Flsmidth Employee Reviews in United States

Great multicultural company to work for
Global department coordinator (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTJuly 15, 2016
Great multicultural company to work for. Unfortunately the minerals market has suffered greatly in the last few years.
As a global company, we had to work with different countries, different time zones and different languages.
I learned a lot about mining technologies and processes as well as different work styles and policies depending on the regions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to have a good, smart and energetic team to work with towards a common goal using our individual skills.
Pros
Good camaraderry in mid management positions and below
Cons
Functions overlaping and internal competition
Always learning something new about mining .
mining lab technician (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTJuly 8, 2016
Went in at 8:00 am. Talked engineers to see what we where going to do and see what needs to be done for the day. Go home at 4:30 pm. You can learn a lot from a small sample of rock . Always had a good time with co-workers . We keep in touch . The long rides to ELY,NV mine . After work ate the best places in town .
Pros
Got to get away from SLC .
Cons
Short lunches dirty when the day was over at mine
Can't seem to get their feet under them
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 10, 2016
Upper Management decisions do not make any sense. The company just can’t seem to get organized. Employee morale is very low because of multiple layoffs.
Pros
Good People to work with
Cons
Upper Management decisions
This was a nic place to work.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTFebruary 12, 2016
I enjoyed working with my fellow workers. The company as a whole was not all that social. At the end, we lost our jobs to workers from the Middle East who would do the work for a lesser pay.
Pros
Good social atmosphere betwween workers in my department.
Cons
The company was too big to really get to know everyone.
no job security , good office working enviornamnet , nice helpful people
senior electrical designer (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTJanuary 14, 2016
not a good place to relay on
no job security, not enough work load to survive
good office working environment , nice helpful people
Pros
good office working environment, nice helpful people
Cons
no job security, not enough work load to survive
Ambitiously Expanded Company that Could Not Congeal
Mining Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake, UTMay 17, 2016
Generally the coworkers and management were good to get along with.

The hardest and most painful part of the job was finding surprises as engineering calculations, models and drawings were reviewed. Layoffs consolidated the remaining work so there was no time to develop any guidelines for marketing, interoffice cooperation, newbie engineers and designers, or even a common basis for review.

The most enjoyable part of the job was developing new designs to meet client needs...

However clients changed their needs and design work became a chase game to keep up with changes.

I learned hiring local interns to help with calculations was very efficient and cost effective, mandating very complicated software and cloud storage was counterproductive for idea sharing, lack of standards hurts on many levels.
Pros
Good benefits. prestigious working environment, interesting and challenging projects
Cons
Lack of standard designs, lack of useful guidelines for an extremely challenging industry. Little guidance for new employess, as turnover took its toll, Managements layers tried but never "got it".
Great company to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTFebruary 26, 2016
great work life balance, Great product line and system equipments, good medical benefits. Family atmosphere, passionate co workers
Great Place to Work
Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Evans, GAFebruary 5, 2016
Great People Make a Difference! FLSmidth is a great manufacturer in the Evans area. I hope they will be there for the community for decades to come.
Productive and Busy Workplace
SalesManager (Former Employee) –  Fraziers Bottom, WVJanuary 14, 2016
Took care of daily activities in all departments that was needed. Assisted all outside sales guys with sales, quotations and invoicing.
A company
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 17, 2015
The overall learning experience has been great. I love leaning new technologies and concepts.

I cannot legally comment on other aspects of the business or work environment.
Great people to work with, a real family
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 8, 2015
FLSmidth is a world wide organization so it is a little out of touch with its individual company holdings. There is a bit too much management that is not really aware of what those who produce are doing. Otherwise, it is a great place to work because the people are really great.
Productive place with new organization in place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahMay 20, 2015
Great company for the mining world with many managment changes in the past 4 years, creating a difficult place to grow. The company owns different divisions for the cement and mineral industry. They create new departments giving them a short time to grow. Overall, FLSmidth is a good company to work for it. They paid well and their benefits are good.
Pros
Many organizations
Cons
Nobody knows where the company is going
A Place to work
Designer-Filtration (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 22, 2015
Flsmidth is just another typical JOB. They are not truly invested in their employee's or their personal growth and development. If all you care about is a pay check. It is an okay place to go. If you are looking for more. I would advise continuing your search.
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 21, 2015
Work is interesting. Mgmt blew it with respect to understanding the market demand for its products. Layoffs have hurt as mgmt has sent work to India at $16/hr vs $90/hr in the USA. Quality is poor and turn around is slow.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Lack of qualified people
Uncertain times
Mech Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 19, 2015
Good group of people to work with. Need better project managers to keep projects on schedule and within budget. Slow down in the mining industry has caused work force reductions and job uncertainty going forward.
Pros
team environment
Cons
mining industry in a slow period therefore job security is uncertain
super poor management
Laboratory Technician (OCPM) (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTFebruary 16, 2014
I was really happy whenI started working in the Lab because it is a state of the art facility with new equipment and wonderful lab technicians. The problem I had was with management. Not all the management but a select few. They were bully's that threatened our jobs if we complained about abusive work conditions. Some of the managers should not be allowed to work with people. We were not allowed to take breaks or socialize with each other. We all had a negative feeling about his place and the turnover was incredibly high. This was all overlooked by the directors of the facility and i feel that they should have done a better job protecting the employees.
Pros
state of the art facility
Cons
certain managers
Sweat shop tendencies
I might as well been the janitor. (Former Employee) –  There aboutsMay 22, 2013
Not the best position I've ever had, but I can say one of the worst. The blame goes from one disipline to another. There is no set rhyme or reason for the way projects are done.

Some of the projects have been done over 4 or 5 times because of the mistakes each disipline makes..

Hardest part of the job? Trying to get the answers you need to do the design right the first time.

The moral isn't great.

People here are pretty friendly.
Pros
free sodas
Cons
see above
No coment
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 6, 2014
Every day was a busy day.
Teamwork / Leadership Problem solving
Management to care of any and all needs you had right away as if you a were a very important person which left you feeling very important.
Co-workers were always willing to help out one another regaudless of what the problem was.
The hardest part of this job was leaving for the day. I enjoyed this job so much it was hard leaving for the day.
Pay day of course and the benefits the company offered. This company really took care of there people. This was a great feeling of appreciaton. Every person wants to know they are appreciated for doing there job and it was made very clear that this company recognized there fellow employees which left you feeling absolutely wonderful.
Pros
i was laid off
Cons
i enjoyed everyperson i worked with
Good company with very good hard working people
Welder/ mechanic (Current Employee) –  all over the united statesJanuary 11, 2014
typical day was 12 hrs of hard good work. It really helped me in my rigging and learning more on alignment. Great people and leadership. the hardest part of the job was some of the conditions but the company did everything possible to make it the best they could.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
pay is little low for what you do
Dynamic company sell very good product with hard working employees
Sr. Electrical Designer (Current Employee) –  bethlehem, PAApril 20, 2014
I really enjoy working here as there are quality people that are hard working and great mentors.
Pros
they have their own cafeteria for breakfast and hot lunches
Cons
i wish it was full time as it is only for a limited project 6-9 months

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flsmidth. Our community is ready to answer.