Follett Corporation Employee Reviews

Relaxed Work Environment, bad boss
Mac technician (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 23, 2017
Work was laid back and we accomplished tasks at our own pace. The manager knew nothing about computers yet ran a computer store. Frequently ran negative profit margins by giving away expensive parts to anyone who complained.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Bad manager
Just like any retail job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 21, 2017
This job is just your basic retail job only its on a college campus and you are dealing with books for inventory. I didn't really like the manager at the CSN Cheyenne Campus she was a little standoffish. The Henderson Campus manager was great though.
Good stepping stone. Good work environment. Compensation is horrible, horrible, horrible.
Campus Store Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 20, 2017
Really depends on who your RM is. Compensation is very bad. One thing I can say is that the managers do have the authority to make changes and decisions, for this reason each location is different.
Follett is a good company to work for. I would recommend working at Follett.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 13, 2017
Sell text books/merchandise to students, receive invoices, process online orders, contact Ivy Tech faculty to see what text books are needed.

I learned there was always something new to learn such as new systems.

I was the store manager so I would report to my Regional Manager.

Community College

The hardest part of job is when we had a huge line of students purchasing their books and our bookstore was quite small.

I loved helping the students find their textbooks and I would suggest to the students to purchase Ivy Tech apparel.
Pros
Worked Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
Cons
Worked primarily by myself
As a student depending on this job for consistent hours was impossible. That being said follett is amazing at working around test schedules.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 13, 2017
Working on a college campus is in high demand, follett knows this and it would seem that they take advantage of the need that some students like myself had for work. Some weeks one can expect 20 hours while the next week you get 5. It became increasingly difficult to pay my bills but the convenience of working on campus made me continue here until my graduation. I was never afford a raise or even a compliment for my work nor was anyone I worked with other than management.
Pros
Works around availability
Cons
No regularity.
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJune 12, 2017
I had fun working for Follett.
The only complaint I would have is the pay and hours.
During the slow time of the year ( which to me seemed like 65% of the year) I was lucky to get 30 hours a week and my hourly pay was VERY POOR.
I'm lucky that at the time I was young and I made it work.
Whenever I would get a raise it was a very small amount, and I felt like I deserved more pay for my work.

I have nothing but good memories from working at Follett and made some good friends.
During the busy times of the year I was able to work all the overtime I wanted, so that was nice. But 12 hour days will wear you out quickly!
Pros
Fun work Environment
Cons
Pay was very low and the raises were very small.
It was okay
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJune 8, 2017
This job was great until I didn't get my paycheck one time which led me to not returning. I don't play about my money because I earned it, I had to change my bank account information due to fraud and it took them 4 weeks to change it in the system. Even then, my paycheck was still 4 days late in the mail. I dont like my money being messed with so that became a problem for me. However, the store manager was nice and helpful.
Pros
free lunches some times, fun co workers
Cons
Terrible pay, not worth it
Amazing upper management!
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILJune 8, 2017
I am the sole employee at my location and my store runs very smoothly. I appreciate the availability of the management at the larger campus store. If I ever have a problem I can call and they will help me work through it.

The hardest part of my job is the down time. Working at a campus bookstore that has around 600 students during a busy semester makes for lots of cleaning and organizing time.
Pros
Coworkers, management
Cons
Pay
Room to Improve
Intermediate Inventory Accountant (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILJune 7, 2017
There is no typical day customer service and teaching by phone, researchig and resolving issues makes it interesting and satisfying work to help individuals how to control their financials. This company is in transition and gong through growing pains.
Pros
Progressive in working remotely and a casual dress code.
Cons
People that leave are not replaced. Transition is difficult
Nice place to work, compensation could be better.
Distribution Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJune 7, 2017
Work is steady from May through October. Management is not overbearing ans as long as you are doing your job no one will hassle you. Compensation could be better.
Do not have regard for employees
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 7, 2017
The culture of Follett is a top-down style. They show no regard for the people that work in the stores. Follett manages by email and not by interpersonal relations.
Liked the job, didn't like the people
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  California, PAJune 5, 2017
Management was very disorganized and unprofessional. They prefered to gossip behind your back than be direct with you. I was a key-holder, "trained" for a week to open and close, but I only made .50 more than minimum wage and less than some co-workers who had less responsibilities. When I didn't want to work weekends (was initially told I wouldn't have to), my hours were significantly cut. When I made a mistake, I was vilified - despite the fact that I was thrown into responsibility without being properly trained. Overall, the job was easy and I enjoyed interacting with students, but management made my time there displeasurable.
Pros
Easy, customer interactions, meeting new people
Cons
Short hours, measley pay, management, high turnover
Professional
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 1, 2017
Follett was one of the most serious jobs i've had. I loved the professionalism displayed at follett. Follett was all about education and I loved that.
Pros
Professional, lunch
Cons
N/a
Horrible Culture and Management
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Westchester, ILJune 1, 2017
Very poor management in the Accounting Department especially. The entire company has a high turnover and gains new management that is undeniably horrible. They need a whole new vision. Cut-throat and no company morale is the description of the company culture. They expect a lot with little or no reward.
Pros
Free lunches on holidays
Cons
No breaks, judgmental, overworked, underappreciated, no growth, poor communication
Broken company
Course Materials Manager 1 (Current Employee) –  hurst texasMay 30, 2017
Follett could be a great company but the disconnect between the store and home office is dismal. Stores are constantly told to minimize loss but then disciplined for making decisions to do so. Employees are made to advise customers of return and rental rules but they are never held up leading to employees just not caring at all.
Store Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 27, 2017
It's a good place to work for entry level employee seeking to gain management experience. I didn't want to continue working in retail.
However, I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the college campus.
Pros
Great place to start for a college graduate.
Cons
Smaller stores are limited in the type and quality of merchandise sold.
first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 25, 2017
This was my first job at the age of 16 and this job was not difficult at all they were very nice and understood that I will need to learn a lot. They showed how to use a cashier and count the tilt and everything
Competitive and acquired skills thatcan be used on other jobs
TEAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 25, 2017
To start off the day, I would come in and check for Web orders to be shipped out. My department is the textbook area in which I maintain stocking and making sure inventory is in the right spot. I do price change reports, audits, and filing packing slips from received textbooks. Ive been promoted from temp to team lead and its an overall good place to work.
Company has lost it's values
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 24, 2017
Lack of support from regional manager and up.
The company is losing tremendous market share and it cannot regain any momentum to get it back.
Textbooks are no longer a driver in academic retail and this company still thinks it is.
Pros
being part of the campus community
Cons
company became to corporate and lost its values
Fun place with plenty of opportunity for growth and socialization
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 23, 2017
Managment is the best I have ever had. No where else have I found people who care about you more as a person than here. The only reason I would leave this store is because I graduated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Follett Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval