Food Lion Employee Reviews

Found 4,191 reviews matching the search
A good starting place, but definitely flawed
Part-Time Sales Assistant/Customer Service Leader (Former Employee) –  South Congaree, SCFebruary 20, 2017
I think the biggest problems I had with Food Lion were specific to my location. The management was very unstable, with managers from other departments often going against each other and just making things difficult for the other associates. Some senior managers flat out lie to employees to keep them coming into work, and fail to deliver on promises of promotion or giving raises. The best things I got from working in the office at Food Lion were the customer service skills and the banking knowledge. Aside from that, the job barely kept me supported financially, and it was far more stressful than it ever should have been. I don't know if its the same company wide, but in the store I started, taking advantage of part time workers is the only thing keeping their business running.
Pros
Easy to learn, great starting job for experience, not much else to say
Cons
awful management; little to no pay, even with promotions; dishonest treatment of part time workers
Great First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yadkinville, NCDecember 22, 2016
A typical day at work was easy as a cashier. Our only duties were customer service and keeping our area clean. I learned most of my customer service skills here, as it was my first job. Management was nice and friendly, and understanding when it came to school. This particular store had a high turnover for cashiers, so I never got to know any of my co-workers very well, but they all seemed nice. The hardest part of the job was changing technology. I worked there for three years, and six months before I left, I had to be trained on new systems. The most enjoyable part were the regulars that came in. I even got to meet the mayor of the town I was originally working in.
Pros
opportunities for promotion, annual and merit based raises, flexible hours
Good at first
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCDecember 16, 2016
They call it "the make it or break it store" A typical day at work would usually be chaotic. We were almost always understaffed or overstaffed; no between. I learned to work my hardest no matter of a raise or praise. Management could use a bit of work. The management I dealt with was almost always rude, even after being there for months. Which taught me no matter what, I will do my job and not be affected by rudeness or attitudes. My co-workers were usually wonderful. In all honesty the job was not hard, the most enjoyable part was dealing with some pretty great people, I went into the job not being a people person but now I love making people smile.
Pros
Customers, outgoing Supervisor
Cons
new managment
Bad pay, overworked, two faced manager
Customer service lead (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, NCJanuary 18, 2017
Management expects you to be two people at once and be in two separate locations at once. Two faced management, tells you to do one thing, then gets mad because it was a bad call on their part.

Bad pay, long hours, bad management, two faced management, no benefits, getting in trouble because they schedule you OT.
Pros
Cons
not following federal laws, bad compensation for work, no opportunity for promotions, bad raises
I do not stop working from the time i step foot in the deli...till I clock out. A lot of physical work.
Deli Lead (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCFebruary 13, 2017
We have gone to making a lot of things fresh. Which I do think is a great thing but Food Lion can keep you so tight on hours that you end up pulling the floor, slicing fresh meat for baskets, filling floor, making fresh sandwiches, putting in rotisseri chickens, cooking hot bar and making sandwiches which all need to be done by noon. Then you will have a perishable or a frozen food truck that needs to be down stacked and put away. I do enjoy working with the public but Food Lion has us so task oriented that it is hard to give good customer service when you are juggling so many balls.
Pros
always jobs in retail. It will take you years to make a good wage but there are always jobs
Cons
with a company this big/ Insurance should have lower deductible. Pay raises are too low.
Great Oppertunity
Blocker/Cashier/QA/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Altavista, VAFebruary 27, 2017
The things you do at food lion are deceivingly easy.
The description and application is straight forward but when applied leave you stupefied due to the simple long repetition.
Management was amazing a our store. They were nice, understanding, and hardworking.
The culture was relaxed and well balanced. You could talk while you got your job done consistently and productively.
The hardest part of my job as a blocker was the brain dead robotic movement for hour and hours at a time. It's very taxing on your sanity.
When all is said and done Food Lion is probably the best entree level job you could ask for. The pay is good, the hours are negotiable, and the jobs a simple but challenging for new hires.
Pros
negotiable hours, easy to learn, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
mentally taxing
A typical day in the Food Lion Deli/Bakery Department
Deli Bakery Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 17, 2017
A typical day at work was rather hectic, but time flew by. I learned a ton of things, how to do inventory, how to make and decorate cakes, how to make schedules, how to effectively provide exceptional customer service, and how to order for our trucks. I was the manager of the deli/bakery department so I would manage my employees to ensure quality customer service. The hardest part of my job would probably be conducting inventory once a month, and making sure all counts are exactly accurate so my inventory didn't come up off. The most enjoyable part of my job would be interacting with the customers and my employees.
Pros
good pay, decent benefits, excellent work enviornment
Cons
short breaks, and long hours.
Great Place to work! Good working Experience!
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, GAMarch 5, 2017
Food lion is a Great place to work at. The management is really caring, knowledgeable and know how to manage. Management team at the store is very professional and like to see us succeed and is willing to help you as much as they can. All stores arent the same though. Started at another store, transfered to another store and its great!!! Food lion Is a great store but it all depends on the management you have and the associates that work with you. Always room to grow as a person and opprounties to learn other departments in the store. Great company if your about working your way up in the company. The department managers are great! Willing to teach you and pass down all the infornation that they know. They wanna see you succeed not fail.
Pros
Great management, good co workers, room for advancement, learning other areas of the store, taking care of all of our customers
Cons
All stores aren't the same, it depends how the managers are
Busy workplace with constant responsibility providing for customers
HBC manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 5, 2017
An obviously important job- making sure people get what they need when they go grocery shopping!
Keeping the shelves stocked, the food fresh, the customers happy. Clock in, check the shelf displays, head to the stock room and replenish what you had in storage. Back up on check out lanes when called (almost daily), bag groceries, help people find what they wanted.
Learned to order, rotate stock, address customer concerns, and make displays attract attention.
Coworkers were mostly hardworking people providing for themselves and their families.
The hardest parts were short lunch breaks and late delivery trucks!
Most enjoyed regular customers who got to know you if you were there long enough. They made the job more personal.
Pros
Steady job, opportunity for advancement, and good benefits
Cons
Lunch breaks were short.
Foodlion Experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Conway, SCJanuary 20, 2017
my first experience with foodlion was great. the staff was more than welcoming with all open smile. the helped me learn up until assistant management position. foodlion changed when i transferred to a location in conway,sc where the management staff didnt want to see the best of my work ability and would hold me back from my raises and promotions
Pros
great environment
Cons
negativity from management
Productive harsh environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sylva, NCFebruary 17, 2017
A typical day is everyone relying on me to do their jobs. I was not a manager or supervisor in this job, however people relied on me to do their jobs for the.

I learned that you need to do your own work and your own job.

Management was not great. It was scattered because when you needed someone, they were nowhere to be found. There were many times I needed more money for my till, but no supervisor or manager was near to give me more money from the safe.

The workplace culture was very poor. There were many groups of people who spoke of others behind their back in the workplace and outside. It was a very rough environment to work in.
Cons
Short breaks, rude coworkers, rude management
Decent company for newbs
Deli Associate / Janitor (Current Employee) –  James City, NCOctober 11, 2016
I've worked hard for over a year now for the Food Lion company, and out of all the places I've worked (which isn't many), I have to say working for Food Lion has been the most enjoyable. The management are a very fair, hardworking, and understanding people, that work around your schedule and use you to your full potential. For high school kids, those just starting to work on your resume, or if you're looking for a part time job to supplement your income, they're a well rounded business.
Pros
good management, fairness
Cons
hard to move up, zero benefits, no job security
employees are treated badly
stock (Former Employee) –  Loudon, TNDecember 11, 2016
Management is super lazy and horrible. You do the work of three different people and aren't paid well for it. Benefits are horrible. You pay too much money out of pocket before insurance will pay. You work long hours and the managers don't help out. Managers sit in the office and take it easy while the store busts their rears to get the job done.
Pros
will work around your schedule
Cons
management, pay, benefits
Got me on my feet
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, SCJanuary 23, 2017
Food Lion was a good place to get my bearings and see what is was like working at a sales position. It taught me that no matter what you can't please everyone and that some people would rather keep to themselves. The company overall has some flaws, but nothing too bad. The registers are run via computer yet Delhaize America would rather implement handheld radios instead of making the slightest improvements on their dying computers. Some management was rude, but overall friendly. This is a great temporary job.
Pros
Job security, meet new people, friendly staff
Cons
No employee discount, poor scheduling, short breaks
Easy money for College Students
Part Time Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 3, 2016
Enjoyable place to work when you are able to get along with coworkers and customers . Management is cool, Front end associates are sometimes all over the place, but great multitaskers,Grocery workers are able to get their work done in a timely fashion,but only with enough people to help with the process of stocking and breaking down trucks .
Pros
Pay, Hours are very consistent if not in school
Cons
pay raise could be more, favortism
Good place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VA 22407February 3, 2017
Good place to work, however higher management is not the greatest, depends on position your working in for home and work life balance. Good job security and benefits
Simple product handling, fast and friendly days
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, GAJanuary 28, 2017
*Register and scanning work
*Learned about time management
*Nice workplace culture
*No schedule flexibility
*Enjoined all the work experience and helpful staff transitioning me in my first job
Pros
Prompt and multiple breaks
Cons
No known benefits
Food Lion, Cashier, Deli Associate, Customer Service Leader, Front End Manager
Office Associate, cashier (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 5, 2017
I learned proper time management and how to productively assist customers with different scenarios. The job was rewarding and enjoyable.
Cons
Low compensation, rare raises, not willing to give good hours
Easy work with good schedule
Lead Stocker (Former Employee) –  Denton, MDMarch 17, 2017
Food Lion was a good place to work with competitive wages depending on your position. The biggest con was lack of communication between management so you had multiple bosses telling you to do opposite things and when you did something wrong you had to be reprimanded several times
Pros
lunch break, accommodating schedule, health insurance, vacation and holiday pay
Cons
too many bosses, not enough communication amongst management
Fun working with my coworkers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 13, 2016
It's a good working environment, we get a lot of loyal customers. Interacting with my coworkers is always fun, we get along very much. The management is there when you need them, they take care of us if we need something. They don't judge us for our mistakes.
Pros
get off once the time hit
Cons
Part time working full time hours, pay isn't good, work too hard and don't get any raises or bonuses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Food Lion. Our community is ready to answer.