Food City

Food City Employer Reviews

No room for advancement
Assistant Manager Meat Dept. (Former Employee), Damascus, VAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: hour lunches, great benifits, friendly enviroment
Cons: wasn't happy in current position wanted a change
Hit a stalemate wanted a change within store and didn't happen
Friendly & Productive Work Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Pikeville, KYOctober 9, 2014
Greatly enjoyed working in this friendly, customer oriented environment.
Fast paced work place
Front-End Manager/Daystock (Current Employee), Jefferson City, TNOctober 7, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: healthcare
Customer care and stocking of product are major daily objectives.
Great first job opportunity
Cashier (Former Employee), Kingston, TNSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: good first job opportunity, decent pay, decent hours depending on employee reputation and habits.
Cons: not the best insurance, not very many full time opportunities.
Food City was my very first job. It's a wonderful first job, and they established a start for me. There are a few promotional opportunities depending on how long you stay. They work with your schedule and they give you a good amount of hours depending on how you are as an employee. There is some micromanagement, but it'd almost be chaotic without it. You get to know the regular customers and that's the best part about it. The regulars make your day just a little better.

The pay is decent for this type of job. They pay above minimum wage for people with no experience and they tend to pay more than even that if you do have experience. There aren't a lot of full time opportunities unless you become established with it for a long time, so if you have hopes of a full time job, this isn't the best place. But it is a wonderful way to gain experience if you're in high school or just graduating, college, a retiree, or just looking for a small part time job.

This job does offer insurance, even to part timers, but it isn't the greatest. It's $25/week and only covers 80%, but it is a good alternative to a huge deductible.
Working at Food City
Pharmacy Technician and Florist (Current Employee), Blountville, TNSeptember 15, 2014
Well a typical day at work involves doing the best I can to complete the tasks before me.
I've learned in order to be successful you have to remain calm when a situation occurs, and just try your best. I've learned that you cannot please everyone,so just hang in there.
My co-workers are great. I couldn't have asked for better people to work with.
Management,Some are good people to work and I enjoy it and some hardly acknowledge your existence and could have a better attitude and treat everyone the same.
The hardest part for me is seeing people unhappy at times.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that you put a big smile on your customers faces and get the job done.
Friendly customers and coworkers. Great mangement.
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Casa Grande, AZAugust 27, 2014
There is always a new and familiar face at Food City. The company makes sure that the customers are satisfied and that they would want to return to the store.
Very lax work environment and easily manageable hours.
Day Stocker (Former Employee), Morristown, TNAugust 22, 2014
Pros: can cash your checks as soon as you get them. can get groceries right away after work.
Cons: not enough hours
Through the week isn't bad at all, usually really laid back. On the weekends or when a storm is coming everyone stocks up, but those are really the only hard days.
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Paintsville, KYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: great environment
A lot of chance to improve and advance. The management was great and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers.
Excellent and very professional customer service guaranteed
Cashier (Former Employee), Kodak, TNAugust 15, 2014
fun and professional job, love to deal with all customers and meeting new and established customers
fun place to work
Cashier/Bagger (Former Employee), Lisbon Falls, MEAugust 15, 2014
Pros: fun job enviorn.
Cons: not enough hours
i was a cashier and a bagger, worked with a lot of customers. i loved my co workers. enjoy working with people.
Drama Filled,
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Wilton, MEAugust 13, 2014
Pros: easy scheduling, vacation time, lunches, frequent breaks
Cons: no chance for raises/advancement
You work with the same people every day, there are cliques, and it is like being in middle school. There are good things, the customers can be really nice and bring a smile to your face, which makes going into work every day a little bit easier. Management doesn't want to be management and tells every one that will listen that. It is not a bad place to start out, but there is no chance to advance or get better. You do not want to be a lifer here.
The whole place is like high school all over again.
Floral Helper/Video Helper (Former Employee), Kingston, TNAugust 12, 2014
Pros: you get paid every week.
Cons: requesting days off or certain work hours is difficult, members of mange meant are also somewhat immature.
How your work day went often time depended on who was your manager. In management there are some individuals who are more mature than others. Each department of the store had different ways are requesting time off so they were not always very good at working with you when it came to scheduling. This is a work environment full of mostly teenagers and young people so they are almost always hiring due to the high turn over rate. If you ware looking for a long term job then I would suggest somewhere else but if you need a job for the money till you get that better job then this place will work.
great place
Overnight Clerk (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 23, 2014
A general night would consist of me stocking all merchandise in the right place in a short amount of time while setting up displays.
Excellent job with close bonds and cooperation
Frozen Food Manager (Former Employee), Independence, VAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: advancement opportunities, skill building
Cons: lack of proper tools to do job more efficiently
A typical day at work at Food City included unloading stock from the delivery truck, doing inventory, and stocking items on the shelves with the overflow going back into the freezer in an organized manner. I learned how to be a leader and how to efficiently utilize my time in order to achieve the best results. Management was very involved in ensuring the best work environment was provided. My co-workers were all willing to help one-another regardless of the department. The hardest part of the job was maintaining proper inventory for seasonal changes, though this was compensated for by experience and preemptive actions. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming in to work every day with people I considered family and interacting closely with customers to help best meet individual needs.
Fun place with great co-workers
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Tucson, ArizonaJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, great managers.
Cons: busy holidays
Great first job made really good friends there and was always kept busy. I learned great customer service skills and how to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment. Co-workers and managers were great to work with, only had one bad experience with one of the managers, but definitely had more good times than bad times. The hardest part of the job was the fast pace environment, which was not very hard to accommodate to. The most enjoyable part of the job was to be able to work with good friends any shift.
My job is never the same, and new customer service skills are required everyday.
Cashier/Trainer of new Cashiers (Current Employee), Dandridge, TNJuly 16, 2014
Pros: meeting new people everyday.
Cons: long and late hours, pay isn't that great for the experience i bring in my position.
I really like working with the public, but miss the office environment. I work really late hours while going to school, however, I don't call-in and I'm rarely ever late. I train the new employees, help oversee the baggers and their job performance, handle customer complaints, if there isn't a solution I can provide I forward to the appropriate manager who can.
Front end clerk/ computer room operator
Front End Clerk (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 14, 2014
When I first started I got hired on as a cashier. I greeted customers, rang up grocery transactions, helped keep front end clean, watched over the self checkout podium, ran the service desk and ordered certain items for inventory. Now I work in the cash office balancing the safe and balancing tills. I have greatly enjoyed my co-workers and management was always very flexible with my needs.
Loved This Job
FLM/CASHIER/GAS N GO/VIDEO (Former Employee), Kingston, TNJuly 8, 2014
Cons: under train you.
Great grocery store. Managers willing to work with difficult schedules. Clean atmosphere.
My time at Food City was enjoyable and stress free. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Scanning Coordinator, Bookkeeper, Cashier (Former Employee), Middlesboro, KYJuly 7, 2014
Pros: co-workers and customer service. no taking the job home.
Cons: no health benefits
At the position I left the company, Scanning Coordinator, I worked independently making sure prices were clearly marked and correct, as well as scanned with the correct information, as changes occurred. Working with outside vendors ensuring the product they brought into the store matched inventory lists as well as displayed neatly. Overseeing staff in assisting with price changes and pulling items to validate scanning through cash register was the hardest part of the job due to relying on others to pull the items to be scanned. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers and co-workers. Management gave clear instructions as to what was needed and required of me with a reasonable time frame in which to complete the job.
very creative envioroment
Baker (Current Employee), Livermore Falls, MEJuly 3, 2014
Pros: very creative envioroment
Cons: not enough hours
The management staff encourages creativity of creating new products to be sold to our customers.

About Food City

Bashas' is working up a sweat standing its ground in the Southwest. The regional grocery chain operates about 130┬ástores (down – Read more