Florida State College

Florida State College Employer Reviews

Good luck
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: pay is decent
Cons: no support, disorganized, unresponsive
If you're a full-time employee maybe this is a great place to work, but if you're an adjunct then good luck and hope they give you a course shell. Otherwise you get zero guidelines, and almost no guidance or feedback on how to design your class or what they expect of you. I got, "pick a book, and make sure the grade total adds up to 1000 points."
The staff at the Deerwood campus are disorganized and flighty, and seem to have little idea of what they're doing. I've sent emails to people and had it take over a week before I got a response (not even an, "I got your message and I'm working on it" acknowledgement). They have several different places to go to for information, all of them difficult to navigate and none of them easily searchable. They take down the software for whole weekends, so you and your class are unable to access Blackboard, email, etc. at just the time when you are most likely to need the access. Basically, I've had a horrible experience and have gotten my resume together because as soon as I can replace this job I'm out of here.
Giving back to fellow students
Note Taker/Tutor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great people, great work
Cons: no health benefits, no work over 20 hours, minimum wage pay
Beginning a typical day as a Notetaker/Tutor starts with the students themselves. I go to their classes with them, take the notes they need. I also meet with them after class if they need a tutor; if i'm qualified in the area of need. I learn a lot in my line of work, because I'm in different classes which means different subjects. My co-workers are smart and fun people, I enjoy working with them when I do. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I have helped a student reach their goals, pass their classes, or given advice, etc, The hardest part of my job is when a student gives up and no longer tries because of college frustrations, it saddens me to see them give up.
Fast paced and always learning
Student Success Advisor- Student Success Center (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 6, 2014
Since higher education is always fluid, adapting to change is essential to succeeding. There is an enrollment of over 57,000 students and the students we serve come from all different kinds of backgrounds.
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching others succeed and better their lives with a degree.
The staff are hardworking individuals who have a passion leading the way for a generation of educated leaders.
The hardest part of the job is the abundance of students with the very limited amount of staff. Although it is tough, it is manageable because we are all here for the same goal.
Student Assistant - Dean of Career Education (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2014
Pros: part time flexible schedule
Cons: no benefits for students
I got the opportunity to work with instructors and students alike whether in person or via telephone.
A typical day would be my phone ringing while an upset student came in with a complaint, then a none English speaking student came in looking for their recruiter and an instructor is looking for material that had been ordered....in that I had to prioritize quickly defusing the situation with student then answer the question with person on phone transferring them to proper department or taking message for admin assist.
school
LPN Program (Former Employee), jacksonville, flOctober 27, 2014
this was not a place of employment only where i took classes o further my education. overall not a bad school however there are definitely some things that can be improved when it comes to making it easier to apply for programs and getting a response back from someone when you have a question or concern.
Good Place to work
Test Proctor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 20, 2014
I like working for the college, it gives an opportunity to meet new people on an everyday basis. Also it allows me to go to school for free and further my education.
security
Disability services specialist (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaSeptember 27, 2014
security logging, data entry, access control, daily walking patrols, customer interaction, and problem solving.
Each Job taught me something to remember.
Prep-Cook (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 25, 2014
J. T. A. allowed me to learn the city of Jacksonville, to meet people from all walks of life I never would have mat other wise. The work was very fast and you had to be forcus and on time. The hardest part was learning the new areas each week. The best part was having other co-workers telling me I could do it the job. The US Postal Service help me to understand that I enjoyed sale more than being in a building all day. This work was also fast and my co-workers were much younger and faster; the enjoyable part for me was when I left. Direct Sale's was and is a hard job with great rewards all around. The people you meet everyday and the income it gives. Supervisor of Elections showed me I was a very good leader. Working with the public and teaching a staff how to help other through the voting process. This was the most enjoyable part of this job.
Organized, Office job
Student Worker (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 23, 2014
It was my very first time working in an office and I must say it is my favorite job so far. It was a work study job through my college and I really benefited from that job. A typical day I was on a computer for majority of the time. But because it was so much to do I didn't mind. I always had work that needed to be done so I never got bored. The whole job was enjoyable. The women I worked with were wonderful also.
Great place to learn and work
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 15, 2014
Helping students out with Spanish was very rewarding. It was not just about helping out but also learning too.
Enjoyable Environment
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 30, 2014
As a tutor at Florida State College at Jacksonville, you are given the opportunity to exercise the things you have learned by teaching others. They work around your schedule and give you access to whatever resources you will need in order to perform or carry out your work. The staff is very friendly and they really do care for you and the people you are helping.
Fun & Enjoyable Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 23, 2014
Pros: the people & environment
This was my first retail job at the school. Face to face customer is something I love as well as on the phone because regardless, you can help people in need. I learned to be patient with people & know that everyone is not the same. Even though it was just temporary, I enjoyed my experience.
Calm work area
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 16, 2014
Entering data, cleaning offices, seating guest, management was great worked with my school schedule which is important
a
Professor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2014
At Florida State College Choose from more than 100 technical certificates and degree programs, including bachelor's degrees in relevant, high-demand fields. FSCJ's affordable tuition rates and financial aid packages mean our students spend thousands less than they would at other local state colleges and universities. In addition to traditional day classes, we offer evening and hybrid classes, online courses, and accelerated learning programs. So your class schedule fits your busy life schedule. Take classes when you want, where you want at FSCJ's multiple locations in Duval and Nassau counties.
Very peaceful environment with Pool Tables as well as Gaming.
Cashier (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 11, 2014
Pros: lax work environment, flexible schedule
Cons: horrible hours and not that great of pay.
I generally start out my day changing the Aframes around the campus as well as tending to the Marquises outside the campus, talking with the students about events happening around school, as well as passing out fliers and informing people about fund raisers.
Team work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 27, 2014
Pros: paid tuition
Cons: only 20 hours
Florida State College provided me with leadership and team work skills. I was able to enhance enrollment by working with the Student Government Association as well as supporting the Academic dean with daily operations.
worked in coaches office.
Cashier (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 22, 2014
Coaches assistant, filing paper work, answering calls.Fun and growing experience. Meeting new people daily.
Loved Job
Senior Support Specialist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2014
Loved my department and the job. Had a little trouble with laying off during the fin. aid problems but definiately a great company to work for.
Good College for Learning
Student (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 15, 2014
A very good college for learning. Teachers are very nice, helpful.
Senior Support Specialist (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 8, 2014
Pros: worked place was relatively stress free.
Loved working at college, great people to work with, atmosphere was friendly.Did not like that there was no chance for advancement, pay was low, insecure with job security due to problems within college due to fiscal difficulties from past president.

1 2 3