Fogo de Chao Employee Reviews

hard consuming work
Server (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2017
wine knowledge and meant very little, the culture was from brazil so the whole hierarchy is very evident. the hardest part of the job was how time consuming it was. The stress was high and the employees were not friendly, much of what i did was putting out fires dealing with bad news. The system of which they used for the food was also strange and difficult to use. Management did what they could to keep you happy but could not do much. The culture for ack a better term was sour and although the work ethic was good it was unrelenting and depressing.
Pros
better pay but still poor
Cons
sacrifice in almost all aspects of your life.
Potentially Good Job
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 9, 2017
They offer good benefits. The pay is decent. There are opportunities to advance if you ask before other people do. If you do not push for advancement you will be stuck.
Pros
Good work environment and business model
Cons
Under compensation for BOH
Fogo De Chao
Texas - Busser, Server, Bar Chef, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXDecember 30, 2016
Working here has its perks, for one the free food after every shift is a major one and also the quality of food is amazing. Downside is the management has started to micromanage every aspect of our jobs and it brings moral down in the workplace.
Pros
Free Food, Decent Pay
Worst Place for employment
Gaucho Chef (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 13, 2016
Fogo will have there employees believe that they are important when in reality they are not a "pro-employee" company. They do not offer PTO which means you can take almost 3 months off the job, but do not expect anything in return. Sick time is your time not theirs.
Pros
Free Meal, Healthcare
Cons
No PTO, Management
It is a productive and fun work place
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2016
Although I lifted a lot of heavy objects, I still enjoyed my job. My coworker were very pleasant and the management wasn't quite as pleasant.
Micro managed sales position
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 20, 2015
The company as a whole has great values, but be prepared to spend the majority of your time inside the restaurant (as a sales manager), completing weekly reports, sales calls that attempt to "train" you when you're already a professional sales manager and constant "shop calls" to evaluate your performance. Your phone will constantly ring, diners wanting to make the smallest reservations and you're expected to answer at all times. The bonus structure for sales managers is ridiculous and based on what your restaurant did the previous year.
Pros
the culture- Brazilian steakhouse
Cons
healthcare, benefits are not at all good, management is too personal, no job security, long hours.
Great company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 1, 2016
Fogo has been a wonderful company to work for. Hard and intelligent work is recognized and rewarded. The hours are long and it is difficult to get more than 1 day off per week once you are in management.
Pros
Compensation, opportunity
Cons
Work Life Balance
Love fogo
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PADecember 9, 2016
Best job in the entire world. The general manager is AMAZING. The kitchen staff is a great team. I wish I never left the company.
always had something to do.
Server (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 26, 2016
I loved what i did at Texas de Brazil, always had something to do. I learned how to cook meats and be good, talkative with people. The management was alright, they had their favorites and didn't really notice how others worked really hard, my co workers were amazing hung out with a couple people outside of work. The hardest part id say was when it got busy people were just kinda everywhere but I learned how to handle it. The most enjoyable part was just seeing the people how satisfied they got after a great meal and giving them great service.
Pros
free dinner
Cons
didn't really feel appreciated.
The restaurant in P.R San Juan
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 9, 2016
It started great, but the manager don't make the right decision, taking hours from good employees to give to less productive but favorite ones just because of getting along. Expect too much when giving too little. A waste of time unless management changes! So sad because at first they had potential until looks and Comodity was more important than a friendly respectful service, ANYTHING FOR THE GUEST, they don't apply there. Sadly
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
They take hours unfairly, bad management, no apreciation for good workers
Terrible Management
Prep Cook/Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 3, 2016
Management is not good unless you belong to the " favorites". The most favorite part of the job were the co-workers. The company does not deliver what they promise.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
Fun workplace
Hostess/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 6, 2013
The overall company is great to work for. Benefits and a solid job. I would say the language barrier is difficult to deal with at times but I love the people. From a host/cashier point-of-view it's good money in comparison to other restaurants that would hire little to no experience in the industry. Management in combination with coworkers feels like family. Aren't really "breaks" but there is, at times, downtime that compensates. It really is a team effort of working.
Pros
Free meal after every shift, EXTREMELY flexible scheduling, Medical/Dental after 6 months
Cons
Language barrier
Great co-workers, horrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Co-workers were a big self-esteem boost, everyone worked as a team. Managers were unsatisfactory and choose favorites.
Pros
free food
Cons
management
Fast paced, high volume, amazing team experience
Server (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisMarch 30, 2015
Fogo was the most popular restaurant in Indianapolis so everyday we had to be prepared to do a high volume of guests. I believe i gained extraordinary customer service skills and have gained an extensive wine and alcohol knowledge. Our management was very team friendly and pushed us all to meet our goals for the company. My co workers all preached a healthy team environment. The hardest part of the job was working in the month of december and january due to the extreme high volume of holiday and work parties. Mainly because it was so physically demanding on my body. The most enjoyable part was hitting our sales goals and seeing it on our paychecks!
Pros
health care
Cons
working virtually every weekend
company with growing pains that management does not handle well
Account Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 27, 2013
The company itself I had been proud to say I worked at and helped contribute to the success for 4 1/2 years. However, in the last couple of years there has been great changes and not positive ones from a employees point of view. The owner who built the business sold it about 2 years ago. Since then we have been bought out several times. There is confusion within the business and daily office routines.
Pros
once a month free lunch
Cons
insufficient insurance program, no retirement program. We were promised a 401K program two years ago that has never happened.
Fun job, good food but horrible management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 30, 2014
Working there was fun, the staff is really friendly but the managers are not. They do not appreciate your hard work and play favoritism, denied you a raise and positions.
Fast paced, high volume steakhouse
Bar Manager/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
Great restaurant and company. Good place to learn to industry of fine dining. Many opportunities for advancement. Good opportunity to learn about wine and spirits.
Good Money, Bad Management
Server (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 18, 2012
It is great meeting new people and taking care of their needs, but it can be painful when management no longer cares about their own employess. Receiving a night off for a wedding or family reunion is near impossible even with a three week notice.
Money is good but is pooled when some of the other servers might not deserve their cut.
Pros
free food after shift, consistent money
Cons
no breaks, bad shifts, late night, poor managing
Horrible Place Keep away
Prep/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 8, 2015
Rude and snotty managers. After teaching us the company chant (GO FoGo), they actually demoted me for using the chant while I was working"washing Dishes". I have never worked at such a clicky place in my life. I dont know how the other restaurants in other states opperrate, but the one in Boston have nothing but MASS-Holes.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
productive and fun work place
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 11, 2016
its a good job an excellent restaurant

in the morning we prepared everything for when the restaurant opened we were preparing the salad bar and we cleaned the kitchen preparing all covered

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fogo de Chao. Our community is ready to answer.

53%