Follett Corporation

Follett Corporation Employer Reviews

if you are dying ,and need employment i suggest you apply.
sales associate (Former Employee), media,paAugust 25, 2014
Pros: working at school, students & parents, discouts on books
Cons: managers, associates, everything else that was not mentioned as a pro.
Okay first off I worked at a well known college bookstore. And it's very busy , I know first hand because I'm enrolled currently. My issues are with older established employees. How can I put this.. they will purposely give you false information so you can be looked at like a fool and ruin your chances of being selected for a regular job with the book – more... store. Secondly the training is NOTHING, but a stupid hunt of 14 questions. While you have over a hundred books to look through. It was not helpful. I'm used to working with big companies,and being trained properly. Here your thrown in on the busiest day of the semester working and dealing with scavengers looking for books literally! No brakes , no training , no direct deposit, nothing is good about this place. Not to mention the main manager is so rude ,and cold . It was as if he would shoot your mouth off If you cracked your lips to say could you please help me... But ending I like SOME of my co-workers SOME..I wouldn't recommend nobody working here it's just very unprofessional – less
Good Company
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee), Daytona Beach, FLAugust 10, 2014
Good company to work for. Changing Leadership. New policies
Dreams Diminish
Optimist (Former Employee), SomewhereAugust 7, 2014
Pros: quitting
Cons: slavery.
One of the most significant factors to the enjoyment of any career is the environment in which you work in. The relationship you uphold with faculty, staff, students, and fellow employees for this particular job has a great impact on your outlook of this job. Believing in company policy and entertaining the thought of stability and upward achievements – more... is an another factor to keep in mind.
Throughout my experience, I was able to create lasting relationships with different members on campus. The support and outlook of the college community on the services that the bookstore provides will only increase the faithfulness between the employees and the copious amounts of people they provide services to. I can proudly say that I will walk away from this experience with more a greater understanding of the business in Higher Education. With that being said, I would not recommend working for Follett.
Last year, after less than a year of my employment, the company had significant cutbacks with no warning to the hundreds of employees who had been cut from positions that they have upheld for years. Many of those people had established relationships on campus. It does does not shed a positive light on the company as an entirety to remove someone from a community, because that's what working on a college is supposed to be: A COMMUNITY. Follett fails to address this establishment. Understandably, this is a business (and one in dire need of attempting to uphold footing as technological advances are empowering the way the business is currently structured.).
Initially, I was proud to say that I was working for this company. They seemed to provide more-than-adequate training. However, it's all a facade. As it currently stands, their is a significant dissonance between not only the company and campus relations, but the company and itself. They are attempting to change their policies and procedures and structures at a pace that most stores cannot keep up with, which is resulting in a distaste between actual campus locations and the 'quote, end quote' higher-ups.
If you care about people, if you want to help students, if you care about higher education, if you care about making a difference,

Don't waste your time.

Thank you for your time. – less
Productive and fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), tomball, txAugust 3, 2014
Everyone worked great as a team! Management is great and the training is thorough.
complete cronyism and no job security
former manager (Former Employee), northern CaliforniaJuly 28, 2014
Cons: too many to list
Stay away from this dying behemoth with a vengeance. I spoke up against unprofessional and sexually perverse management and was fired.
Company robs its employees
Application Developer (Former Employee), IllinoisJune 4, 2014
Company hires full time employees having them work over time during week and work all day on Saturday and does not pay them since they are considered exempt. When project is complete, management gets rid of all employees who gave so many hours for FREE to company so they would keep their job. Company should hire contract workers who get paid every hour – more... they work but save money in pretense of hiring employees who will be there a short time anyway. Company has been operating like this since the mid 70's when I first was introduced to them. Nothing has changed at all at this slave joint in the past 40 years.

DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. – less
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM!!
Fairfield University Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fairfield, CTMay 26, 2014
Cons: lack of communication, breaks suck, not enough pay
This place sucks! The hours are horrendous. The money is horrible. Three years (since opening day) and a 35 cent raise is not enough to live of a week if only working one to two days a week. $9.00 starting. Management is horrible.

The management were I worked changed and the new manager wants to get rid, and has gotten rid of, the staff that has built – more... that place up. The management has no appreciation for any of the staff, only taking suggestions from employees they like. – less
Always changing and working with students is fun
Sales and Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Glen Ellyn, ILMay 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches during rush week, flexible schedule
Cons: not enough hours
Great place to work! Help student with textbook, computer / software, supply purchases.

Help student get money back during buy back week!

Help student make the best decision on what type of format to purchase; textbook, regular price, rental purchase, digital purchase, etc.

Support shipping and receiving with incoming product. Tag, count, and prepare – more... for sales floor.

Take customer service calls.

Lots of variety and day goes by fast! – less
Productive, fast-paced, and fun
Temporary Store Associate (Former Employee), Downtown MiamiApril 15, 2014
Pros: questions will always be answered, understanding of employees personal commitments
Cons: short breaks
It was an enlightening experience, never a dull moment in the workplace. The fast-paced environment keeps you on your toes, on every corner there is always a customer in need and something to do. Co-workers the majority of them were either students or highly experienced retail personnel that help you along the way.
Very well ran business with great co workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Tempe, AZApril 15, 2014
I personally liked my job with follett corporation at Rio Salado. I would get to interact with people all day while still get everything done around the store i needed to. The few managers that ran that store were great. They were very encouraging and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the middle of the day rush when 20 people would be in the – more... store at once all trying to check out at one time. the most enjoyable part of that job was definitely interacting with new people constantly – less
Company in trouble
Course Materials Manager (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAApril 11, 2014
Changes in the marketplace will continue to strangle this company.
Well Organized
Team Lead General Merchandise (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 6, 2014
Company is well organized. Know what they are doing.
Loved my co workers.
Management believed in me.
Rose quickly within the store.
Fast paced and repetitive but management is very helpful and considerate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), El Centro, CAMarch 25, 2014
A typical day at work consists of helping students find the books they need and then ringing them up at the register.
I learned how to use the programs for looking up books and how to inventory process works.
Management and co-workers made the job worthwhile.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with the amount of students that come in during rush – more... week.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customer find everything they need as quickly as possible. – less
Nice place to work with friendly people. The company values the employees needs and opinions. Fast growing company.
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee), Easton, PAMarch 21, 2014
Fast-paced, lots of growth within the company. Opportunities to work on a variety of projects.
Great hours until Rush when you work 12-14 hours a day 6 days
Store Manager II (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2014
Pros: bankers hours 9-5 m-f until rush then it's 7am-9pm m-sat
Cons: training is lacking, no job security, massive lay-offs, no authority, little support from corporate and dm
No formal training. I was given 4 days to shadow another store manager. I was not formally trained on the course materials ordering system or the store policies and procedures. There is only one person at each store who knows course materials, and everyone else is terrified of learning the textbook system. The store manager is a glorified supervisor – more... and not given the authority to discipline the employees. Approval is needed from Corporate and the Regional manager just to discipline a problem employee. When the school closes for snow days or inclement weather you are required to use your personal/vacation days. The company has done many lay-offs to full time employees. Store managers are required to learn course materials, deal with publishers, accounts payable, loss prevention, and daily operations of the store. This is very overwhelming and stressful. During rush the store manager is required to work 12-14 hours a day with no break. The manager also has to deal with textbook rental collections. The manager has to deal with upset instructors and school administration when books are sold out. There is little to no support from the staff or assistant managers because they are college students who don't give a care because they are only making minimum wage. Salaries here are not competitive and managers are under paid for the amount of work/stress that this job entails. – less
awful
store manager (Former Employee), massachsettsFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: slow, boring, who buys books?
Overall an awful company, the company is in a dying market, they fall to focus on the future, digital boom, computers, they fill the store with books, slow, I wanted to just die daily
Growing company with great people
Tactical Buyer/Planner (Former Employee), Easton, PAJanuary 30, 2014
Great manufacturing company with great people to work with.
Follett financially unstable, recently downsized ~600 jobs .
IP (Former Employee), Oa BrookJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers
Cons: no work / life balance, unreasonable expectations for performance, lack of resources to perform job, weak middle management.
Anyone looking to start a career at follett, stay away. This company is undergoing major structural changes as well as having new senior leadership, who has cleaned house extensively. Roughly 600 jobs were downsized in November alone. Many talented individuals have already left and countless more are looking to leave. The situation at follett will only – more... get worse before it gets better. – less
A very successful company
Executive Assistant, Chairman's Office (Former Employee), River Grove, ILJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: a well known and profitable company
Cons: low salaries
It was interesting working for a family owned and operated company. I learned a lot here. I really enjoyed designing the Follett Family newsletter. The high turnover there was unsettling.
Company just axed many full timers for part timers...
Associate (Former Employee), South Bend, INDecember 3, 2013
Pros: can't think of any.
Cons: no job security, no breaks, small raises - if any, no promotions, etc...
Not a very good company to work for.

They just let go many of their full time employees. Now hiring part time help. You'll never climb the ladder and raises are a joke. No breaks during your shift.

Job/Life balance is good since you won't get many hours being a part time employee.