Food City Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Piney Flats, TNOctober 11, 2017
Good job for people like me who enjoy working with customers and staying busy all day. I really wanted to put on full time, but favoritism kept that from happening.
Pros
wonderful co-workers
Cons
keeping teenage cashiers in line
Entry Level job without a lot of benefits or upward mobility
Cashier/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loudon, TNOctober 9, 2017
A good "first" job for those in high school or recent high school graduates. Entry-level positions dont carry much responsibility and hours are flexible.
Not the best to be honest
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2017
Being a clerk is no the best job out there. I personally think your better of being at a call center where you are focused and consistently under the heat and feeling like you are beating yourself up for it for no reason.
Don't do it.
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNOctober 3, 2017
I did not enjoy working here as much as I had hoped. It was because of the Store Manager at the location I was in. There was a lot of hearsay and not enough communication between all of management there.
Fun place to work
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNSeptember 29, 2017
Very friendly associates, and customers alike. There really wasn't a great salary or benefits with the company. Huge work load and no check to match it.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Wage, benefits
Usually a slow paced work enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bristol, TNSeptember 26, 2017
This is a great place to work as a first time job. They are very flexible with your availability. I feel the company actual care for the employees. Advancement is achievable with hard work.
Quick-Paced, Corporate-centric
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Harlan, KYSeptember 25, 2017
Hard working staff and department managers, all of whom are quick to give assistance to each other and customers.
Staff will often come away from this job with having learned how to think on the fly, identify and solve problems quickly.

Corporate and Corporate Oriented Managers save for a select few show little concern for employees, even to staff who have been with the company for years.
Pros
1 paid 15 minute break per day, all positions are offered health insurance and shares in ESOP
Cons
negative, sometimes hostile work environment, often unclear or fluctuating rules
it was a great place to work
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Rogersville, TNSeptember 24, 2017
it was really fast paced. had alot of customers that wanted a lot of different things and they would sometimes rush you. the manager was really nice and worked with my schedule with being pregnant.
Great starter Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYSeptember 23, 2017
I took this job as a starter job i have no experience working.

i loved the atmosphere and the people i worked with

best job i ever had

if they had paid more and gave more hours i wouldn't have left
Great job with fun customers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 21, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of many customers and a lot of responsibilities. The management was great and helped in every way possible. The hardest part of work was telling customers a product was not available. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people everyday.
Pros
Discounts, Paid Training and Free uniforms
Cons
Minimum wage pay
Not that good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2017
The manager wasn't doing her job right. Always gave me less hours then everybody else was only giving me 15 hours 2 days a week. The pay was really good
Pros
The pay
Cons
Hours given
Okay place to work but upper management is bad
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabethton, TNSeptember 19, 2017
Upper management has no place being where they are. Pay is non competitive. Hours vary and no overtime. They expect their employees to work miracles and get things done without enough time to do so
FoodCity has been like a second home for many years, but as the years have passed I don't see advancement in making or receiving higher pay! I
Meat Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  507 Clinton Tennessee, 37716September 18, 2017
I will miss the management and people who have become my family, but that does not help me in the long run. To break it down is too say I work hard giving 100 percent and have been told how much I am needed and appreciated, but can know longer receive a raise, which I could use for bills that seem to get bigger! Leaving is not personal and not easy, but I must go where I can make enough money to keep myself out of future dedts.
Pros
The people! Staff
Cons
Low Pay
Good workplace
FRONT-END MANAGER/BACK-UP HEAD CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Kingston, TNSeptember 16, 2017
Food City is a good workplace. There are many benefits in the company, including Stock Ownership after being there for so many years. Breaks are regularly scheduled for every two hours. Good company.
Not enough pay for responsibilities required
Frozen Food Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, VASeptember 14, 2017
Low pay for job responsibilities required. Comraderie and assistance among employees is excellent. Compensation for job duties is sorely lacking, in my opinion, when compared to other industries.
Pros
They made sure you had enough time for breaks, lunches
Cons
Low pay for the job responsibilities
Back Office Mgr/Head Cashier/Scanning Deputy Asst (Former Employee) –  Church Hill, TNSeptember 14, 2017
I worked here for many years in a few different positions. Every day was different and challenging. I watched a lot of 14 year olds move start their career here and really enjoyed themselves. Advancement is a major perk if you work hard and want to move up. Great place to work with a fun environment.
Meet my needs
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNSeptember 13, 2017
I found Food City at a time when I was looking to get back into the work force. I started at part-time and advanced quickly to full-time in multiple job descriptions and have now hit my job ceiling.
Loved this job, hated to leave
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 13, 2017
First management opportunity. Great place to work. Family environment. Easy going managers. Respectful. Fun. I enjoyed going to work everyday which is rare
great team effort
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Loudon, TNSeptember 12, 2017
Very nice place to work. Works with you on your hours if needed and always seemed to accommodate the needs of the employees if they had to reschedule their week.
Pros
very clean place to work
Good for first time job
Fuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston, TNSeptember 11, 2017
No real bennifits or hours, minimum wage, but laid back environment. Good first time job. Management is easy to get a long with and willing to work with school or 2nd job schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food City. Our community is ready to answer.