Food Services of America

Food Services of America Employee Reviews in United States

Well driven associates who thrive on excellence
IT Support Leader (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 9, 2016
When starting my day, I start to receive several IM's from team associates excited about being at work.

What I learned:
Work to build awareness of factors that influence team performance.
Learned to examine performance with respect to those factors.
Take action to improve effectiveness.
Set common goals, make decisions, resolve differences, and solve common problems

Management:
Look at associates as problems and not a solution

Co-Workers:
Willing to do their best everyday

Hardest part of the job:

Most Enjoyable:
Excitement of team associates coming to work everyday.
Pros
Great team associates
Cons
Healthcare benefits
Very diverse company, you don't feel isolated. Great opportunity to improve and grow of your profession or career
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 9, 2016
Very good benefits for the employees. Co-workers are nice and willing to pitch in when needed. Always learning new things and fun to work with team as well as individually.
Pros
Many free food days, rewarded and commended of good job done. Management is excellent
Cons
Healthcare contribution is high.
One of the best jobs I ever had
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 30, 2016
I worked 9-6 Monday-Friday, answered the phone both inbound and outbound calls to communicate to clients at my desk, had 3 screens to jump around from web site; fsw.com salesforce, to auto quotes to in order to sell restaurant equipment to new and existing clients.
Management was very supportive on our sales floor with me and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was to be diverse in all the different products that we offered on the web site, we had up to 40,000 items that the customer could purchase. The most rewarding part of the job was to assist customers in their new/existing business ventures that they were creating and starting up. You never knew were your customer could be calling from because we were an Ecommerce company and they could be calling from anywhere in the world.
Pros
Great Christmas Bonus, Presents For Family, Work Outings Rockies Games
Cons
We grew to big to fast
Good union job with great pay (drivers experience)
Driver (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 12, 2016
FSA is a great place to work if you can deal with a very physically demanding job. The other drivers and warehouse personnel are awesome guys to work with and make this job a great place to come to work everyday. The small down side is a lack of management with experience in the day to day of what the drivers actually do all day. As a driver you are tasked with delivering all the products to the customers by hand & hand truck. That means you are outside no matter the weather. You are typically driving mid-sized trailers and box trucks, into some very tight places. In all FSA is a good, fair place to work with some awesome people and customers. schedule
Pros
Union, great coworkers, awesome break room
Cons
very little home life b/c of odd schedule
fun work place
A&A Associate Staffing - (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 11, 2016
As a shipping lead I would normal arrive to work about a half hour early to complete my time and attendance duties, my credit calls and respond to emails before the shift starts at 11:20am.

After that, I would conduct on occasion the morning meeting with the shipping/loading teams giving them updates on the previous nights work and any other pertinent information necessary. At the conclusion of the meeting, I typically would finish my spread sheet on the previous days errors that we received and then browse the routes for the night from transportation. This was to see if there were any changes benefitting both the warehouse and the driver with each of our daily motions.

For the rest of the day I would periodically checking on my grocery selectors and my emails to see if there were any issues that needed my attention. If there were any issues that needed more than my attention I would pass them along to my direct supervisor.

Over the course of 7 years working for GFS, I learned how to build relationships, manage more people than I ever thought I could at one point in my career and how to serve my employees, and customers, with the best service possible.

When I was a leader in our Ocala facility, the management team there was flawless. We had a perfect unity and understanding on how we all wanted the warehouse to perform and how we wanted to satisfy our customers. We executed that understanding daily, monthly and yearly, year in and year out for 7 years.
Pros
15min
Cons
1hr
Worst 2 weeks of my life!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJune 5, 2016
I had an amazing interview, but everything changed when I started working. I didn't know who to go to for questions because my so called manager had a new role.
my "trainer" couldn't explain icons and didn't know the name of applications. She would say "to the right", " no,not there, go up", "it's RIGHT THERE ". She also gossiped about quite a few people, including the HR director.
I had an extremely difficult family emergency and because it was in a different state, I was told I would be fired if I went to be with her. The first day of my third week, I was let go and told I didn't do anything wrong. I had not made a mistake, I wasn't reprimanded for anything!!
BTW: my family member was diagnosed with cancer, What kind of person can live with themselves after being so hateful and selfish??? They have to live with it, not me!!
Pros
Not there long enough to know
Cons
Horrible HR Department
Fast paced and evolving
General employee (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 29, 2015
I would not personally recommend the Food Service department to anyone as it is a very demanding job for college students. The pay is the highest on campus but you have no real benefits and its hard to find people to cover shifts.
Pros
Free lunches, best pay on campus
Cons
Strick management for college students
Interesting Learning Place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 22, 2016
Long hours and wonderful service for the customers. The management there found ways to get us to try knew things without it being dangerous. Most of co-workers are easy to get along with then there's the co-workers who try to tell you what to do when the boss said something else which would get irritating. I learned how to recognize food allergies, different ways to cut up food by the recipe, and to make sure there was enough food. The hardest part of this job was having to deal with the co-workers who didn't know what they were talking about or cooking with my own personal allergies.
Pros
Free meals, allergy knowledge
ok place to work
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 22, 2016
A typical day at work is unloading groceries at customer. Repetitive lifting. Learned my way around Seattle area very well. Would rather not comment on management at this time. Co-workers are a good bunch of people willing to help each other out if/when needed.
Pros
lots of o.t, if into that, good bebefits if a union employee. drive decent equipment
Cons
everything else
productive workplace
administration G&A (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 3, 2016
I have learned a lot from this company. I received most of my experience in the accounting field from my advancement into different job positions. It is easy to come to work everyday because of the work environment and my co-workers.
Pros
an hour lunch
Cons
lack of communication sometimes
Fun & productive work environment
Project Developer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COApril 11, 2016
My typical day was a combination of managing accounts, working on projects as a direct support role for the sales department, completion of quotes & communication with vendors. Most of my time was spent working in Auto Quotes with the use of Salesforce. Towards the end of my time with the company I was in charge of handling the Home Depot account & was trained to load product skus, as well as pricing, into our systems. Management & Co-workers were lively & made the work day fly by. The hardest part of my job was being apart of a 2 man team & having large amounts of work come in at once. The best part of my job was completing projects & getting closer to our goal for the month, which we would reach 90% of the time.
Pros
Fun work environment, Vendor meetings/training sessions, free lunches, provided lunch at cafe, laid back but still professional, relaxed dress code, time off wasn't limited & fairly easy to have approved.
Cons
Raises were an issue, business wasn't managed properly which caused the company to lay off most of its workers
Great concern for the dream of their employees
Sales Consultant/Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodburn, ORNovember 1, 2015
Food Services of America provided me and my family with an opportunity to work near our children in the Portland area. The company treats their employees and customers with respect and care.
Pros
Great management support
Cons
Salary and pay not the greatest
Fast-paced with high expectations of quality.
Lunchroom Technician (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAJune 17, 2016
This is a high-energy, fast-paced position that requires strict application of all government sanitation and food safety rules. Because you are in a school you are expected to be professional at all times. Generally, the climate is good. As long as everyone does their jobs, the day flows smoothly. Very satisfying when you see the happy children who enjoy the product you have made for them.
Pros
Friendly environment, good hours, off summers
Cons
Constantly fast-paced, alot of scrubbing
Great family-owned company
DISTRICT SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 11, 2016
Great company to work for. Plenty of opportunity and great people. Best Food Distributor in the area to work for. You are family here.
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 1, 2016
A typical work day would be to log in on time, starting packaging meals to be delivered to United Airlines for the passenger manifest. I learned how meals or prep and process for the safety of the food. Management was good, made sure breaks, were taken and lunch time was given , or if overtime was needed. My co-workers worked as a team player and helped out at times if an co-worker was behind. The hardest part of the job making sure every meal was accounted for and extra meals were given
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Run away!!
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 14, 2016
Stay as far away from this place as possible. Worked here for 17years and treated like dirt for last 5 years. No respect for drivers and hard work you do here. Management cares only about numbers and hates people who are on FMLA or are sick or injured. They will find away to get rid of you and play favorites games with employees. Stay far away from here as Union does little to help you out when you need it most
Pros
Not a lot!
Cons
Management will throw you under the bus to self preserve themselves!
Company in downward spiral
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 13, 2016
The company has made some bad decisions, the company now has a cash flow problem.
The company has laid off half the work force in the last 6 months
Pros
free lunces
Cons
bad management
Would like to work a job that allows me to grow and motavites me
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonSeptember 26, 2015
Processed delivers to be sent to customers on a daily basis. Reviewed accounts that were past the deadline and need to be change to COD meaning that they would have to pay prior to receiving the order. Spoke with accounts to work and get the debits paid off and get them off the COD report.
Pros
health benefits, vacation
Cons
management micro manging
fast past
shoppers food (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDNovember 19, 2015
I was a cashier so I worked by the doors and that was not good stayed sick most of the time. i liked working with my coworkers and other departments of the store
Cons
hours was bad no real raise
Different work environment
Hard worker (Former Employee) –  Sturgis, MIJuly 5, 2016
Working for Canteen Services was a good job over all but poor training. I was trained in how to run the day, basic paperwork, and computer work but you are never really trained in how to handle inmates. I was given a book to read, as a training manuel as how to deal with inmates. I learned a lot about food temperatures, and diets. The hardest part was watching what to say around inmates but be stern and friendly at the same time.
Pros
less stress
Cons
inmates

Food Services of America Reviews by Location