Florida State University Employee Reviews in United States

Dept has money but doesn't like paying a living wage
OPS Technical Computer Systems Support, Fine Arts (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 12, 2016
Troubleshooting technical issues in classrooms as well as staff offices were the duty of any given day. I had an opportunity to learn more about differences between the Windows world and iOS world. Immediate supervisor was awesome. I was mentored and allowed to explore and contribute new ideas and processes. The hardest part of this job were dealing with educational staff who operated on subterfuge and miscommunication of ideas and needs that seemed to be premeditated. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to work in my field of degree study.
Pros
great departmental peers
Cons
malicious commnunication at educational staff level
Interesting, Exciting Work Environment
Intramural Sport Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 5, 2016
Working for Campus Recreation is rewarding and one of the best jobs a student can land at the university. There is room for advancement, and the various departments allows for a prospective employee to decide where they can do their best work. The Pro Staff are young, innovative, and overall great to work with. The scheduling is decent and the coworkers have a great work ethic and are a pleasure to spend time with. The pay is mediocre but the flexibility of the job makes it worth it.
Poor
Professor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 7, 2016
This institution allows Title IX issues and workplace hostility to abide. I cannot recommend. I was verbally and emotionally abused. I was blocked inside an office. I brought my issues and concerns to the chair and the dean and was not assisted. There was no report or inquiry to EduRisk policies that should be turnkey.
Pros
Money, Influence
Cons
Lack of Integrity
Challenging academic environment with lots of diversity
Academic Center of Excellence (ACE) Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 9, 2016
I love the mathematics department and the many activities offered at Florida State University. The courses are rigorous and challenging. Each organization provides a great opportunity to meet so many people.
Pros
Challenging courses
Cons
Not enough financial accomodations
Great Entry level Position
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FL 32303February 4, 2016
My typical day is a lot of running around and fixing problems with pc's and Macs. When im not fixing immediate problems i am working on an AD or a mySQL server. I create and push out images to computers and do special request software when needed. On occasion i fix the front end portion of our website. I also diagnose and fix networking issues. I always have something to do.
Pros
Good benefits, and job security
Cons
no advancement, low compensation
Juveniles Are my Favorite Population to work with .
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Marianna, FLApril 15, 2016
Our program was the model SO treatment programs for many years. With budget cuts we were reduced to smaller and smaller funding but still maintained an excellent substance abuse and mental health program overlay at two facilities.
Pleasant workplace
Recital Hall Technician (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 28, 2016
I recorded recitals in the college of music and helped set up during dress rehearsals.
I helped control lights during recitals and made CDs of the performance for the performers
Pros
Flexible hours, flexible jobs
Cons
No benefits, had limited hours per week to work
I am a Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 30, 2016
I am a research assistant, working in the Nutrition Food and Exercise Science Department. My time here has been spent on developing research techniques to further the field of human performance with focuses in nutritional and high intensity exercise intervention.
Good professors and other students to work with, but the bureaucracy was terrible
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 7, 2016
Typically, I would either be going to class or focusing mostly on research. Research consisted of looking up new papers on my research area, finding out if it related to my project, and then modifying discovered methods in order to further my own progress. The coworkers were nice and helpful. The hours were a little demanding for the amount of pay and benefits being received, but that's apparently the norm for graduate research assistants.
Pros
Free lunches and snacks during some presentations
Cons
Had to pay for health insurance and fees for classes out of pocket
Great place to learn and develop
Senator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 27, 2016
Amazing school with lots of opportunities for students regarding development and growth. Flexible scheduling, great management, excellent team that supports you and gives advice.
Pros
Free events
Cons
Lack of corporations in the Tallahassee area
flexible hours.
Program Coordinator - FSU (Former Employee) –  Quincy, FLMarch 27, 2016
Job was close to home and I was able to travel on behalf of company. Taught classes to empower women to make good choices as it relates to themselves and their families.
Pros
Purchased healthy snacks for group meetings.
Cons
Having classes at night
Productive and very Professional Work Place
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 7, 2016
Check to see find everything is up to date and running fine, Manage traffic and watch very carefully for interface, monitor and modulate, trouble shoot and record everything on daily sheet at the end of the shift
Research
Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 15, 2016
Typical day at work involves your research projects. Environment is very friendly people with lots of experience to support you. Also, its research and can take some time to give useful results
Bbtc
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 29, 2016
Burrito Brothers will always be the best job I ever had, simply because it challenged me to deify the odds and exceed the expectations of staff, management and the owners!
not enough resources employees expected to work weekends
Senior PeopleSoft Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 9, 2015
it is almost like the CIO and the I/T management get bonuses based on the ability to get the work done when they spend as little infrastructure moniesas possible. I/T budgets ar so tight it is almost a norm to not get a regular annual increase for work well done
Pros
attempting to run current 21st century applications
Cons
not enough resources employees expected to work weekends
I like the situation and condition at FSU. I learned a lot of stuff about computing.
Graduate Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 3, 2016
The atmosphere is great. Everyone wants to help each other through the obstacles. I really enjoy the level of knowledge of both students and faculties.
Available jobs and felxibility
Peer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 2, 2016
There is a job for every student on campus that allow flexible hours. Florida State University also has a career enter that helps you find jibs available on and off campus.
Great Place
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 11, 2016
This is a great place to work at. They really care to accommodate school schedules. Awesome graduate students also help with career planning.
Productive workplace
Accounting Representative (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 21, 2016
Working at FSU has been a dynamic experience that has afforded me the opportunity to work with and assist some amazing people.
Go Noles!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 1, 2015
I loved the campus culture the first day I came to Florida State University --- Our football team always makes me so proud of ourselves!

I have been serving as a teaching assistant at the Physics department since 2008. As an international student, the teaching experience had granted me a lot of good opportunities to communicate and help the physics family.

4.4