Florida State University Employee Reviews in United States

Florida State University career review
Associate in Research (Current Employee) –  Innovation ParkAugust 26, 2014
As 12 month faculty, it is important to ensure that you lock in the salary that you want at the beginning, because opportunities for raises are often few and far between. You can get a 10% raise when you advance from assistant in research to associate, and there are occasional bonuses awarded, but generally, opportunities to advance are predicated upon changes in your job requirement or applying for a new position altogether. You can present offers from other employers to supervisors in hopes that they will be willing to match the offer to keep you, but these must be approved by the University President and are a rare event for 12 month faculty.
Pros
working in a university environment around interesting and diverse colleagues, good health benefits/retirement plan options, generally some lattitude in day-to-day decision-making, being treated as a professional
Cons
if your position is contracts & grants, your career can be short/e & g (line-funded) opportunities are increasingly difficult to find
Great Place
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 11, 2016
This is a great place to work at. They really care to accommodate school schedules. Awesome graduate students also help with career planning.
Productive workplace
Accounting Representative (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 21, 2016
Working at FSU has been a dynamic experience that has afforded me the opportunity to work with and assist some amazing people.
Not so great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 8, 2014
FSU is a mediocre University. Dont know how it appears so high in the ranking!! It promotes football and any other games rather than research to excel in the rankings. Recently they shut down the only graduate student housing. FSU doesnt pay any benefits to its graduate students. Moreover they charge a ridiculous semester/registration fee of ~1300-1400 each semester. Graduate students also have to pay for their health insurance.
Pros
cheaper football game tickets and gym
Cons
poor salary, less scope for advanced research
I like the situation and condition at FSU. I learned a lot of stuff about computing.
Graduate Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 3, 2016
The atmosphere is great. Everyone wants to help each other through the obstacles. I really enjoy the level of knowledge of both students and faculties.
Administrative assistant duties
Researcher and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 14, 2013
I was in the office a lot, filing paper work for families and their children, answering phones, and entering data into the University's data base. About one day a week, I had to visit family's homes and video tape their child in a natural setting. I then took the tape back to the office for the clinician to review. This was my first office job and I learned most of what I know now through this job. I worked with my mother and her long time friends who she has worked with for 20 years. It was like working with family members, which in this case, benefited me and I learned a lot. The hardest part was to see the children struggle, but the most enjoyable was to see a child thrive and grow with their disability.
Pros
compensation
Cons
only a summer job
Convenient place to work while studying here
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 1, 2015
Enjoyed my time here. It was very convenient to work for the school while also attending. The hours were flexible and the pay is above minimum wage.
review
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 12, 2015
The pay sucks but have excellent benefits. Not a lot chances for promotion you have to apply for other position in order to receive a pay increase.
Go Noles!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 1, 2015
I loved the campus culture the first day I came to Florida State University --- Our football team always makes me so proud of ourselves!

I have been serving as a teaching assistant at the Physics department since 2008. As an international student, the teaching experience had granted me a lot of good opportunities to communicate and help the physics family.
Great productive workplace
Sr. Word Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 4, 2014
Fast paced environment. You can jump in and help out in other areas. Co-workers are nice and entertaining.
Pros
nice co-workers, good hours, great environment
Cons
short breaks, not many oportunities for raises
Very knowledgeable and advance experience
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 5, 2014
Reconcile financial Statement for foundation accounts and contract and grants.
Reconcile financial reports and supporting documents.
Process invoices and payments for incoming expense.
Prepare travel for faculty for payment.
Distributes unit allocation of OPS, expense and capitol funds based upon the schools goals.
Cons
full time with benefits
Fun university to work and study at.
Student (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 24, 2015
I spent some of the best years in my life studying at Florida State and it has opened doors to many other opportunities. I have also been able to participate in undergraduate research and worked on many projects that have helped me grow as an engineer.
Interesting and stimulating work experience in computational astrophysics research
Post-Baccalaureate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 31, 2015
I read published, peer-reviewed research papers pertaining to the area of research (magnetic field properties and related observable quantities in star formation, computational) and create data analysis, manipulation, and visualization scripts. All of my co-workers/co-researchers are excellent, incredibly helpful, and a joy to work with. This job is teaching me how to conduct professional grade research and developing an understanding of what I enjoy doing (computations and analysis, particularly in an astrophysical application).
Pros
Office, desk, and Linux workstation provided
Cons
Very noisy AC unit in office; Funded only through summer 2015
productive
Facilities worker, Daily Duties (Current Employee) –  tallahassee,flJanuary 13, 2014
go in at 5AM to 1:30PM. go in, clean buildings/bathrooms. Hardest part of the job is certain task. most enjoyable part of the job is the students/professors
Pros
great benefits, good hours
Cons
bad management
Perfect place to be trained in for the work environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 21, 2015
I am part of a new and hardworking research group who work very efficiently to make up for the fact that research started just a year ago. In that time the group has expanded to cover many different types of research areas for new innovative processes.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Productive and fun work place with great co-workers
Head Testing Proctor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 26, 2013
The best part of this job was the feeling of accomplishment I had after each and every successful test was administered and there were no major problems with the computers or the the students taking the tests.
Pros
co-workers
benefits
very good experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 2, 2015
Florida State University has so many opportunities for you as a student to learn, communicate, and succeed. Every thing is exciting!
This is one of the best jobs I have ever had
ERP Analyst IV. (Lead Database Administrator) (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 7, 2013
The IT department is lead by a great team open to new technology. It has been a great place to work.
Pros
state benifits
Cons
not the greatest pay for the rank and file because of state government
Working there could be okay
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeJuly 27, 2015
I honestly think working there could have been okay but my direct supervisor was not the best. The days were long and a regular schedule was hard to keep. I enjoyed the research at the beginning but the projects I was working on kept moving in was I did not see the science going.
Pros
Cons
Location, Time
Good/bad faculty
Economics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 23, 2015
For the right professor, your time as a research assistant will be productive and enjoyable. For the wrong professor, you will be running for the door and dreading every assignment. Do your work to speak to current/past RAs and find a good fit. It does not matter if your research interests align. Most things do not translate after grad school anyways.

4.4