Follett Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and friendly environment with young, motivated employees
Lead Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2016
Excellent managerial staff that is happy to train new employees to prepare them to help customers to the best of their ability. Usually each employee has a specific department they are assigned to (ie apparel, text, technology, etc) however once properly trained, it is easy to assist customers in any department. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know my co-workers, most of them are students but it is not a requirement or an advantage to getting a position. Overall, I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Friendly, caring, and understanding staff
Unclear directives or constantly changing directives.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAJuly 6, 2016
As with any company, there are pros and cons. For the pros, I would say this company allows a lot of room for advancement if the employee works hard and displays a positive attitude. As a store manager, there are ways to gain a bonus once a year which is based on targets set by home office.
As for the cons, the company does not have a comprehensive training program. It would seem that training would be important at the beginning of the job start, however, it wasn't until over a year later I received any certified training. The company also lacks clear directives and when they do have clear directives, they often change at the last minute or when the previous job was started.
It's a bookstore
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 4, 2016
A typical day can be slow depending on the hours of which you work. There are four different areas of profession of which you are assigned. Management can sometimes be based on personal ties. Co- workers are co- workers and predominantly friendly. Hardest part is nothing. The job is fairly easy and doesn't require certification. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with customers the customers are all predominantly nice and easy to work with.
Pros
discounts on text books and appearel
Cons
short breaks, short hours, no advancement, rare raises
Hard-working associates, confused management.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Westchester, ILJune 14, 2016
This specialty retailer is a family-owned business for over 100 years. They have acquired several other businesses over the past several years, but have also had some dramatic layoffs.

The culture/values that are purported to be at the center of all the company does, are less evident in past few years.
Pros
Great co-workers, collaborative and interested in helping each other learn.
Cons
Tough to advance, rudderless and ever-changing direction from management.
Billing Clerk
Billing Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 23, 2016
Coming to work at Follett was like entering a place where your work is appreciated. Very nice atmosphere with nice energetic co-workers that greet you with a smile as you walk in the office. Even with it being fast pace at times everyone kept the best attitude and always made progress at the end of the day.
Pros
Great Food in the cafeteria!
Cons
Too many bees outside leaving the building.
Increased Experience
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 25, 2016
During my time with Follett, I have increased my customer service experience, which has been extremely beneficial. I have also improved my management skills, in regards to things such as inventory control and the management of people. Shipping and receiving procedures are now first nature to me as I am becoming more aware how important the seemingly small tasks are. The work environment at Follett is certainly a plus and is conducive to a positive learning environment.
Pros
Paid vacation time and flexible hours.
Cons
Wages should be higher for the ASM position.
Fast-paced workplace
RVCC Golden Lion's Bookstore Cashier (Former Employee) –  Branchburg, NJAugust 10, 2016
I learned that something done over and over again is not so boring, every transaction is different. Giving personalized custom knowledge on specific items help make a difference in a students work ethic.
Pros
Work with peers / community, and helping others find what's right for them
Cons
needs to sell more items to generate more hours and sales
fun work place
Picker and processor of different school books (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJuly 17, 2016
Everyday consist of picking, processing, packing, and receiving books. How to process book into the computer. how to clean them without destroying them. ok management. some co-workers was great while others wasn't. the hardest part was hitting your numbers(they tracked your progress everyday). meeting new people.
productive and fun
Receiving & Shipping (Current Employee) –  Takoma Park, MDJune 15, 2016
new things to learn everyday. getting to know about new technologies. very good atmosphere and friendly co-workers. new unexpected situation teaches me to learn thing every day. the hardest part of the job is newer software that i'm not quite familiar with. most enjoyable part is people are very friendly and management is very good,
Cons
minimum payrate
Fun place to work at
Hayward - General Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 6, 2016
The typical day at work was fast-paced and was filled with several responsibilities. I learned about apple and PC products and how to operate them. Learned how to operate and cash out my register. The management was great and they were always on top of things. Co-workers were a joy to be around and were always enthusiastic. The hardest part of the job as delivering knowledge of apple products considering there was so much to know. The enjoyable part was helping customers and being around my co-workers who are now my friends.
Sufficient work quality
Customer Service/Inventory (Former Employee) –  West Windsor, NJApril 22, 2016
The days spent working for Follett were satisfying and provided me with the proper social skills on how customer etiquette and service. The employees were kind and respectful and so were my supervisors who provided me aid when I could not properly help a customer. Remembering all the specific items was possibly the only difficulty I had while working, but thanks to my co-workers help that issue was solved. Getting to know the people who worked with me had to be the best part about the job.
Fun and friendly environment
Team Lead General Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2016
Follett is a college bookstore. In my department, we are always getting in merchandise daily to be received and put on the sales floor. My co-workers are fun to work with. My co-workers and I work together to get our work done especially on game days when it's chaotic.
Pros
For full timers, the company have really good health benefits
Cons
Not a place to expect promotions or any advancement.
Productive, Team Work, Fast Pace, and Friendly work envrioment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 21, 2016
What I have learned from working with Follett is leadership skills, marketing skills, and team player. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction and happiness of customers feeling confident and comfortable of buying books and merchandise items.
Okay place to be
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXMay 2, 2016
Not enough hours and sometimes more hours than you can handle (but only during a 3 week rush period once a semester). Pay is okay if you get the hours needed. Does not hire full time employees. Management is not that great, they have bad work related skills. Customer Care does not always seem to be a priority.
Pros
Close to classes and works with school schedule
Cons
Everything else
Comfortable enviroment to work
Buyback Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 26, 2016
In charge of $150,00.00 safe. Have to balance the safe and drawers of all the employees at the end of the day. Help with computer work when they are not understanding. Train new buyers. Give students cash for their used books.
Pros
meals and lodging paid for
Cons
seasonal work
Great Starter Job for a College Student
Sales Associate Temp. II (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMay 1, 2016
I enjoyed working as a cashier at the Follett Bookstore. The job has increased my people skills. The managers there were fantastic as they made sure I understood my duties and responsibilities. They taught me how to work their cashier and the proper script to use when interacting with customers.
Pros
Great for students, not for a career
Course Materials Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 25, 2016
Company is a little disconnected, often there is conflicting information with Regional Managers and home office. I have first hand seen the company 'throw away" employees that have been there for years. In a bookstore front it is pretty good as long as you enjoy your manager, but the higher up it gets the more disconnect.

Student workers are as disposable as career professionals. No true security within this company. This company is a good stepping stone, but there is no real security or movement for professionals.
Great Retail Experience
Team Lead Store Operations (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MAMarch 25, 2016
Follett deals specifically with colleges and college students around the country and in Canada. We have a specialty retail market, and a competitive one at that. We are always in competition with 3rd party sellers and private sellers, i.e. ebay, amazon, so we are always changing and adapting to stay on the forefront of the market. This company can provide great retail experience as well as teach the inside aspects of the retail industry.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
little room for advancement
Bookstore with great customer service and employee focus
Sales Associate (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 5, 2016
For more than 140 years, Follett has been the leading wholesale provider of textbooks. Their extensive expertise helps them deliver top-notch independent store solutions, from custom rental programs and signage to fixtures and asset protection.
High stress, but good business.
Manufactured Parts Planner (Current Employee) –  Easton, PAMay 15, 2016
I am proud to have worked for a reputable company, but the company is growing faster than it is equipped to handle. There is an enormous amount of stress on employees of all departments.
Pros
Profit sharing plan, opportunities for growth
Cons
Stress, Poor choices made in upper management