FLORIDA ROCK and TANK LINES Employee Reviews in United States

Not an ethical company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2016
Company champions rule breakers and will enter derogatory info on your DAC even if your a stellar employee.. BEWARE..
Seems like management does not necessarily want good employees and is small enough that everyone has moved up thru the ranks. Company regurally talk about employees that have been killed performing their jobs.

If you enter their training program .. The trainer gets 35% more per load/run. This creates problems in that most rookies don't get the proper training and usually have accidents or issues within the first 6 months of employment. Their training program is mostly dependant of the trainer..Mgmt says the have an outline to follow. My trainer drove 100℅ of the time and I had to train for 3 months..
Pros
12 to 14 hours 6 days a week
Cons
Poor Management, Tractor and trailers are not safe, if an employee can pull out from under the rack attached to the load head..there is a problem.
Safety
druck driver (Former Employee) –  White Springs, FLJanuary 26, 2016
At this company is a safty driven operation they teach you there is a difference in being a good truck handler from becoming a good employee,a good truck handler is a guy that can maneuver a truck well.But a good employee is one that consider everything from the begining safety check to final protrip inspection.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 5, 2016
The work life balance is not what I would call great however there are opportunities to grow if desired. The pay is for the most part competitive. Management works hard to do what's best for their employees.
Teamwork Enviorments
Driver (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAJune 19, 2012
Worked long hours, with great benifits. While I enjoyed the great weekends, off with my family.
Pros
excellent income
Cons
excessivly long hours
Worst company ever
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 6, 2015
There is a reason this company is known among the industry as Florida Rock & Roll. They treat their drivers like less than dirt and management will lie through their teeth when they are caught in breaking a company rule or policy.

From the first day they hire you, they will begin looking for reasons to fire you. Tampa location is the worst. Managers are always telling drivers to just be honest and tell the truth if they make a mistake, but when the tables are turned, they will tell nothing but lies over and over.

They want you to "live" Florida Rock 24/7 and you will be spoken to and treated like you are nothing. Worst company I have ever worked for. Stay away.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything
consistent and stable work place
Tanker Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 31, 2015
Company delivers petroleum and chemicals always in demand from consumers. Daily routine included loaded and unload gasoline in various gas station. Chemical loads were load and loaded at various facilities as ordered by customer.
Great positive environment with many challenges.
Fuel Transporter (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 5, 2013
Good company to work for. Good pay. Looooooong hours. Think about the strain on family before applying. Other than that, it was a good experience. Trainers and management were professional and knowledgeable.
Pros
alot of training
Cons
long hours, low pay (in the beginning), family strain
Bad Place to work for
Fuel Tank Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 3, 2012
low pay for hours work. mangment, dispatch most of the time have know ideal what there doing. you have to fight to get equiment repair
Pros
hate to say it but they took them alway
Cons
low pay long hours, safty gone they only do what prevent fine, not driver safety
Get experience and go
Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 24, 2014
FL Rock bought out the company i used to work for ,Pipeline Transportation. An offer was made to all Pipeline drivers and more than half of the drivers left the same week the buyout was announced. Those that stayed were promised nothing was going to change in the next 90 days, less than 15 days later all changed. Drivers that stayed took a $250 a week pay cut just to have a job.

Fl Rock in Orlando,FL is considered "the learning company" They hire anybody because nobody wants to work for such a low weekly pay for long hours. Drivers that have no fuel experience will start here and after the completion of training then they will apply for the company they really want to work for and leave.
Dispatch is either done from Tampa or Jacksonville and most of the dispatchers have no experience not only of the area but the drivers and dont care how far or close the customer is as long as they move the load ending with the driver on the road for 10 or 13 hrs and making $100 for that day.

Dispatchers have there favorites so if you are not in that list you will get the bottom of the barrel loads that dont pay much.

In overall FLR is a good company to start and get experience with and then jump to a more secure and better paying company. They supply uniforms but no boots, pay is really low for the fuel industry. Take home pay around $600 for a 60 hr week.
At the end you make more an hr at Mickey Ds that you do here.
Pros
good pay during training
Cons
long hrs low pay.
felt like a robot
driver (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 12, 2015
didn't get paid sick leave.didnt have choice in my work schedule.hard to get weekends off.some drivers drove about 400 miles a day.seems like office people came in about 9 a.m. but left by 3 p.m. but some drivers worked 60 hours and more in a week.60+ hour weeks to much.didnt seem like a driver could ever move up out of the driver seat.felt like social security number should not be used for passwords or driver id numbers.didnt seem like there was education or training.pay by load and some drivers seem to get the better pay loads more often than some other drivers and that made it dog eat dog.pay didnt seem like it was enough for the long hours and labor.need a strong back because labor is physical.some drivers got different truck and trailer a lot.sometimes had to wait for truck and seemed like there is not enough trucks.work outside in all type of weather.some drivers seem sad and disappointed.some drivers want honesty from office people.seemed like driver got less respect than office people get.driver should be paid $30 hour.when driver has premium or diesel plus unleaded driver should be paid extra for each extra product they got to drop.need to let driver say when they want to work and how many hours they want to work.driver need more paid vacation.driver need a way to move out of the driver seat.too many rumors going around and made it feel like high school.all this how I feel anyhow.
Pros
willing to train when they hire driver. most drivers have 2 days off in a row.
Cons
driver seem sad.pay.vacation policy.
A day at Florida Rock and Tank Lines
Petroleum Driver (Current Employee) –  Bainbridge, GAJanuary 28, 2014
I don't have to deal with management because I am a driver they hand me my loads I pull them and go home. As long as I pull my loads in a safe and timely manner I have no issues. The most enjoyable part of this job is I am independent and on my own to get the job done that way I know its done right and if not their is no one to blame but myself
Pros
i am pretty much my own boss
Cons
6 days a week 12 hours a day
this company can not be trusted
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 11, 2012
This company is a thief. You work and think you will be paid for it. WRONG you have to continualy check your pay for loads they did not pay for, split not paid for, 6 day pay not paid for. They tell you you'll make 50,000+, think again. Maybe 25,000 to 30,000.
Cons
work your behind off for nothing, with no appreciation
good company long hours
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 8, 2012
Never the same day, constantly probleming solving, not enough manangement
Cons
long hours always on call
Enjoyed the job except the new mgmt
Transportation Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 10, 2013
I loved the people I worked with and enjoyed the job knowing that I was helping people become employed. My manager left to move to another company and the new Manager they hired didn't have a working knowledge of Transportation and I believe she was just young and inexperienced
Well put together
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 25, 2014
Lawson was a well balanced work place with great people that would help you in any way they could.
Pros
well organized
Cons
worked weekends
no time off
terminal manager (Former Employee) –  Rock, FLJanuary 25, 2013
Works dispatchers 50 or more hours a week for very low pay, on call 24 hours must manage drivers that do not want to listen and have all the power