Flying J Employee Reviews in United States

productive, family oriented atmosphere
SHIFT MANAGER 2 (Current Employee) –  Tye, TXDecember 15, 2015
The business is constantly busy. There is no down time and always great customers coming in. The management is professional and consistent, allowing employees leeway for family emergencies. We are like a family and love every minute of our day. The hardest part of my job is that I am a perfectionist and expect more out of myself than even my managers do. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people every day and learning new cultures every day. I have learned a lot about cultural diversity in this position.
Pros
family oriented atmosphere.
Cons
I do not really know of one.
Very active environment to work in.
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Sullivan, MOMarch 22, 2016
Very fair work environment. Treated fairly and good benefits. Hard working co-workers and busy all the time. Administration worked with your schedule and raises were frequent.
This was a good company to work for although I felt among with my other coworkers that the work ethics and the salary given to each of us was not fare
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was enjoyable and fun at times, like all in general you need to remember you work with the public. So you get the good with the bad. But overall, I liked my job maybe because I was a peoples person, and always keep a smile on my face no matter what my dealings were with coworkers or management. As long as I know in my heart I was doing my work plus others, I always new some day things would or will change eventually, and there is like all other jobs, sometimes people need to step up or step down. I believe in being fare and equal with one another. Totally honesty..and Team work
Pros
I like the signing in and out for Lunchs. Good way on keeping up.
Cons
I liked the signing in and out for our breaks to.
Friendly family oriented environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 13, 2015
Friendly place to work but don't judge a book by its cover. Management communications needs re-evaluated. Room for advancement and pay raises is a comforting achievable goal.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
lacking communications
Working with Flying J
Cashier/Baker (Current Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXFebruary 28, 2016
overall great experience. Management team makes the job a fun place to work. Everyone is so nice and happy. The hardest part of work was dealing with truckers because some will come in with a terrible attitude. The enjoyable part was all of the new people you meet and interact with.
Terrible Terrible Terrible
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 28, 2016
I absolutely hate working for this place! They switched out the name of my department from customer service to "guest services" like we are some kind of hotel or something! None of the people in charge care that I'm a single mom who doesn't want to work til midnight or 1 in the morning! Like seriously these people that call in should like totally get a life already! Up side to it is I work with my life long BFF but she leaves earlier than me so we don't get to hang out anymore plus they totally separated us from each other! Whatevs it pays most of the bills I guess.
Pros
working with my BFF
Cons
Too many white people
Reasonable company to work for
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, IDMarch 4, 2016
Typical retail work plus add the fuel side. More to running one than most people realize. Reasonable pay, decent benefits. You do alot of merchandising vs. planograms in some areas.
Pros
Overall good to work for
Cons
Need to gain alot of fuel knowledge, laws, requirements, codes.
District Accounting Manager of 13 locations, spanning 4 states
DISTRICT ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTNovember 1, 2015
During my 10 year tenure of being the District Accounting Manager of 13 locations, I maintained a positive cash flow in these areas:
1-Bad Check collections.
2-Drive off collections.
3-Charge Back collections.

I implemented proven practices to minimize cash shortages/inventory shortages.

I was responsible for all P&L's and G/L for each location, to include monthly reviews, and for all corrections, per location. To include the Administrative P&L, and G/L.
Pros
Training the Accounting Department and Management staff on correct procedures.
Cons
Traveling most every week for 10 years.
Enjoyed working as a team/family. Very friendly co-workers.
Deli (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLMay 16, 2016
I learned how to make pizza properly, how to stock food and place the time and dates on prepped food. The management were fantastic, friendly,supportive, same with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was picking up on making the pizzas fast, but I tried, and was almost there. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving the customers, seeing them happy.
Pros
Amazing family oriented workers.
Cons
sometimes not on the same page.
Multicultorial
Certified Fuel Desk Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Station, INJune 14, 2016
Flying J was a pleasure to work for until they merged with Pilot. A typical day at work was never typical. I waited on drivers from all walks of life. It made my day interesting. I liked my direct management but I did not like my corporate management. The hardest part of my job was language barrier. The most enjoyable part of my day was making my customers day a better one.
Pros
compensation
Cons
job safety
hard but rewarding work
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMay 6, 2016
I was employed with this company for 11 years. I loved my job, and the people that i had the pleasure of working with. Had there been opportunity for advancement I would probably still be employed there. Sadly the company made some poor investment choices and had to merge with another company and that company closed the restaurants down forcing us out. I learned a lot from this company good and bad.
fun,flexible,fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYSeptember 18, 2015
all management care about their employees, very flexible scheduling, proper shift to shift communication, always happy cheerful co-workers
Pros
company discount, fast job promotions, great co-workers
Cons
some rude customers, equiptment malfunctions on ocassion
Enjoyed my boss and my co workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTJune 29, 2016
We got paid good and taken care of. I broke my ankle and had to be off work for 2 months but was able to return once it was healed. They took care of my pay and missing work plus all the medical bills and rehab.
Pros
good co workers and boss
Cons
managers were sometimes difficult to work with
Organized and professional
Cook, Cashier, Deli Host, & Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Matthews, MOSeptember 30, 2015
A typical day consisted of tending to employees and cleaning. I learned how to use cash register and deal with customers (even grumpy old truck drivers). The management was good. They would listen to employees, they helped, and kept everyone in a decent mood. Co-workers did there job and kept to themselves if possible. Hardest part of the job was dealing with truck drivers that weren't understanding. I enjoyed meeting all the new people and helping people when i could.
Pros
Half Price lunch
Cons
Dealing with truck drivers can test your mentality
Dont trust management
Cashier and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Lordsburg, NMJanuary 17, 2016
get all promises in writing never trust anyone, keep yourself covered its a battle to actually get anything done here. Management goes back on there work time and time again.
cashier
Cashier, stalked merchandise, bagged ice (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 11, 2016
i loved this job as well because i would be working at nights not alot of traffic. i stayed to my self did not like to talk to other coworkers because all they liked to do is get into peoples business and create problems. i would address it to the manager and still nothing was done.
gas station job
CASHIER PILOT (Former Employee) –  Austinburg, OHMay 20, 2016
A typical day is standing infront of the register and checking out customers, answering thier questions when you can, but mostly i had to ask managers.
Managers had to pick up shifts when emplyees got sick/called off
really quite boring
Pros
next to denneys?
Cons
terrible job
i love being around people
waitress/cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZMarch 14, 2016
flying j was like a second family to me , and my regulars were awsome to see knowing i made there day better. meeting new people on the time maybe seeing them come back again because you made it wroth coming back for.
Rude employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 14, 2016
Employees don't know how to talk to employees with respect. Schedule's being changed after being posted. Don't keep employee's update with changes in store. Show favoritism to certain employee's. Employee's taking showers without paying.
Meeting the customers
Waitress / Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2016
I loved working with the customers most of all. Sorry I had to retire from this due to health. Would go back if I could this type of work if I could find a job like this again.
Pros
Fun and loved the customers
Cons
hard work