Food City

Food City Employee Reviews

Pretty monotonous and the management was terrible.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Sevierville, TNJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: my friends worked there and hey money
Cons: everything else
The managers would write you up for texting and then when they had a chance they would be texting their boyfriends and whatnot.
Cake Decorator/Closer (Current Employee), Loudon, TNJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: work environment
Cons: part time hours
I love working at food city but they only hire part time workers.
Good place to work/ hard hours for early morning school
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bristol, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: lots of hours
Cons: late nights for highschool
Stock/rearrange items, front items, teamwork, a good structural place, hardest part of the job was while I was in high school and sick with gallbladder dysfunction the late nights such as 2-2 and than wake up at 7 for school was hard. Good friend ships made here
A nice place to work at.
Night Stock (Former Employee), Crossville, TNJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work was to come in prepared and stock shelves. I was one of the guys to make sure the store look impeccable for the customers the following morning. My co-workers did an awesome job. The hardest part was staying awake all night.
not a great store to work in
Floor Maintance (Former Employee), Lisbon, MEJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: paycheck
Cons: managment an everyone leaving stuff/work for the next person
sweep , wash floors , buff floors
not sure if I learned anything
management wasn't very helpful the last year after jeff left
most co-workers were nice
the hardest part was new management thought I should come in during the day and to sweeps an such that day crew was suppose to be responcable for and they had done the previous four yrs an was immposible to do with hours getting cut to 28 a week
most enjoyable was having a paycheck every week
productive, always put the customer first.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Whitesburg, KYDecember 26, 2014
Pros: discounts.
Cons: bad management, very poor hours, poor pay, schedule changes without being notified.
Food City is a fairly cheap place to shop, if you have a food city card you can get discounts. You do not get good hours or god pay. Some employees had no respect for the customers.
Fun work place
Office Manager/ Front End Manager (Former Employee), Maryville, TNDecember 19, 2014
Helping customers throughout the day and getting to meet lots of new people.
Loved it when I worked here
Meat Department Clerk, bakery deli associate (Former Employee), Kingsport, TNDecember 7, 2014
Pros: hours, benefits
This was a really fun job. Loved the people that I worked with. Enjoy going back to visit with the people that still work there.
fun work place, always meet new people
Store Director (Former Employee), San Luis, AZDecember 3, 2014
report to work, go over previous days KPI'S
walk entire store, check each department, ensure each department is ready for opening of the store
daily calls with VP's of the company- go over daily numbers and performances
daily meetings with department managers
very productive
Cashier/Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Tucson, AZDecember 1, 2014
enjoyed working with my co-workers and meeting new people. loved helping customers!
Job not a career
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Sevierville, TNNovember 22, 2014
Pros: fast paced great co-workers and meet great people from all over the world.
Cons: management was disfunctional.
Daily experience was to take care of customers which I cared about and loved to meet people from all over the world. I learned to work in a fast pace tourist environment. I loved coming to work cause of my co-workers and the customers I got to know as great people to have a work based customer employee relationship. The lack of functionality of the management staff they never new what the other was doing even when they were standing with in feet of each other.
not a bad place to work. good management and co workers
pershable manager (Former Employee), Oliver Springs, TNNovember 21, 2014
Pros: full time job with benifets
Cons: got very busy around the holidays and when it snowed
I work for this company and they allways treated me fair. I was giving a raise yearly and was treated with respect by the managers
Good management.
Cashier (Former Employee), Turner, MENovember 1, 2014
Pros: we got two breaks and the store closed at nine.
Cons: nothing.
A typical day would be going in and starting up the register. I would basically tend to customers needs and check out their groceries and bag them. Sometimes I would go and round up carts outside, along with stocking shelves when business was slow. I learned how to run the register, to zone shelves when you're not busy, and to always rotate groceries when zoning. My management was awesome. They always had everything under control and always had room for you to advance if you were wanting to try a new section of the store. My co-workers were all easy to get along with and loved to joke around. But they were all very helpful and responsible as well. The hardest part was dealing with huge checks, because sometimes you would need to ask management to get more money if we didn't have it in the draw. The most enjoyable part was bagging the groceries and seeing the customers leaving happy.
Meat cutting is a unique trade
Butcher (Current Employee), Livermore Falls, MEOctober 27, 2014
Cut meat, Fill case, Cut special cuts for customers, Grind burger, Wrap product, unload freight,
No room for advancement
Assistant Manager Meat Dept. (Former Employee), Damascus, VAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: hour lunches, great benifits, friendly enviroment
Cons: wasn't happy in current position wanted a change
Hit a stalemate wanted a change within store and didn't happen
Friendly & Productive Work Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Pikeville, KYOctober 9, 2014
Greatly enjoyed working in this friendly, customer oriented environment.
Fast paced work place
Front-End Manager/Daystock (Current Employee), Jefferson City, TNOctober 7, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: healthcare
Customer care and stocking of product are major daily objectives.
Great first job opportunity
Cashier (Former Employee), Kingston, TNSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good first job opportunity, decent pay, decent hours depending on employee reputation and habits.
Cons: not the best insurance, not very many full time opportunities.
Food City was my very first job. It's a wonderful first job, and they established a start for me. There are a few promotional opportunities depending on how long you stay. They work with your schedule and they give you a good amount of hours depending on how you are as an employee. There is some micromanagement, but it'd almost be chaotic without it. You get to know the regular customers and that's the best part about it. The regulars make your day just a little better.

The pay is decent for this type of job. They pay above minimum wage for people with no experience and they tend to pay more than even that if you do have experience. There aren't a lot of full time opportunities unless you become established with it for a long time, so if you have hopes of a full time job, this isn't the best place. But it is a wonderful way to gain experience if you're in high school or just graduating, college, a retiree, or just looking for a small part time job.

This job does offer insurance, even to part timers, but it isn't the greatest. It's $25/week and only covers 80%, but it is a good alternative to a huge deductible.
Working at Food City
Pharmacy Technician and Florist (Current Employee), Blountville, TNSeptember 15, 2014
Well a typical day at work involves doing the best I can to complete the tasks before me.
I've learned in order to be successful you have to remain calm when a situation occurs, and just try your best. I've learned that you cannot please everyone,so just hang in there.
My co-workers are great. I couldn't have asked for better people to work with.
Management,Some are good people to work and I enjoy it and some hardly acknowledge your existence and could have a better attitude and treat everyone the same.
The hardest part for me is seeing people unhappy at times.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that you put a big smile on your customers faces and get the job done.
Friendly customers and coworkers. Great mangement.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Casa Grande, AZAugust 27, 2014
There is always a new and familiar face at Food City. The company makes sure that the customers are satisfied and that they would want to return to the store.

About Food City

Bashas' is working up a sweat standing its ground in the Southwest. The regional grocery chain operates about 130┬ástores (down – Read more

Food City Salaries