Food City Employee Reviews

This job is good only for students and retired people.
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, VAMarch 17, 2012
This company will not accomodate you in any way. If you have children at home you might as well forget it. You can't work until midnight one night and be back at 6am when you have children at home but yet they expect you to. They wouldn't take me off night shift even after I stepped down from my management position and after I had been employed with them almost a year. Not a good job for a person with a family.
Pros
good chance of advancement.
Cons
schedules
Not what I thought...
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 5, 2014
After working here for a month, I decided to resign due to the management being completely and utterly unreliable. I am in school and every shift they decided to give me was against my school schedule, and they knew it. The co-workers are great, and I met some pretty cool people. But management NEEDS to be fixed. They are also very avoiding when it comes to talking about your current situation and not being able to cope with their given schedule.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
everything else
I enjoyed working in the retail food industry
Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZAugust 27, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. I was able to learn a new skill, learned how to prepare some new items I was unfamiliar with. The most difficult part was the language barrier with the clientele, that being they spoke mainly spanish, so I had learn how to communicate in another language.
Pros
learning how to prepare different items i was unaccustomed to.
Cons
the position started out as full time, then my hours were gradually cut to less than part-time
My history
Culinary Arts Student (Former Employee) –  Damascus, VASeptember 13, 2013
I get there earlier then what I need to be and work non stop and I never give up. take your time but make sure you do it right the first time so you don't have to redo it if I did have to redo it I learn from my mistakes. Really good management. My co-workers were really happy with my work they never did complain about it and they loved the way that I made the food for the costumers and for them. None I loved my work. To make the costumers happy and see them smile.
Pros
lunch or diner break
Productive, busy days, always staying busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vansant, VAJune 4, 2014
A typical day at work would be ringing up groceries, busy most of the time. I have learned how to deal with money and be responsible, and also learned how to talk to people . Management was strict and that was because most co-workers were lazy and didn't want to do their job. To me it was a good thing they were strict. The hardest part of the job was bending down or lifting things most of the day. The most enjoyable was talking and getting to know my customers.
First Job
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Blountville, TNApril 6, 2014
My experience with this local grocery store chain was short, but it was not a half bad job. It kept me busy when I was not doing something with the school band. They did a fair job with me, considering that I was still a high school senior, got through a little bit of my college career, but the hours were always limited due to my studies. I went out on a bad note, but the job was hard work.
Pros
paid fifteen minute break, hour lumch break
Cons
terrible weather conditions, rude customers on occassions
friendly co-workers. Awful management.
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYAugust 21, 2012
The store would have been a fun place to work, if the management wouldn't have gotten so bent out of shape over a missed day of work and a doctors excuse. I called in one day and sat in the hospital for 3 hours. The head manager proceeded to yell and tell me that i was only going to be working 4 hours a week from then on out. The next week i worked 4 hours and the week after that i wasn't put on the schedule at all. I wasn't informed that i was fired or anything.
Family friendly workplace structured around team work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 10, 2011
Overall I was very impressed with my employment with FoodCity. They worked around my school schedule and even rehired me when I returned from college in the summer. Managers alsways worked along side the employees and everyone worked as a team. Even during stressful times it was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
flexible schedule and friendly atmosphere.
Cons
minimum wage starting pay, mostly part-time jobs, no benifits or discounts.
Great Job
Cashier- (Former Employee) –  Oneida, TNJune 17, 2013
My work at FC varied sometimes daily. One day I might be at the cash register and the next day working frozen. I spent about a year of my time in the produce dept. In the 3 years I worked at Food City i work in nearly all the departments. Everyone was friendly and i was able to make many friends. This is a great job for a young person ad I was about 24 when i work there. Unfortunately FC closed down at its Oneida location.
Pros
job variety, good pay for the time, nice people.
Cons
part time.
managment staff was great, very easy to get along with
Meat manager/buyer seafood manager (Former Employee) –  lisbon,bridgton,turner,lewiston, maineJanuary 3, 2012
food city had a nice atmosphere. the work was hard, but you were rewarded well. It was also a very secure company. 100 years from now i know they will still be in business. and a very open relationship with the owners and general manager. they listened and utilized advice i had given them.
Pros
many pros.good pay, flexable scheduling, professional atomosphere.
Cons
long way to travel for me personaly

Want to know more about Food City?

Ask a question
Deli in store, 1hr. lunch, paid holidays for full time employees
Seafood Associate (Current Employee) –  Wise, VAOctober 1, 2013
Set up meat and seafood displays. Stock all product in seafood cases on sales floor. In water and cold temperatures for most of the work day. Management is fun to work with, coworkers more fun depending on your people skills. The cold is the hardest part of the job. Talking to new people is the best part of the job.
Pros
fun atmosphere, depending on your people skills
Cons
working in the cold most of the day
It was a good job with good people to work with
Store Manager- Tim Collins (Current Employee) –  ShelbianaJune 16, 2015
Food City is just a grocery store job I picked up while in school. They worked around my schedule very well and the job made life easier during college. The managers are all very nice people and the store is usually always busy. The job wasn't hard just very consist with doing the same thing, I'm ready for hands on work and putting my schooling to use
Pros
Very easy job
Cons
Doing the same thing all day
Love my Co-Workers
Deli Technician (Current Employee) –  Paintsville, KYAugust 10, 2013
The job overall is very hectic and hard but without challenge I wouldn't learn anything more. I have so much respect for my co-workers they are always there to help you when you need it. Without people like that in a work place it would be like working with robots. This job has tested many things in me. I have grown so much because of this job. I will miss my co-workers more than anything!
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no discount for working there.
It was fun working at night with my co-workers and my manager.
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 16, 2012
I would work with 3 other guys and my manager and it would be just us and it was cool cause we didn't have to be bothered with customers. Everybody took pride in keeping the store clean. I've learned so much from being a night porter. The only thing i didn't like was the routine i had to do. Meaning working at nights and sleeping during the day.
Pros
we would get free food.
Cons
short hours sometimes.

Comment – May 14, 2012

Food City in Arizona is not the same and are not owned by this company.

Front end clerk/ computer room operator
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 14, 2014
When I first started I got hired on as a cashier. I greeted customers, rang up grocery transactions, helped keep front end clean, watched over the self checkout podium, ran the service desk and ordered certain items for inventory. Now I work in the cash office balancing the safe and balancing tills. I have greatly enjoyed my co-workers and management was always very flexible with my needs.
food city is a great place to work for people that don't enjoy physical work
Dept. Manager (Former Employee) –  Big Stone Gap, VAMarch 25, 2015
clock in, prep for the day , clean dept,assist customer's. I did learn how to manage people correctly I do love people. Co-worker's all different and great in their own way. Not as physical of a job that I like but still a good job.Most enjoyable all the people you get to interact with an have a chance to make them smile.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
need's more of an physical aspect
Great opportunity and excellent learning experience
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Marion, VirginiaApril 15, 2015
Excellent customer service work and great opportunity for a first job.

Assisted in quick and efficient checkout service of customers
o Provided carry out service
o Conducted price checks, take "return" products back to proper shelf locations,
o Stocked and help maintain store shelves
o Fronted products and also helps any customers upon their need of assistance.
Productive place to work
Daystock (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNJuly 7, 2015
I learned many things about the retail industry from this opportunity to work here. A typical day is very fast-paced and requires you to be very productive. In order to be productive, you have to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize each one.
Overall great place to work with many opportunities for promotion and friendly management.
Pros
Great management and promotion opportunities
Cons
Short breaks
No money but good working environment
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 23, 2013
I love working there because it's a job security because of less competition for jobs since it pay only minimum wage. I like it but I need to make more money eventually to survive. Great as a second job I would say temporarily.
Pros
no money or future, no benefits and not enough working hours allowed.
Cons
job security, good management, second job, healthy job environment.
we dont have time to play at work
Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Turners Falls, MADecember 8, 2012
I always have a good day at work.
I learned the basic of this job .
good management.
i really get alone with co- workers.
none everything is good with me.
working with my boss and learning new things everyday that give me the experiences for other jobs
Pros
i l like that i go to break when am done with my first choices .
Cons
no problems with breaks if i need to go before my break finish back to work i do it.