conditions. All the Best and Good Luck in your Career Decision!