Florida Virtual School

Florida Virtual School Employer Reviews

Not an enjoyable place to work
Executive Assistant- Information Technology (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 20, 2014
High employee turnover (CEO, & CIO both resigned within months of each other. People are not friendly
GReat job
Student Administrator (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 6, 2014
Great job. Flexible. Fun. Friendly. competitive. This job is great for your exceptional persons. Simplistic yet, it raises the bar on how far you are willing to go to challenge yourself.
Great purpose
Senior Support Representative, Talent Management (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 16, 2014
The values of this company make it a great place to work, allowing employees to feel like they are making a difference.
overwelming job not enough pay.
Physical Educator/Personal Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), work from homeJanuary 12, 2014
You work 24/7. Your job is not protected and is based on enrollment.
very laid back
Receptionist (Former Employee), orlando flJanuary 11, 2014
everything is online so communicating and listening is a must. cannot talk over the parent, student, teacher and staff and always try to help them to the best of my ability.
no work/life balance - poor management - nepitism abounds
Teacher (Current Employee), remoteDecember 29, 2013
summary about says it all. 12 hour work days and still more work than there is time to get the work done. focus on $ rather than kids.
FLVS review
Full Time Music Instructor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 25, 2013
Pros: flex schedule
Cons: no job security...sales job!!!
The company claims to benefit students but it seriously has conflicting interests. They claim "any place, time, pace, etc..." but in the end, the job security is not there if you do not meet a quota just like a sales quota. Most fun part are the kids and that you become a new kind of teacher. But wouldn't do it again.
Excellent organization that values students, staff, parents and education.
Adjunct Faculty Computing for College and Careers (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 15, 2013
Pros: excellent training and working with cowokers
Cons: employment dependent upon enrollment
Received students on a weekly basis, enrolled them according to company policy, sent introduction letters and contacted by phone. Worked closely with students and parents to maintain positive communication link. Worked with coworkers, attended weekly staff meetings, learned new tasks, techniques and methods of instruction. LOVED the training, staff – more... meetings and ever aspect of Florida Virtual School. The most POSITIVE environment I have ever worked in.

Enjoyed working with students and helping them learn...especially fun was when the "light went on" and they "got it"!!! Also enjoyed the one on one communication by phone, email and texts. – less
Excellent company to work for!
Curriculum Specialist (Current Employee), remoteOctober 7, 2013
Pros: working from home- saves on gas, lunches, wardrobe
Cons: working from home- hard to walk away from work, you forget to shower.
Florida Virtual School is fantastic. I would continue with the company if they would allow me to reside outside the state. The management is very clear and open. I have been able to guide my career down a different path and have learned much along the way. The hardest part is balancing my home and work life, but that is typical with any remote position.
Flexible Scheduling but under great pressure.
Latin Instructor (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: able to set your own schedule
Cons: too many quantifiers for success
Florida Virtual School became very successful by being able to acquire the FTE units of students. Recent legislative changes, however, have returned many of these to schools, so that enrollment is decreasing. Co-workers and adminstrators are pleasant and helpful.
Top quality in everything they do
Staffing Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FlAugust 22, 2013
Working at Florida Virtual School was truly an invaluable experience. Starting with the CEO to the front desk receptionist I was surrounded by truly passionate individuals who were commited to education. The culture is all what is best for the students and it is reflected in the quality courses that are produced and delivered. The employees are very – more... genuine, and overall the atmosphere was fun and energetic. – less
Productive and fun place to work.
Desktop Technician/Analyst (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 14, 2013
Each day is a new challenge and I learned many different things, like, Active Directory, imaging, AV troubleshooting, SCCM, Mac OS X, Outlook, and etc. The management team are understanding and they really care for the overall success of the company. I really get along with my co-workers and we work together to make sure all tasks are covered. The hardest – more... part of job is working by an annual contract. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is the learning the latest technologies in both hardware and software. – less
I really appreciate the culture, values and desire to make the best decisions in the interest of the students. I learned and thrived working for FLVS.
Manager (Current Employee), RemoteJuly 1, 2013
The load of intervention and support has increased dramatically as our enrollment and identification methods increased. I worked remotely for the most part. Working to support team members and instructors through training and support was rewarding. The culture and commitment of the faculty and staff is impressive. The hardest part about my job is the – more... amount of time needed to keep things running properly. Many days have turned into 12 - 15 hour work days. The most enjoyable part of my job is the guidance support I am able to provide and the redirection of appropriate learning for our students. – less
Values and management do not align
Specialist (Current Employee), Orlando, FLJune 10, 2013
Pros: remote position
Cons: management is top heavy and incompetent
The mission and values of the school are great. Some of the support departments can not live up to them though. The management is top heavy and not very competent.
Overworked, under appreciated, in fear of job daily.
Teacher (Current Employee), FloridaMay 14, 2013
Pros: work in pjs
Cons: no sick coverage, covering your 300 and another's 300 if needed. mgmt changes rules and ideas daily.
If you want to work 60-80 hours a week, seven days a week, having the phone ring at all hours, high (300+) class load, and teenagers that fill out your evaluations then this is a good fit. If you respect yourself as a real teacher, expect students to learn, don't want to be in fear of your job daily find someplace else.

– May 27, 2013

This institution brag itself with a motto " student on the center of every decision" - and in fact, what matter the most is to pass those kids no matter what. There is a quota and "teaching" is reduced to how many calls you do every week, how many notes you keep records, how much you listen to student procrastinating about their work and YES you do grade- using the same notes over and over- teachers share their notes and by the way, no lessons to create- so no differentiated instruction. Teaching should not be about numbers and credits. The worse place ever for an educator. As an educator you care, you teach, you want your students to learn and become part of a society. Working for Florida Virtual School is not a place for an educated, informed teacher. Be prepared to be a customer service representative with no time off, no bonus, and no job security.

Paperwork/data more important than kids.
TEACHER (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 11, 2013
Pros: have laptop will travel, no student disciplines to deal with
Cons: no union, no one unbiased to go to when you have a complaint about your il
I loved my job. I loved working with the students and helping them be successful. It's so much better than the classroom in that you don't have to deal with disciplines, sleeping kids, attitudes, rolling eyes & so much more that were distractions to teaching.

BUT, the IL (principal) you are assigned makes or breaks you. The IL seemed to change the – more... rules weekly. Lists of students came from the IL twice a week requiring copies of the documentation entered for each student on the list. It seemed as if we were working in the past instead of the present or future. These lists were tedious and time-consuming and, frankly, why an I copying what is already available for the IL to view? Then another list of students was requested by the lead teacher. For this list, you had to go into the documentation to see if the required amount of contacts had been made within the timeframe established and another program to see when the last work was submitted. If all fit the requirements, the info needed to be copied & submitted so the lead teacher could take measures to encourage the student to submit work. This all made doing the most important part of the job...weekly contacts with the student, very difficult to accomplish.

I worked from 7am to 11pm most days. I took Friday evening through Sunday afternoon off in order to fit in "my life". Three days before my scheduled spring break vacation (when most of my students would be on break too), my IL gave me instructions to get caught up on some calls before I left on vacation. I ended up working most days of my vacation, even though I had company. I received little help from my lead teacher and none from anyone else. Oh, there are plenty of written statements "if you need anything let me know" or "I'm here to help", but not from this team. Other teams had ILs that jumped in to help without being asked.

I think the compiling of data became more important to the IL than the teaching of kids. I know I did a great job with the kids...I've got emails from parents and students to remind me of that. I also had an amazing completion rate, but if they want to terminate you, they will always find a way.

When applying for reemployment benefits(formerly "unemployment"), the question came up as to why I was terminated. Fighting? Stealing? Drugs? DUI? No, nothing like that...I didn't make enough monthly calls. – less

wonderingj – May 15, 2013

So were you fired? Did they call it non-renew? Just curious as I'm in the pipeline waiting for enrollment for an adjunct pos. I want to go ft but keep hearing horror stories...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLMay 10, 2013
Amazing work opportunity for students. You learn a lot about customer service and customer interaction.
On line teacher
Teacher (Former Employee), Orlando FL.February 26, 2013
Taught On line high school classes (HOPE, US Government). Maintaining student load of 150-250 students. Worked in excel, Word, Power point. Communicated with families and created plan for students to become successful.
Great work environment, love dealing with students
Student Services Assistant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 31, 2013
Managed students accounts with teachers and parents.Customer service
No Family Life
Personal Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), OrlandoAugust 20, 2012
Pros: non
Cons: everything
Very top heavy organization. 8am-8pm are your office hours and are expected to be online 12 hours a day, everyday of the week.