Food Lion

Food Lion Employee Reviews

Found 2,834 reviews matching the search
Great First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sneads Ferry, NCFebruary 10, 2016
Great Experience, Hrly Pay was awsome especially for some one at the age of 16 such as me. Careing Co Workers, Steady Paste. Fun and Productive
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Picking and caring over 30lbs at 16
Typical workday
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day at Food Lion includes me opening the store at 7 am. Upon opening ensure all cash registers have to accurate amount of money in them. Also make sure each register station has appropriate supplies to help the day run smoothly. Greet all customers and employees. Take cash/credit card payments. Assist any customers or employees with any problems or concerns they may have. I enjoy being able to help people. You can make a person/s day by just smiling, or listening to them.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Lack of hours, healthcare
about me
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 9, 2016
its great, i enjoyed work there. i learned to work with different people and cultures. my management team was awesome. my co-workers worked as a team always. he hardest part of thee job i would say it wasn't because we've always worked as a team. the enjoyable part of the job is help the customers because i love helping people out.
I enjoyed the experience.
market/ perishable manager (Former Employee) –  Roseboro, NCFebruary 9, 2016
My work days were long and unpredictable, the hardest part of my job was running the meat, frozen and dairy departments without being fully staffed. I did enjoy completing tasks even though I was never fully staffed. it gave me a since of accomplishment.
Pros
I liked dealing with the customers
Cons
Short breaks, long hours.
Good except pay.
Cashier/Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Forest, VAFebruary 8, 2016
They are a pretty good company to work for. They will advance you and train you if you show progress but they will not want to pay you more even though you are doing more work and if you become salary they will completely take advantage of that and work you 60 hours a week as needed.
Cashier
Cashier Register (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Greeting people is the most important thing, communicate people makes the day go by faster, team work. The job isn't that bad as long the people don't ruined your day, and know what you doing.
fun place to work
customer service, and general office duties (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAFebruary 8, 2016
the customers were the high point of my job, I also enjoyed the employees that I worked with. The management team were the best. They care about the employees as well as the best interest of the company.
Pros
human contact every day
Cons
dealing with angree people
Terrible place to work!!
Frozen/Dairy Associate (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCFebruary 7, 2016
I started working at the Henderson location in November 2015 as a stock clerk. The frozen food person quit and I was placed in that position. The freezer was so packed with back stock, you couldn't get in the door. I worked extremely hard, and by January 2015, I got it under control. I had to get help from management as it relates to plan o grams, tags, and minor help in running back stock, I became the bad guy. Management did not want to help, and only did so when ordered to by the district manager, or due to a bad audit. I was rarely able to make a order because management would not schedule me to do so. Working here was a big mistake and waste of hard work and my time.
Pros
Day shift hours
Cons
Too many to list. Management is horrible!!!
Unprofessional management, low pay, revolving door of employment
Front End Cashier, Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Wadesboro, NCFebruary 5, 2016
The lesson here was to see how things should not be done; how NOT to run a store. The store manager was involved in his personal reputation (a narcissist) and was referred to as "The Dictator" behind the scenes as he "ruled by fear". The Assistant Manager and the other Customer Service Managers had their hands full groveling to the store manager's whims. Treatment of employees was based on the store manager's opinion. This was similar to a king in his court with bowing and nodding minions running to provide his every wish and desire. The Assistant Manager was one of the minions, changeable opinions and was also the hiring manager, and went through at least 20 cashiers during the time I worked there and always it seemed that it was some personal issue the Assistant Manager had with the employee that caused their departure. That person was terrified of stepping out of favor with the Store Manager and fired people with frequency without explanation ( which they/ FL are not obligated to provide). My experience was being shifted from front end cashier to grocery stocker, and then repeatedly denied the wage increase that is typically earned for higher risk, physically demanding job. After filing twice for an investigation to find out why I couldn't be paid that wage, my files were closed without any investigation at all. This was over a three week period, which by then I was already working elsewhere. I never quit . Although it's been a year since I was there I was still on "active" employee status as of a few months ago and still receiving blank schedule emails from them.
Pros
Employment that is all. Never again
Cons
Bad hourly pay, unprofessional management, bad work environment
Fast kind and steady work place
Cashier, Stocking (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 5, 2016
My job is to basically make sure all dirty linen is out of dirty vacant rooms as well as trash and to make sure all closets that i'm assigned with that day has everything that housekeepers will need and to also make sure the floors are very clean in hallways
Did like working there
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 5, 2016
they are not a fair place to work they don't do what they say. and the managers don't know what they are doing. I would not tell anyone to go work for this company.
A very good place to work with friendly people good Managerment them
Cashier/Associate (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCFebruary 4, 2016
I thought Food Lion to be a great place to work and a very good work environment and with a good staff, and great workers. Food Lion had some of the best customers I ever had to deal with. The typical day was fast pace between 75-80 Customers in my line a day. I leaned to multitask at high speed with good customer service. The Management team was right on the money if I needed any help with customer demands my co-worker where very good at there jobs and Fun to work with. The hardest part of my job was needed to know I had room for advancement. I enjoyed being part of Food Lion and asking to the needs of others,
Pros
Learning the food busness
Cons
Busy and entertaining place to work.
Deli bakery associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 4, 2016
Love love loved working here! Great staff, management could use some speech improvement and people skills. Great hours rotating shifts and available extra hours if you need them and the store manager is very understanding. very family oriented place to work.
Pros
Ocassional free lunches
Productive workplace that will always keep you busy
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 4, 2016
Always meeting new vendors and truck deliveries, constantly straightening shelves and checking merchandise, cleaning or helping the front end during busy hours
Pros
great work enviorment
Cons
minimum wage
selective work, judgemental managers, unsanitary cleaning equipment
QA ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Grottoes, VAFebruary 3, 2016
food lion is not a good place to work as a Q&A associate its unsanitary and they don't have proper cleaning equipment. I was not treated well by my managers and they didn't have certain pieces of equipment necessary to make the workplace safe (i.e. an eyewash station). My day had a routine and if i finished it early i got yelled at for not doing any work when i literally had nothing else left to do. it was awful
Pros
discounts on certain products
Cons
no breaks, could only work 4 hrs at a time
positive prodictive and fun workplace
Quality Associate (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 3, 2016
I like my job at food lion
I learn to speak more
the management is good
I love my co-workers
the hardest thing is back tracking
that get do other stuff than who what I do every day
They are very nice people , and are fun to work with.
Sales Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chapin, SCFebruary 2, 2016
They have good service , they help the people when they are needed they are always on time. Working with them was a pleasure i would advise anyone to apply they would love it.
Its not terrbile but not fantastic.
Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Seaford, DEFebruary 2, 2016
In my department hours have gone down to 5-15 a week, which is not enough to live off of. Just about everyone I know that works at Food lion has another job.
Misleading information about work hours and advancement opportunities
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 2, 2016
I have worked at Food Lion for a few months and have already experienced 3 different store managers. I was told there would be possibility of advancement only to find out that the only full time employees are in manager positions and all front end employees are part time and are cross trained to be able to keep you thinking they will give you more hours. This has been very discouraging. Even when working in other areas (combined) you are kept anywhere from 12-28 hours total, therefore no benefits!
No wonder they cant keep help!
Never a set schedule! Never set amount of hours!
Store managers seems to promote from their previous store rather than from the dedicated employee pool.

Food Lion is only a good place to work if you are already financially secure and just want a part time job.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Never a set schedule! Not enough hours! Management sucks!!
Good Company
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Disputanta, VAFebruary 2, 2016
I worked a good number of hours during the week. I was able to do overtime. The benefits were good. I boxed goods and picked orders and placed them on a belt for packing.