Food Lion Employee Reviews

Very concentrated company looking to move forward in their market and get a leg up on the competitors
Produce/Stock Crew/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Swansboro, NC, Jacksonville, NC, Wilson, NCAugust 31, 2015
Management that allow you to take on responsibility and learn from your mistakes. Fun place to work but you must be able to work hard and treat customers with the respect deserved
Interesting people to work with and friendly customers.
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCAugust 31, 2015
I would likely go into work, greet my coworkers and begin the necessary tasks to get the sales floor in my department ready for the 2:00 customer wave. We would down-stack trucks, Stack produce, then work on placing the stock out on the floor as necessary, often providing customer service while working on the stock room as well.
Pros
Relatively fair pay, Friendly coworkers, Interesting people and customers.
Cons
Incompetent and Lazy boss, Not enough hours, Backbreaking labor.
management
cashier (Current Employee) –  quintonAugust 31, 2015
Front end cashier and expected to get carts when its 90 degree and then come back in and wait on customers as sweat is dripping down your face and neck. Poor management no respect for her employees poor pay for the good employees. management sits outside numerous times to take smoke breaks.
Pros
non
Cons
non
enjoyed job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clyde, NCAugust 31, 2015
worked as cashier
worked in deli
worked stocking
worked pt while working ft elsewhere
worked for this company two different times and locations
Pros
enjoyed working here
I will do the best work you need
any job (Former Employee) –  Clemmons, NCAugust 29, 2015
I would start the day out by cleaning the floors and wiping down the walls I would go outside and check the outside area for trash and debris in area. I learned to check closely for debris in areas.I got along well with management while I worked there. I got along well with co-workers. The hardest part of my job was to always check the areas for debris not a problem but a learning experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was I always had something to do.
management
cashier (Former Employee) –  seaford, de 19973August 29, 2015
Depending on the manager that you will have you have some who have there favorites and treat some people more special and show favortism.
Pros
Cons
non accountability
Fun Work place
Stock Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCAugust 28, 2015
This was my first job so this gave me a good start in the work environment & it also helped me keep out of trouble. the job that I had to do was stocking which was a very laid back job.
Very friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCAugust 28, 2015
Food Lion was a very friendly and welcoming environment. I learned a lot about team work there and the co-workers really accept you quickly, even if it's your first day.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 27, 2015
good support team, fun place to work, great place for personal growth as an individual and associate of the company
many opportunities to move of the chain of commandment to a management position if desired
A good first job for high schoolers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fuquay VarinaAugust 26, 2015
This job and position is more for high schoolers that still care about their social life. They are very willing to work around your schedule and days that you need off. The culture here is really nice, the other associates and some customers are what have kept me here this long. The managers are really down to earth and are willing to sit down and talk to you like your best friend. There are a few people who once given a little authority, let it go straight to the heads. They stop treating you like their equal like they did when you had the same position. However, the bad part of this job is once you graduate high school and are ready to buckle down and get some serious hours they will not give you steady higher hour weeks. If you have worked there 10 years and they hire new people, prepare for your hours to get cut to barely nothing. You will have people who have no experience get hired on the front end and you train them. Eventually after a year or two that person you trained will either be your supervisor or will make more money than you. Thats why after you graduate high school either leave Food Lion or get a better position in the store or you will be stuck.
Pros
willing to work around your schedule, nice associates and customers
Cons
No employee discount, cut your hours real quick, not much of a chance to work your way up
Unorginazed.
Bakery Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clemmons, NCAugust 25, 2015
They didn't train me to do what I need to do. I had no help learning how to maintain my work area properly. I would not recommend anyone to apply with this company.
Pros
non
Cons
no breaks, no help, no benifits
Learning and training in different areas of the store
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVAugust 25, 2015
I started as a cashier that was suppose to be learning and training in the office. My store manager seen that I have experience in different areas and then had me train setting the sales ad and I just learned and trained in DSD receiving. I check in all the vendor's, file the paper work, and make sure they are stocking their merchandise.I also help another associate with her department bu unloading the truck by putting HBA merchandise out along with other grocery merchandise. I enjoy learning and training in different areas and management is great to work with.
Pros
Friendly, caring, understanding, enjoyment
Cons
nothing
Great place to begin experiencing challenges of life after high school.
Quality Assurance Associate -- part time (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAAugust 25, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new and interesting people. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up other people's messes.
Pros
Interesting co-workers, decent first-time job.
Cons
Being subjected to very bad language of superiors.
Boring and lazy work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pawleys Island, SCAugust 25, 2015
You stand at the register and get carts from the parking lot. That's about it. I had a horrible time with Food Lion.I stayed here for almost one year and I only got one pay raise and it wasn't much at all. I wish I had picked a different job to be my first job ever.
Pros
Some of my co-workers were friendly.
Cons
The manager had a bad attitude.
It was that once in a lifetime experience with all the right people in all of the right positions.
Dairy & Frozen Food Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 25, 2015
It was my first time working with a 'Hand-shake and Smile guy" for a Manager. He would meet us at the door when we were to clock in and genuinely thank us for being there and get us fired up for our shift, then meet us on the way out to thank us for everything we did that day.

He cultvated a family like work enviorenment throughout the store. This was one of the few places where it seemed everyone took pride in their position on the team.

He constantly invested in all of us to try and help us learn how to grow within the company.

I would return to this company again to work without a second thought, I only left to return to Military Service.
Pros
Profit Sharing, great atmosphere
Cons
Wouldn't cover current lifestyle family is accustomed to in that same position
Productive and great environment to work for.
Word Processing Operator (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCAugust 24, 2015
Going to work to make a difference on my job. Responsible for corporate and staff work to be sent out in a timely manner and in a very professional way. I enjoyed every moment of my job.
Meh
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Powhatan, VAAugust 23, 2015
I always wanted to take on more work but when I asked I was always rejected. It never made sence because they always talked about how they where overwhelemed but wouldn't let anyone help with additional tasks.
A okay to work for your first job
Front End Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spring Hope, NCAugust 22, 2015
My typical day at food lion is very stressful, I learned you go do what you are being paid to do in a kind manner and get the job done, management was not/is not the way it should be. The hardest part of my job was/is keeping a good mind set while you are having a customer complain or yell at you. The enjoyable part was learning about the people i worked/work with and meeting the customers and seeing them have a smile on their faces when they walk out the doors.
Cons
benefits, hours
Excellent place to work!
Grocery stocker (Former Employee) –  Canton, NCAugust 22, 2015
I worked there for almost four years, not one regret. The management team was awesome! Great environment for someone in high school, college or just looking for a part time job.
Pros
Flexible schedules, Nice management, organized environment
Cons
Dealing with people and their food prices
Work too long and trying to leave
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MD 20678August 21, 2015
I started off as a bagger. A bagger do cleaning the restrooms, sweep and run the floor machine through out the whole store, vacuum the carpet, get carts, and take out trash.

Now I'm a cashier. Ringing up customers, clean registers, and take out trash. Since Prince Frederick, MD food lion store don't have baggers anymore that the cashiers have to go outside to get carts before our breaks/