Food for the Hungry Employee Reviews in United States

Food for the Hungry is a faith-based international humanitarian non-governmental organization with evangelistic bias and fervor.
DIRECTOR OF FOOD SECURITY (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2012
One spends a typical day working for program proposals to seek funding mostly from USAID. This requires poring over data on human development indicators and country profiles and economic analyses in developing countries.

I learned the importance of in-house development tools for capacity building to include project partners and beneficiaries as well.

Management structure and rather complex with criss-crossing supervisory authority in diverse locations.

Unlike me, a Catholic, and the first black worker, all co-workers were fervent evangelicals and caucasian.

The hardest part of the job was work overload on account of several unfilled positions.

The most enjoyable part of the job was project site visits in Africa.
Pros
my supervisor, who was the vice- president, liked me personally. also, the work involved travels.
Cons
poor work/life balance
Highly productive workplace with extremely positive attitude, and passion for work
Jr Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 4, 2014
Our department held daily meetings, to discuss what we were working on, and any blockers on our work that we have encountered. Everyone was encourage to lend a helping hand to those who needed it. FH overall promoted a positive workplace, that embraces interdepartmental communication and teamwork. FH is a place that knows family comes first, and is very open to the needs of its employees. Everyone I worked with was fantastic! There was never a bad day for anyone, because everyone who worked there, wanted to help FH make a difference in the world. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the communication between departments, as policies are not the same for everyone.

I really enjoyed the flexibility I had with my hours. There was never any pressure from other departments to get a project done. There was a high level of trust.
Pros
showers (i ride a bike), 401k, vending machines, flexible hours, high amount of paid holidays, chapel service, prayer room
Great place to work. Great job with a great mission.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 31, 2013
I learned a lot about management styles at this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the less fortunate.
Very interesting Organisation
Accountant and Assistant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Zeway ProjectDecember 30, 2012
Work load
Good management system
Profession focus assignments
Pros
good organisation
Cons
nothing
This is a great challenge and highly demanding but also Very good on humanitarian outreach, experience, growth
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  South SudanOctober 19, 2014
I am currently the Finance Manager fro my organization. This is a high level leadership position within the organization. My responsibilities include strategic direction, leadership, finance management, analysis and advisory to the Country Director and entire senior leadership team (SLT).

My typical day involves, accounts verification, policy advisory, internal controls enforcement, budget monitoring and forecasting as well as mentoring my team.

I have learned quite a deal in my current position as well as previous ones on my ladder to the Finance Manager position. I have broaden my understanding of finance management and strategic planning in one of the most challenging and difficult places to work. I have grown in my career and have been challenged by the amount of responsibilities that prepared me to always be ready to play a greater role in the program and improve the quality of services.

The Management structure includes program and support services. The Finance Manager responds to the Country Director, who acts as the Chief Finance Officer. The structure includes as well a senior leadership team, whose role and responsibilities are to develop the country strategy and advise on policy issues. The Finance unit, itself comprises of a Finance Manager, a finance coordinator, a senior accountant, accountants and cashiers. The team includes both national and expatriate staff, which offers a great opportunity of cross-cultural learning. There are eight nationalities represented on the team and this diversity is a wealth in terms of learning, experience and culture.

My co-workers
  more... are wonderful and talented people with a great potential for growth. I feel the obligation to help them grow through exposure, delegation and mentoring. It is amazing to work with such a team even in the most difficult places and hardships.
Working for a not-for-profit organization is absolutely rewarding in terms of humanitarian services extended to the most vulnerable. I feel privileged to be part of a team that delivers, life-saving, rehabilitation and recovery services to the communities.

I enjoy serving the program colleagues and ensuring they get the best services and can deliver and change lives. I am always challenged by the volatile nature of humanitarian response whereby changes in the operation context, logistics constraints and access issues have an impact on the financial health of the organization. This part is particularly difficult as it is unpredictable despite the scenario planning and contingencies.
Pros
exposure, cultural diversity, humanitarian outreach, experience, growth
Cons
the place where i work lacks the basic infrastructure, health care, this is a great challenge. the nature of my job is highly demanding, and at times, i cannot enjoy my leave time as planned.