Focus on the Family Employee Reviews

Focus was an enjoyable place to work.
Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 5, 2017
I ran small events for other departments in the company, including department holiday parties, lunches, dinners and guest parties. I really enjoyed my fellow co-workers, and we really worked well as a team for large events and conferences.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 18, 2017
This was a great place to work. The atmosphere was great and calm. I processed mail orders and took phone calls and never had a problem there. Employees got along with one another.
Heart is in the right place
N A (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 5, 2017
The company's heart for families is in the right place, but management decisions and styles vary widely from person to person. If can gain new skills there, it's a good place to work.
Correspondent Assistant
Correspondence Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 24, 2017
Answering phones, responding to specific constituent needs about broadcasts, resources. Oversaw book, magazine, and prison specialties. Recorded comments from constituents. Provided encouragement to distressed callers, and built bridges with critical callers.
Pros
loved ministering to callers, writers and loved the team work.
Cons
long hours sitting at desk.
Fun pleasant atmosphere
Telephone Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 3, 2017
I feel that I was miss lead at the job interview. To many conditions to be eligible for the pay that I was quoted.. was promised 10 hour and it turns out you have make a certain quoted to get the 10 hour so I've been getting 8.00 hour.
Pros
The hours
Cons
pay
It was a Call center environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 28, 2017
A typical day started by signing in and then you went according to a strict schedule with lunch and breaks written into the schedule. Also, the calls were monitored and timed. The hardest part of the job was to be empathetic and yet keep to a certain time frame for the call. Also, having so many calls per hour has difficult. The most enjoyable was talking to the customers on the phone.
Pros
It had regular hours and you improved communication skills
Cons
High pressure to keep a certain amount of calls and use a little amount of supplies.
Great place to work over all, but has some serious issues.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 24, 2017
Let me start by saying most of the people here are amazing and are always there for you. With that being said, there's consistent lay offs that could be avoided if they managed their money better.

They fired 14 people one week out of nowhere throughout the ministry, and then asked for prayer at the monthly staff chapel for the management prayer retreat at the broadmoor that was catered. Focus has a beautiful campus with plenty of conference rooms. They also fly most management first class to events and conferences that aren't necessary which could save people's jobs. It's extremely frustrating to employees to see this! They also spend money on 90 inch HD TVs for every conference room and there was at least 35, management also holds meeting for themselves which are catered by an expensive dining company. I couldn't write the monthly thank you letters to donors in good heart after seeing how they spend their money.

They just lost almost every senior member of the customer service team, people who had been there 25 years left without notice it's getting so bad. It just shows how fast this organization is going down hill, the new tenants on campus brought a new environment and it's not a good one because they are treating the tenants better than the focus employees.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Low wages across the board, terrible and selfish money handling, very judgey environment.
Family Oriented Organization
Manager of Post-Production (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 3, 2016
They do Focus on the Family - just like the title implies. Working to help build families and marriage from a Christian perspective.
Pros
Great co-workers
Fun and Educational
BOOKSTORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 25, 2016
I was able to witness this first hand the love shared at FOTF. I was on an incredible team, with incredible leaders, I was given the opportunity to shine in everything I did. Great place to be from!
Unsafe environment; distrust of management
Licensed Professional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 5, 2015
Peers and colleagues are great!! Committed and loyal to the ministry. Unfortunately upper management have not cultivated a safe and trusting environment.
Benefits
dynamic place to work with amazing people
Correspondence Staff (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 31, 2015
Focus on the Family staff is a compassionate, caring group of people who genuinely care about their employees. This was among the best places I've worked, and I would recommend this organization to anyone seeking employment.

I learned to multitask several different jobs at once, including training new employees.

The hardest part of the job was leaving it as I chose to stay home with my newborn.
Pros
benefits, vacation, atmosphere, management
Cons
compensation
Fun workplace with a sense of purpose.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 24, 2015
Materials handling is a very physically demanding and often monotonous job. But, for anybody who believes in the organizations mission, there is no denying that the position is an important part of getting the message to it's intended audience.

The job most commonly involves: bundling and wrapping mail, moving filled mail trays and pallets, feeding and adjusting mail inserter machines, hand filling smaller mailings with irregular materials (i.e. cds), or sorting and strapping bundles of mailers or magazines. Pallets and mail cages often weigh in excess of 800 lbs.

Breaks are regular and communal, team-building exercises regularly occur during paid work hours, overtime was optional, and paid time off requests were usually granted. The team was overall very easy going and enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Sense of purpose, regular breaks, fun environment.
Cons
Was in major restructuring at time of employment.
Working here gives you a sense of really making a difference
Community Promotions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 10, 2015
working at this non-profit job was challenging at times because it relies 100% on donations, and job security is not something that can be promised. You have the ability to help families and make a real difference in people's lives.
Pros
discounted materials in bookstore
Cons
not much opportunity to advance within the company
Hard working employees who believe in the cause of Helping Families Thrive!
Senior Vice-President, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 27, 2015
Focus on the Family has a great group of employees who share a purpose in their work and are loyal to the cause of helping families thrive in Christ. Working at a Christian non-profit when economy causes continued downsizing is hard, but the response of each employee was positive and encouraging. The medical benefits offered were excellent and they truly care about families, which is their driving purpose. One unique aspect of Focus on the Family was the 24 classes offered weekly ranging from Ping Pong tournaments to Watercolor classes all taught or led by volunteers from the employee base. Over half of the employees participated.
Pros
three weeks of vacation to start, great medical benefits and 403b.
Cons
Growth opportunities limited as organization continues to downsize.
Excellent organization with the knowledge and maturity of experience, great environment, great mission and great team
Hispanic Ministry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 20, 2015
A great organization to work for and to volunteer for, great team sense and clarity of mission. A hardworking team that knows what they are doing every day and learns through time, helps it's employees and beneficiaries and treats them really well.
I loved it until they started laying us off in droves
Promotions Producer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 6, 2014
I loved working for Focus. They moved me here from another state and I had found the perfect job. Unfortunately, they had been slowly but steadily laying off their employees since 2008, and after losing nearly 1/2 their staff, they kept going. I was laid off, along with their entire syndication department. It seemed like everyone "creative" or "cutting edge" was leaving. Very sad. Seems like the wrong people are making decisions as to how they are investing their money. It was a great job while it lasted. I would have stayed forever.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits/job mission and pride
Cons
Unstable financial environment - mgmt not open to new ideas
Pastoral Ministries Receptionist
Pastoral Ministries Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 25, 2014
 Assisted Business Manager
 Fielded all calls and correspondence
 Inventoried and ordered office materials
 Created slide shows for monthly Chapel services
Non-profit with a mission
Director, Integrated Solutions (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 27, 2014
Working at Focus on the Family provided opportunities to impact lives that is not common in a corporate environment. Working on projects that you know will impact lives all over the world has great rewards. The work environment can be stressful with many changing
priorities. You have to be a very adaptable person to succeed.

IT department provided many opportunities to learn new skills and put them into practice. Being a non-profit, budget is based on donations and when they drop then tough decisions need to be made. This can cause stress and loss of valuable personnel. But that is part of the landscape of a non-profit.
Pros
Great benefits and you start with 3 weeks vacation
Cons
Long hours, vacations interrupted by work requirements
Productive, most enjoyable place to spend your day
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 22, 2013
This was not a job, it was an adventure that you got paid for! Various duties kept it interesting. The management and co-workers are the best you can find. One goal and everyone is on the same page to achieve that goal.
Sweet people, encouraging workplace
Constituent Response 3 (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 7, 2013
Amazing company with great values. Job could get repetitive if you let it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Focus on the Family. Our community is ready to answer.

Focus on the Family Reviews by Location