Follett Educational Services

Follett Educational Services Employee Reviews

this is a good job. it is just so far away.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2014
Pros: busy day the passed fast.
Cons: reliable transportation is needed.
I like the job atmosphere. I got along with the co-workers. The day passed very fast with the pace of work.
Fun with great pay
Temporary Account Executive (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 14, 2014
Pros: hours, freedom, compensation
Cons: driving, manual labor
Follett is a book buy back service for k-12. You get a set territory in which you are allowed to buy from which consists of 6 to 20 counties. I did this in the summer months for two years and the best part is you make your own hours. Your office is your home and your car. Downside is you are on the road, but you get compensated for gas quite nicely. You get commission on everything you buy back and receive a base salary. Overall it was very enjoyable. The manual labor of lifting boxes of books can be exhaustive, but I am a young guy so I never found it to be too difficult.
Good place to work, you can be a real hero to your clients
Account Executive, Purchasing (Current Employee), Woodridge, ILFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: helping schools by paying thm for books
Cons: the market for books is retracting
A typical day is visiting schools where you have appointments, cold calling on schools and calling schools to make future appointments. At a client school I would discuss what books they may have and review them to see if we are buying them. In my time with the client I probe to see where all books may exist in the school. I did most of my own marketing and promotion. I worked independently in my territory and learned the best ways to develop new accounts and manage the territory. I developed an excellent rapport with all of my clients and can easily elicit information that helps me to buy books and help my client
Summer job with a fun atmosphere
General Laborer (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Worked in the warehouse with a great group of people. Enjoyed the people i worked with.
Innovative solutions for K-12 educational marketplace
Sales (Current Employee), Woodridge, ILNovember 4, 2013
Had a successful strategy and focused leadership vision, direction
a typical day at work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILOctober 27, 2013
Pros: learn a lot
Cons: gets dirty
i use a rf scanner to scan the bar code for the location of the books and put them away and repeat the process
Fun Place to work at
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILApril 30, 2013
To me Follett was just a fun place to work at and to help students get some money for a seasonal job as it is.
Sales Account Manager (Current Employee), Woodridge, ILMarch 23, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: stressful sometimes
Great place to work . Family oriented.
This job can be stressful because it is Sales . There are deadlines to meet. Targets to meet,
Great Co-workers
The hardest part of the job is making your yearly target.You never know what your territory will have money to buy for that year.
Most enjoyable is making your target at the end of the year.
Great company!
Assistant Salesman and Textbook Recycler (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 6, 2012
-Management is very fun and easy to respect.
-Days were very busy, yet fun, making it easy to come to work everyday.
-A typical day consisted of going to about 4-5 schools and throwing about 300 textbooks in the recycling bin, and boxing up about 100-200 books into boxes.
Blazing hot warehouse with bad work conditions
Temporary Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILJuly 9, 2012
Blazing hot warehouse with bad work conditions.
Between the heat and the noise, don't expect to walk away from the job satisfied.
You will be on your feet all day walking on concrete.
Depressing and lackluster, family owned company with lots of in fighting between divisions.
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILJuly 9, 2012
Pros: great customers, really enjoy working with educators.
Cons: management by fear and threats. this is not a successful management style and ultimately will fail, unfortunately the lower level employees are generally the first causilties.
This company is contracting more rapidly than ever before. The print textbook for the K-12 classroom has had an expiration date on it for years with the emergence of digital books, but this multi-billion dollar group of companies has refused to invest in the technology required maintain relevance and ingores the communication platforms that overworked educators prefer to communication within, such as; social media, email, etc.

Divisional fighting makes the company its own worst enemy and drives margins down on the exact same products being sold to the same customers from multiple divisions. It is ridiculous.

Avoid this organization for now. New leadership and clear direction are needed, but much more contraction and unfortunately job losses are in store for this group in the next few years.
Fast pace
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILMay 22, 2012
A typical day is everlasting. It's hardly room for a break. You working around machines, you doing a lot of walking, bending, and climbing.