Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

Stress with more Stress
Course Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 10, 2016
When I first started working for Follett, it was very much a Family oriented company. Now it is a corporation where only the mighty dollar matters. More and more is being asked of the managers with less and less resources, Upper Management keeps making mistakes and field associates are the ones paying for it.
Pros
Benefits (but they have started cutting these)
Cons
Upper Management, training, pay
Integrity lacking
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILJanuary 30, 2016
Pay is average at best compared to the workload you will have. You will be overworked. Those in higher positions appear helpful but will not keep anything you tell them 'confidentially' actually confidential. Most co-workers were friendly but be careful who you talk to.
Room for advancement is almost nill and pay raises are minuscule.
Pros
Decent co-workers, comfortable workplace
Cons
Miscommunication between departments, dishonesty on party of management.
horrible experience
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 16, 2016
The one place I would never return! There were no benefits unless perm full time, you can grow in the company, and I lost so much respect for management. The pay is horrible. So much expected with such little pay. Raises are terrible and lack of appreciation.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unprofessional, pay, management
Good for going to college at the time in which you work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMarch 10, 2016
The management is not nearly what you'd expect for a strong, successful company. They also have struggles with sales with their textbooks because of the price of the textbooks. There were o benefits for lower level positions, and the culture is a hire and fire kind of place.
productive and comfortable work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYFebruary 19, 2016
They keep you busy sometimes, but overall this is a pretty chill job. While you work you get closer to your coworkers and eventually build a relationship with everyone, even the customers.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
IBM e-commerce platform shop
senior software engineer (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Dynamic environment using JEE technology, Spring, Java and Oracle database. Business market share is shrinking and struggling to raise revenue apart from textbook business.
Pros
Nice office space
Follett Store Manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, MAOctober 7, 2015
A typical day at work consists of checking three email accounts throughout the shift, fixing daily problems, billing, accounts payable, scheduling personnel, training personnel, payroll, campus relations. The enjoyable part of the job is my team and the campus staff. The hardest part of my job is not being cared for regarding my corporate employer. I have learned how to be a supervisor, I have learned the maximum meaning to multitasking. I have been exposed to a tremendous amount of data entry, computer work and online research. I also have learned how to think outside the box to get what one needs.
Pros
Great store team, great campus contacts
Cons
benefits, lack of communication from higher up, a lack of mutual respect from higher up.
Great Start
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CADecember 5, 2015
Follett is a great place to work while you are a student. Flexible hours and it is convenient to work on campus. However, the pay is terrible and there is very little room to grow. A lot of work for very little pay. The early pay raises are very minimal.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Pay, minimal hours when needed.
Good company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLSeptember 6, 2016
Before I was hired by this company I had no experience in this field. I truly enjoyed learning all the aspects of the jobs I had that eventually lead me to the store managers job.I learned new computer programs when the company made changes to the system as well. The job had its challenges. The "rush" (time when the students were coming in to buy there books for the upcoming semester) could be somewhat stressful. Getting the inventory in for the beginning of the semester and trying to guess how many books were needed was a challenge. (Not all students bought their books from my store.) I found the job enjoyable for the most part. I felt I developed a very good relationship with fellow employees. Interacting with the students and school personal was very rewarding as well.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Some stressful periods of time.
DO the job you want and they will pay you for it
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  SouthSeptember 26, 2015
Best advice in this company I can provide is do the job you want and they will promote you to it. Don't sit on your rudder and whine about not getting the job when your coworkers are already practicing doing it.

Fair treatment all around.

Business model is good, execution is choppy when new directions are given.

They honestly try, but remember this is a weird position they are in. It is a vortex in which Big Business and Academia meet, clash, resolve, and move together. Two virtually opposing thought processes have to be negotiated and Follett does a good job at it.
Pros
Schedule Flex
Cons
Benefits, Pay
Not a great management to be around
Cashier, stocking, inventory, training (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 19, 2016
A typical day usually starts at 8:00 a.m. and I usually am the first cashier to get there to open up. The management doesn't seem to care whether you are happy or not with how everything is handled in a day-to-day basis. They never seem to leave their offices and don't really know what goes on every day. The co-workers are the best part of working there. Everyone is really friendly and close to the same age, so we get along great. The hardest part is trying to talk to a manager about anything, because they will twist your words and make you feel like you didn't get anything done by talking to them. The best part of the day is being able to hang out with the friends I have made there.
So far so good
cashier (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 30, 2015
I was just trained but it is temporary but so far everyone is very helpful and friendly. The training was quick but very easy to catch on. Coworkers seem to be very ready to answer questions.
Pros
10% discount and flexibility
Cons
no benefits
Clean and bright with no room to grow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  floridaSeptember 15, 2015
The way the store was ran with the basic management skill. It was about who you know not what you know. It was ok in the beginning until I started seeing how different the staff got treated. I witnessed people taking hour long lunches on a thirty minute schedule. The boss would leave right before deadlines and rowdy customers come in. She would take days out and schedule her best friend to take the same days off so she wouldn't have to drive to work.
Pros
cool co workers
Cons
no benefits, no hours, bad managment
Employment is stable
Cannot Disclose (Current Employee) –  Easton, PANovember 13, 2015
The company continues to experience growth year over year.
They have decent medical benefits.
They talk about employee appreciation but talking is as far as it goes.

Management does not show interest in developing employees. Employees only receive promotions and substantial salary increases when they find employment elsewhere and they are walking out the door.
Employees are expected to come into work on their days off on a regular basis. This is in addition to working 10 to 11 hours per day. There is no respect of your personal time with your family or just the "down time" that a person requires to recharge themselves.
Department managers do not speak to one another about their goals, objectives, or projects they are working on, so in turn, various departments are working against one another or duplicating efforts.
Employees are often put in compromising positions since the managers do not want to speak to one another, which can be very uncomfortable.
There is little to no accountability on the production floor.
Many managers have "grown" into their role and have had no formal management training.
The basic infrastructure to support a company their size is lacking and management does not want to make the time to allow it to be set-up.
Pros
If they have lunch brought in for a meeting, they will give you the left-overs
Cons
I just barely scratched the surface on the review, but you'll get the picture.
Exceptional work environment for customer assistance.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 20, 2015
Fast-paced work environment. All about customer service. A fair amount of structure and responsibilities, but not much trust in employees. Management was generally helpful but often being replaced or changed. Regardless of that, as a team we all attempted to keep up with ever changing rules and work together. The most enjoyable part of this job was assisting my peers and being able to make the customer at east and happy. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the temp workers and constant new management.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
No benefits and no potential to move up.
Unclear directives or constantly changing directives.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAJuly 6, 2016
As with any company, there are pros and cons. For the pros, I would say this company allows a lot of room for advancement if the employee works hard and displays a positive attitude. As a store manager, there are ways to gain a bonus once a year which is based on targets set by home office.
As for the cons, the company does not have a comprehensive training program. It would seem that training would be important at the beginning of the job start, however, it wasn't until over a year later I received any certified training. The company also lacks clear directives and when they do have clear directives, they often change at the last minute or when the previous job was started.
Great Retail Experience
Team Lead Store Operations (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAMarch 25, 2016
Follett deals specifically with colleges and college students around the country and in Canada. We have a specialty retail market, and a competitive one at that. We are always in competition with 3rd party sellers and private sellers, i.e. ebay, amazon, so we are always changing and adapting to stay on the forefront of the market. This company can provide great retail experience as well as teach the inside aspects of the retail industry.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
little room for advancement
Fun and friendly environment with young, motivated employees
Lead Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2016
Excellent managerial staff that is happy to train new employees to prepare them to help customers to the best of their ability. Usually each employee has a specific department they are assigned to (ie apparel, text, technology, etc) however once properly trained, it is easy to assist customers in any department. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my co-workers, most of them are students but it is not a requirement or an advantage to getting a position. Overall, I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Friendly, caring, and understanding staff
Welcoming and easily manageable hours.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COMarch 14, 2016
Easily manageable hours made it a great job to have while in college.
The best part was the work environment. Co-workers were always so helpful and upbeat. It made the whole experience much more enjoyable.
The only issue was the fact that so many of those hired on at the beginning of the year had to be laid off after the "Rush Weeks." Only one or two of the twenty or so hired on were retained.
No complaints about management or co-workers.
The most important thing I took away from my short time with Follett was the great need for kind customer service representatives, no matter the circumstances. Even if the customer is unkind or if you had a terrible day, cheerful and heartfelt customer service is what gets the best results.
Pros
Flexible work hours for students
Cons
Seasonal employment
Professional and productive
Lead QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILJuly 29, 2015
 Test Planning: Preparing test cycles project plan, test resources and logistics for different test cycles like Functionality/System/Integration/Regression/ E2E /User Acceptance. Proven ability to manage both Agile and V-model test strategies.
 Test Preparation: Creating test strategy, detailed test plan, preparing test management tool for test management, identifying test assets like scenarios, scripts, data sheets etc. Identification of key risks related to testing and create plans to mitigate the risks.
 Test Management: Leading overall test execution and management, governance (entry and exit criteria), monitoring test progress and quality, defect management and resolution of issues to facilitate smooth completion of test cycles, compliance of requirements traceability matrix etc.
 Test Reporting and Analysis: Prepared and lead status update meetings for senior leadership and other project team members. Published quality metrics of of application and testing process.
Pros
Dynamic work environment
Cons
Salary is not competitive