Florida State University

Florida State University Employer Reviews

Enjoyable and Rewarding
Reading Interventionist (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 8, 2014
Enjoyed seeing the reading skills improve in students who some would have thougt not to be possible. I was able to easily implement the curriculum provide for teaching reading skills. Overall, working with the students was an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
Exceptional Experience
Mock Interview Mentor, Intern (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 30, 2014
The experience I was able to gain while engaging in experiential learning opportunities at Florida State was exceptional. The staff and faculty at the Florida State Career Center are professional and helpful, and are excited about working with students!
Great environment
Enrollment Data Analyst (Current Employee), NHMFLJune 29, 2014
I have had an excellent experience working in a productive environment with diversity individuals.
Learned a lot!!
Graduate Practicum Student (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 23, 2014
Never the same thing twice! Love FSU! Worked in a lot of different schools, with a lot of different students for a broad learning environment.
Instructor for Public Speaking made Enjoyable by Supervisor
Graduate Instructor, Public Speaking (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 16, 2014
As a graduate teaching assistant, my role was to educate labs of undergraduate students and conduct activities related to public speaking, such as mock interviews, writing workshops, and formal speeches. I learned how to teach effectively, how to manage classrooms of adult learners, and how to navigate the university systems like the registrar's office, – more... advising centers, and different colleges. My co-workers were other graduate students and our supervisor was a full professor with the College of Communication & Information. We were a motivated team with a fantastic boss. I loved going to the labs and leading class even though it was not always easy to capture the attention of 18-25 year old students. – less
I had a most edifying experience.
Research-based internship (Former Employee), The Center for Leadership and Social ChangeJune 15, 2014
Fantastic team of individuals and great working environment.
The Best
Instructor (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 9, 2014
Pros: all you needed you had.
Worked two to three days a week for and hour to and hour and a half. Did you work meaning did well in your classes you never saw management.
Great environment for students, staff and faculty. Opportunistic and unethical institutionalized parking rules.
Instructor / Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 2, 2014
Pros: becoming a doctor, becoming an expert in a field.
Cons: no social life, more than 10 hours of reading, research, etc. every single day for years.
A typical day at work for a full-time PhD. student means staying in a university-based carrel between 8 and 16 hours combining work as an employee and work as a student with a program of study. Through a very rigorous program, a PhD. student acquires an impressively vast body of knowledge in the field of Educational Leadership and Administration. As – more... an FSU doctoral student, one is trained to work collaboratively at all times, and one is given the opportunity to learn from leading figures of the field in question. Management-wise, one is put in charge of an entire class, and one must diligently apply as much knowledge as possible to adhere to the University's and department's standards. In short, one is trained to be an administrator, a professor, a leader.

There are several factors that make a PhD in Educational Leadership a very demanding endeavor. One of the hardest factors to consider is related to the extensive research one has to conduct seven days a week all year long for as long as the degree lasts. Sometimes, I had to read, analyze, and reach conclusions for 34 hours in a row without going home or taking a shower. Deadlines are crucial, and many papers have to be written. Papers have to comply with very strict research guidelines and academic writing style.

Important: A "C" grade will automatically take you out of the program you are in.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to know how many undergraduate and graduate students become more knowledgeable about education because of the hard work put it by all the members of the department one is part of. Also, interestingly, when one makes it to graduation ceremony, as a PhD. you do not experience feelings of happiness. You mostly experience is huge feeling of relief!!! – less
FCRR
Reading Instructor (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLMay 18, 2014
Work load wasn't overwhelming however the job paid little and there was no job security.
N/a
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLMay 3, 2014
It was a great environment but part-time. I learned a lot under my bosses and gained valuable time management, social, and academic experience.
Loved my job
Academic Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 14, 2014
I worked in Academic Advising and enjoyed every minute of it.
Excellent opportunity for experience and development.
Writer, Instructor, Organizer (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 9, 2014
Pros: freedom to design personal pedagogical approaches, and course content.
Cons: health insurance
Florida State University provides graduate students/instructors with valuable experience working with students and organizations on a variety of levels, and within multiple genres. Time spent with students is the most enjoyable part of the job. The program also provides ample time for instructors to produce/publish their own work. Mentorship is practiced – more... and encouraged, and the support system extends through the entire community of writers, professors, and administrators. – less
Fun and interesting atmosphere
Student Data Analyst (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 7, 2014
● Aggregated data for surveys conducted by the Emergency Management Program
● Extensive use of Microsoft Office to organize EMP data
● Produced presentations on results of research
● Conducted research for professors in the International Affairs field
Great school
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 4, 2014
Well-equipped laboratories, great lectures. State of the art biomedical research.
Positive Experience
Instructor, Freshman Interest Group (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 13, 2014
While this was not a paid position, I learned a lot by being a FIG Instructor and the directors of the program were all so positive and very encouraging.
great place to work
Senior Instructor (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 12, 2014
Pros: on campus
Cons: really early sometimes
it was a student job but i was given the opportunity to engage in projects with the professional staff. management is very professional and they do empower their employees.
Productive and Interesting workplace
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Child Development CentreFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: free lunch, understand, flexible timing
I learn the following things
*Coordination and Co-operation
*Amazing co-workers
*I enjoy the time spent with the bright minded kids
Eye Opening and Important
IT Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 17, 2014
This position really opened my eyes to the world of IT, and I have a deeper and more understanding appreciation for all things IT. I have, and still am learning a lot.
Very knowledgeable and advance experience
Accountant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLFebruary 5, 2014
Cons: full time with benefits
Reconcile financial Statement for foundation accounts and contract and grants.
Reconcile financial reports and supporting documents.
Process invoices and payments for incoming expense.
Prepare travel for faculty for payment.
Distributes unit allocation of OPS, expense and capitol funds based upon the schools goals.
The most efficient university
Director of Academic and Research Technologies (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLJanuary 28, 2014
Cons: state of florida.
Our president likes the fact that we are the most efficient university. According to whom, I'm not sure. But from the perspective of the IT staff, this efficiency is killing us. We keep losing IT staff without replacing them forcing us to work 60 to 80 hours a week for pay well below industry standards. So why do we continue to work at FSU... the short – more... answer is we're all looking for other opportunities, thus the constant loss of our IT staff. – less

1 2 3 4 5