Food City Employee Reviews in United States

Productive Workplace
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNFebruary 15, 2016
I drive 45 minutes into town, punch in, take my coat off and put my apron on. I take a moment to do my "beginning of day" electronic tasks on the handheld computer. Then, I pull my cart of cake out of the freezer.
My boss arrives about thirty minutes or more after I do, and by the time she arrives, I have already pulled my out of date cakes to slice for the dollar table, and I have put away the bags and utensils that were washed the day before.
Then I make a list of all things missing off of the floor and in my case. Then, I pull my orders-for-the-day out of the box and tape them to the counter in front of me. I then proceed to fill my floors, case, help customers, do my orders, answer phones, slice meat or run the register on deli side, and other odds and ends running around the store.
By the end of the day, I have everything full, plus back-ups. I crush my cardboard and wash my utensils. I wipe my counters and make sure my lids are sealed tight, and that left over cake has been wrapped and placed back on the cart, to go into the freezer. I finish with sweeping my workspace and making sure that everything was the way I found it when I arrived. I do my "end of day" on the handheld, I clock out, and I go home.
Productive and fun workplace with Food City
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day would be cleaning the store, running a register, gathering buggies, bagging people's groceries, stocking the store, and unloading trucks.
I learned how to stock, run a register, and how to unloaded trucks.
I disliked my managers because they were biased and sexist.
I loved my co-workers. I made friends with alot of them.
I did not get paid enough nor did I get enough hours.
I loved my friends and everyone I worked with except the managers.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours or pay
enjoyable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Loudon, TNFebruary 7, 2016
This store was a decent job. There was nothing exciting or that really got me to go in everyday. It was more a less a job. I did enjoy the time there.
Good Job while going to college
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNFebruary 5, 2016
Good working with school schedule and with job learning and advancement. Pay could be better. had to work 98% of weekends most holidays
Pros
Good management
Cons
Not a life long career job
Okay place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clintwood, VAFebruary 4, 2016
Cashier is not a hard job. Sometimes too busy--not enough lanes open. Hours cut without notice or explanation. Seems to put some employees above others.
Really friendly people, helped you learn, always willing to help
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJanuary 29, 2016
When I worked for food city I really liked the people there. They trained you to service their customers. Everyone was very helpful with any question I had, and was always willing to help a employee learn.
Friendly atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNJanuary 24, 2016
I loved everyone I worked with. Everyone and management was great. I loved meeting new people and all our customers. It stayed pretty busy. Which made the day go by fast. Great deals as well.
Pros
people
Cons
not enough hours
Great Employees
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Galax, VAJanuary 21, 2016
Never a dull day at work, just never busy. The entirety of my days spent there waiting for customers to ask for meat or cheese to be cut. Occasionally I would actually get to make food, such as potato and macaroni salad. Nothing ever difficult or fun. Then the rest of the day was just spent cleaning the slicer, and sanitizing other equipment.
Customer Service Manager
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 13, 2016
I was a C.S.M. at Food City in Knoxville Tennessee for 1.5 years.
Typical day at work was counting tills, spot checks on tills, cash checks, money orders, drops, deposits, answer phone, customer service office, manager of the front of the store.
I learned more about being understanding to the customers concerns.
the managers were great too many to name.
the co-workers were awesome and always on top of anything that they were to do or that i asked them to do.
the hardest part was being pregnant and on my feet for a full 8 hour shift but did it no complaints and enjoyed it.
The most enjoyable part was seeing a customer walk out of the store satisfied with their visit.
Pros
favorite job
Cons
Had to quit to be a stay home mom.
Good work enviroment with nice people.
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Wise, VAJanuary 10, 2016
Food city is a good company to work for. I love the atmosphere and it is very easy to get along with everyone because we all have the same goal and that is to make the customer happy.
Pros
Free water
Cons
N/A

Want to know more about Food City?

Ask a question
Hbc and spec manager
Hbc & Speciality Manager (Former Employee) –  Dandridge, TNJanuary 10, 2016
I love the fast pace and friendly customers. I stocked and rotated and cleaned shelves always happy and on the go.. Great people and awesome customers
Very great place to work. Love going to work every day
Stocking Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 4, 2016
I love all the coworkers they were great. the management was okay some of them were nice and some were just okay. The hardest part of the job was lifting the heavy boxes and that wasn't too hard.
Overall a great place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Bristol, VADecember 31, 2015
I love working here. The hours are great, although I would like to have more, I'm happy to have a job. The only bad thing about here is their lack of communication, but that comes with most any job.
Pros
flexible schedule, managers will work with you
Cons
unorganized, lack of communication
Diversity
Human Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 26, 2015
Company needs to be more diverse. Work days are too long and not a family oriented company therefore it is hard for a working mother. The distance from the store and home life for single mothers.
Meeting new people and getting to help them
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Anderson County, TNDecember 21, 2015
Done morning walk through and morning meeting with department heads. done payroll and inventory purchasing and ordering of products for store week to week. Good leadership and problem solving with customer as well as employees.
Working at Food City
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lenoir City, TNDecember 16, 2015
The staff taught me very well, they explained how to do the job very well. They are very nice and will help you when needed. The only thing I didn't like was that we didn't get any discounts at all. The job itself was very enjoyable. The part I liked was that I received a high pay than minimum wage when I started.
Pros
Paid higher than minimum wage
Cons
No discounts
Great Place
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Crossville, TNDecember 15, 2015
Great place to work and everyone who works here were wonderful and always willing to teach and help whenever needed. I absolutely loved every moment of working here and hated to leave.
Safe Atmosphere
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNDecember 13, 2015
It has been nine years since I worked here but I still frequently shop at Food City. Great business model, great staff, and it was an excellent place to work as a teenager.
Pros
Safe enviroment, fair pay
Cons
At times lazy co=workers
Relaxed enviroment
Day Stocker (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 12, 2015
Good people to work with for the most part. Perfect job to have while in school. Everyone was nice to me besides my boss, he later got fired a few months after I left.
Promotions Available
FRONT END MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Vonore, TNDecember 4, 2015
I like the friendly, positive and welcoming work environment and the ability to move up. However, raises are hard to come by.
Pros
friendly work environment, not a difficult job
Cons
hard to get a raise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food City. Our community is ready to answer.