Florida State University

Florida State University Employer Reviews

Hard Worker
Custodian (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLOctober 9, 2014
Pros: customer friendly, positive attitude
Cons: n/a
 Clean Office Areas with use of broom, mop, or vacuum
 Used cleaning supplies to make sure area was sanitized
 Dusted and cleaned items with a smile
Great if you like not working
Program/administrative assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassse, FLOctober 3, 2014
Pros: lots of free time
Cons: not female friendly
Many days spent with nothing to do. While there was plenty of work, nothing really to do on a day to day basis. My position could've easliy been a part time job.
Great Choice with This School
Division I NCAA Football Athlete (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLOctober 1, 2014
Outstanding experience, loved the fun and plenty more to come
Student driven atmosphere
Academic Support Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLSeptember 30, 2014
Good place to work if looking to be around an academic environment
Busy
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLSeptember 24, 2014
The day is usually consistently busy attempting to assist staff and students with their individual needs.
Great productive workplace
Sr. Word Processing Operator (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, good hours, great environment
Cons: short breaks, not many oportunities for raises
Fast paced environment. You can jump in and help out in other areas. Co-workers are nice and entertaining.
Florida State University career review
Associate in Research (Current Employee), Innovation ParkAugust 26, 2014
Pros: working in a university environment around interesting and diverse colleagues, good health benefits/retirement plan options, generally some lattitude in day-to-day decision-making, being treated as a professional
Cons: if your position is contracts & grants, your career can be short/e & g (line-funded) opportunities are increasingly difficult to find
As 12 month faculty, it is important to ensure that you lock in the salary that you want at the beginning, because opportunities for raises are often few and far between. You can get a 10% raise when you advance from assistant in research to associate, and there are occasional bonuses awarded, but generally, opportunities to advance are predicated upon changes in your job requirement or applying for a new position altogether. You can present offers from other employers to supervisors in hopes that they will be willing to match the offer to keep you, but these must be approved by the University President and are a rare event for 12 month faculty.
I love being able to share my knowledge and skills to others
Graphic Design Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLAugust 14, 2014
I am in charge of running the student lab, where I assist students who need help with the Adobe programs. I have to make sure they are using the product correctly. Remotely, I monitor the student portal, answering questions that student's may have. I am also in charge of grading all assignments.
Rewarding work helping students
Teacher (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLAugust 8, 2014
Pros: influencing and educating students
Cons: receiving paychecks
I taught elementary students reading comprehension in a classroom. I learned objective management of young students and how to effectively teach them different parts of stories. The management was very hard on their employees and getting paid was delayed for everyone for the first 6 weeks, but I objectively adapted to the circumstances and continued to provide the best teaching for the children. The hardest part of the job was reporting wages online. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping grow little minds.
Graduate Teaching assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLAugust 6, 2014
Great every day at work
Great learning
Great management
Great co-workers
Great enjoyable job
I enjoyed surrounding myself by the pre-med and medical students
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 30, 2014
People would ask me if i liked my job, I would correct them and tell them that I love my job. My boss is a visionary and she has great ideas about how to grow our department and would welcome all of our comments during our brainstorming sessions/ monthly meetings and would listen to our ideas and implement them especially if it was a better idea than hers. I have learned a great deal about working in a University setting Vs. a private setting, there is a lot of red tape and sometimes movement/implementation can be slow.
Friendly, fun and easy going work environment.
Intramural Supervisor (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 24, 2014
Prepare scoresheets and schedules for the night shifts. Record all scoresheets and reports from the night before. Oversee and supervise the events. Friendly management that wants to help you grow in the field and gain experience. Fun and friendly teamwork environment. The hardest part of the job was handling rowdy spectators. The more enjoyable part of the job was interacting with all of the participants and meeting new people all the time.
It was a great place to work.
Environmental Services Technician (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 22, 2014
Pros: the work was very self directed.
Cons: not much room for growth in the company.
*A Typical day at work was easy going, but productive.

* I learned growth, independence, and time management.

* Management was very unorganized.

*The hardest part of the job was being able to get overtime.

*The most enjoyable part of the job is a peaceful environment.
Graduate School
Student Clinician (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 19, 2014
Very busy schedule with focus on professional development.
Work study
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 17, 2014
Pros: work study
Cons: only work 10 hours a week
Manly work in the computer labs. I learned how to be on time as it was my first job
Enjoyable and Rewarding
Reading Interventionist (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJuly 8, 2014
Enjoyed seeing the reading skills improve in students who some would have thougt not to be possible. I was able to easily implement the curriculum provide for teaching reading skills. Overall, working with the students was an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
Exceptional Experience
Mock Interview Mentor, Intern (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 30, 2014
The experience I was able to gain while engaging in experiential learning opportunities at Florida State was exceptional. The staff and faculty at the Florida State Career Center are professional and helpful, and are excited about working with students!
Great environment
Enrollment Data Analyst (Current Employee), NHMFLJune 29, 2014
I have had an excellent experience working in a productive environment with diversity individuals.
Learned a lot!!
Graduate Practicum Student (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 23, 2014
Never the same thing twice! Love FSU! Worked in a lot of different schools, with a lot of different students for a broad learning environment.
Instructor for Public Speaking made Enjoyable by Supervisor
Graduate Instructor, Public Speaking (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 16, 2014
As a graduate teaching assistant, my role was to educate labs of undergraduate students and conduct activities related to public speaking, such as mock interviews, writing workshops, and formal speeches. I learned how to teach effectively, how to manage classrooms of adult learners, and how to navigate the university systems like the registrar's office, advising centers, and different colleges. My co-workers were other graduate students and our supervisor was a full professor with the College of Communication & Information. We were a motivated team with a fantastic boss. I loved going to the labs and leading class even though it was not always easy to capture the attention of 18-25 year old students.