Florida State College Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place with computers for work & home
Library Assistant I (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaJune 26, 2015
Pros: Staff support one another with job task
Cons: Part time
I work part time, morning shift so I open the library. I assist staff and students with books, videos, head phones, etc... Also, I assist students with computers issues, blackboard and Microsoft.

Classes – more... are offered to the employee for knowledge of computers and Microsoft.

The college has a plan titled Make a Plan (MAP) for success: We learned steps to help students achieve their goals.

I have great co-workers. Everyone tries to communicate and have compassion to help one another.

The job was challenging but not hard.

I enjoyed working with the staff and students – less
Good working relationships
Professor of Nursing (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 19, 2015
Pros: Fixable hours
Cons: None noted
Adequate office space and classroom to instruct and work with students. Co-workers are helpful and enjoyable to work with in the course rooms and meetings. The hardest part and the most enjoyable part of the job is attempting to assist unsuccessful students and leading them to become successful in the program.
Many fine individuals work at Florida State College at Jacksonville
Program Manager Career Education (Current Employee), Jacksonville,FLMay 28, 2015
Pros: Opportunities to see Broadway shows, wonderful student productions, and attend college events.
The most enjoyable part of the position is the interaction with the students; their success is my number one priority. When I began my career at FCCJ, I was so fortunate, the college gave us the opportunity – more... to work on teams and collaborate on various projects and committees. The shared knowledge we gained during those occasions, gave everyone the ability to help the students so much more. My co-workers have always been very supportive and cooperative; we all work together to ensure the students have the best possible customer service. – less
Good environment
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 27, 2015
I was volunteer coordinator and I believe I found my passion. The fact that I was able to not only make a difference in people's lives, but the fact that it was my job was wonderful.
Reorganization and many changes taking place.
Administrative Specialist - Nursing Department (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 26, 2015
Pros: Free tuition
After years of working and being dedicated to the job and the college, many people are being told their positions are being eliminated.
Great, friendly workplace
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 5, 2015
Pros: Student motivated for learning
Cons: Student not motivated for learning
I gave instructions of ESL English as a Second Language and Spanish to University students, assessed and graded student work, gave prompt Feedback and answers to students questions and concerns, manage classroom Attended CE seminars as needed, counseled and gave timely advice to student as needed, I adhered to university policies and method of teaching.
IT Adjunct Professor
Information Technology Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 22, 2015
Pros: Teaching others is rewarding
Cons: short terms for classes
A Great place to work, an opportunity to help shape tomorrow's IT industry. Being able to give back to the community is rewarding in itself. FSCJ is an awesome place to work.
Fun and rewarding work place
Financial Aid Analyst (Former Employee), jacksonville, FloridaApril 15, 2015
Numerous positions that will allow you to develop your abilities. Hard working coworkers who enjoy working for the college.
Great place to work and network
Tutor, Master Student and Personal Tutor (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 12, 2015
I did a lot of things at FSCJ, met a lot of great people, and worked my way up a little bit. I was hoping for a career opportunity, but none were offered nor application accepted. I'm hoping to find a way to get a career there because, in general, everything is great about the College.
fun place to work at
Student Aid Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 1, 2015
Pros: if you worked for 8 hours you got a free sub
Cons: short breaks
a typical day at work was pretty exciting everything I worked with was really fun to be around
I learned a few things about the food industry
management was okay
Fun work Place
Assist students/ Master Student (Current Employee), Jacksonville FLMarch 19, 2015
Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: short hours
Assist and tutor students with computer assistance/ homework assignments. Maintained a daily log of students assisted through office database. I learned a lot of new ways of doing things on the computer and things that I didn't know related to software I learned since I have been there.
Great workplace that enhances education.
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great future and increased learning to be able to help others.
Cons: distractions
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help others.
Good luck
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: pay is decent
Cons: no support, disorganized, unresponsive
If you're a full-time employee maybe this is a great place to work, but if you're an adjunct then good luck and hope they give you a course shell. Otherwise you get zero guidelines, and almost no guidance – more... or feedback on how to design your class or what they expect of you. I got, "pick a book, and make sure the grade total adds up to 1000 points."
The staff at the Deerwood campus are disorganized and flighty, and seem to have little idea of what they're doing. I've sent emails to people and had it take over a week before I got a response (not even an, "I got your message and I'm working on it" acknowledgement). They have several different places to go to for information, all of them difficult to navigate and none of them easily searchable. They take down the software for whole weekends, so you and your class are unable to access Blackboard, email, etc. at just the time when you are most likely to need the access. Basically, I've had a horrible experience and have gotten my resume together because as soon as I can replace this job I'm out of here. – less
Giving back to fellow students
Note Taker/Tutor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLDecember 10, 2014
Pros: great people, great work
Cons: no health benefits, no work over 20 hours, minimum wage pay
Beginning a typical day as a Notetaker/Tutor starts with the students themselves. I go to their classes with them, take the notes they need. I also meet with them after class if they need a tutor; if i'm – more... qualified in the area of need. I learn a lot in my line of work, because I'm in different classes which means different subjects. My co-workers are smart and fun people, I enjoy working with them when I do. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I have helped a student reach their goals, pass their classes, or given advice, etc, The hardest part of my job is when a student gives up and no longer tries because of college frustrations, it saddens me to see them give up. – less
Fast paced and always learning
Student Success Advisor- Student Success Center (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 6, 2014
Since higher education is always fluid, adapting to change is essential to succeeding. There is an enrollment of over 57,000 students and the students we serve come from all different kinds of backgrounds. – more...
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching others succeed and better their lives with a degree.
The staff are hardworking individuals who have a passion leading the way for a generation of educated leaders.
The hardest part of the job is the abundance of students with the very limited amount of staff. Although it is tough, it is manageable because we are all here for the same goal. – less
Student Assistant - Dean of Career Education (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 2, 2014
Pros: part time flexible schedule
Cons: no benefits for students
I got the opportunity to work with instructors and students alike whether in person or via telephone.
A typical day would be my phone ringing while an upset student came in with a complaint, then a none – more... English speaking student came in looking for their recruiter and an instructor is looking for material that had been ordered....in that I had to prioritize quickly defusing the situation with student then answer the question with person on phone transferring them to proper department or taking message for admin assist. – less
school
LPN Program (Former Employee), jacksonville, flOctober 27, 2014
this was not a place of employment only where i took classes o further my education. overall not a bad school however there are definitely some things that can be improved when it comes to making it easier to apply for programs and getting a response back from someone when you have a question or concern.
Good Place to work
Test Proctor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 20, 2014
I like working for the college, it gives an opportunity to meet new people on an everyday basis. Also it allows me to go to school for free and further my education.
security
Disability services specialist (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaSeptember 27, 2014
security logging, data entry, access control, daily walking patrols, customer interaction, and problem solving.
Each Job taught me something to remember.
Prep-Cook (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 25, 2014
J. T. A. allowed me to learn the city of Jacksonville, to meet people from all walks of life I never would have mat other wise. The work was very fast and you had to be forcus and on time. The hardest – more... part was learning the new areas each week. The best part was having other co-workers telling me I could do it the job. The US Postal Service help me to understand that I enjoyed sale more than being in a building all day. This work was also fast and my co-workers were much younger and faster; the enjoyable part for me was when I left. Direct Sale's was and is a hard job with great rewards all around. The people you meet everyday and the income it gives. Supervisor of Elections showed me I was a very good leader. Working with the public and teaching a staff how to help other through the voting process. This was the most enjoyable part of this job. – less