Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

Team Member 1 - Closer and Keyholder
Team Member - Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Your coworkers will most likely be good to work with but your chances of getting a raise and really low. I've been working with Follett for a year and need a raise (I'm the main shelf tag person, shipper, closer/opener, amongst other things) and my pay raise went from $8 to $8.50. Good work if you don't have bills.
Pros
Nice coworkers and manager, 10% discount on books
Cons
Not enough money if you live on your own
Poor employee relations
Store Manager III at University of Massachusetts (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 23, 2017
Follett is presently experiencing consistently lowered sales year over year. The management at the corporate level are making drastic moves to save the company. I was compensated well, but the culture is overwhelming negative and difficult to work in, however, I did persevere for 7 years, beating my annual financial plan several times, thereby achieving my bonus. Year after year now, the company is experiencing major layoffs. I found the moral quite low, despite my inately cheerful outlook
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits
Cons
Moral is very low company-wide
Changing landscape vs uncertain managment
Lead Ecommerce System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILFebruary 21, 2017
The pressures facing this well respected family-owned firm are both external from competitors that offer much better mobile platforms as well as internal from management that does seem to have a clear strategy for sustainable business.

The customer base, of college students and alumni, are being offered more choices by competitors while the conservative mindset of decision makers is seeing an erosion of margin and revenue.
Pros
Well respected traditional firm with good track record at some of the best colleges
Cons
Slow to react to competition
Great staff and teamwork oriented
Employee (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 19, 2017
Employees and department managers were always helpful and employees were very teamwork oriented. There were a lot of fun activities to boost employee moral and bring everyone together. The scheduling was a bit unfair, however, resulting in long hours and unnecessary overtime.
Pros
Employee parties, recognition, friendly employees
Cons
Long hours, short staffed, tourists difficult to deal with
nice people
Packer (Former Employee) –  Darien, ILFebruary 14, 2017
packing books for difference schools and colleges.recieving books for refurnishing.processing new paper backs for certain age groups.all reordering books.
Pros
the days went by fast
Cons
a long ride
The work place is friendy and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 13, 2017
I was working for this company just temporary and I had a good time, however, they never told me when was my last day they cut me off. I believe that was not professional and I think is best if they let their employees know when they will not be needed.
Pros
Fun, friendly, discounts, good breaks, understabtable people etc
Cons
No discounts on food etc
Fun And Fast
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 11, 2017
I loved the workers and the environment. I also love working as a cashier helping people. Knowing that i could make someone happy made me happy.
Great place
Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILFebruary 8, 2017
Typical office environment. Assisted sales reps with their orders among many other tasks. Specifically handled west territory.
Productive and fun place had healthy snacks daily
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 6, 2017
Although I was a seasonal employee, I enjoyed working for them, I relocated and I had employment opportunities in every city I went to and I needed that because I was new to the area and needed employment. It was great working with them.
Pros
Fun loving environment
Socially Interactive
Retail Team Member (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 5, 2017
Boxes of merchandise, mainly college textbooks, would have to placed on the shelves. The aisles were well organized so searching for each destination was simple. Sometimes, boxes containing clothes would need to be folded up and hanged. It takes a long time to finish but it is not a complicated process. When no more tasks were assigned, patrolling around the store and talking to customers were the things to do.
Pros
30 minute break only if the shift is at least 5 hours
Nice place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDFebruary 2, 2017
Load and unload trucks getting book ready to be shipped out we packed and lable the box to be shipped out When work was slow we cleaned our work station we waited for the trucks to come in
Cons
A great family run organization the treats it associates like part of the family.
Regional Manager of Sales and Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2017
Great growth opportunity and passionate leadership. The company has always been supportive of my goals and has been the foundation of my overall career growth and success. This from the commitment the leaders during my tenure had to drive my success and growth. Such fond memories of a great 17 years.
Was a great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 24, 2017
The company is changing. A few years of great culture and sales. Management changes at the top led to massive lay-offs, reduction in benefits and loss of clear direction. Lots of keeping balls in the air and people pleasing. Only very stressful 4 times a year. Culture has not been as good as it once was.
not bad place to work if you live nearby
Stocker (Former Employee) –  2233 N West St, River Grove, IL 60171January 18, 2017
My typical day was just taking books from a shelf placing them on another Shelf what..... I've learned some books have different code numbers books need to be correctly matching on the right shelf on they won't be in the system.... management was okay really didn't take kindly if you messed up...... my co workers where great people never had a problem.... hardest part of the job was mainly on your feet hardly no break..... what I like about the job was a bunch of cool people was basically down to earth
Pros
nice pay great Co workers
Cons
short breaks
Fun and Busy
Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 11, 2017
I was a cashier and floor walker. It was very easy. Most of the time it was slow, but sometimes there were rushes that would go out the door. I learned how to communicate well with people especially foreign people. Very relaxed management and co workers.
Pros
great co workers, great management
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, not much advancement options.
Follett
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 9, 2017
Cashier work, receiving, cleaning, keeping order of store room. Sizing students for upcoming culinary term, distributing uniforms to students. Great Co workers. Relaxed environment
Productive and positive environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 6, 2017
I liked working here, the management and other workers got their job done and maintained a positive environment. The only hard aspect of the job was the lack of staff.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJanuary 5, 2017
Great management. Training on the spot. Diverse positions. Fun coworkers.
Hardest part of job - temporary, lay offs occur during non-busy season.

Good work atmosphere.
I love my co-workers... follett corporation is like my second home
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJanuary 3, 2017
I love the company at Follett ....i also love my co-works , this my first job... They is so nice an patient with me. I wouldn't won't no other job .
Pros
Yes, we have lunch.
Cons
Yes, we get short breaks. & we eats healthy
Great Company
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 23, 2016
I worked at Follett (Less than a year)
Pros
I worked at a university bookstore for follett. They were flexible with my schedule and the pay was better than other on campus jobs.
Cons
The company is so unorganized whenever classes would start and students needed their books. Management would hire a lot of people and then lay them off without explanation.
Advice to Management
Treat your employees with respect and try to create an environment in which people would actually want to work.
Flag as Inappropriate Flag as Inappropriate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Follett Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.