Flying J Employee Reviews

A very busy environment. Enjoyed all of the customers
Cashier, Relief Manager (Former Employee), Olive Branch, MSAugust 22, 2015
Pros: Being around customers who seemed appreciated courtesy and kindness.
Cons: Management did not appreciate an employee who was truley committed to the customers
I really loved this job! Running the fuel desk for truck drivers along with being able to give the directions around the local area. The hardest part of my job was working at a business that was open 24/7.
There were a lot of double shifts available. I felt like I was the only one who thought about how these drivers were gone from home so much. So for that reason I always tried to talk with them, smile and be helpful.
Challenging Day to Day
Manager (Former Employee), Fargo, NDAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Flexible, discount on food
Cons: Short breaks, hours could change, no management support
A normal day can consist of stocking, sales, and customer interaction. Management at times has been difficult to work with regarding their employees. While some will attempt to support and lead the staff, others feel it to be more appropriate to attempt scare tactics. They provide a discount for foods in the kitchen. The store at the time experienced a high rate of turnover during a new GM transition. It became difficult for current management and staff to fit well. Many staff left and new ones were hired in their place, who soon left.
Great place to get cutomer service experiance
Shift Leader (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 27, 2015
This is a great place to get costumer service experience, has great managers. This is a very busy truck stop where there is opportunity of growth.
Hard work for which the higher ups get all the credit
friendly customer service (Current Employee), Williams, IAJuly 24, 2015
Too much work thrust upon too few employees. Empty promises of advancement and or raises. They invest the least amount of time as they can in training employees.
it was my first job. i really liked flying j inc. i worked from dishwasher to general manager.
Restaurant GM (Former Employee), Ogden, UTJuly 6, 2015
Flying J Inc. as a great work place. I started working at age 16 and worked 10 years with the company I believe they taught my nearly every skill in the work place.
fun workplace. Nice people. People without judgement.
Cashier (Former Employee), Winslow, AzJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Free Lunches
Cons: Long breaks
The hardest part of a job would be the new employee. When you are the new employee you would the main person everyone would look.
pass or fail
Pilot (Former Employee), Lodi, CAJune 30, 2015
pilot/flying j is a home for all truck drivers passing through, so many different types of personalities, you must have tough skin and a great sense of humor. it is a fast paced environment with room for little error. the managers are quick witted and reliable.
Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rock Hill, SCJune 12, 2015
At the beginning of the job it is quite stressful. You to make sure your numbers are up high enough so you can't receive a write up. Your register has to be correct. Nothing over, nothing short. The Co-workers are easier to get along with than the managers.
Most enjoyable part of working at Flying j
Cashier (Former Employee), Dade City, FLJune 10, 2015
I really enjoyed meeting new people and learning different things like. Working the gas pumps, ringing customers up, making them smile, The managers understood when you needed time off.
Enjoy the customers and preparing the products.
deli worker (Former Employee), Fargo, NDJune 2, 2015
Pros: customers and employees
Cons: not fullfilling full time benifits, the changing on procedures daily.
Typical day at Flying J was a fun and a lot of walking and cooking. When working morning, major of the work is prepared for the day. Preparing breakfast item for hot case, facing deli items and counting products need to be made for the day. Prepare breakfast in the heat wells then soups for the day. Prepare the level of products which includes pizza, salads, fruit cups, following the prep charts for hot product in the case.
Learning to work closely with preparation charts, and cooking less more often. To adjust product levels for the demand from the customers.
With turnover of Manager within a month of being employed. I keep a positive outlook the everything would go smoothly.
Enjoy working with the employees. First company to work for the required us to personal get to know the customers. Take time to talk but still get our work done.
With years of being in management position then go in as a employees. Adjusting to the management style of the place was the hardest for me to understand. Old school taught me to follow policies and procedures the company wanted. Encounter all different ways of doing things.
Most enjoyable part of my job was the customers I meet when working there., Being a truck stop and ethical background of the truck drivers who enter the store.
Fair
Deli Lead (Former Employee), Pearl, MSMay 29, 2015
I was always on time and dedicated to my job. Worked non-stop till it was time to leave. My mystery shops were all a 90+. Great at giving the customers a great overall experience.
Fast paced, every day was a new experience
Cashier/Maintenance (Former Employee), North Platte, NEMay 26, 2015
Pros: Health insurance, 401K, management and co-workers
Cons: multiple scheduel changes with such short notices
Very understanding and compassionate management team. Was very understanding at a very difficult time in my life. The best part of my job was having amazing co-workers that worked well together as a team. It made things so much easier for everyone one of us.
Fuel Desk Cashier (Former Employee), Effingham, ILMay 23, 2015
I liked the customers that came in and some of the employees. It is fast-paced and makes the day go by faster.I learned a lot of the different departments of the travel plaza and found some were easy and some were difficult.
Fun workplace, Fun People
Cashier (Current Employee), Smithton, PAMay 22, 2015
Pros: discounted deli food, health benefits
Cons: breaks are sometimes skipped due to business, people quit alot and forced to stay longer shifts
Its a great workplace but can get very crazy hectic at times. The staff are fun and quirky just like me and I love how me make any situation fun. The truck driver tend to be a bit grouchy and very voice-ful when angered but we make the best of it.
okay company
Pilot (Former Employee), marylandMay 18, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: none
it was good to work there at the time i needed a job. stayed at #1 cashier for the time i was working there. If you are young and need a place to start working this is the place to be
MY EXPERIENCE
Wendy's Crew Member (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIMay 18, 2015
Pros: LUNCH WAS HALF OFF.
Cons: COULDNT RECIEVE BENEFITS UNTIL AFTER 60 DAYS
OVERALL, WORKING AT WNEDYS GAVE ME A GREAT EXPERIENCE TO DO THINGS I NEVER DONE BEFORE IN THE WORK FIELD. I GAINED MORE EXPERIENCE IN CASHIERING,AND COOKING. A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK FOR ME WAS GOOD MORE LIKE AVERAGE. I TOOK ORDERS,INTERACTED WITH CUSTOMERS AND MAINTAINED THE DINING AREA FOR OUR CUSTOMERS. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS KEEPING UP AND STAYING ON TRACK.WORKING IN A FAST FOOD RESTARAUNT MEANS EVERYTHING HAS TO BE DONE AND A FAST ORIENTATED ORDER. I PRETTY MUCH ENJOYD THE JOB MOSTLY COMMUNICATING WITH MY COWORKERS WAS A PLUS!
Enjoyable and outgoing job
Cashier (Former Employee), Seffner, FLMay 17, 2015
Fairly calm unless there was an issue with customer, always felt safe.Typical day at work included sorting cold cooler and stocking shelves. Handling large amounts of money was a daily occurrence
nice place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee), Austinburg, OHMay 15, 2015
I enjoyed my work at Flying J, management was very easy to get along with, job wasn't too hard, very safe and clean work environment.
Decent minimum pay job
customer service (Former Employee), Orange, TXMay 14, 2015
You are expected to up sell items at the register that feels like nagging, but the rest of the work experience is not bad. Meeting new people at a high traffic location is always fun.
Not a great place for advancement
Pilot (Former Employee), Kingman, AZMay 12, 2015
Pros: The truck drivers
Cons: Not very personable
The work itself was not difficult, but it wasn't exactly for me. The customers were my favorite part of the job, truck drivers can be amazing people. They management and the company just didn't provide time for us to show how appreciative we were of the drivers. The company seems to show gratitude, but in my eyes they could have done more.