FN MANUFACTURING Employee Reviews

They are passionate about the guns they produce
CONTRACTS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 4, 2017
This company takes great pride in crafting the best weaponry possible. Their quality standards are very high and they are proud of the military weapons they produce.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Sometimes the employees with longevity look down on new hires
Productive and great place to work.
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 20, 2017
FN is a place where you feel important and are taken well care of. It's the closest atmosphere to a family i have experienced in the work field and am grateful for the opportunity and experience.
good place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 21, 2017
great people great machines clean workplace nice food wish they wouldnt cut hours but i miss working there typical day at work was running a few machines running a cmm and checking with gages
Great place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 2, 2016
Clock in at the beginning of the work day and report to station. pick orders that are to be transferred to work stations to complete orders for shipping. at the end of the day, clean up work area and report to manager/supervisor before leaving for the day
Pros
Great atmosphere, safe working environment, positive attitude amongst co-workers
Cons
Long shifts, little to no breaks
Robotic CNC Cell II Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 24, 2016
Great learning experience. Had the opportunity to learn different job duties. Great place to work, Worked different shifts. Experienced off-site job training.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
great place to work, with great benifits.
Production Scheduler / Buyer Planner / Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 15, 2016
Manufacturer of military, commercial firearms, and aftermarket products for the gun and firearm enthusiasts.
Large percentage of components are purchased and assembled in the factory.
Pros
Modern facility, great benifits
learned to make guns
Commerical Assembler (Former Employee) –  cola,scJanuary 22, 2015
I enjoyed this job to the upmost very fast paced the hardest part was getting guns assemblemed and tested to make sure they fire correctly. and when atf came to do a serial number audit.
Pros
paid every week 4 days on 3 days off
Cons
no break
Great place to work. Dedicated/knowledgeable employees
Sr. Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Columbia SCMay 17, 2014
typical day included a review of hourly employees productivity, team meeting to discuss the previous days productivity, assign the current days objectives, attend several meetings with other teams for their input, current & future requirements, & meetings on continuous improvement teams, There was daily interface with accounting, quality, & Engineering. Communication was key in success. A monthly meeting was held with the upper management to report key KPI's for the Business Unit. The workers at N are the beat. The hardest part of my job was juggling all of the various priorities from the various department. The most enjoyable was working with the people.
Pros
Current update on all key objectives
Cons
The meeting lasted 8 hours
Decent place to work
BUYER II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 10, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of putting out many "fires" that showed up on our desks daily. I learned a great deal about government procurement and government approved vendors from this job. The management was part of a "Good Ol Boy" network, so there was not a lot of room for advancement. Management also had a tendency to make off handed comments about the female employees.
Pros
Co workers, vendor / supplier relationships
great
supervisor bryon cox (Former Employee) –  coulmbia,scApril 28, 2014
great place all around, only porblem is keeping production flow going
Laid back enviroinment
Serial Number Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 17, 2013
Because this is a manufacturing company, I would verify orders either coming in or going out. Make sure all documentation was in order either from FN or from the buyer and that all information was being followed by the ATF guidelines. I enjoyed working with both my management and with my co-workers. Everyone will help eachother out and provide guidance and assistance when needed. The hardest part of the job was doing the ATF Audit only because it was a massive undertaking to verify all of the inventory but it was also one of the things that I like doing as well. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with.
When we had a Military Contract......(2008)
M240 Assembly (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 29, 2012
The 12 hour shift for 3 days was worth it! Paid for the equivalence of 40 hours plus full time benefits. Won company products on Family Day, and Christmas party! Would Ford or GM give away their cheapest car to an employee on a raffle ticket? Too bad we lost out to Colt. I was part of a mass layoff. Miss the people I worked with. It's a young man's job.
Pros
treated the employees with respect! decent pay!
Cons
long hours on your feet, filter fans broke down alot. greasy clothes!
Worked with a large variety of specialized CNC and gun manufacturing equipment.
Lead Shift Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 26, 2012
The shift started at 5:00 pm and ended 5:30 am Friday Saturday Sunday. Worked with production on machine break downs,facility issue and scheduling of preventive maintenance on equipment. Learned more about calibration of specialized equipment. Management was good and co-workers were nice. Getting acclimated to working the third shift mini was about the hardest part of the job. Trouble shooting and problem solving of CNC equipment and knowing the parts we made were going to protect the lives of the men and women of the United States Military and other government agency's was the most satisfying part of my job .
Pros
great benefits
Cons
shift change
Earn, learn and have fun while you work.
Armed Security Technician II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 20, 2012
I worked on 2nd and 3rd shift during my tenure at FN. A typical night at work for me consisted of maintaining an automated Security Log; monitoring and reacting to security alarms,conducting internal and external security tours, employee and visitor security check; inspecting vehicles entering and leaving the facility; monitoring cameras and escorting service and cleaning personnel, and opening and closing employee entrance and exit gates during shift change. I was provided the opportunity to learn all aspects of basic security operations and dignitary escort. I also gained a great deal of knowledge about dealing with different personality types. Management was great most of the time. However, there were times when the security supervisor and the security department was micro-managed and in some cases upper security managers felt that security were a liability because the department did not produce a product. My co-workers were great. We were a close nit group of military retirees and veterans. Just like in the military, we did our job and covered each other’s back. We developed some lasting relationships. The hardest part of the job for me was coming in on my off day for training (even though we got paid), responding to internal security alarms when no one was in the facility, escorting terminated employees and working on weekends and holidays when the production lines was close. Most enjoyable was four day work weeks, not working on weekends my last couple of years, talking with employees, going to the range and being supplied 200 rounds of ammo per month at no cost, and the  more... thanks we received from management and employees in the form of gifts and perks during holidays and throughout the year. The best civilian company I ever worked for. I left my position in security to work for the DOD. Had I not accepted a position with DOD I would still be at FN. Best employer in Columbia, SC if not the North East.  less
Pros
starting pay equlivent to gs-05 setp 01, great medical benifits, matching 401-k, support futhering your education, dedicated employees
Cons
working on holidays and come in on days off to train or qualify with weapon
horrific managment along with terrible place to work
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 29, 2012
FN is Belgian own and if you are an engineer you might as well be working with a union. You cannot do any implementation which they do not use Belgian because "its not how we do it in Belgian terrible
Productive and fun workplace
Security Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 4, 2012
Make sure all reports are emailed first thing in the morning. Process items brought back to the shipping department or security station. Help out co-workers on the packaging lines and in other areas. Hardest part of the job was dealing with different personalities on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that we could move around constantly and meet people everyday. Learned how to deal with different personalities, assemble weapons, and qualify with weapons.
Pros
family day, annual christmas party, great benefits, wonderful co-workers
Cons
different personalities can be difficult, lifted heavy items at times