Florida International University

Florida International University Employer Reviews

Great place to work with an amazing atmosphere
Research Technician (Former Employee), Miami, FlJuly 18, 2013
A good place to get experience surround by great people. A good place to network and explore different career paths.
Graduate Research Assistant, (Current Employee), Miami, FLJuly 13, 2013
Good Public University.. encouraging faculty, good funding.
Great benefits
Financial Aid Coordinator (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 11, 2013
Pros: health insurance, paid vacation, and students
Cons: job advancement
FIU has great health insurance options and paid vacation. It is fun to work with students and help them accomplish their educational goals. The job duties were very easy but I prefer a job that is more challenging and has room for advancement.
Fun and productive
Receptionist (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 1, 2013
Pros: free snacks
Cons: part-time no benefits
No complaints. I worked part time during classes. It was very flexible. They are very considerate for classes and tests.
Productive and fun workplace
CI-PIRE Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 26, 2013
Pros: able to schedule time, independent.
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work would be picking up mail. Checking messages, scheduling meetings. Talking to coworkers. Reading and checking up on students participating in program. Updating the PIRE website.
Help Professor deal with teaching and studying business
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 26, 2013
Acquiring important financial data for study
Grading students work and manage them
Editing references for professor's article
Awesome place low salaries
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 17, 2013
Pros: beneftis
Cons: salaries
benefits are great but salaries are low - atmosphere is good but the salary is just too low
N/A
Intern (Former Employee), RISEPJune 12, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
N/A since I was never employee; however, I did worked with University policies and procedures as a student and interned for the Research Institute for Social and Economic Policy (RISEP).
Student Assistant all over the office.
FIU Student Financials Student Office Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 10, 2013
Administrative Duties: Monitored incoming wire payments and determined which accounts they went to. Assisted students with reinstatements when classes were dropper due to non-payment.
Technical Duties: Maintained logs of payments. Worked the cashier counter in charge of large payments and deposits at the end of the business day.
Extensive Environmental Analysis Laboratory
Microbiology Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 1, 2013
Comprehensive analyses of natural water samples from numerous regions in South Florida.
Good infrastructure and funding, just novices
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), University Park CampusMay 26, 2013
Pros: infrastructure, funds
Cons: not so cutting edge in research work.
Well to do university still coming up to terms with respect to ensuring job security for students and cutting edge research.

LearnFromMyMistake – May 29, 2013

The work place environment lacks proper structure and lacks management. It is a "free for all" depending on who is the biggest academic bully in town. They state in the job description the hours you work are supposed to M-F 8:30-5; however, I found they would send work request on holidays. For example; I received a request on Christmas eve with a deadline on Christmas day. I have been asked to work on Veteran's Day. This deeply offended me as I come from a military family that has represented this country in every major war going back to the American Revolution. There is no one to address these concerns to and not even with their Human Resources. You will find them to be inept. On a different topic; and equally important is the compensation package. It is TERRIBLE! With regards to Health Care Options: It is like a patchwork quilt. You choose one provider for dental; then a separate for health;...Ooh, and then there is yet another provider to choose for eye care;... Ooh; wait; well if you want Short Term Disability or Long Term Disability that is yet another provider;...Ooh; okay well if you want life insurance; yup that is someone else too. So; after you have selected everything. You will have received 20 different packets from 20 different vendors and heaven forbid when you need to use the services; you will have to try and figure out just which 800 number to call and which deductible to apply. Ohh....and wait; try not to get sick because the hospital boogie man bill collector will send you a statement 9 months after the event to collect $3.84 cents because the plan does not cover it... By the way; My monthly health insurance cost went from $35(from one provider all inclusive with previous employer) to over $150 with FIU. That means during a period of a year; my additional cash outlay is $1200. In addition; FIU automatically deducts 3% from your payroll to contribute towards your retirement planning.The salary they quote you does not account for this. In short, plan that your compensation is 97% of what they quote in their ads. You are not informed of this until you go to the interview process and offered a job and attend the HR introduction to FIU. This is glossed over with three different investment plans intended to confuse you. Just pay attention to the details and work through the numbers.... Also, FIU fails to inform you up front you will need to pay for your own parking on campus and you have to pay for one whole year regardless of whether you are employed the whole year. This expense is another approximate $570. I can not suggest an alternative for this issue. If you are deeply considering a position with FIU in any capacity; demand compensation at least 35% more than what they post for the position you are considering .After all the line items are deducted from your payroll; your compensation should more or less even out. ( Also account for your retirement planning) Try to negotiate a one or two year employment guarantee before leaving your current position. If you have a Smart Phone; you can Down Load a Free App Called " FL Salaries" . It provides the salaries of everyone that works at the University. You can locate the salaries of anyone by name and position of Clerks to the Deans. I made the mistake of trusting an 'institution name'. Also, I learned the hard way that what they offered came with strings attached! It turned out to be about 40% less than what I made with my previous employer. Make sure before accepting the position; everyone is very clear on the work days and the start and end times. Even though it was in writing, my position was suppose to be M-F 8-5:30, the work load demanded 60 to 80 hours weekly in what I consider terrible conditions. All the Best and Good Luck in your Career Decision!

• Implemented a component for Apache VCL (Virtual Computing Lab) project which automatically deploys user customized network topologies among multiple
Research Assistant (Former Employee), MiamiMay 19, 2013
worked on interesting projects.
• Thesis: “Approaches to Provisioning Network Topology of Virtual Machines in Cloud Systems”
• PIRE scholarship (Partnerships for International Research and Education) from National Science Foundation.
• Wrote a component for Apache VCL (Virtual Computing Lab) project which allows users to have a customized network topology – more... among multiple virtual machines. This component has a web user interface in PHP, HTML and JavaScript, MySql database for storing information and Perl Backend for communication among VCL Management systems, VMware ESX and Open Vswitch.
• Developed a flexible JAVA application for managing and fault recovery of virtual machines in a customized network topology. This application is adoptable to different cloud managers such as VMware, Xen and OpenNebula. – less
Exiting place to work and meet new people.
Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 16, 2013
My typical day at work revolves around taking calls and assisting customers resetting their passwords and ensure they are able to access our system. I also provide network troubleshooting for mobile devices such as iPhones and Android powered devices. The most enjoyable part of my job are my co-workers; we work as a team and support each other, especially – more... during heavy calls volume. – less
Great benefits but department can make or break experience.
Operations & Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLMay 16, 2013
Pros: good hours, pay, and benefits.
Cons: management
Great opportunities and learning experiences but be careful how willing you are to stay in one position for too long.
everything is politic
Main Plumber (Former Employee), North Miami, FLMay 11, 2013
The hold system is corrupt, everything is politics, is not what you know, but who you know as must jobs are taken by people with no knowledge or experience on the job.

Pretty much majority of people in there not even have the come on sense to fix or resolve any problems.
Graduate Assistant
Architecture Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 20, 2013
The best part of my job is working with the students and being able to teach them and also learn from them as well. Another perk to this position is working with the professors at Florida International University.
Good
Associate Director, Career Management Services (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 17, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: parking
Good place. At times forward thinking and at times bureaucratic.
a great place to work
Coordinator of Administrative Services (Current Employee), Miami, FLApril 4, 2013
Pros: tuition waiver
FIU is a wonderful place to work, they are flexible and its more a family environment. Working here has allowed me to get my degree and continue to move forward with a masters.
Student Assignment
Records Clerk/ Student Intern (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 21, 2013
Exposed to different jobs within different fields; Human resources, police department, and parking and transportation
Diversity
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Miami, FLMarch 20, 2013
Pros: location in miami, a beautiful city.
The university is a vibrant, student-centered public research university. And you could meet a lot of international students from all over the world. The management is not that high efficient.