Florida Rock & Tank Lines Employee Reviews

Florid Rock & Tank Lines
I drop gas off at different stores (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 20, 2017
I like working there a lot but I didn't like how they do driver some of the driver get punished on things they do and some don't but I like working there it was nice and you but out socialize with people and customer getting to know them well and learn different things and you can go to different towns and see different things and you don't know what time you be getting off but that's was ok and they had there picks and chooses on loads and that wasn't fair to me that's something I didn't like.
Drivers treated like kids not professionals
Driver (Former Employee) –  Georgia, SavannahFebruary 9, 2017
Any mistake or accident that happen at any terminal that florida rock had which was many throughout the south was all drivers fault, where you lost time because of what someone else did at another terminal
many miles away. Employment turnaround very high so your schedule always changed to ensure that customers was not neglected.
Pros
Excellent equptment
Cons
Not a good balance of work and family life
Company culture is horrible
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was miserable. Uneducated and dramatic kids are running the company as managers. The upper management is just as bad for allowing the work environment to be what it is. I would never reccommend working at this place. Waste of time, effort, and a complete joke. the company doesn't want to improve it just wants to maintain space.
Pros
Cons
Everything you can think of
Excellent company with great benefits
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 21, 2016
This company is solid and financially healthy. The Dispatch function was a challange but in a positive wy that allow me to feel proud of my job performance. The senioir management ws very supportive and concerned with employee needs and well being.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Schedules were sometimes hard and at odd hours
Good Company
Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 2, 2016
Florida Rock is a good company in a highly demanding industry. The people I work with are very good at their job and easy to work with. The work/life balance is not there. The hardest part of the job is the stress.
Pros
Good benefits
Caring co-workers
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 17, 2016
Hauling gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and kerosene to various locations. I learned that all gasoline come from the same place and is virtually the same.Management were helpful when you needed help. Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed. The hardest part of the job was lugging the hoses and couplings to dispense the product. The enjoyable part was meeting new people and providing a service to the public.
Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 17, 2016
I was hired at the Chattanooga, TN terminal August 2016 after 2 years OTR with another company. They told me training would be from 4-6 weeks. I made plenty progress despite the fact that I felt poorly trained. For example, my trainer would just do the loading and unloading without baby stepping me through the process or even talking to me period, so therefore if I didn't ask questions I wouldn't know anything. Once I started to catch on and do the job myself, he made me feel like I was being rushed. He stood over my shoulder every second which is annoying. He also did 95% of the driving. But eventually I still learned a lot, I got evaluated and carded at 3 facilities successfully. At the end of my fifth week, I got evaluated by another trainer (we did 1 load). So I thought I was good and was about to get assigned a truck. The next day the manager sat me down and terminated me. Said I wasn't "a fit for the company". Which I believe is not a logical reason. I tried not to pull a "because I'm black" card, but if I'm going to work everyday on time and making progress, told that I'm making progress weekly, conducting myself professionally and well groomed, then I don't understand the problem. And even if they felt that I wasn't ready then just give me another week or 2 of training! Now I'm back to square 1 unemployed with bills and a newborn.
Pros
Hired easily and quickly because the turnover rate is horrible
The struggle is real
Gas Hauler/ Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 3, 2016
Augusta Terminal is a real joke. The Terminal manager
is clueless about the trucking industry and cares for no one but himself. He can't even get his dispatches correct much less,the payroll. The struggle there is truly unbelieveable. It is now a Terrible place to work because of one person The TM.
The equipment is junk, you will NEVER get paid correctly and The Home Office doesn't care as long as they get their money.
Pros
you learn how to work with junk.
Cons
the augusta TM is the biggest con of all
hard work with great outcomes
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 16, 2016
i was in charge of 8 concrete drivers and 3 block delivery drivers to insure good customer service and prompt deliveries of concrete and block,i was a forklift trainer that was responsible for maintaining employee certifications, also trainer for front loader certifications. this was a great career with lots of benefits and growing potential,hardest part of this job was the layoffs after 8 years of service due to housing market
Pros
great benefits, awesome pay, good employees
Cons
lay offs
This company caters to their favorites
Fuel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 14, 2016
I thought this was a great company when i started working there, but after 6 month's you really got to see what it was all about. Management only cares about themselves and their own advancement. With a young boy 25 yrs. Old running a company with grown men threatening drivers constantly, it creates issues of job security and lack of respect for the people that makes that company money. Also they expect you to work 12 -14 hrs.a day as if you didnt have a life. By far the worst environment ever, rumors, lies,low pay , $850 a week guarantee, but it comes with all kinds of stipulations. If you decide to quit ..take all your vacation time and make sure you get your bonuses or they will surely srcew you out of it. Why did i ever work for them!!! NO ONE HAS THE DRIVER'S BEST INTERESTS IN MIND OR HAS THEIR BACK. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE and good luck.
Pros
$1500 sign on bonus
Cons
Low wages, very poor manager with no people skills of any kind.
Constant Struggle
Driver (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 29, 2016
The drivers get the short end of the stick when it comes to pay and hours worked. The Terminal Manager doesn't have the respect from the workforce. He also works " from home " a lot and is unseen at the office. This was a good place to work but its all done on the premise that if you're a certain type of person you can make a little better than the next guy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Managemen, dipatch, pay, work life balance, descrimination toward whites
Terrible management
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 16, 2016
Management is terrible. No professionalism or accountability. Human resources is not following up and doesn't assist with issues or listen to the employees.
Countless complaints left unanswered.
Pay is terrible!
Good home life no money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Doraville, GAJune 10, 2016
Excellent if u wanna go back to school just dont expect working equipment horrible gossip lies upon lies upon more lies out of doraville ga terminal breakdown after breakdown no communication at all between drivers and management and dispatch horrible experience but i did get to know my family very well we spent a lot of time at home together after i left work early im ready to leave this place
Pros
Home time
Cons
Low pay horrible equipment no communication no money
Not an ethical company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2016
Company champions rule breakers and will enter derogatory info on your DAC even if your a stellar employee.. BEWARE..
Seems like management does not necessarily want good employees and is small enough that everyone has moved up thru the ranks. Company regurally talk about employees that have been killed performing their jobs.

If you enter their training program .. The trainer gets 35% more per load/run. This creates problems in that most rookies don't get the proper training and usually have accidents or issues within the first 6 months of employment. Their training program is mostly dependant of the trainer..Mgmt says the have an outline to follow. My trainer drove 100℅ of the time and I had to train for 3 months..
Pros
12 to 14 hours 6 days a week
Cons
Poor Management, Tractor and trailers are not safe, if an employee can pull out from under the rack attached to the load head..there is a problem.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 5, 2016
The work life balance is not what I would call great however there are opportunities to grow if desired. The pay is for the most part competitive. Management works hard to do what's best for their employees.
Full of promise, doesn't deliver
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 27, 2016
The most negative place I have ever been associated with. If you aren't a driver, be prepared to carry a phone 24 hours a day, work 7 days a week, be berated if you suggest you may need a day off. You are expected to read and answer emails whenever you are awake. Your phone will become your new wife/husband. There is no backup if you are sick or take vacation. They offer advancement, but it's really just a new city to do the same thing.
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
No personal life
starting place if your new to fuel tAnker work
Driver (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 28, 2016
Worked in Tampa. Long hours about 600 to 650 a week. Bad management. Never believe what bob tells you there. Dispatch is over worked and do what they can. They do have favorites what company dispatch doesn't. New highers get night hours until they have a year under you.
Pros
not really any
Cons
long hours, not enough money, strain on people who have family
Safety
druck driver (Former Employee) –  White Springs, FLJanuary 26, 2016
At this company is a safty driven operation they teach you there is a difference in being a good truck handler from becoming a good employee,a good truck handler is a guy that can maneuver a truck well.But a good employee is one that consider everything from the begining safety check to final protrip inspection.
Don't waste your time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 5, 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for!
Required information is not provided to the drivers.

I would not recommend to anyone.
long way to go
Operations / Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 30, 2015
Company does not focus on what can be accomplished in a realistic manner. Key component to this is to ensure there are enough drivers to do the job before quoting new lanes of business. Driver retention is the central focus but very little is done to have quality management to keep them. Most terminal mangers are unlearned with very little experience while experienced personnel are held at dispatcher or dispatch supervisor roles to protect those "chosen" to fill manager positions. There is very little work/life balance due to each terminal being understaffed purposely to save a buck. There is a central dispatch and centralized night dispatch but most are inexperienced and afraid to make decisions causing several calls per night to day personnel and supervision. Very little money is invested into terminal property and buildings. Most terminal buildings are outdated and in need of repair and decent office furniture. How can you expect for a dispatcher to sit at a desk for 12 hours with a chair that won't remain upright and ergonomically unfriendly Vietnam Era desks?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Florida Rock & Tank Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8