Food City

Food City Employee Reviews

Very busy and fast-paced work environment.
Front-end Manager (Former Employee), Kingsport, TNMay 30, 2015
Pros: People, customers
Cons: Pay
I loved working here and all the people. The pay was the biggest issue for me. I worked very hard, but pay wasn't much. I believe if they paid their employees better, tenure would be better.
Food City
Cashier/ Pharmacy help (Current Employee), Maryville, TNMay 27, 2015
I love working at Food City! I enjoy providing excellent customer service day to day. I'm very social and I love to see our regulars as well as talking with new customers. Management has recently changed and I'm excited to see what this brings to Food City. I love the people I work with! Customers often tell me that it has a home like feel because of how close we all are.
great place
Night Stocking (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 23, 2015
it is great company to work for.but just like any grocery business they have to cut hours when sales goes down. they have 401k and the pay overtime but they tr their best not let make overtime.
long long late grueling hours, very low pay for responsibilities, nasty belittling managers
Book Keeper (Former Employee), Maryville, TNMay 14, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: low pay for responsibilities, overworked, weak benefits, belittling managers
This is probably one of the worst jobs I ever had. When I first worked here as a part time associate, I enjoyed it. I was then offered a full-time position as a book keeper, so I took it.

I was responsible for basically all the money counting, and tallying up all the registers, counting all the money, and closing the store at the end of the day. I was responisble for counting all cash, checks, credit/debit receipts, coupons and a variety of other things. Very hard tedious work. I was constantly being belittled by upper management about every tiny little thing, from not completing my tasks in time, to not putting the stapler back in the proper place. It was pretty ridiculous, grueling work where you never felt appreciated for anything you did

I was also given MORE work to my already endless work I already had that was supposed to be upper management's duties, but of course, passed down the line to me. I was making 7.50 per hour. Yes. only 7.50 per hour for this type of responsibility forget about any family time. You go in at 5PM, and work until 1AM.

The benefits package you get was pretty lousy too. very weak, and took a large chink out of your already low paycheck. Also, to put the icing on the cake, I was forced on many occasions to work off the clock, because they didnt want to pay me overtime. this was probably one of the worst degrading, high responsibility, low paying jobs I ever had.

Leaving this place was the best thing I ever did with my life. I remember an employee telling me a story that their previous book keeper dropped dead in the office of a heart attack. I'm not surprised. They probably worked him to death. Im probably lucky I got out of there when I did or I would have been next.
very productive and fast paced. i liked working with my co-workers.
Front End Manager (Former Employee), knoxville, tnMay 12, 2015
Pros: Had 30 minute lunches with hardly any interuptions
Cons: Health Insurance
A typical day is opening the store, getting the cashier drawers ready. Then ringing up the groceries for them and making sure employees to breaks, cleaned the store. I learned how to handle money, make sure each customer could find what they needed and how to supervise other employees. My co-workers were great to work with. Polite, done what they were told, and help each other in team work. The hardest part was when someone didn't show up or called in and making sure I had everything for my shift...The most enjoyable part of my jobs was working with my co-workers and helping customers.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), Marion, VA 24354May 6, 2015
• Perform opening and closing cleaning duties
• Help customers find items throughout the store
• Utilize customer service skills to greet all visitors
Injoyed the work at Food City
Produce Assistant (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 22, 2015
While at Food City I did a diverse range of jobs. I started in the produce section, where I prepped and maintained produce inventory. On days where the front need extra works I would volunteer and assist them.
Loving place to work. The reason I still work there!
Floating Manager (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 18, 2015
I have never met such a "Team" as a workplace. No one is ever left on their own to do a hard task. Love my workplace and the people I work with!
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative / Cashier (Former Employee), Seymour, TNApril 16, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Food City. I was able to accomplish a lot while I was employed there. The work load was strenuous, but rewarding at the same time. I would recommend this place as a future employment venture for anyone.
Great opportunity and excellent learning experience
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Marion, VirginiaApril 15, 2015
Excellent customer service work and great opportunity for a first job.

Assisted in quick and efficient checkout service of customers
o Provided carry out service
o Conducted price checks, take "return" products back to proper shelf locations,
o Stocked and help maintain store shelves
o Fronted products and also helps any customers upon their need of assistance.
fun good people
COURTESY CLERK/STOCKER (Former Employee), Abingdon, VAApril 13, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: bad people
loved working here but needed full time and better pay to make a living.............................................................................................
productive work place working with people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), cedar bluff, vaApril 10, 2015
a typical day at work for the first year was bagging groceries and I also was a cashier. after the first year I became a manager and was in charge of the cashiers and baggers giving out teels dealing with money. I learned to open and close the store count the teels and to run the shift. as a member of management I think we did a fair job in the facility. I got along with all the coworkers we worked well as a team. hardest part of the job was not receiving enough hours and having to keep all the work stations clean. the most enjoyable part of the job was also dealing with all the people.
good company
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee), Gatlinburg, TNMarch 27, 2015
Pros: team work and communication
learn new fast tracks and was always informed of updates w departments Good communication w staff and management. everything was good about working for this company and w the staff. knowledge on benefits and job traing was well.
food city is a great place to work for people that don't enjoy physical work
Dept. Manager (Former Employee), Big Stone Gap, VAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Job stability
Cons: need's more of an physical aspect
clock in, prep for the day , clean dept,assist customer's. I did learn how to manage people correctly I do love people. Co-worker's all different and great in their own way. Not as physical of a job that I like but still a good job.Most enjoyable all the people you get to interact with an have a chance to make them smile.
Typicall blue-collar job
Fuel Clerk (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNMarch 25, 2015
Management have been gracious on me working with being a full-time student. I travel 45 minutes to school five days a week. I am involved with two choral ensembles which require requesting off one day or a weekend. The hardest part of the job was communication between fuel clerks and assistant store management. Specifically on requesting work orders for equipment to be fixed or following procedures such as requesting change or delivering cigarettes orders. Recently, my hours have been cut, and I am only available to work weekends due to my school schedule.
Fun workplace
Front End Manager/Cashier (Current Employee), Greeneville, TNMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Getting paidd weekly
Cons: Not enough pay
A typical day at work is having great conversations with strangers, regular customers, and coworkers. I learned when a customer has had a bad day, that a simple small can cheer them up. Our management team at Food City is great, and all the coworkers are. I have made many lifelong friends. The hardest part of the job is when our systems go down, and customers get aggravated with us. The best thing about my job is meeting new people, and putting a smile on my customers' faces.
dairy manager
dairy manager (Former Employee), harlan kyMarch 8, 2015
worked there during high school and a lil after .. Learned a lot about the grocery business and about how it works. How to order departments and also butcher
Food City Day Stocking 101
Day Stocker (Current Employee), Bristol, VirginiaFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: one hour lunch break and worked every other day usually
Cons: worked every weekend, holidays
My typical day at Food City was just coming in and blocking aisles 1 through 15 then stocking the shelf with bulk products. I did learn some valuable information like how to build displays and end caps which also requires to know the products height and shelf so there is not much room to make them look fuller. I had some of the best co-workers to work along side that someone could ask for except one or two but that is with every job. The hardest part of my job was if the manager before i came in didn't run any of the bulk products so that left me with extra work and i sometimes had to stay a couple hours extra but i don't mind that because its extra money it just also happened when i had plans was usually when i had to work over. The most enjoyable part of my job was just working with my co-workers they really made it a great atmosphere and comfortable to work with them.
Friendly place to work if you enjoy working with people
Cashier (Former Employee), Pennington Gap, VAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: good for students in high school or college looking for part time work
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day here would be ringing up peoples groceries and being on your feet all day. Co workers are friendly. Being on your feet all day is he hardest part of the job.
Fast Paced
Front End Manager (Former Employee), Newport, TNFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: co workers
Cons: one member of upper management
This employer was fast paced and offered room for advancement. In three years I went from a cashier to front end management. The hardest part of this job was dealing with difficult upper management. The best part of the job was the environment.
Industry