Flying J Employee Reviews

Customer Service
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 21, 2017
You get to enter act with all different types of people. You get to know them on their terms. Sometimes the truck drivers just need someone to listen to them due to 99% of their time is spent alone. You get to build a repore with each guest. Its always nice to have them come back and smile because they know you are willing to listen and treat them like a human.
Pros
Regular guests
Cons
to many people trying to be incharge
Productive, Flexible and Fun
Fuel attendant (Former Employee) –  La Grande, OR 97850February 21, 2017
Flying J was a fun place to work. They were very flexible with my schedule and they were very fun to work with. If there was one place Id work continuously, it would be Flying J.
Pros
Fun work environment and very flexible.
Cons
It gets hectic a lot with all the customers coming in and out.
A fun place to work.
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Corfu, NYFebruary 9, 2017
Flying J made a name for itself on how it presents it stores to the customer and the employees are the ones who make sure that the guest receive the best experience while they are there.
Different customers almost every day.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDFebruary 5, 2017
You would meet all types of people everyday. Some days would be busy because of bus loads of people traveling through and other days it would be quiet.
Pros
You meet new customers every day.
Cons
You have to be a people person or this job is not for you.
Very interesting place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, SCFebruary 4, 2017
If you like meeting all types of people, this is a great job. Very fast paced and teaches you patience and tolerance. I love meeting new people and the challenges that the job gave me
Pros
Meeting people from different walks in life
Cons
Very fast paced and alot of dealing with rude angry truckers
Fun place to work
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Willard, UTFebruary 2, 2017
Enjoyed my time there. They did allow there to be fun and joking provided the work was being complete and the customers are taken care of. Great management team when I worked there.
Pros
Cons
Fast paced at times
Good Place to Work
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Structured and organized. This was a great place to learn the industry and management skills. There were a lot of hours worked considering the nature of the industry.
Pros
Structured and organized
Cons
Work / Life balance is not great
I would return to this company
COV 3 Manager (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSJanuary 12, 2017
Working at the Olive Branch Flying J was good. I had the hours I needed and worked with a few great mentors. I go by there as often as I can to visit. The work was steady and pay was slightly above minimum wage. Insurance was affordable and vaction was nice.
Pros
Met new and interesting people, pay was above average, benefits reasonable
Cons
Stressful at times, long hours at other times
good job
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 3, 2017
fun atmosphere great workplace excellent management appeared to be opportunities for advancement if you are looking to make a career out of restaurant business/ retail sales.
Productive and friendly place to work
Scanning Assistant (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTDecember 19, 2016
I held a temporary job for about 6 months, so my review can only be based on that work environment.
I loved the management style and the comradery of my fellow employees.
This job was simply scanning and digitally filing documents. No part of the job was difficult.
What I enjoyed the most about this job was the way employees were considered by management. Everyone was highly valued no matter what level of job they held.
Pros
Relaxed, but productive atmosphere. The trust and support of management
Cons
There were no cons. The job met my expectation.
Productive and Hard working
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 14, 2016
At Flying J i was well liked, an advocate for getting my work done before breaks\ lunches. If have no work to do was very good at finding work to do.
Decent job
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowell, INDecember 2, 2016
Benefits were decent, A very busy place so always had something to do there. Team was good. I was a manager, enjoyed the teaching &the responsibilities
Nice place to work and was very friendly people and experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Walton, KYNovember 26, 2016
Staffmark didn't get me this job at Flying J , but it was a good job at the time . I was to prep the food for cooking and to clean dishes when neccessary .
nose to the grindstone
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTNovember 17, 2016
depends on what dept you work for, but mostly it is expected of you to work while you are at work. socializing is looked down on during work. not a lot of perks unless you are upper management.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
kind of low key
Productive and sometimes fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Union Point, GANovember 14, 2016
Overall flying j is a fun place to work on a day to day basic you will be very busy and things can change rapidly. For the most part i did get along with all of my co-workers however some of the hire up manager could have done a better job at communicating with the staff and come together more cohesively with helping one another out. The most enjoyable part of the job is the new people that you will meet on a day to day basic the hardest part is trying to please everyone, they want you to meet the needs of everyone from corporate on down to the rude unruly customers and on a realistic view i just don't think that is possible you can try but someone is going to get left behind which leave the staff to feel unqualified and inadequate which will ultimately make them hate there jobs and want to quite or hate the thought of just coming in to work because of the day they know the will have to face. If they were to improve on the communication and the pulling together to help everyone and not just themselves it would be a better and more productive place to work.
Cons
not enough help, lack of communication
very productive helping truck drivers gas, food, etc.
Relief Manager / Inventory Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, IDNovember 4, 2016
I always loved helping truck drivers with their gas fast, friendly, courtesy. I would help them by having the showers clean with enough towels for them and also the lounge have it mop, cleaned etc. Customer service 100 percent
Pros
Happy Friendly
Cons
N/A
nice place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spiceland, INNovember 1, 2016
very nice workplace
love the truck drivers and hearing all of their different stories
love getting to do different things
nice management all around
I learned you cant always judge a book by its cover
Enjoyed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYOctober 31, 2016
I enjoyed working there, management was pretty good. Some things need to be worked on, but I liked a few of my managers. It was a clean and sanitary work environment.
Hiring the right people
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Lodi CAOctober 20, 2016
I am very very qualified for the position I'm interested in. I've had over 19+ yrs of customer service skills and knowledge of how to get myself and my employees motivated to the point where having fun and getting our work done in a timely manner. The store stayed absolutely busy at most every shift. I enjoyed this because it made the day go by smoothly and quickly. I am also very good at customer support and satisfaction, everyone has a day when they are not themselves and I thrive on those situations.
Pros
The customer's
Cons
The customer's
Busy place to work.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYOctober 13, 2016
Hardest part of this job is dealing with is the weather and people who are upset for whatever reason. To much conflict between the various department management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flying J. Our community is ready to answer.