FLOWSERVE

FLOWSERVE United States Employee Reviews

Here's the skinny
Machinist (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: its a job that pays your bills
Cons: read my review
Looking from the 10k foot view the company doesn't appear bad (speaking only about the Raleigh plant). Lets get a closer look.

First off, it doesn't matter how good of a machinist you are, they will start you off as an operator. While the vast majority of employees are decent people and I really enjoyed working with them, there are those few who think that because they've been at the company for 10 years that they automatically know more than you. (even if this is all they've ever done and don't have a full spectrum of machining experience) I found this part quite comical actually. There were times I just had to shake my head and smile. I actually heard a guy say that being an apprentice graduate doesn't mean anything and he said that he has a machinery handbook but finds it useless.

Expect to be pigeon holed on only one machine for the rest of your days. You may be lucky enough to run 2 machines but don't plan on it. It doesn't matter what you know or how good you are. They will put you were they need you and the rest of your skills will get sidelined.

Before you start your first day make sure you got everything promised to you on paper and signed by someone important. Let me tell you why:

1. When I interviewed on the phone and in person I told at least 3 different HR people that I would be needing to take 2 weeks off for the birth of a child about 3 months after my start date. All 3 people congratulated me and said that it would not be a problem. Fast forward to a month before the big event. Not a single person remembered me saying that and one HR person actually went – more... as far as telling my boss that I should be fired for asking for the time off. Eventually I was authorized one week off and part time for the second week, but not without them going back and forth right up to the week before I needed.

2. At the time of writing this review all job vacancies say that your shift is determined at interview. Whatever they tell you make sure you get it in writing. I was told I would be on first shift and then 5 months into my employment I was sent to second shift even though I told them that I physically could not do this as I had two young children to take care of at night.

Flowserve will pay you for relocation. Make sure you get that in writing as another employee I know never got his money. (I can't confirm this as it didn't happen to me)

Another little known secret is your vacation time is negotiable. There is a flowserve policy that states "new mid career employees may be granted up to 120 hours of vacation a year." Make sure you ask for that if you're considered mid career. I didn't know about it so they didn't give it to me. Another employee who started around the same time as me did get it. Negotiate your pay too. I was told, but can't confirm, flowserve is prepared to give you three pay offers, so reject the first one you get.

I can't speak for the rest of the plant but be prepared to have your boss attempt to make you feel guilty if you can't work overtime. Flowserve runs on employee greed and if you drive by this place at 7 am on a Sunday you'd swear that your clock was wrong based on the parking lot being absolutely full. The end of the month is the worst. Don't plan on taking anytime off during the last week of the month. They'll demand that you be there trying to get work done so it can be shipped.

That brings me to my next point. The schedulers there have no clue what they are doing (or maybe they do because as I said, the plant runs on greed) You will be working at your machine on the 27th of the month and all of a sudden something will show up they they NEED to be done by the next day even though the scope of work could take 3 days. There is also no such thing as a planner at this place. The leaders determine where the work goes. So expect to see work at a machine on the first of the month that will take 500 hours when there may only be 300 hours available on your machine (see my comment about employee greed)

Healthcare: I have no idea if this is normal for company healthcare but plan on shelling out over $5k beyond your premiums before Blue Cross starts helping you out.

Timeoff: Start out at 80 hours a year (first 40 hours not available until 6 months), unless you remember to negotiate. 40 hours of sick leave, but if you use time it won't be credited back to you for one full year from the time you used it. Up to 24 hours of personal time per calendar year.

Schedule: 0700-1500, 1500-2300, 2300-0700. Two 10 minute breaks and a 20 minute paid lunch. – less
Good and Bad
Production (Former Employee), Gulf coast. TxJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: awesome 401k, clean and well lit. mostly really good people. bonus.
Cons: hr. raises that dont even match cost of living increase, management that doesnt keep private conversations private.
Good facility. Good pay and good benefits.
Fairly supportive internally.
The type of work was cool. Lots to learn.
Good equipment, but not much vision in that respect. But I hear its getting better.
There was an incident where drugs were found laying around in a facility and nobody got drug tested. Out goes the OSHA regulations.
Sales department dictates all. But they do create lots of O.T.
Managers for the most part are quite accommodating.
As long as the work is getting done, filling vacant labor positions is a long time coming.
Good place to work, but just go do your job. They want you to think that they want you to care, but they really dont care if you dont care.
If you wish to go to work and do nothing, it is ok, nothing will be said to you.
Compensation is above average however work/life balance is one sided toward work.
Production Planning Team Lead (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXDecember 28, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: no work life balance, overtime is constantly expected and frowned upon if not worked
As mentioned above, compensation is above average however, the work/life balance is totally one sided towards Flowserve. The average hours per week worked is 55-60 hours. You are lucky if you don't have to work a full day Saturday and find out on Friday at around 5-6 p.m.
Good place to gain knowledge. Sort of.
Machinist (Current Employee), Baton Rouge , laDecember 7, 2014
Pros: fellow workers. able to learn a lot in a short amount of time.
Cons: management, petty raises, no recognition
The 4 years I have worked at flowserve I have learned quite a few things.

One being that you cannot trust the management, they will throw you under the bus,and/ or cut throats in a second to save their butt when a bad decision is made. If you wish to work here, carry a voice recorder.

Second. Have low expectations on pay increases and bonuses. Though your shop may make 6 million over the projected numbers. You still may only get a fraction of a percent of your bonus. Maybe 7 cents of a raise.thats if you get one at all.

Third. If you are a family person. Don't work here, you will spend less and less time with your family the longer you work here. The management does not care if you have a family at home, as long as they get to spend their weekends and holidays at home. That's all that matters.

Fourth. The company is big on ethics, safety and quality. Yet I have not seen an ethical decision made yet. Cutting corners is the norm. And doing a job that makes you feel unsafe is not uncommon.
Flowserve could be better
Machinist (Former Employee), Sulphur Springs, TXDecember 1, 2014
Pros: shop workers
Cons: managment
I was raised not to say anything if I could not say anything nice. So No Comment.
family like environment
Sr. Cost Accountant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 24, 2014
direct boss fair & honest
coworkers awesome
family like atmosphere
hard working
honest
Flowserve was an excellent company to work for...
Accounts Payable Specialist - (Former Employee), Vernon, CANovember 17, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: it wwas a contractors job
Full cycle Accounts Payable Specialist with a face pace enviroment. Well, there is no typical day as a AP Specialist, but I entered invoices (coding, batching, po , and scanned) into BAAN system. Communicated with vendors/suppliers dealing with discrepacies and reconciliation of invoices. Filing and scanning was my down time of the day, but since there was so much to do, my day was never ending and interesting. The atmosphere was excellent, because Flowserve has great freindly, polite, people which works there
Fast paced great place to work
CNC Machinist/Machinist Level 2 (Former Employee), Deer Park, TXNovember 6, 2014
Pros: provided a great opportunity to advance in your own skill set
Cons: just the health insurance it was alright
Over all a very professional place to work. It was a privilege to grow as a machinist in those working conditions.
Inventory clerk (Former Employee), Vernon, CANovember 5, 2014
Enjoyed working here, was given the freedom and responsibility to use my talents making it very satisfying to work here.
Pleasant
Production Planner Team Lead (Current Employee), Deer Park, TXOctober 3, 2014
Worked a tremendous amount of overtime.
When writing your review, please consider the following guidelines:
•Focus on the company and your individual experience while employed there
•Provide details about why you liked or disliked working at the company
•Ensure any facts you include in your review are true and accurate
•All submitted reviews are subject to the terms set forth in our Terms of Service

We reserve the right not to post your review if it contains any of the following types of content or violates other guidelines:
•Obscenities, discriminatory language, or other language not suitable for a public forum
•Advertisements, "spam" content, or references to other companies, offers, or websites
•Email addresses, URLs, phone numbers, physical addresses, or other forms of contact information
•Critical or spiteful comments on other reviews posted on the page or their authors
•Allegations of illegal activity - this is not a forum for reporting crimes

Enjoy writing your review!
pay scale
Presicion assembler, assembler lead (Current Employee), bluffdale utSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: worked 4 tens
Cons: terrible pay scale
Pay scale was done buy who you knew not buy what you know. Putting people in charge who didn't know there job or how to do it.
Great company to work for
CNC Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Sulphur Springs, TXSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: great teamwork within the industry
Cons: downsizing of company to oversees production
Great teamwork with coworkers and management team. Enjoyed working and maintaining site machines. Very challenging career that kept me motivated. Continiously encouraged to become a better technician thru training. Allowed me to be self motivated and oversee company control systems.
Good company to work for with a great bunch of co-workers
Export Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: provided good lunches when it came to safety milestones.
Cons: short breaks, rushing things to get out the door whether right or wrong.
Typical day at work is very busy creating export documents, applying for US Export licenses and dealing with freight forwarders.
If it wasn't for Flowserve I would have not known or even learned anything about Export Compliance. It is a world that changes daily.
Management is like any other business, some good some not so good but most of the managers I worked for I really enjoyed and respected.
My fellow co-workers were fantastic. I learned a lot more about exporting and other compliance issues for which I did not know before.
The hardest part of the job was making sure all documentation was correct with few to no errors. Also walking up and down stairs multiple times a day can be very tiring.
The most enjoyable part is the co-workers I worked with. Working for a company for 15+ years you meet a lot of different people.
fun work place very people oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Vernon, CAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: schedule
Cons: temp
i enjoyed the task and the people who were involved were very helpul and cnsiderate.
came here a tester
QA Engineer (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 5, 2014
i came to flowserve to the floor as a Machinist and nuclear tester for valves . I learned alot since we built nuclear valves wich i was use too by being in the navy
If you really need the paycheck and have don't mind being consstantly reminded that you are nothing but an inanimate asset then you'll fit right in.
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST (Current Employee), Clarks Summit, PAMay 6, 2014
Pros: some great co workers, average pay(give it time the cost of living is exponentially outpacing the compensation)..
Cons: everything else.
The opportunity to work for the most unethical, arrogant, self serving management team I have ever had the disgust of interacting with could be yours. The team that hired me 8.5 years ago has all but been eradicated and the new wave is here to stay. If you have no pride, deep seated knowledge and experience you may be capable of accepting the degradation and oppression that the management feels they "need" to integrate into your work environment in order to "achieve" their unrealistic goals and expectations. Make sure that you have no opinions, suggestions or observations as they have no place within their system. If you want a job were you can mindlessly go to work, have every minute dictated and go home feeling used and abused then you may be a perfect fit.
Great company and nice people.
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee), Vernon, CAMay 4, 2014
A lot of challenges and areas for improvements. Company provides training to help you in your job.
Another dinosaur company that just doesn't get it.
Machinist (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLMay 2, 2014
Pros: a job until your career track appears.
Cons: just about everything a loyal, long-term employee cares about.
If you really need a job, then MAYBE consider this company. They will pay you as little as they can while they work you inefficiently. Any profit is gobbled up by corporate for golfing trips and pointless company travel for non-productive execs. An archaic business model, out of touch elitist HQ that will provide a dead end job with zero long term incentives. Forget about overtime unless they are screwed and need you to catch them back up.
Quick paced environment with many knowledgeable workers.
Project Engineer (Current Employee), ILFebruary 24, 2014
Many projects are completed quickly with few errors in a team environment.
Poorly managed, and low pay.
CNC Machinist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 8, 2014
Cons: low pay, high stress
Forced to work a weekend shift, Low pay, unreasonable expectation of productivity without any training on the machine operated.

1 2 3

About FLOWSERVE

Flowserve is pumped about flow control equipment. After reorganizing in 2010 the company operates through two segments. Flow Control – Read more

FLOWSERVE Salaries