FM Global Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Windows System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIAugust 16, 2016
Great company with many opportunities for advancement. Excellent benefits and competitive pay along with a great employees make this a great place to land.
Great company
Manager/Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RISeptember 17, 2016
A typical day at work: Arrive between 7:30 & 8:00 (my start time.)
Phones would already be ringing since we are a Global company. With the type of insurance we handled it was very confidential in nature and we made sure it was kept that way. When not on the phone customers would visit our private work area, or offices for an explanation of coverages. Particularly the people from Europe since they purchase insurance differently in other countrie.. It was a very busy atmosphere.

The company has excellent benefits; sick days, vacation days, flex time, 2 personal days, a gym , walking paths, excellent salary, long term disability coverage. FMG is a big supporter of the United way. During the fund raising time, they had various fun activ

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my client base. That I loved.

I also worked with great Account Supervisors who were very knowledgeable of day to day operations and kept things moving.

The best part of my job was interacting with people and providing assistance to those new to the U.S. I simply loved it.

The hardest part of the job me was setting objectives for the year and meeting them. Also difficult was my initial budget exposure, getting reports from Finance and becoming familiar with all the lines on the report.

What I learned: Our CEO was the best. Also, being a multi-cultural company I learned so much from the various people I met regarding their cultures and concerns. I met people from London, Sweden, Australia, and every office where FMG set up location.

There is so much I learned
  more... it would be impossible to write it all down.

But I always refer people to the Company.
Pros
A cafe where you can get coffe, tea, snacks all day.
Cons
none.
Nice
Co-Workers are pretty freindly
I enjoy each and every moment
Management is very good
There was no typical day at work
Productive and fun place, no one is "chained" to their desks
Reporting Data/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIJanuary 25, 2017
Management is key for an excellent work environment. This they delivered in spades. Job requests were easily completed.
Pros
No micro management
MULTIMEDIA MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RINovember 17, 2016
Good place to work if you have a background in Engineering and Insurance. Very relaxed atmosphere with many, many long term employees. People have spent their whole careers at FM Global.
Nice
Jurisdiction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 8, 2016
Great place to work for anyone that's a loner and loves the open road
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Excessive travel near zero office community
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Cons
Excessive travel near zero office community
Like working in 1997...and not in a good way
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIApril 28, 2015
After coming from a larger insurance company, it's amazing to me how FM Global stays in business. The IS management has no real industry skill, and most of them only have their jobs because they've been here forever, "Tenure over merit" should be the company motto.

There is no emphasis on career or professional development. While HR puts an emphasis on it, in practice managers just sweep it under the carpet, and ignore fundamentals like goal/objective setting, and skill advancement/training.

Aside from incompetent management, and lack of career advancement opportunities, the work life balance is pretty good, and the benefits are adequate.

Had I known what I was getting in to, I would have never accepted a position here at FM Global, and I would not recommend the company to any of my friends/colleagues.
Overall, a good company to work for
Senior Consultant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 5, 2017
Consultant engineers perform field work that is very complex. Company car and tablet are provided. Training, both in classroom and in the field is extremely detailed. Expectations are very high.
Very productive and interactive work place
ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RISeptember 27, 2016
everyone are very supportive and has a lot of learning experience.Flexible to work.Fun to work with FM Global.The business is also really vast and a lot of free to express thought of nature
job security, great benefits, negative culture
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johnston, Rhode IslandSeptember 8, 2015
Hard to get to fired
Understaffed and Overworked
Management promoted due to tenure and not skills
gossip and backstabbing encouraged. Very political atmosphere.
If you are looking to advance this is NOT the place for you.
Nice vacation package, great benefits, 401k, health insurance
Pros
Pensions, 401k, Vacation and sick days
Cons
No Growth, highly micromanaged, a LOT of gossip, promoted based on who you know
Low pay, bad management - Go elsewhere!
clerk (Former Employee) –  johnstonFebruary 27, 2013
I worked for this company and was very unhappy with the job, the pay and especially the management - who are very sarcastic and treat the employees like overpaid idiots who can't do anything right! They even make up problems and put you in the middle just to prove their point! You try to defend yourself and that seems to make them even more determined to make you look bad! The pay is low and they didn't even give me a pay raise for the last three years that I worked there! They like to justify it by telling you how much they pay for your benefits. Come On! They treat you like a grade school kid by telling you not to be late because the CEO's window, in the Johnston headquarters, is near the entrance and he can see you! Like he even knows who you are!! SPARE ME! I worked there for ten plus years and had to work for the most agravating supervisor in the world. her name sounds like face. SHE WENT OUT OF HER WAY TO DO AND SAY EVERYTHING BAD ABOUT ME IN ORDER TO GET RID OF ME. I was glad to leave there and look for a better job with a good. That was a Big relief!
Pros
good cafeteria and food!
Cons
the poisonous atmosphere that the management strive to maintain!
Value years of service, rather than education or experience- Johnston RI
FM Global (Former Employee) –  JohnstonFebruary 21, 2013
A nice building to work in, but if you are applying with any experience or education it means nothing. People get moved departments due to years of work and are giving job roles with no experience.

Most managers have worked their way through the ranks after years of grafting, and by pleasing the right people. The pay is below average, and they value benefits as dollar signs.

If you are happy to work in a building with an average age of 40 + who have worked there for 10 - 20 years then this is the place for you.

Finally they have bad management who are lacking social skills and people skills, who show presentations of themselves to their department, it is very cringe worthy.
Pros
nice building, moving blinds
Cons
parking spaces are color coded, education and experience means nothing, bad management.
Great working enviroment
Sr Specialist, Windows Client Technologies (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIApril 5, 2014
Working with professionals using cutting edge technology.

Learned to support every operating system, infrastructure technologies, and client/ server support

Great management, employee oriented

co-workers are a great group of people both professional and personal.

Hardest was keeping up with ever changing technology

most enjoyable is learning the latest technology
Pros
great working enviroment
Cons
some long hours/ days
Great Potential
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJune 27, 2013
This is a great company to work for in terms of benefits and great people, however those in management positions have worked their way up from the very bottom and although they are extremely knowledgeable in the tasks and skills required to get the job done, they fall short in effective management styles that need to be implemented for the success of a total department.
Pros
Excellent Benefits and Great Coworkers
Cons
Limited growth potential
Great benefits, limited career opportunities for administrative positions.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 9, 2015
Great benefits, nice work environment and job security. Limited career opportunities for administrative positions.
Network Security Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIMarch 31, 2016
A good experience but at the same time it was comfortable but not exciting work. If you want a place to settle down this is that kind of company but if you want to be in a fast paced environment this is not it.
Good company, horribly inept middle management.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RIJune 2, 2014
Stable company, good benefits and pay, but absolutely terrible management - most managers are horribly unqualified to be in charge of people and take credit for the work of others. Also, too much nepotism and more lateral than vertical movement.
Pros
Good pay and bonuses.
Cons
Management is terrible.
Consultant Runoff Operations
Claims Examiner / Consultant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MASeptember 11, 2015
I would come in and make sure e-mails are answered, filing is down, work on project assigned to make sure to meet dead lines. I loved coming to work everyday enjoyed working with management and staff! working independently and solving any problem that would come up. I am ready for new and exciting chapter to begin.
Pros
flexible schedule, co-workers
Cons
favoritism
Busy insurance environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parsippany, NJOctober 24, 2013
Small insurance office. Headquarters are in Mass so little chance for advancement. Busy work environment.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
Little chance for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FM Global. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2